• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus's Biggest Design Flaw

br8k

Coolkid
As a Samus main from Melee, there's one thing that really bothers me about P:M Samus, and keeps me from wanting to play her.

There's.... no sound effect indicating a hit on the fire f-smash. In Melee, f-smash felt solid and meaty and punchy and good. In this, it doesn't feel like anything. It feels incomprehensible. An audible indication of a hit is sorely needed.

Also the title was mostly a joke, for anyone wondering. This really does bother me though. It doesn't feel like I'm hitting the opponent really hard even if all other indicators suggest that I am.

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
Agreed, though this is kind of just a brawl issue for all sound effects. Melee just sounds meatier, and it's awesome. I'll take the fire effect from the forward smash in exchange though.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Yeah, hopefully they get all sound effects to match Melee.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
The less characters are like their Melee incarnations, the better a game PM will be. As for Samus, her entire design is nonsensical. This isn't 1995 anymore, there's no reason to keep modeling her after Super Metroid.

Chevy

Smash Ace
Are you talking about her visual design? Because the Super Metroid suit is iconic. And honestly, it's pretty much identical to the Prime Varia suit. It looks good, so I don't know why it would be changed, especially given other M's reception.

br8k

Coolkid
The less characters are like their Melee incarnations, the better a game PM will be. As for Samus, her entire design is nonsensical. This isn't 1995 anymore, there's no reason to keep modeling her after Super Metroid.
This is hella off topic and also just wrong. Super Metroid is awesome f u.

Back on topic, Samus's Melee f-smash goes "whoosh" if you miss and "THWACK" if you hit. P:M f-smash goes "puff" if you miss and "puff" if you hit.

It ain't satisfying plz fix. If you hit with the arm, it should go "WHACK" and if you hit with the fire hitbox it should at least sizzle or something.... I understand why the fire hitbox was added. The invisible disjoint on the original attack was kind of unintuitive and this change indicates the hitbox better, buuuuut it also made the attack make considerably less sense.

In the Melee version, you're PUNCHING the opponent with a giant heavy arm cannon. It makes sense.

In P:M, you're... thrusting your arm cannon out in what looks like a punch, but then you're also shooting?? Again, I generally don't like these kinds of suggestions but this is such a big flaw in aesthetics. She should either PUNCH, or aim her arm cannon quickly and then fire a forceful blast. It's confusing right now having both a punch and a blast. You can't tell where the force of the attack is supposed to be coming from, and the lack of sound effects doesn't help.

...I know this is goofy and changes the mechanics of the attack considerably... but what if she did the original punch first, but without the invisible disjoint (so mostly just a worse version of the Melee f-smash), and then if you hit the attack button again she'd fire a really powerful (and powerful sounding) blast out of the end of her arm cannon. Maybe reduce the endlag on the first attack to compensate for the lack of range, and then add more endlag to the second attack.

It could be used for blasting away at shields, dealing a bunch of damage to people at really really low percents, OR doing a slow and really powerful and flashy killing attack by deliberately missing with the first hit and then sweetspotting with the second hit.

Last edited:

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
"Hella off topic" discussing Samus' design flaws? If we limit the thread to your one point about her fsmash lacking a satisfying sound effect, then the thread isn't going to foster any actual discussion because there's nothing to say about it. It's a sound effect, and it doesn't change the function of Samus' fsmash. It's not a design flaw if it doesn't affect function in a meaningful way.

Super Metroid is very likely the finest video game ever made, but that doesn't mean we should keep recycling Samus' physics and overly-mechanical movements from that game. It has nothing to do with how she looks, btw. Modern Samus is agile, and a proficient hand-to-hand fighter, but Smash Samus' is, quite frankly, a turd.

Litt

Samus
Ok everyone just shut up, this topic is pointless and should be closed because it has nothing to do with design flaws, just this kids perception of what he does or does not like about sound effects which could be easily changed. Stop crying, you dont like it, go into the files and change it yourself.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I agree with changing the sound effect. Not because of Melee alone, but also because it sounds more rewarding for getting the hit. The title of this thread is probably a bit provocative leading to off-topic discussions, but that's not the point.

@ Litt Litt , sound effects are also a part of the game and you are really rude towards someone addressing an issue and trying to improve the experience of playing Project M, in this case f-smashing with Samus, for everybody. In this thread no one offended you so I don't understand your rude behaviour. If players want to argue about the f-smash animation, what gives you the right to tell them to "shut up"? You don't need to be a part of that discussion if you don't like it. If you have an opinion differing from @ br8k br8k please express it in a more elaborated way. We need to follow some basic rules of behaviour.

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
These boards aren't just for metagame @ Litt Litt . S h i t. Quit wasting space on these threads with meaningless banter. There's no need to close this completely relevant thread to design. WHERE ELSE ON THE INTERNET ARE YOU GOING TO FIND A COMMUNITY TO TALK ABOUT SMASH TOPICS? Go on the Fox boards, they have too many mains. Go run them away. Not our valuable Sami.

Back on topic: Personally, I'd like to hear the final hit from the Upsmash as the Fsmash audio when it hits ALONG with the meaty Melee punch.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

ahahahaa KLit being an absolute moron again, classic.

Get a clue muppet.

Side note, does anyone know if that sfx actually exists in brawl?
if someone knows if it does, and can help find what ID the sfx has, ill change in in my fitsamus and leave the code here for anyone who wants to change it.

Litt

Samus
This is a game... not of your creation, and if you don't like the sound effects you can create a topic poll to gague peoples opinions in an attempt to pursuade the creators to change it, to call their work "Samus's Biggest Design Flaw" is a huge insult to their work and you all should be more tactful addressing those that created a game you all love. This literally is the most pointless topic, because one, if you are using the ice moveset this isnt even a problem, and second, at tournamnets, most of the time you can't even hear the game being played from noise interference. Lastly the name of it just draws pointless attention, where im sure was the idea from the creator of this thread, but he should have named it accordingly, and not just assume everyone dislikes the sound effect as much as himself, samus has a lot of flaws at the moment, but the one to focus on is not a freaking sound effect.

Litt

Samus
Omg narpas... can you be this stupid... you are literally a scrub but you have the nerve to keep talking back to me, you never contribute anything, either ask questions and stfu or actually contribute and become a better player then come back and try and speak with me

Litt

Samus
Warning Received
Heres a question: What in your upbringing caused you to take everything so literally and seriously you cant handle a ****ing joke in a post?
Here is a question, why are you still here? I have never once told a member to leave this board, but you are useless, you never contribute anything, you harass me constantly, so please do not post here any more. Sure there a number of people here that dislike me from how short I am with them when they ask stupid questions, but you are a different breed, you are just a troll that has nothing to contribute. Even if you do reply to this and dont take my advice to just leave, I will no longer recognize anything to post on here, and will just ignore it as if it never existed.

Narpas_sword

Your posturing is pathetic, if you're going to ignore me, do it.

I'm not going to stop posting because of a **** self proclaiming himself as some sort of leading figure on a board tells me to.

I still haven't found the sfx, has anyone else?

br8k

Coolkid
Samus's second biggest design flaw: Her smashboards subforum is apparently cancerous.

@ Litt Litt ...oris, the title was a joke. I definitely did not make that clear enough. I got lost somewhere between phrasing it as a joke and being seriously bothered by the mediocre sfx.

KLit, you're being such a ****ty person that you're making me realize things I don't like about myself. You are a single, anonymous user on the boards. You are not an authority figure. You are not the definitive expert on Samus. You have never won a significant tournament. You ought to let people think for themselves. You have no reason to be so condescending. You do not run the place. You have every right to pretend to run the place, but it only makes you look like a ****.

Honestly, if you were good like Leffen, I personally would care a bit less that you're rude. Your opinions would have weight because of your experience. But you're not as articulate as Leffen, you aren't as calm as Leffen, and you're five times as desperately controlling and angry. You're failing at the "skilled professional who's a ****" target. You're just a ****.

Litt

Samus
Hey @ br8k br8k ... have enough swears in there? I think you are a child who has difficulty expressing themselves in a proper manner, but thats just me. I don't know why you are bandwagoning Leffen so hard? Do you wish that I was your Leffen for the samus boards, villain becomes top player to prove everyone else wrong? Sorry that isn't me bro, but Ill take my sweet time improving. You just said it yourself, you couldn't even decide if you were complaining or joking, so how about making that a bit more clear when posting something, because people will tell you are flat out wrong and take offense to that... why might you ask? because there are a number of ACTUAL design flaws that need to be corrected before a sound effect is even tweaked for your hearing pleasure... you are no prince sir, and if you don't like a sound effect, seriously who gives a crap. This is a game, and a plurality of players even play with headphones in now, and you just sound like a whiny nobody complaining about it, in the grand scheme of things. You are just unhappy I stepped into your post to tell everyone to shut up about this pointless "DESIGN FLAW", by calling me so many variations of **************.... now why not say what you really intended, you wanted this post to be taken in a positive way, and when I flat out tell you, you are wasting space here, you are offended and decide to flip out as your only alternative. Now put on your big boy arguing pants, and come up with a real response instead of that trash you spewed at me previously, with more swear words than factual content.

homeyduh

Smash Rookie
Hey, this post may, or may not be a "waste of space", but this is the internet. Fraught with opinions and the people who have them. @ br8k br8k has one. Big deal. He wants a sound effect. Big deal. I want things too, but that doesn't make what I want greater or less than "just a sound effect". Sure there are many flaws of Samus. This one happens to be important to @ br8k br8k . Just because it's not important to you, doesn't mean it's a waste of space. @ Litt Litt seems to be the only one feeling this way while there are several other, including myself, who genuinely would like to have a changed sound effect for f-smash. I personally don't have an knowledge how to mod the sounds so the best thing I can do is post it here. Sure the thread's title is misleading, but it's not a big deal after you read the explanation. There's no point in shouting obscenities at each other on either side. This is a video game. A freaking awesome one, but a video game. Unfortunately we're not devs so we can't fix things ourselves so we deal with it or complain/request. It's normal. if @ br8k br8k thinks the sfx are important, cool, that's his deal. Just don't try to tell someone that their opinion/issue isn't important because it's not important to you. That's very egotistical. You say that @ Narpas_sword Narpas_sword is a troll, but he's just trying to back up @ br8k br8k , who is being trolled by you @ Litt Litt .

Anyways, back on topic, I think a nice "THWUMP" would be good. A "THWACK" might be too wimpy for Samus's huge (and probably heavy) cannon arm.

Narpas_sword

I can tell people how to fix it if anyone know if the sound effect actually exists, or can make a sample of it from melee recordings etc.

It's a simple sfx change, that is well worth making a topic about if that's what's important to you. If you don't ask, you don't get. worst people can say is "no, it can't be done"' (or in klits case, the worst you can get as a response is some 12yearold babble, but who cares what that tool thinks.)

Klit is just a muppet without any inclination of how people interact, i just wind him up in hopes that he pops a blood vessel or something.

But yea, easy enough fix once you have the sfx.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Man I am popcorn.gif'ing so hard right now.

Topic is sound effects

@ Litt Litt , personal attacks are NOT welcome here. I'll be watching you from here on out, expect infractions if you continue to exhibit this behaviour towards any other individual.

Litt

Samus
Man I am popcorn.gif'ing so hard right now.

Topic is sound effects

@ Litt Litt , personal attacks are NOT welcome here. I'll be watching you from here on out, expect infractions if you continue to exhibit this behaviour towards any other individual.
Aerodrome you are beyond stupid, if you actually read my post, you would have understood I have never asked a player to leave the boards before, but Narpas has continually harassed me for weeks on these boards... GO READ PREVIOUS POSTS AND SEE FOR YOURSELF... dont just come in here and try to lay down the law where all you have see in the 5 post you bothered to skim through. As for a sound effect being important, that is personal preference verses the game itself. There are countless projects the PM team are working on and can work on before they deviate to fix some kid wanting a different sound effect... hmm perhaps they liked that sound effect in the first place and chose it over the one you wanted... its their game, not yours buddy, so if you dont like it, change it yourself, and if you can't, stop complaining, or instead ask for help instead of calling the PMBR teams work... "Samus's Biggest Design Flaw". So first and foremost, change the freaking title so you stop misleading people into reading your post, and second, figure out how to do something yourself or ask for help before demanding a changed sound effect.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Aerodrome you are beyond stupid, if you actually read my post, you would have understood I have never asked a player to leave the boards before, but Narpas has continually harassed me for weeks on these boards... GO READ PREVIOUS POSTS AND SEE FOR YOURSELF... dont just come in here and try to lay down the law where all you have see in the 5 post you bothered to skim through. As for a sound effect being important, that is personal preference verses the game itself. There are countless projects the PM team are working on and can work on before they deviate to fix some kid wanting a different sound effect... hmm perhaps they liked that sound effect in the first place and chose it over the one you wanted... its their game, not yours buddy, so if you dont like it, change it yourself, and if you can't, stop complaining, or instead ask for help instead of calling the PMBR teams work... "Samus's Biggest Design Flaw". So first and foremost, change the freaking title so you stop misleading people into reading your post, and second, figure out how to do something yourself or ask for help before demanding a changed sound effect.
The only post in his last 40 (AKA HALF OF HIS TOTAL POSTS) was this one: http://smashboards.com/threads/samus-neutral-b-improvement.349799/page-2#post-16544249

In which he was replying to one of your posts where YOU were flaming someone else.

So... Weeks? Really? Ha!

I ain't gonna infract you for calling me stupid, but like I said, if you flame anyone else then I will definitely be infracting you.

Thor

Smash Champion
I was misled in here by the title, as Klit said would happen, but reading Aerodrome flame him (it seems rightfully so) was definitely worth it. Thanks for the hyperbolic thread title.

It could be worse. You could have the TV on mute.

MANZilla

Smash Rookie
Oddly enough, i now want to main Samus because of this design flaw...

definitely needs more baby

GeZ

Smash Lord
Thread is dumb. KLit needs to be less flamey, but having other players say he isn't worth his snuff is ****ing dumb. From a relevant information point of view he actually is one of the most helpful and informative players in the Samus subforums.

Also, this is really just a personal bit, but @ Narpas_sword Narpas_sword is really bugging me. I know KLit gets really heated but the response to that isn't to get heated back and then act superior. That actually goes for most of this thread, like @ br8k br8k I know you started this thread to talk about the sfx problems you're having, and that's fine, and it was KLit's mistake to call you on the title you explained away as a joke, but he IS still one of the only players to really post relevant and useful info en masse in these forums, so saying **** like how he hasn't won a tourney and isn't an authority is a bit dumb. If authority is given by value of useful information discovered/ regurgitated on the subforums, then @ ph00tbag ph00tbag and @ Litt Litt easily have the most "authority" in these subforums.

Also, to @ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer I get that keeping Smashboards working and chill is your modus operandi on the subforums, but don't preclude that some players need someone to tell them they're making useless posts in great quantities, to get onto the right track of posting relevant information. With too much hand holding, every board will become people flaunting useless information, with a few others trying to stifle the flood of irrelevance by nicely stating that the information posted is already a known known.

But seriously, starting a thread about sfx and having it blow up is a good job gg. God damn.

Narpas_sword

Also, this is really just a personal bit, but @ Narpas_sword Narpas_sword is really bugging me. I know KLit gets really heated but the response to that isn't to get heated back and then act superior.

With too much hand holding, every board will become people flaunting useless information, with a few others trying to stifle the flood of irrelevance by nicely stating that the information posted is already a known known.

But seriously, starting a thread about sfx and having it blow up is a good job gg. God damn.
The problem is, you can ask klit nicely to stop posting his irrelevant posts all you like, but he still does =p

GeZ

Smash Lord
The problem is, you can ask klit nicely to stop posting his irrelevant posts all you like, but he still does =p
So do what I do. Value the good posts, and ignore/ approach with good humor or nature, the bad ones. He really has posted some really masterful omnibus's of knowledge. Just because some of his other stuff can come off as overly angry, I won't ignore his good stuff.

Litt

Samus
Something I may add to what GeZ was saying, out of the top samus mains in the melee circuit, there are a good half of them that don't even know all advanced samus tech, so winning does not mean you have a better understanding of a character nor does it make you an authority on one. Actually knowing the info, posting it, and guiding the forums in a direction that does not waste space and progresses information in an orderly manner does. I try my best to guide these forums to a better place, and while I am not tolerant of; trolling, arrogance (despite myself being high in that area), and incorrect information, I do try to help out any new players that ask for advice in a respectful manner, and I do provide a great deal of positive information to advancing samus's metagame. Also I believe an actual samus player should have mod privileges on these boards, I would recommend @ ph00tbag ph00tbag @JerkPhil @ GeZ GeZ @CyberMario or @ pizzacato pizzacato

Last edited:

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
KLit, I'm flattered you think so highly of me, but I hope you realize that if I were a mod on this board, I would spend a lot more time telling you to stuff your ego in your already stick-filled ass, instead of ignoring you like I usually do.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I'm probably never going to say this again anywhere else, but I'm having a bad day and this thread pissed me off in a bad way.

Shut up, with your idiotic assertions about sound effects. As someone who came to series with Brawl, the Melee sound effects sound too cartoonish and over the top. Marth's sword strokes actually sound swift and agile, like they're slicing through air, they're not supposed to sound like Ike's hits.

It's completely subjective and you Melee elitists need to stop marginalizing the Brawl players that enjoy this game. Stop it.

Litt

Samus
I'm probably never going to say this again anywhere else, but I'm having a bad day and this thread pissed me off in a bad way.

Shut up, with your idiotic assertions about sound effects. As someone who came to series with Brawl, the Melee sound effects sound too cartoonish and over the top. Marth's sword strokes actually sound swift and agile, like they're slicing through air, they're not supposed to sound like Ike's hits.

It's completely subjective and you Melee elitists need to stop marginalizing the Brawl players that enjoy this game. Stop it.
Yeah... no one here is a melee elitist besides myself... and even i said, idgaf about sound effects and everyone should just stfu and enjoy the game for what it is...

Top Bottom