• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Forum Contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

MprisM

Smash Journeyman
Samus Forum Contacts​
[UPDATE-1-18-07] - Updated Aftermath's Contact information. In progress of reconstruction of the thread.
[UPDATE-1-19-07] - Removed everything except Contacts, rewrote the introduction for contacts to be more straightforward and meaningful, changed the name of the guide.

When this thread started there were originally two parts, one was more humorous (yet at the same time serious) but after getting bashed because of it I chose to remove that portion and only keep the smarter of the two. Thanks to Lanowen in a way for this.

Since playing Smash I have posted very rarely, if I had a question to be asked I would find someone to contact and ask them since I was too afraid to create my own thread. People I have contacted are Joker for SWD, Aftermath to watch my videos, HugS to ask some more serious questions, and a few other Samus players who I believe may no longer be with us.

These questions I chose to ask these people because they were well developed in that field and I wanted to get the best feedback possible. So I am creating this contact page for others who wish to do the same.

Contacts
Contacts are for people who wish to have their questions answered without creating a new thread if unable to find what they need through stickies or searching. Also for people who are too afraid to create threads, or would like in depth coverage of a topic from a person who is well known in that subject.

Contact these people through a messenger or through personal messages which are available in their profile.

• Why is this person a contact?
    Aftermath is a great contributor to the samus forum, and currently holds the only Samus Guide and has a video for visual support.
  • What type of questions should I contact Aftermath for?
    Anything really, advice, more in depth explanation of guide or its components. Advice on which buttons work best for WDing and missile tricks, and theories on which are best in the long run.
  • How do I contact Aftermath?
    Aftermath's Profile
    Aftermath's guide (Link Below)
  • Noteable things Aftermath has done.
    (CHECK THESE BEFORE CONTACTING - IT MAY ANSWER YOUR QUESTION!)
    Aftermath's Guide to Samus
    Mission Briefing (Guide Video)
    Dominating me in Metroid Prime Hunters =P

Becoming a Contact

I only have one contact so far the reasoning for this is quite simple. There are a handful of people that have helped me out by contacting them and I would be absolutely thrilled to put them in this guide. The problem however is that I do not have their approval, and I dont want them to run the risk of getting spammed to death by noobs and scrubs alike. (I added aftermath automatically since he has a guide and obviously is wanting to help people)

So I am allowing anybody (Yes anybody) to become a contact by submitting information through this thread or by PMing me. I will weigh the information over and determine if you are legitimate and deserve to be placed in the contact section. Be warned however if you have not established yourself in the Samus forums then you're application will not be looked at in detail. Why? Because you have no reasoning to prove yourself knowledgable, even if you wish to help others, if you're information isnt backed by experience it is not as valuable as those who do.

Please send your application simular to what follows -
  • Who are you and why do you deserve to be a contact?
  • What type of information do you specialize in? (Example - Phanna - Technicals)
  • What notable things have you done in or for the community?

Removing yourself from the Contact List
Simply PM me or post in this thread that you no longer wish to be a contact and I will erase all information on you.

Andromon58

Smash Apprentice
Nobody is making you look at their threads. Just because you feel the need to be an *******, doesnt mean you have the right to demean others.

Don't get me wrong, I think this post is a good idea. It SHOULD cut down on wasteful posts. But after reading your other post, I think you came off a little strong, and could have been more diplomatic about it than "You're a ****ing ****** and nobody cares about your post."

MprisM

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if the way I made my point was disrespectful in the other thread, but it seemed to me that the point needed to get across the way I made it. Time and time again people are making threads simular to those, I admit it was a little much but at the time I was in a horrible mood. There hadnt been a new topic in the Samus section for a few days and I had started this thread last night after looking at how pointless most of the existing ones were.

I had ditched the idea to make this thread , but when I awoke the next morning the only new thread in this forum was infact the thing that I was attempting to get rid of. Which set me back in motion to create this.

It was pretty immature admittedly, but it did get the thread locked. So it worked.. I did need to reply to that thread to reduce the spam and uselessness that it had created.

--Heres the thread-- (incase you dont know what we are talking about)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=94612

Yes it was too strong, my apologies.

Samus247

Smash Journeyman
LOL, pris, gosh, you have so much ****ing time on yours hands. How long did that post take you? I'd swear you were a moderator for making a guide about when people should post or not. ****, you've seriously got to chill out. words of wisdom: There will always be morons present in your life. You can not escape them. Find your own way to deal with them. But realize, there are stickies everywhere telling people what they are looking for and even if this topic were to get stickied, it would have the same usefulness as all the other stickies... no one would read it. Sorry buddy...

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
MprisM you're stupid. The purpose of my thread was to find out if any other button combinations were more efficient than the ones I was pressing. Why would I ask instead of just trying different combinations? The answer is, I don't have a gamecube, so I can't always practice.

Did you know this? No.

Simply put, although no one can claim you're an ineffective debator, THIS thread was pointless and the biggest waste of time that I've seen on ANY forum. I have what, 14 posts? I just joined Smashboards and I'm not going to spend hours searching existing threads for the answers to some of my questions when three or four good responses is all I'm looking for anyway. The fact that you let something like this bother you may be evidence of it occuring frequently but even so, do I look like a spammer to you?

Aftermath

Smash Champion
I actually like this thread (hopefully it's not from being biased from being a contact), although the examples you give weren't that great. I think asking questions on button configurations is good in the long run, and I have lots of advice on which buttons work best for WDing and missile tricks, and theories on which are best in the long run. It seems that those get the most replies, since some people really don't think of trying new ways that are easier and more efficient (just like how everyone starts jumping with the analog and it takes convincing to switch to X or Y).

You are right though, when Typh's extended grapple thread was stickied, people who probably heard about it outside of the Samus forums came and created their own thread asking questions on it before checking the stickies.

I think the best solution to this, instead of being condescending on the people who do it, just add a section that asks the people who visit the samus forums often to post in the threads early with something like "There's already a discussion on this topic <insert thread link>." And so while it might not cut back on the numbers, it'll keep 2-3 threads of the same topic from being posted in at the same time.

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
^I agree.

I don't usually post or start threads (pointless or otherwise) often, and I won't make a habit of it. Aftermath, I have quite a few questions for you and would really appreciate your advice, so i'll take advantage of this contact arrangement.

MprisM

Smash Journeyman
This guide took about two or three hours and is a pretty rough form of it. Yes I have too much free time, but atleast I'm doing something with it. It seems that this thread isnt the most useless ever since It just helped you.

EDIT - Sorry about my post in your thread Jetty.

I'm thinking about taking out all sections except the contacts. Also expanding their definition, since they are really the point of the thread and most useful part. It's also the portion that isnt being hostile to anyone.

Andromon58

Smash Apprentice
MprisM you're stupid. The purpose of my thread was to find out if any other button combinations were more efficient than the ones I was pressing. Why would I ask instead of just trying different combinations? The answer is, I don't have a gamecube, so I can't always practice.

Did you know this? No.

Simply put, although no one can claim you're an ineffective debator, THIS thread was pointless and the biggest waste of time that I've seen on ANY forum. I have what, 14 posts? I just joined Smashboards and I'm not going to spend hours searching existing threads for the answers to some of my questions when three or four good responses is all I'm looking for anyway. The fact that you let something like this bother you may be evidence of it occuring frequently but even so, do I look like a spammer to you?
This is exactly what this guide is trying to prevent. There's AT LEAST half a dozen threads on how to double missle, probably on just the front page. We DONT need another one. You could have spent less time (like 20 seconds, not "three or four hours") looking at one of the several other ones than making your own. This thread is NOT pointless, it is an attempt to prevent this **** from happening.

MprisM

Smash Journeyman
Sigh, guide is flawed. You need only to say:

SEARCH & RULES

But even then, since the message board does that for you, as well as holding contact information, you needn't do it in the slightest.

Yes information is there, and people can find it through the Search, and the Rules page is certainly effective. What it does not cover is who to go to when you have a question and want a legitimate answer. New people may not know who they should be asking these questions too and so they ask the general Samus community through threads they create.

In truth the Search isnt that useful, its very misleading. Besides a lot of people dont have the balls to create a thread in fear of getting flamed. (I know I am, especially since sometimes I'm the flamer) So they need someone to answer their questions, this guide will hopefully help sort out what type of questions to ask which people, while hopefully preventing the creation of rehashed threads.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Ironically, this is one of the most time-wasting and useless threads in the Samus boards.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes information is there, and people can find it through the Search, and the Rules page is certainly effective. What it does not cover is who to go to when you have a question and want a legitimate answer. New people may not know who they should be asking these questions too and so they ask the general Samus community through threads they create.
Well, this is a forum. That is what people do, make threads. Kinda, making a 'phone book' inside a forum to get people not to post, is kinda not being a forum. What your are esentially saying is, "The guide to posting good threads is not to post", "Go msg these people". This is defeating the purpose of a forum.

In truth the Search isnt that useful, its very misleading. Besides a lot of people dont have the balls to create a thread in fear of getting flamed. (I know I am, especially since sometimes I'm the flamer) So they need someone to answer their questions, this guide will hopefully help sort out what type of questions to ask which people, while hopefully preventing the creation of rehashed threads.
In truth, not really. I am wondering, how you came to you conclusion? Can you use the search? It workes for me, I find stuff. Boolean operators? Asking a question and getting it answered by 1 person is bad. Many people collaberating and answering questions based on previous answers is where advancement comes into play. Search should eliminate rehashing of threads, if people like you used them.

Samus247

Smash Journeyman
This is exactly what this guide is trying to prevent. There's AT LEAST half a dozen threads on how to double missle, probably on just the front page. We DONT need another one. You could have spent less time (like 20 seconds, not "three or four hours") looking at one of the several other ones than making your own. This thread is NOT pointless, it is an attempt to prevent this **** from happening.
in jetty's defense (and i haven't searched before saying this) the mods erased a ton of old threads and now the samus section is only 2 pages long. i know i asked about double missile fingering in the past and i don't think my thread was current enough for the mods not to erase. but like i said, i haven't checked the stickies for any info on double missiling fingering..

MprisM

Smash Journeyman
Well, this is a forum. That is what people do, make threads. Kinda, making a 'phone book' inside a forum to get people not to post, is kinda not being a forum. What your are esentially saying is, "The guide to posting good threads is not to post", "Go msg these people". This is defeating the purpose of a forum.

In truth, not really. I am wondering, how you came to you conclusion? Can you use the search? It workes for me, I find stuff. Boolean operators? Asking a question and getting it answered by 1 person is bad. Many people collaberating and answering questions based on previous answers is where advancement comes into play. Search should eliminate rehashing of threads, if people like you used them.
I assume you are showing hostility because I didnt explain myself well enough. I meant that the Search cannot always answer specific questions and it gives you a wide range of threads that are usually not what you were looking for. The Search isnt jesus to put it simply, but at times it will help.

Yes people create threads in a forum, that is the point, but the point of this very thread is to cut down on the creation of duplicate threads and ones that do not stir any meaningful conversation. In my first post I stated that I did not want to kill this forum, there are a handful of legitimate threads in this forum already. However there are a few that I would personally do without.

The purpose of a forum is not to make wasteful threads, it is to purge them and save the good ones.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
I assume you are showing hostility because I didnt explain myself well enough. I meant that the Search cannot always answer specific questions and it gives you a wide range of threads that are usually not what you were looking for. The Search isnt jesus to put it simply, but at times it will help.

Yes people create threads in a forum, that is the point, but the point of this very thread is to cut down on the creation of duplicate threads and ones that do not stir any meaningful conversation. In my first post I stated that I did not want to kill this forum, there are a handful of legitimate threads in this forum already. However there are a few that I would personally do without.

The purpose of a forum is not to make wasteful threads, it is to purge them and save the good ones.
...and God said, "Let there be admins!" and with an almighty thrust of his finger, the thread was closed! Admins pruge threads, threads don't purge threads.

As you may have overlooked the search button, you may have also over looked the stickies at the top of the Samus specific as most people do when they make a thread. Many good things there explain stuff, and Oh My! http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=53352

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I agree with Phanna.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Lanowen, the mods and admins don't look back here unless someone catches them on AIM or the hub and asks them to, you should know that.

I'd say let this stay, but change it completely so that it's really only the contacts (although probably just lock this one and wait to get a few more contacts) and then post it as such, so that if people are looking to have a good discussion, instead of posting a thread which will either have people flame them or just a lot of new people saying "figure it out yourself" or posting advice that's not very good, they will know who to talk to about what sort of things and know how to contact them.

I think that if something like a contact list doesn't come out so that people will have an easy way to answer a lot of questions and get immediate feedback, then I"ll probably write something similar to Jasona's Samus Basics, but covering all the random finger movements and other things that have sprung up, as well as the newer technical things.

MprisM

Smash Journeyman
I've already requested for the closing of this thread, so if it is closed I think that you should go with your idea Aftermath. People like you better anyways, everytime you post people change their idea completely. That's power right there.

Or to respond more accurately to what just happened. "WTF?!"

I also updated the guide incase it is not closed. I assumed no one thought this was a good idea, but perhaps it still might be.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Lanowen, the mods and admins don't look back here unless someone catches them on AIM or the hub and asks them to, you should know that.
It's because the sheer ammount of junk means we'd be spending about 5 hours back here. We're working on increasing the Char Specific Mod Squad, so hopefully things'll be cleaned up more often soon.

And closed by request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom