• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

sandbagging

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
so I found out what sandbagging was today, I thought it was kinda funny so I thought why not, I'll post it here >_>

(22:11:31) DullRazor: Sandbagging is disrespectful; it shows that the person isn't worth your time. There isn't a single person on here I consider 'not worth my time/full effort'
(22:11:52) EternalCrusade: what is sandbagging btw?
(22:12:07) DullRazor: sandbagging= purposefully not playing your best, Eternal.
(22:12:08) Charizard: Sandbagging = not trying your hardest, actually.
(22:12:08) Kamano: Sandbagging = doing badly on purpose
(22:12:12) Kamano: holy crap
(22:12:26) EternalCrusade: oh thanks, everyone lol
(22:12:40) Charizard: Holy crap we all said the same thing within two seconds of each other.
(22:12:48) Kamano: that was amazing
(22:12:56) AxemRanger: wait a minute here
(22:13:03) Kamano: even with the same sentence structure
(22:13:04) AxemRanger: can someone clarify what sandbagging is?
(22:13:16) EternalCrusade: I think its when you try youre hardest Axem
(22:13:23) AxemRanger: oh
(22:13:27) AxemRanger: then god I sandbag alot >.>
(22:13:35) EternalCrusade: haha
(22:13:43) Kamano: lol Axem
(22:13:47) EternalCrusade: its a cheap tactic, it should be banned for tournament play
(22:13:56) Charizard: xD
(22:13:56) AxemRanger: your right.
(22:14:12) AxemRanger: I'm ashamed of my unethical practices.
(22:14:15) AxemRanger: In fact
(22:14:21) EternalCrusade: you should be! XD
(22:14:27) AxemRanger: I should make a new account to atone for my crimes
(22:14:35) AxemRanger: it'll be called "ISANDBAGOMFGLUKOUT"
(22:14:35) EternalCrusade: XD

This was just a thread for a light read and maybe a laugh but feel free to use this thread now to discuss sandbagging, your experiences with it and your opinions on it =P ...or use it to talk about your favorite food, i dont care lol

Kip

Smash Rookie
Nice Hive-Mind in there.

Other forms of sandbagging is when someone never plays their main until there's money. I've seen that one a lot at tournies. A fox main messing around with GW for hours/days with everyone in casuals, then switch to Fox once the tourny started. Doing so lets such people know how to play against you with giving you the same chance.

I found a blog by Azen online before (not going to look it up for you, sorry. Wii's internet isn't the easiest to multitask with) with him basically flaming sandbaggers. He mentioned a number of high-level players and said to just not waste your time playing them. Much respect for Azen (most fun 6 hour losing streak I've every experienced), both in how/why he plays and how he treats others. (IE: worth looking the blog up).

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i only start it once u won lik 8 games in a row. theres this epic vid i saw ken doing it to chu

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
I sandbag all the time. What's the point of playing my very hardest outside of tournament matches? If I do that, I won't be able to experiment with other strategies and the like that I would like to explore, and have to reduce my style to what I know will work, which is...quite frankly...boring.

Plus, it's funny to sandbag vs someone, then **** them later and leave them going "WTF?"

mangodurban

Smash Journeyman
anytime i play with my friends i have to sandbag, or they all want to quit after like 3 games. I usually let the games run to 1 stock each. Against good players im going to play my best, but if im a good deal better than them sandbagging is necessary if you want to keep playing with them.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
There's a difference between sandbagging and exploring. Sandbagging is purposefully playing poorly or not up to your "fighting potential" to embarrass an opponent. Playing a separate character until game time is more on the exploring end, if you want to get good with a character or don't want to reveal all of your aces early on, using a secondary is perfectly fine.

Exploring is playing to find out things about the game, not necessarily playing to win or ****. Messing around with the game can give a player some interesting tools and insight for when they need the win.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
My friends and I play a lot of Melee at school. I often sandbag the scrubs because I just can't take them seriously. It's also a lot funnier because you're just fooling around. But then once the asian kid comes with his shiek and tech skill, I play for real.

sesshomaru

Smash Journeyman
I usually dont sandbag but looking back theres some matches i wish I would have. I played a few smashers (one in particular) and won really hard without letting up. The one dude lol, such a cool guy, but he was like 3 lives down in a 4 stock and i waveshined him to shine spike for the ****. He was real cool about it as always "whoo d*mn sess to good" and the like but then i felt really bad lol. I really wish I hadn't put 110% in because little kills and an actual fight would have led to a more enjoyable experience. My take and experience with sandbagging anyway : /

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
If you don't sandbag every once in a while, you don't learn new things. It's not a dirty tactic, it's just a different mindset.

Tenki

Smash Hero
LOL!

disrespectful...? oh snap.

I was in a 3 player FFA with a guy who I'm sure is better than me (at least, he's better at more characters than I am), and a random 8-12 yr old looking kid, in a rec room. It was the kid's first time playing Brawl (he played Melee) so I gave him the GC controller and I switched to wii-chuck. I was using Ike, and I targeted the good player first, with prejudice.

At the end, since the kid's been losing in last place forever, I made it look like I was attacking (lol go go Ike lag) and let him kill me.

._.; so the guy who was really good ended up in last place against a little kid and someone using wii-chuck, not that I think wii-chuck is bad or anything xD.

haha...ha..

shal

Smash Apprentice
holy hell lmao, im always getting argued at cause im supposedly sand are a sand bagger >.<

billywill

Smash Journeyman
I sandbag against my one friend because he is so annoying and just camps the whole time

saberhof

Smash Master
well i cant really sandbag other people, because the other people i play usually want to play Free for all...and its just boring, so i just pick Marth...sandbagging?...or i just loose because of too much boredum, i think Zhu's theory is self explanatory...boredom...

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
LOL!

disrespectful...? oh snap.

I was in a 3 player FFA with a guy who I'm sure is better than me (at least, he's better at more characters than I am), and a random 8-12 yr old looking kid, in a rec room. It was the kid's first time playing Brawl (he played Melee) so I gave him the GC controller and I switched to wii-chuck. I was using Ike, and I targeted the good player first, with prejudice.

At the end, since the kid's been losing in last place forever, I made it look like I was attacking (lol go go Ike lag) and let him kill me.

._.; so the guy who was really good ended up in last place against a little kid and someone using wii-chuck, not that I think wii-chuck is bad or anything xD.

haha...ha..
Yes this is the only exception in my opinion. I HATE it when good players go all hardcore against little kids, it's just plain mean. At momocon this year, I played a little kid who played as Ike and he wasnt half bad but I played him on Lylat Cruise and let him win =P

and I think some people thought I was playing serious and they were praising the kid for his skills ^_^

saberhof

Smash Master
^ once it looked like i was going hardcore to a kid, but i was just practicing all the techs that snake had, i never knew i was hitting him, it was pretty funny tho, but after that i was just letting him win...

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Whenever I have one life left and the person is falling in the background on their last life, I run off the side and die first. Usually they stop paying attention and when it says they won they're like "wtf!?"

But I sandbag on people whom I know suck and I cant get better from. Unless they want me to play hard that is.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
LOL at the picture above me...corn flakes + milk = ZOMG FIRE

Whenever I have one life left and the person is falling in the background on their last life, I run off the side and die first. Usually they stop paying attention and when it says they won they're like "wtf!?"

But I sandbag on people whom I know suck and I cant get better from. Unless they want me to play hard that is.
In friendlies, when my opponent is about to die, I try to run off the side and make it so my explosion is on screen when the game is over, but I try to make it so my opponent blows up first and then I blow up, so it takes some timing.

studly

Smash Ace
i hate the sandbagging....i had this one kid at a local tournament claim that he was sandbagging just so he could feel better about me beating him

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
I used to sandbag in very many games so my dad would play with me (when I was a kid). I mean, who wants to spend 30 minutes in Gran Turismo 2 with their dad, recreating his first dream car, only to make him feel like **** by completely annihilating him.

Oh, and my only sandbag technique in Brawl consists of the Random button. But it's worked out really well because I've discovered my three main chars that way!

Top Bottom