• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Chaingrab Question

ChanseyMaster

Smash Cadet
Yeah, a bit of a noobish question here:

Does anyone know what characters can be chain grabbed by Samus, and with what throw?

Thanks for any help.

[ChanseyMaster]

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Samus cannot chaingrab anyone in this game because her grapple cannot grab people out of the air. The only way you are going to chaingrab someone is if a ganon for example DI twoards you after a dthrow and your gun touchs them when you grab again. All you have to do to avoid being chaingrabbed though is DI outwards after the throw.

So no one.

ChanseyMaster

Smash Cadet
Ugh, had a feeling I'd get a response like that.
It just kinda made me ponder over that question when I saw something that looked like chaingrabbing in one of phanna's vids.

Thanks anyway.

[ChanseyMaster]

E_Ress

Smash Cadet
Wes has done chaingrabs vs. Pickachu (down throw, I think), but it was completely situational and the opponent didn't think to DI.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Just for the record, Samus can grab out of the air when the opponent is really close to Samus.
And just to add onto that, she's the only character that can grab out of someone's "bounce of the ground" animation (at least to the best of my knowledge).

Somebody

Smash Journeyman
I've seen someone chainthrow a ganon at really high percents with dthrow but I think they could have DI'd out. You can tech chase with her grab but thats the closest thing to chaingrabbing sadly.

Mars-

Smash Champion
And just to add onto that, she's the only character that can grab out of someone's "bounce of the ground" animation (at least to the best of my knowledge).
And to add to that, she doesn't need to be close, it is just that you need to hit them with the grapple perfectly, which is harder from far away.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Actually, you do need to be close because samus's grapple cannot grab people out of the air...at all. Thats what chaingrabbing is..throwing them and catching them again before they hit the ground..if they have already hit the ground then it is no long a chaingrab because they could have teched.

The only way to chaingrab someone is if they DI twoards you and your gun hits them when you grab. Because that is the only part of samus's grab that will grab out of the air.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm sorry, this is just a little silly.

'Arm cannon' is not a move. Get real. Samus does the grapple, and if the oppenent is in the air, quite close to Samus, she will grab them.

Kick

Smash Apprentice
wow IHSB that was excellent.

i think this whole time everyone was saying the same thing, but was confused. i think that cleared it up.

IHSB ftw.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Thanks IHSB...I don't know why people don't get my posts? No part of the GRAPPLE can grab out of the air. Only the hitbox around the Gun can. Which is why samus can never chaingrab if you just DI away from her. Whenever you see a samus chaingrab its because there opponent messed up his DI.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Lol Samus' CT on Pichu is kind of disgusting, I used it a bit against Chu in my MMs against him.

Hylian has it mostly right though: that if your foe just DI's straight away, they get too far away, but there are some characters for certain percents where you can perform a 2nd or even 3rd CT. Ganondorf, from about 30-50%, you can CT. Pichu works for under like 150% lol. The tricky part about CT'ing with Samus though is you need to quickly respond or predict their DI: If they DI away from you, you have to dash-grab. If they don't DI at all, you standing grab, and if they DI behind you, you need to usually dash forward, DD back then grab all very quickly. You have to do these things to get your body to where they are; as pointed out, the grapple beam cannot grab in the air. I've also gotten 2-3 Samus CT's off on Ness, and a bunch before on Yoshi's. They need to have a good bounce stun from your down-throw, if they have that, then you can do it at certain percents, and if you predict their DI correctly. So to sum up, it can work against at least: Pichu, Ness, Yoshi, Ganon (these are the characters I have used it on).

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I wasn't aware that it could be done 100% at any time on anyone >_>. I thought everyone could tech or jump out of it after DIing away. Guess I was wrong on that. Still though the payoff for this isn't near as much as the risk factor. Missing a grab with samus is BAD. Everyone knows this. I wouldn't recommend trying to chaingrab anyone..ever unless you are in a friendly..then it doesn't really matter. But the fact that it only works a few times and only on a few select characters at certain %'s and they can throw you off with DI makes it very unpractible..

I would never try this in a MM or tourny >_>..

Top Bottom