• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sandbagging - The Uttermost Disrespect

AthrunZala

Smash Journeyman
sandbagging is the ultimate disrespect that you could give some who you play against. there is no reason that one should sandbag against someone in a match. if you sandbag then the people you play will learn nothing. the only thing they will learn is that you are a *******. they go to place to compete and even if someone is better then them they still wish to see them use their full potential. this also goes for friendlies and mm. even if you can beat them you should show them respect and play your hardest. even if you want to try to do some new combos against them is fine as long as when you have a chance to do something great to them you take that opportunity. another place where you see sandbagging is when people split the winnings of a tourny and go with charas they dont main as. this is the ultimate disrespect because not only are you disrespecting the host who has bought the best together so that they could play at their best but it is a disrespect to anyone who stays around to watch a great match played out. at that point you dont disrespect one person but everyone who is at the tourny. man the **** up and play your hardest every time. who knows by you playing like that you might actually get better as well.

also if you want a break and to play for fun there is nothing wrong with that. do that with your friends or people you know. those are the times to sandbag and really try new things. however if someone who you dont know comes up to you and asks to play you then you should play with them and give it your all. who knows the person might actually look up to you and really want to play you and see how good you are. if before a tourny you sit down at a tv to get warmed up and you face like 5 or 6 people and win them all then this one kid who you dont know comes and sits down to play you, then you should give it your all. you dont know if that kid actaully waited in a line to play you because he thinks you are the best. i understand that people get bored of playing at a high level of play. i am not that good and i sometimes get bored of how i play and i want to pick charas and fool around but i do that against people i know. people i know who wont take offense to it. but when i meet a random person or even play against someone i am friendly with but dont know i try my hardest or would to show respect. and if you get tired of playing at that level then just simply say "look i dont feel like playing anymore" and get up off the station and go hang out with people you know.

Best101

Smash Ace
I do that all the time, since when I do play to my fullest I pretty much win all the time (Even though I do win all the time, but it'll look less like a massacre)

There's a difference between not trying your complete hardest, and being a **** by just f-smashing.
I'm stealing your sig :chuckle:

UnChienAndalousa

Smash Apprentice
I sandbag all the time, when I get ****ing wrecked and can't even find a small part of me that wants to continue the match. Then I spam f-tilt or something stupid until they eventually kill me off, or I go for a suicide edgeguard. I guess it's unsportsmanlike, but I don't really give a ****.

Edit: I'm talking friendlies here.

Uforia77

Smash Cadet
yeah, i sandbag a bit... but i dont go and say how much a certain character sucks while i do it. i suppose i only really do it so newbies have a chance... if they start fighting better then i'll fight a bit better... also i tend to fight better when things look down and out for me... like the time i beat even 51 when i lost 2 of my 3 lives before even attacking... :)

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
does it count as sandbagging when I dont play my best characters just cus it wouldnt be fun for either of us. I mean, when I play my mains its just me destroying my friends and they dont really get to play and I dont get a challenge. At least when Im playing a character I dont normally play we both get a better fight out of it.

Sliq

Smash Master
If you guys don't want to get sandbagged, try not to suck as much.

pockyD

Smash Legend
good players aren't under any obligation to humor worse players

they are there to enjoy themselves; if you're bitter that some pro is wrecking you sideways with a blindfold on and you aren't having fun, then move on and play someone else

edit: getting 'in their face' and trashtalking about it ("i wasn't even looking", "i don't even play mewtwo", etc etc) is a bit lame though

but let people play how they want

outRAGEous

Smash Journeyman
sandbagging is fun. it is far more demeaning when you eat someone with a character that they know is not your main and you probably don't play ever or you just don't try. this will only force the opponent to either get better or quit.

to sum things up sandbagging = progression.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
the only time i've ever sandbagged is when i noticed the guy was getting violently angry that i was kickin his ***.

otherwise I try vehemently to four-stock everyone I play.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Why would I try super hard vs a nub I take falcon and do combos that make me laugh at his bad DI. and a whole bunch of taunts.

They like the combos, its amazing to get a spacie player to call falcon cheap.

PukeTShirt

Smash Journeyman
when i play my friends that dont play that often i will actually double it up and play a low tier character like bowser and still sandbag a little, so i can keep them playing. If i let them bring it down to a two stock then they have fun and want to keep playing. If i pull out marth and four stock them they will quit after one or two matches. I only do it so that can have some fun, because they are not competitive and arent trying to get better by playing me. It can be fun though, after 5-6 matches of bowser and letting them get a little confident to bring out marth and destroy them just to remind them that if i try, it's not really fair. lol

Tonyman

Smash Journeyman
i never sandbag against good players, against bad ones, well, not exatly sandbag, but use characters i usually dont, but still play good, sandbag only when i teach someone to play or intriduce someone into the game. But not as a way to show irrespect or anything, just so they dont get mad and actually start to like the game.

Starzonedge

Smash Ace
It's funny when someone frequently claims their sandbagging, but in reality, the outcome is always the same. This either means they are "always" sandbagging or are always lying about sandbagging.

ꓰspeon

Sun Pokemon
I have so many characters to keep polished i often play with my secondaries (which could mean sandbagging) but i don't rally do it for pissing the opponent or anything, it's for bringing some more challenge. Until you play tourney matches, there's no need to play completely to win (or at least that's my two cents).

blooagga

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes I have to to play my non-gamer friends. but sometimes my solution is to pop in the AR and let them play as Giga Bowser at 1.5x size... aw yes fun matches.

Top Bottom