• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai to reveal every newcomer before launch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
With this newcomer on its way, it seems plausible.

Even if you don't believe in the Gematsu leak, the chances of it being Shulk are fairly high considering the Director of Xenoblade retweeted the post, much like what happened with Little Mac, and if that's the case, Gematsu is 9 for 11. With the September release nearing its two month countdown, and a potential August Nintendo Direct making a possibility for yet another newcomer(Chrom), does it feel like Sakurai is making it so that every newcomer is shown pre-release so none of them get spoiled over video sharing sites?

We know Sakurai hated the SubSpace Emissary being leaked over sites like Youtube, so it feels like he's trying to stay ahead of the game this time and potentially show every new character before we get our hands on the game. This will be especially true if we get yet another reveal in the August Direct.

What are your thoughts?

Remember, Sakurai said that they're nearing the end of the newcomer trailers, so we're almost at the end.

Last edited:

FancysaurusRex

Smash Apprentice
I dunno how I'd feel, honestly. Didn't Sakurai say not every newcomer would get a video?

My theory: Gematsu leaker was in marketing, and knew all the newcomer trailers except for Rosalina for whatever reason. Trailers are for starter newcomers and third party newcomers. Unlockable newcomers don't get trailers.

This would explain why not all newcomers get trailers, and why they're "scraping the bottom of the barrel" for trailers...there's only three left! (Shulk, Chrom, Chorus Men)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Sounds likely. I still think it's ****ing ridiculous to let uploaded videos butcher such a thing, might aswell show the entire roster 2 months before release if spoilers are so dangerous. Actually, I wouldn't mind that, I prefer to know everything as soon as possible, but it's still silly to let spoilers dictate how the game's promotion is handled.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
This, IMO, will be the last newcomer revealed. After that, the video for the newcomer will be unlocked after you unlock the paired character.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I feel like this may happen as well. It would explain characters who are normally unlockable being revealed already. I think he would hate for everyone only getting the Wii U version to have the character roster spoiled for them after the 3DS release.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Wasn't it mentioned that all newcomer trailers will be available right off the bat? If so, then it makes sense to see all the newcomers before Smash 3DS is released.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
If there are only 3 characters left than yes. I hope not though. That would be lame.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I wouldn't be disappointed, but rather hyped.

I hope that this is the case for past Smash Veterans, as my dreams are crushed because of Capt Falcon, Jigglypuff, and Ness not being announced...

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I originally thought that there'd be some held back and that we'd at most see one more newcomer before release. If the Gematsu leak is truly the last of the newcomers, I could see them all being revealed before release, just like MK8. Of course, there's also a slight chance that unlockable characters will just be done away with in general or it'll just be costumes/stages/trophies/music as unlockables, but I hope that isn't the case.

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
Not keeping any secrets for Smash 4 is a poor way to deal with secrets getting out during the Brawl era. I sincerely hope we have some unexpected characters left.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
How many secret newcomers were there in Brawl? Lucario, Wolf, ROB, and Toon Link were the only ones right?
I'd hope we get a similar amount of unrevealed newcomers this time around too.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
well even if 1 or 2 are not shown (and these 1 or 2 are the 3 gemusatu characters confirmed by him.)

I think we are getting the newcomers before release

so its likely unlockable veterans will be shown after release and revealing which of the newcomers/ certain veterans revealed that have to be unlocked.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
Not keeping any secrets for Smash 4 is a poor way to deal with secrets getting out during the Brawl era. I sincerely hope we have some unexpected characters left.
Considering the roster will be leaked before anyone outside of Japan can even buy it, does it really matter? I'd rather watch an awesome Nintendo Direct showing off the remaining characters rather than see bad quality pictures of them from someone's Japanese 3DS.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Anybody that matters will be announced. Ones that people won't be very excited about (much like the hidden Brawl characters) will likely be held off.

Acadian Flycatcher

Smash Journeyman
I would much rather have a hyped up CGI trailer revealing the newcomer than hearing about from the Japanese version leaks and only seeing the lackluster 3DS model.

I'm going to get spoiled either way, gone are the days of being completely oblivious to new characters in Smash unless you live under a rock until you buy it.

Last edited:

wewewezing

Smash Cadet
I think he will keep some a secret, or maybe announce a character or two on launch day, just seems like something Sakurai would do.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
He probably will reveal them all. The 3DS version comes out first and it won't have 1080p HD character reveals. After getting the Wii U version who knows how many months later, the cinematics will be lackluster.

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
As much as I hate to say it, it looks like were getting all of the newcomers beforehand, unless Sakurai's statement about all new character trailers being available from the start was false. Its a double ended sword for me. On one hand I love the fact that all of the new characters(and a few snuck in veterans) get hyped up, glorious reveal trailers. On the other hand, I love the fact that Smash Bros is one of the few remaining series(fighting games specifically) that has you unlocking secret fighters. It is something I have adored since the first in the series. It feels like tradition at this point, and to have that all taken away feels kind of awful. There may be secret veterans, and while that can still be exciting(especially if Mewtwo is an unannounced one) its not quite the same as unlocking a brand new character in the series and being genuinely surprised and excited at the unveiling(the ROB reveal in the SSE was absolutely glorious).

Aqueducts

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1891-1713-0780
Seeing Rosalina makes me believe that there are some characters we're not going to expect. I like to think that there will be unlockable newcomers that Sakurai won't post trailers of. That, or we get sorely disappointed that the leak took the surprise factor away from us.

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
Since he did say they are at the bottom of the barrel, it is likely that Shulk, Chrom, Chorus Men are left, but he might keep some secret characters until launch, I have doubts though.

What he might do is not announce any other veteran character until the game releases on 3DS, I mean, we still have...

Game & Watch - Which was pretty much confirmed in the Pac Man trailer
Meta Knight
Falco
Pokemon Trainer - Pretty much confirmed to be cut
Snake - Probably cut but who knows?
Ganondorf
Ice Climbers
Wolf
Ness
Wario
R.O.B
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Lucas

Still quite a bit to go.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
At last E3, Sakurai said that newcomer trailers would be available without having to unlock them.

So I think it's likely that we'll get every newcomer revealed before launch. Whether or not any are unlockable is another thing.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
He just said they're almost out of newcomer TRAILERS. that's ALL he said.

They don't have time to make one for every one. He's said this as well.

I personally don't believe in any leaks. He didn't have Rosalina. Bam.

So I don't think we're getting every newcomer. Now, we'll probably get the most requested ones revealed first. The character reveals are aimed to sell the Wii U when this game comes out. They're trying to appeal to all fans. All of the newcomers (except freaking Angewoman) are very diverse and appeal to different fan bases.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
Here`s some ideas I had today while eating my lunch about who that new character might be:

Game & Watch Jr. (Mr. Game & Watch`s son)

Ridley

Crash Bandicoot

Giygas (Mother form)

A package of Kool-Aid Jammers

Mona (WarioWare)

Tails

Knuckles

Eggman

Zero

Bass

Protoman

Dr. Wily

Oh, and yes, Sakurai will reveal every newcomer and unlockable character before launch. He`s already revealed Palutena and Pac-Man, both of whom I KNOW will be unlockables.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
It doesn't matter really. Come next year who's going to care about unlockable characters anyway? I'd rather just have more substance to entertain me during the wait. I use to be up for keeping unlockables secret but really that moment of excitement will be there either way so why should I care when it happens?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
If we get trailers for Shulk, Chrom and Chorus Men then it's possible the gematsu leaker only has access to newcomer trailers OR only to newcomers going through the marketing/media department.

Somehow I just don't see Sakurai revealing every newcomer, if that's the case why not reveal every veteran too?

Last edited:

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
The new character is 99.999% chance Shulk. Voice of shulk says he's in an exciting new game that he can't name. Xenoblades director retweet's Nintendo's new character message. Amazing coincidence maybe but... really no :p.

There is no more "if". Stop pretending there is. Just like there's no playable Ridley :p.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
Seeing Nintendo reveal all of the characters for Mario Kart 8 before release worries me, but I definitely feel like Sakurai has another mindset and will keep characters unknown and to be unlocked by the player to find out.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
With the internet it's impossible unless you cloister yourself or have a worldwide release which this game isn't having.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
With the internet it's impossible unless you cloister yourself or have a worldwide release which this game isn't having.
Well obviously, I'm only saying there will be characters who won't be officially revealed and have to be unlocked in-game.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
The new character is 99.999% chance Shulk. Voice of shulk says he's in an exciting new game that he can't name. Xenoblades director retweet's Nintendo's new character message. Amazing coincidence maybe but... really no :p.

There is no more "if". Stop pretending there is. Just like there's no playable Ridley :p.
Didn't the voice of Raiden say he was going to be in Super Smash Bros. a few months ago?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Seeing Nintendo reveal all of the characters for Mario Kart 8 before release worries me, but I definitely feel like Sakurai has another mindset and will keep characters unknown and to be unlocked by the player to find out.
Mario Kart has a history of revealing all the characters before launch.

Didn't the voice of Raiden say he was going to be in Super Smash Bros. a few months ago?
Yes, but he goofed. He ment to say PSASBR.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Mario Kart has a history of revealing all the characters before launch.

Yes, but he goofed. He ment to say PSASBR.
Well, the other thing is I hear the voice of Dr. Liara T'Soni Palutena won't be reprising her role in Smash 4, so it's possible that Shulk will be the same way and his voice actor could be referring to another game. Though, anything is possible.

Eliskor

Smash Rookie
As unlikely as its seeming now, I'd love to have some remain hidden. Imagine unlocking Ridley unknowingly. The excitement would be off the charts.

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
As unlikely as its seeming now, I'd love to have some remain hidden. Imagine unlocking Ridley unknowingly. The excitement would be off the charts.
At this point, I just want Ridley to be announced just for the reactions lol.

MasteRMerF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasteRMerF
3DS FC
5000-2607-1297
Eh, I hope he doesn't. I'd love for there to be at least a couple hidden newcomers, like with Lucario, Toon Link, R.O.B. and Wolf in Brawl, if I remember correctly.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
The new character is 99.999% chance Shulk.
This is going into my collection quotes that are absolutely sure of a character so I can post all of them at once in the social thread when it's not that character.

If it is though, cool.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
I've been thinking since the game's announcement that it might not have unlockable characters. It's kind of archaic, honestly. The appeal of the concept is minimized by all of our modern fancy-pants information technology. The secrets get out and it just causes players of all kinds to ask "Why can't I play as my favorite character first?"

Which is an especially relevant question when customization is as big in this game as it is. Having to unlock characters as well as their custom moves and equipment might put some players at a disadvantage. Which isn't much of a big deal, but it just seems like an unnecessary frustration considering what little good we, collectively, get out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom