• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Save my Sheik

PK Webb

Smash Champion
I've been using sheik for about 4 days in all and i want some constructive advice on how to make her better. Sorry for the poor quality i don't have the best recording equipment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfLvBvGQ-cc

I know i don't ftilt enough and im working on that and i didn't change to zelda because i want advice on sheik only. And i need advice especially on the chain because i don't know situations in which to use it since it can be very punishable. If the video doesn't work tell me and ill try and fix it. thanks for your time.

demodemo

Smash Ace
tell your brother not to play link. his recovery is poop

you had some very easy gimps in there, and i feel like you are not experiencing the harder parts of sheik

nice followup after the tilts

ADHD

Smash Hero
You need to stop rolling as much in general to make you a better player, and if you roll like that even if its not too often, you will get pwned.

Try getting him in tilt lock out of a dtilt, and use more dsmash and onstange vanishes. You have a pretty good framework for sheik so good job.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
ok ill try and stop rolling so much, so instead of rolling what should i do fox trot????? and the on stage vanishes i should bait him in then vanish??

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Alright, I guess.

You don't Smash much. Or Vanish, which are her two most powerful moves.

Hard to tell unless you play a better player. Someone that knows how to recover, preferably.

I like that you follow up, and stay outside of his swords reach.

I can't give you anything to work on until I see a better matchup.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
my problem is there aren't alot of smashers in my area and unfortunately im worlds above the few smashers that are around. by no means am i trying to sound BIG im just say i am the only one around here trying to get better. Oh and no wifi doesn't help either

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I know what you mean. As far as I know, I am the only brawler in the entire country.

Watch vids of the good players and see what they do. If there's things you like, try them out and if it works, adapt your game. Works for me.

Besides, if I were where you are, I'd be playing "with anyone" all the time. I'm lucky to get like, 10 frames/sec over here.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
A couple of things. Grabbing is one of the quickest punishers for most characters. However, don't use it all the time. Like when Link missed a dair on you (in the first match) 1:22 and 1:40 you grabbed him. I was expecting a running up smash, maybe an f-smash, f-tilt lock, needles? (you didn't have them charged though). In general try to get the most out of chances you get to punish.

Also get in some grab hits. I don't think you ever pummeled them once in the whole two matches. Also stop f-throwing, you only d-throw and b-throw once each and ever other time it was f-throw. When you d-throw'd at 2:50 you got a nice combo with double fair and d-tilt and nair. But you scrwd up your recovery, would have been awesome if you realized you had your second jump left. Again in the second match at 3:30 you f-throw punish his missed dair. Go with running u-smash since you barely use that move.

Yeah and basically don't roll as much (spotdodge?) and use some more smashes. Hope you improve.

Edit: Oh and one more thing. You aren't using f-tilt at the fullest speed. That's why Link keeps escaping. Just go into training mode and practice the timing. If you do it correctly you won't move forward as you do consecutive f-tilts and sheik should look like a spinning kick top of sexiness XD. This will definetely help with linking combos. And watch some Ankoku vids. There is a thread where he posted some really good ones.

imdavid

Smash Journeyman
its very encouraging to see you practicing and refining yourself so much, ^^

you have a very good concept of what sheik is about, may i suggest you throw in some jabs though? helps when in real close combat, 2 jabs set up nicely for a grab or dtilt-> ftilt

nice work off the stage, try to improve your over all edge game b/c most character's arent as easy to kill as link. good use of your aerials, was quite pleased to see lots of nairs, might consider using a rar bair though

good luck!

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Thanks everyone for your advice i'll try and alter my style of play a little. i'll post up another vid when i think i've improved

ADHD

Smash Hero
ok ill try and stop rolling so much, so instead of rolling what should i do fox trot????? and the on stage vanishes i should bait him in then vanish??
Its all about spacing, usually if your opponent is a roller, you can predict him. You should roll if you are trapped at the edge and are in a tight corner. But most of smash is played sharing blows back and forth horizontally, not switching sides constantly. I can't really explain this well :dizzy:

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Its all about spacing, usually if your opponent is a roller, you can predict him. You should roll if you are trapped at the edge and are in a tight corner. But most of smash is played sharing blows back and forth horizontally, not switching sides constantly. I can't really explain this well :dizzy:
Don't worry i understand what you are saying and ive already started to weed the extra dogdes out of my way of playing. i think your right about the whole predictable thing

PK Webb

Smash Champion
I've tried to take all the advice given to me and this is where i am now. I feel i improved a little bit especially since i don't dodge as much as i use to. Still working hard. I want to eventually make a combo vid that will bring more people to the sheik community. Still i would like criticism and advice. My friend mains marth and yes thats still my little brothers link so sorry bout that. I cut most of the matches short because there was abut 20mins worth of tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU_oEVCM7FM

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The two of you are playing rather single-mindedly. This would be almost somewhat okay, except that

1. This is Brawl.
2. You're reaction and overall movement is slow, even for Brawl.

It's a good policy to stay moving, and it was rather silly seeing the "shield fsmash, miss grab on him rolling away, shield fsmash, miss grab on him rolling away" part. None of us are close to robots, so please don't play like one.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Single minded??? I only have one brain how else should i think. I'm just messing with you. Well since your the sheik to look up to i'll try i mix it up more if thats what you mean by single minded.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Please refrain from speaking on my behalf. ^_^

Putting words into my mouth is the #1 way to piss me off.

Top Bottom