• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus 1.06 Patch Notes

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Confirmed
F-Tilt now has 4 hit boxes, Sweetspots have vastly increased Knockback (now a kill move at high percents)

Non Angled
Point Blank: 6%
Moderately Spaced (hit with her knee): 5%
Spaced: 7%
Fully Spaced: 8%

Angled Up
I honestly have no clue: 7%
Spaced: 8%
Fully Spaced: 9%

Angled Down
I honestly have no clue: 7%
Spaced: 8%
Fully Spaced: 9%

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Super Missile Acceleration Increase

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speculated:
Bomb explosions send you higher

CLASH Tournaments Video showing direct comparison between 1.02 Samus and 1.06 Samus

Last edited:

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
Here's my confirmation bias (they are true because I think they are) listings from a bit of play locally:

-Up smash still wont hit grounded opponents, but did suck in Kirby and Mario on 'jump' and smashed them around 120-130, but still has a bunch of sour spots that did little to nothing if not facing enemy
-Nair seems that second hit comes out quicker, shorter duration
-grab faster, less lag
-CS less knockback (and or longer charge time)
-fair shorter duration
-dashattack still has long startup frames
-jab combo did 13% instead of 11%

Last edited:

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
bombs seem to detonate on the enemy on contact!
False, tested it.
Also Jab does still 11% dmg for me.
So far I didn't find any buff sadly.

BTW. Mewtwo is fun to play, but he has no guaranteed throw setups. He seems solid, not OP.

Last edited:

Squaddle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gaulderdash
A lot of the changes I think exist are placebos, but there's three that I 100% know happened, two of which I think are pretty awful:

1) Missiles are MUCH faster now, but are mostly unchanged besides that. I actually feel like this is a nerf if anything, as now homing missiles are a lot harder to hit people with, and you can't use them to bait out their shield/dodge to hit them with the charge beam...

2) Charge beam takes longer to charge up AND longer to kill. There's definitely at least a half second longer charge time, and it seems to have been nerfed somewhat in knockback.

3) down-throw's knockback is noticeably reduced. this is ok, since it means she can reliably deal some damage in the mid damage ranges, but early on you can't really combo it into anything consistently.

Heres a few other changes I THINK happened, but am not sure about...
-the bit about bombs detonating on contact is bogus, they still have a set timer
-after dropping a bomb samus's morph ball moves a bit faster? again, might be a placebo
-standing grab recovery seems lessened
-nair's range might have increased a bit, maybe a bit faster too.
-super missiles don't get trumped as easily by weaker projectiles like duck hunt's Frisbee, when a player breaks them with an attack they're stuck in whats kind of like shield stun, I guess? (you can hit a person with a super missile then a tilt if they attack it).
-bair sweetspot's a bit easier to land and is faster
-up-b takes you a bit further when used from the ground.
-F-smash has a reliable animation now. Attacks that look like they hit will in fact hit, unlike in previous versions. (I don't know if they fixed the animation or increased the range).
-they didn't really fix the wonky hitboxes on up-smash, up-air, or fair, and people can still fall out all the time :(
-------------------------

the charge beam and missile tweaks are kind of uncalled for, and overall i really don't like what this patch brought for her... but we'll adapt, I guess.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
I view the added hotboxes of f-tilt as a hella nerf. Why would Sakurai take away the last decent "get off me" move we have left by giving it a sour spot... Its been a lot harder to force a tech into cs punish because of it, as well as getting punished for even using it now in low percents.

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
Did anyone else notice that they removed the weird bomb delay? In the previous versions, after you dropped a second bomb, the was a weird delay before you could drop a third. Now you can lay as many bombs as you want without any encumbrances unless one of them hits you and pushes you into a jump.

I was leaving a bomb trail as an escape option and most people were just staying away, which got me in a better position to camp out and take advantage of those faster missiles.

Last edited:

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
If d.throw lower knockback is true than that's actually a pretty big buff.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Testing things ATM.
CS knockback does not seem nerfed still kills fox at the same % in training.
Are you guys sure about missiles? I just tested in spam war vs. link and they seem to clank exactly the same as before (i.e. we are not winning).
The new f-tilt hitbox is bad news.

Last edited:

Boney

Smash Apprentice
The only two guaranteed things are f tilt, which not also has these weird sourspots, they changed they're knockback properties. These are all tested on Shiek
Point blank has a lot less knockback, it doesn't start a tech chase until around 130%, before that it's like hitting a jab.
Knee sourspot, can start tech chases at around 150%
Spaced starts tech chases at around 40%, and I think they can be jumped out at around 85%, have no way of testing this by myself. Ko's at the edge of battle field at around 180%.
Fully spaced also starts tech chases at around 35% but they might be able to be jumped out at around 70%. Ko's near the edges in battlefield at around 155%

So for some reason they made this move horrible. Getting tech chases at lower % might be nice but it's not worth the charge shot tech chase we had before.

Missiles were also changed. Regular missiles have 2 speeds now instead of getting progressively slower. Regular when firing which start fast and when the fuel runs out, where they still go at a relatively fast pace as compared as before. They also seem to have better homing capabilities. They explode at the ground level of the top platform in battlefield when angling up, although this could be placebo from the speed boost.
Power missiles on the other hand, start almost at max speed right away, and seem to have very little acceleration.

Other than that, I can hit point blank fsmashes in training, I know the hit seemed to be wonky and could whiff, but I never tested it in training before.

You can also continuously leave bombs when on the ground, but I think this was always possible, not sure.

That's all the changes that I found. Oh and charge beam and screw attack are the same.

Last edited:

Ampheras

Smash Cadet
I don't understand this "impact character", what is that exactly? Srry 4the noob question

Boney

Smash Apprentice
If d.throw lower knockback is true than that's actually a pretty big buff.
I think it's just the opponent not having any sort of DI in training that makes it seem that it has less knockback.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Actually now that boney has pointed it out, the extreme range f-tilt tech chase is really early now. Not sure if I prefer or dislike this just yet.
Up-smash seems to snatch up tall grounded opponents better, I think there's an additional hitbox in very close.
Does f-smash have less end-lag? It's still big but it feels a bit faster.

Last edited:

Boney

Smash Apprentice
Actually now that boney has pointed it out, the extreme range f-tilt tech chase is really early now. Not sure if I prefer or dislike this just yet.
Up-smash seems to snatch up tall grounded opponents better, I think there's an additional hitbox in very close.
Does f-smash have less end-lag? It's still big but it feels a bit faster.
Fsmash seems the same to me. Standing grab does feel to have less endlag, but it could be placebo. Still pretty punishable.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Fsmash seems the same to me. Standing grab does feel to have less endlag, but it could be placebo. Still pretty punishable.
No placebo, that standing grab end lag is definitely lower! Just look at the pivot grab's crazy end-lag.
Gah, maybe not. Checking with non-updated 3DS I don't see a difference. Sigh...

Last edited:

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
I dunno, it seems like they finished her hotbox on fsmash, finally getting rid of that weird blind spot that would make it wiff when the opponent is right on top of her. More testing to be sure, but its more of a qol update than a true buff, honestly.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I tried literally everything mentioned in this thread on a pre-patch and patched wiiu.

The only true change are missile speed And the new f-tilt. Everything else is the same.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Yeah I agree with Xyro, now that I've checked with a pre-patch 3DS and 1/4 speed.
Charge shot charges just as fast.

Squaddle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gaulderdash
all dese placebo effects :U

I guess she's forever mid-low tier

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Off topic but Mewtwo is really nice. I love his charge shot.

Samus still does more than his by 1%

Boney

Smash Apprentice
I can confirm that ftilt is now the new jab 1. You're gonna get punished for using jt

That's why you don't jump to conclusions.
? I was hoping for some positive buffs when they announced a balance patch, not the placebo effects.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
I quite like mewto as well. Oh man though, the whiffy hitboxes. That f-air, b-air wow. Generally low damage. Samus officially does not have the worst d-smash in the game anymore.

Last edited:

MasterExocuter

Smash Cadet
Hey at least Samus got more love than Charizard... He apparently got more nerfs and only 1 buff which was his up throw (which doesn't kill). On the topic of samus, hopefully lower dthrow trajectory will allow for more charge shot follow ups. And I'm still fockin pissed that bombs don't explode on contact. At least they should have a bigger radius and longer timer to allow for more setups. As they are now, they don't serve any combat purpose other than laying them and then pulling people towards the bomb via grab. Hell, if Samus's bombs could be like PM Zelda din's fire trap mechanic that would be beast

Last edited:

ShinkiPrime

Smash Rookie
This just may be me, but I think Super Missile also had a velocity increase. Seems to go faster the longer it's out.

At least, in training against Mario (on 3ds) at 70% I haven't been able to combo a full CS off of a super missile from neutral on an FD stage. This could also be a velocity decrease or recovery change, but that's my initial guess.

The animation for grab feels smoother at least, and time in the air after dropping a bomb from the ground seems a little longer. Still need to test fsmash for a blindspot.

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth
Testing some things about the new F-tilt. The added hitbox on our crotch trips. #CrotchOfSteel

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth
The knockbck increase to f-tilt is a nerf and buff. We get 9% angled down which is amazing for shorter characters and intermediate percent tech chaces. Also, don't be so bummed out guys. F-tilt could be more reliable at higher percents for catching landings if they jump out before knockdown.

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
Earlier posts were saying that it's the inside of the ftilt that has the nerfed damage/knockback, but I think it's the middle/knee area. Hitting with the upper leg or thigh does 6 damage, knee area does 5, and the foot does 8. Those three hitboxes all make different sounds, too. The knee hitbox is definitely the new weak link, not the thigh.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
F-tilt may in fact be a buff. I just killed with the 9% up-angled variant at 125% and a bunch of rage on me. My opponent was Mario getting up from ledge and I think the knockback caught him totally by surprise. I've used f-tilt a LOT, I don't think I've ever seen it kill like that before.

Top Bottom