• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai talks Smash Bros

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
article found here
Basic article where Sakurai talks briefly on Sm4sh. It sounds like the game will be less gimmicky. thank god, and said the gameplay really isn't changing drastically (no 3d battling or complicated tekken like combos) He also briefly mentions tekken cameos and said he enjoyed Snake and Sonic being in the game but doesn't want smash over run by non-nintendo characters. At the end an interesting remark is stated about sm4sh being released in 2013. I think that was just put in by IGN, but I suppose it is possible Sakurai gave a time frame.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I think the 2013 comment is just IGN being numbskulls and making a terrible guess at the date.

Though I guess there could be a lot of things that could shorten the time needed to develop it. Like recycling Brawl stuff. .-.

Edit:
They already said that Smash 4 imported the Brawl engine, likely to save time so they didn't have to rewrite everything from the ground up.
Oh.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
I'm against the idea of them reusing the Brawl engine, because i want them to develop the game a way both hardcore and casual gamers can enjoy it. Hopefully, they'll modify the game physics enough so it doesn't resemble Brawl's too much, like speeding it up a bit.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
I'm against the idea of them reusing the Brawl engine, because i want them to develop the game a way both hardcore and casual gamers can enjoy it. Hopefully, they'll modify the game physics enough so it doesn't resemble Brawl's too much, like speeding it up a bit.
Seems to me it will be pretty similar to Brawl in general. (from those comments) I just wonder what the "new direction" is? It seems like they may just be tweaking and adding characters instead of doing a revamp. They are probably trying to get it done soon after the Wii-U release to boost sales.

Less gimmicky is always good though. :)

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
well if they are going to recycle the entire brawl engine then 2013 is definitely possible. But I assume they are still going to make some edits to it. If Sakurai said he thinks Smash has found a target fan base and then addressed a ton of stuff that only serious players care about it sounds like the engine might see small improvements. But hey! 2013 probably also means no SSE :)

On another note holiday season 2013 is actually close to 2 years in development. I remember seeing somewhere that Namco was aware they were going to be developing smash before Icarus was released. So something around 1 year 8-9 months.

Hmm.... This article gives us a lot of new speculation. I like it ;D

I'm surprised to hear about a 2013 release to be expected, but I could see reasons why they wanted it that way. Nintendo boldly announced the project before it was even in development and I was not sure why they wanted to do that. But if they are shooting for a 2013 release it would fall in the same year the WiiU will launch. Nintendo might not want a repeat with the 3DS with few good launch titles to keep hardware sales up. A new smash game at or new launch would be great.

For even more support that a 2013 release is possible, I believe in one of the articles it was stated, shortly after the Namco Bandi support was announced, they had a working system already made. The WiiU is nothing more really than a slightly enhanced Wii and the Wii was only a slightly enhanced version of the gamecube. Nintendo is probably working with old technology and has a decent stock of employees with experience. With all of this, I guess I could see Q4 2013 release being possible.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Have you seen the graphics WiiU can put out? The jump from Wii to WiiU is much, much larger than the GC to Wii jump. The WiiU is also suppossed to be coming out later this year, but they have never specified even a month when it's coming out.

Anyway, they announced the game early so they can start hiring people to work on it.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Though I doubt Sakurai himself confirmed a release date, I'll hope the 2013 bit wasn't just IGN being IGNorant...again. Time will tell.

I'm glad we can lay the rumors of a 3D Smash to rest, although I'd like to hear more about the new control scheme options. As long as that GameCube-looking prototype is one of the options, he can hammer out as many touch screen controllers as he likes. I'll fancy them from afar.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Maan, this made me think now again, I wonder if they're anyway done with most of the gimmick ideas for 3DS - WiiU -communication and whatnot. (-l<>l-);
I bet they're gonna use Uprising as a base for some of those things.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I still find it odd how apparently there won't be a focus on gimmicks, yet one of the first confirmations is two versions on two different systems interacting with each in some way and a general focus on new ideas as apposed to simply expanding on an existing premise. Maybe the former idea was scrapped due to complications?

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
Do we really know when production began on the core systems? Obviously it was before the Namco Bandai announcement since by that point they already had some sort of demo ready. Sure Sakurai didn't start work on it until KIU was finished but NB may have been contracted and started on the ground work before hand.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I still find it odd how apparently there won't be a focus on gimmicks, yet one of the first confirmations is two versions on two different systems interacting with each in some way and a general focus on new ideas as apposed to simply expanding on an existing premise. Maybe the former idea was scrapped due to complications?
Well, we don't know exactly what the interconnectivity was. One of my initial guesses is that the relationship between the 3DS and WiiU versions will be like the relationship between an iPad and a computer.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
It will be at E3 next year with a holiday 2013 release date but then it will get delayed until early 2014....Just my guess. Either way I cant wait to see that very first trailer.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Sounds to me like he is just trying to reassure people that it will still play like Smash after saying the series needs a "change of direction". No problems there, so long as it's not an excuse to stop polishing and experimenting with the gameplay.

It's also nice to hear him talk of Smash already hitting the target audience. Guess that means delivering to established fans is a bigger priority this time around.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
You know I thought you guys would call shenanigans on that release date more then you did. But yeah I think with the demo already being shown to Sakurai in June(or sooner) that this sounds safe. holiday 2013 is an awesome date to try and hit especially because that will be a big year for WiiU sales.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
They believe next year it'll come out. Honestly, I think late 2013 earliest and early 2015 latest...

D

Deleted member

I honestly doubt a 2013 release date; that's wishful thinking, especially when Sakurai has stated that this game will take up to two years and development started February. Early 2014 at the earliest, thought I'm leaning more towards late 2014 at the moment.

Kolorado

Smash Apprentice
Well, we don't know exactly what the interconnectivity was. One of my initial guesses is that the relationship between the 3DS and WiiU versions will be like the relationship between an iPad and a computer.
From early discussions it seemed that the idea was to "build up" your characters on the 3DS and then "show off" your abilites on the Wii U. What that means exactly I do not know and this was from over a year ago, so things may have changed.

Here is the source: http://nintendoeverything.com/66747/iwata-and-sakurai-talk-smash-bros-wii-u3ds-preliminary-details-build-up-character-on-3ds-show-off-on-wii-u/

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
Having had three very successful entries in the franchise, the former Project Sora boss feels the series has found its target audience, meaning introducing gimmicks would hinder rather than help the brand.

that part right there is the quote that worries me, now i'm not sure if sakurai said that himself, or if it was just ign jumping to conclusions, but....something about the way its worded, comes off as if smash bros will never again be able to capture the best of both worlds, and he seems to be focusing on just one side....the side he went exclusively after in brawl.

maybe i'm thinking to much about it or being a little too worried/paranoid, but i just got this nagging feeling that, as far as the competitive aspect of the series, which is what most of us here loved about it(or well the first 2 games anyway) that he's not even gonna attempt to give anyone who enjoyed playing smash on a deeper level, anything to look forward to at all.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
"Having had three very successful entries in the franchise, the former Project Sora boss feels the series has found its target audience, meaning introducing gimmicks would hinder rather than help the brand."

that part right there is the quote that worries me, now i'm not sure if sakurai said that himself, or if it was just ign jumping to conclusions, but....something about the way its worded, comes off as if smash bros will never again be able to capture the best of both worlds, and he seems to be focusing on just one side....the side he went exclusively after in brawl.
Look at in the context of what else Sakuari has said so far about SSB4, namely:
there is merit in having skilled and unskilled players play together

I don't think he is refering to the audience Brawl was trying to grow, but rather the grand sum of all types of gamers Smash appeals to. Sakuari is just being realistic here, having concluded expanding any further beyond the established audience would be a misstep for the franchise.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
It doesn't exist a game that can be made in one year anymore. This IGN's blabbity blab annoys me.

And about sakurai concluding the main structure, I'm sure that he is reffering about the gameplay structure and now they'll gonna begin to program game modes and add up characters.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't exist a game that can be made in one year anymore. This IGN's blabbity blab annoys me.

And about sakurai concluding the main structure, I'm sure that he is reffering about the gameplay structure and now they'll gonna begin to program game modes and add up characters.
I bet with a big enough team they could make a game in less that 1 year. Plus they started in August if I remember correctly which means holiday 2013 is not out of the question is it?

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
Good read, glad to see Sakurai is still keeping us interested with discussions, interviews, etc.

I'm pretty glad that he stated that he didn't want too many 3rd-Party characters in Smash, with the exception of a "Tales Of" character I'm in agreement. Though my two favorite Tales characters, Lloyd Irving and Emil Castagnier, both appeared on several Nintendo games so I don't think they would be a problem.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There are still games that can be made in one year, though they tend to borrow heavily from the last installment or be very rushed. Other than borrowing a few elements from Brawl, I doubt SSB4 will be either of these, so we're looking at around a two year development time minimum IMO.

I bet with a big enough team they could make a game in less that 1 year. Plus they started in August if I remember correctly which means holiday 2013 is not out of the question is it?
Sakurai started working on SSB4 in February 2012, but apparently Namco had already been working on a prototype prior to that, though I don't think it was as early as August. I wouldn't count on getting the game in 2013.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
Brawl began to be made in october 2005 using Melee's source code as base. And even so, besides the 70-man team (HAL Labs and Game Arts), the game took up two years for be concluded.

Considering that SSB4 will use an all-new source code, the game's development will gonna take a lot of extra time. Get ready for Nintendo's famous habit of delaying your great games nearly the release dates.

I don't care for releasing dates. I just want that the game becomes GOOD!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Brawl began to be made in october 2005 using Melee's source code as base.

Considering that SSB4 will use an all-new source code, the game's development will gonna take a lot of extra time. Get ready for Nintendo's famous habit of delaying your great games nearly the release dates.
SSB4 is using Brawl's engine as a base like Brawl used Melee's engine as a base.

Iwata Asks Interview said:
They will first begin by porting the basic gameplay systems of Smash Bros. X to 3DS and Wii U.
http://andriasang.com/comw97/iwata_asks_smash_bros/

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Look at in the context of what else Sakuari has said so far about SSB4, namely:
there is merit in having skilled and unskilled players play together

I don't think he is refering to the audience Brawl was trying to grow, but rather the grand sum of all types of gamers Smash appeals to. Sakuari is just being realistic here, having concluded expanding any further beyond the established audience would be a misstep for the franchise.
I think what he's really saying is to have players help one another. I think your looking into this and thinking "Sakurai will make this for skilled players too so I can have competitive Smash." I don't think that is what he is going for.

Brawl began to be made in october 2005 using Melee's source code as base. And even so, besides the 70-man team (HAL Labs and Game Arts), the game took up two years for be concluded.

I don't care for releasing dates. I just want that the game becomes GOOD!
HAL was not involved with Brawl, besides music that is.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
They've already been developement for almost 5 months now with another 4 months to go & using the Brawl engine as a building block means that the 2013 date may be possible, maybe won't be until late 2013, like a Holiday Release

volbound1700

Smash Master
Chances are early in this stage the release date is subject to change. Personally I don't want it out in 2013 because I feel it will be half-baked (which I am afraid is going to happen anyways due to the rush to get a star game out to sell the Wii U).

El Duderino

Smash Ace
I think your looking into this and thinking "Sakurai will make this for skilled players too so I can have competitive Smash."
Well, I hate to break it to you, but you thought wrong. Read it again. I'm merely suggesting he's happy with the audience smash has now indicating we're not going to see any extreme changes in the name of reaching some expanded audience.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
They've already been developement for almost 5 months now with another 4 months to go & using the Brawl engine as a building block means that the 2013 date may be possible, maybe won't be until late 2013, like a Holiday Release
I remember that Sakurai said that he wanted to make something different from previous titles, and bearing in mind that will gonna be a portable and a HD version, i cannot imagine the same Brawl source code in use for these projects.

5 months? SSB4 development started in second half of June. He didn't immediately started production after finishing KIU. I'm expecting that Smash Bros 4 will be released on holidays of 2014 or first half 2015.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
I remember that Sakurai said that he wanted to make something different from previous titles, and bearing in mind that will gonna be a portable and a HD version, i cannot imagine the same Brawl source code in use for these projects.

5 months? SSB4 development started in second half of June. He didn't immediately started production after finishing KIU. I'm expecting that Smash Bros 4 will be released on holidays of 2014 or first half 2015.
Even still thats 3 months of development & brainstorming;
You don't think Project Sora & Namco together can finish the game in a years & a half's time? We're talking about a company who has created countless fighter titles in that exact time frame of each other, & we're talking about a team who isn't just making a new game or a sequel but the fourth game in the series, they are skilled at these types of things.
I expect a new & polished Smash Bros, but nothing innovative that will change fighting games or Smash Bros. forever, so why would it be something as time consuming as 3 years, I'll give you 2 years okay, but I believe this will be no serious time consuming thing

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Late 2013 is unlikely, but early-mid 2013 is ridiculous. They won't have the game done with 4 more months of development time. We'll be lucky to get a trailer within the next four months.

Plus this isn't the first Smash to use a previous Smash as a "building block". Brawl used Melee and that still needed nearly 3 years to complete.

You don't think Project Sora & Namco together can finish the game in a years & a half's time?
I think technically it might be possible, but knowing Sakurai's demand for polish and inclusion of a high amount of content, plus the fact that two games are being developed, I'd say it would be extremely unlikely. If they did make the game in a year and a half's time, it would be very light on content, depth, and polish compared to previous titles and fan expectations.

We're talking about a company who has created countless fighter titles in that exact time frame of each other, & we're talking about a team who isn't just making a new game or a sequel but the fourth game in the series, they are skilled at these types of things.
Firstly, most Namco fighters do in fact take more than a year and a half of development. The few that don't aren't necessarily heavy on content, even for a fighting game (not that I'm saying they're bad games).

Secondly, Sakurai has used a different team for each Smash development since Melee, and the team(s) that worked on Brawl is not the same team that will be working on this one. Since Project Sora closed, I assume development will mostly be handled by Namco, who obviously never worked on Smash before.

I expect a new & polished Smash Bros, but nothing innovative that will change fighting games or Smash Bros. forever, so why would it be something as time consuming as 3 years, I'll give you 2 years okay, but I believe this will be no serious time consuming thing
Even if nothing new is implemented (though we all know something will be, Sakurai has already mentioned customization and connectivity) polish alone will require a fair amount of time, considering how much content Sakurai includes in each Smash. Even if we do somehow get the game with 2 or less years of development, that would be quite the unlikely situation, so I wouldn't get my hopes up for a release before Q3/Q4 2014.

KIU finished development in January IIRC, and Sakurai only took about a month off; Smash 4 development began (at least on Sakurai's part) in late February, not June. Your release prediction is probably pretty likely though.

And just because the Brawl engine is being used, doesn't mean it will be the same as Brawl. As you said yourself, Brawl used Melee's, and everybody knows how different they were.

Top Bottom