• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai suggests next Smash Bros game will be made without him

Vash_VisionZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vash_VisionZ
3DS FC
4596-9838-7829
Getting monthly DLC packs like every modern fighting game ever.

Sakurai or not, it's still a Nintendo game, and that's really not their style, so I doubt it would go that far.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
It's hard to say how I feel about it. Being the creator of Smash Bros, it surely won't be the same without him, but I understand Sakurai's situation. As mentioned before, he's getting older, and he already stated that he was irritated by how childish many people were and acted over some decisions made, especially when it came to roster related things. Whatever happens, I'll always thank him for all the hard work he's done, let alone creating such an amazing series that all of us could enjoy, which also happened to be a series that I grew up with.
Thank you Sakurai. You're a legend in the gaming industry forever in my eyes.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Even though the last two times he said he was done, I legitimately think this will be his last go round with the franchise. I imagine he'll supervise/be an adviser for future installments, but these latest entries have really taken their toll on the poor guy. And who knows, fresh blood could be a good thing.

And Ridley might finally get his chance.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Given his similar statements after Melee and Brawl, I'm a bit skeptical.

On the other hand, he did have health issues this time and admits that he's getting older.

Anyway, he did an amazing job with the series and we should all be thankful for his hard work.

He made questionable choices during the series' run, but it's best to remind that he's not perfect. No one is. Regardless, the games possess a high standard of quality that is difficult to top.

He doesn't have to stay as the head developer for the next game, but it's entirely possible that he may act as a supervisor.

Another possibility is him getting to develop another game (perhaps a new IP or another retro revival like he did with Kid Icarus: Uprising) and only then would he possibly return to the Smash series.

Anyway, he needs a vacation after the development of this game is over. He certainly deserves it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, based on what he's said during development this time, I think he's serious about retiring this time. That being said, the series definitely won't be over, as long as Nintendo likes money and good press.

I'm mixed though. I doubt the Smash Formula will suffer. Drastic gameplay changes are not something I'd expect. If it's not broke, don't fix it, you know? But in some ways, it's a blessing and a curse. Character choices come to mind. I'd worry for characters no longer in the public eye. Sure, Sakurai doesn't give a hoot about that, but would other developers? Would not only the Ice Climbers stay cut, but characters like Jigglypuff, Greninja (at the time of Smash 5), the retros, and maybe Ike (though to be fair he's a bit safer in my opinion in this sense) be lost in the process?

On the other end as far as characters, at least the likes of Chrom and Ridley would have a chance later on. :p

As far as a more competitive aspect, I'm uncertain. Sure, Nintendo seems to love the competitive scene now. All those tournaments and such. But at the same time I'm worried that they may make the series suffer a Mario Party effect. Only time would tell for this.

But then again, I'd just hope they'd not Pink Gold Peach us. :laugh:

tl;dr: Only time will tell here. It can go either way, in my opinion, on various aspects of the game.

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
He said similar things after Melee and Brawl got released.

The man's stubborn as hell. Unless he says otherwise, I'm not really buying it, but if this turns out to be real, I don't know who would take his place.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
There are certainly mixed feelings on this matter. For myself, this Super Smash Bros has disappointed me in many ways, but one thing I have been assured of regarding Super Smash Bros is that regardless of choices made regarding additional content, the core gameplay itself is always solid and fun. Certainly a lot of this can be attributed to Sakurai's hard work and dedication, regardless of how our opinions differ, I do respect him for said hard work.

That said, not only would a change of director be interesting to see how things turn out, but I feel it'd also be best for Sakurai himself. Sakurai left HAL because he was tired of making sequels, and yet since leaving, he has only made a single game that wasn't a sequel to something (Meteos). Admittedly, he didn't work on the previous Kid Icarus games, so Uprising can be excused from such a line of thought, but two, or three depending on your view of things, of his games he's made since leaving HAL have been SSB entries. Seeing him actually going about and making non-sequels would be nice to see.

In the end, I welcome a new director for SSB. I'd like to see how someone else would approach SSB, particularly after my disappointment with many of Sakurai's choices for this SSB. I also welcome seeing Sakurai working on more non-SSB projects, be it new IPs or more revivals like with Kid Icarus Uprising. In any case, I imagine Sakurai, even if not working as the sole/head director, would end working on the game within a supervising role or something along those lines.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Wait...if Sakurai is gone someone less stubborn may take his place and give me a true incarnation of Ganondorf...

Thank you for all you have done Mashed Potatoes Samurai now step down!

jk, all my respect.

edit - not to be a troll or anything but I doubt anyone who they would entrust this series to would toss Ridley in.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
As far as a more competitive aspect, I'm uncertain. Sure, Nintendo seems to love the competitive scene now. All those tournaments and such. But at the same time I'm worried that they may make the series suffer a Mario Party effect. Only time would tell for this.
As long as Namco Bandai continues to co-develop the games to balance, I'm okay with Sakurai going with a smaller role.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
...Character choices come to mind. I'd worry for characters no longer in the public eye. Sure, Sakurai doesn't give a hoot about that, but would other developers? Would not only the Ice Climbers stay cut, but characters like Jigglypuff, Greninja (at the time of Smash 5), the retros, and maybe Ike (though to be fair he's a bit safer in my opinion in this sense) be lost in the process?...
If they ever cut R.O.B. or Mr Game&Watch from Smash, I will riot in the streets. By myself, if I have to.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If they ever cut R.O.B. or Mr Game&Watch from Smash, I will riot in the streets. By myself, if I have to.
If it helps, I think R.O.B. would be the safest of that bunch, considering just how often he cameos in other games anyway.

Though that's getting a bit off topic.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
I really dont know how to feel about this, Sakurai is my hero. He made so many of my favorite games but, I had a feeling this might be his last smash. Like he is right it will be extremely hard to find someone to replace him, he is what makes smash still feel like smash. On the other hand someone new might take it in a new direction for the better, but it has an equal chance of landing in someones lap who has no respect for the game and just wants to throw out a new game because its smash and it will sell.

In the end I wanna see Sakurai as a Supervisor or something.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I think that Sakurai's had a great run, and it'll be nice to see what someone else brings to the table.
The absolute worst someone could do is change the basics of Smash, and honestly, I can't see that happening.
As far as character cuts, we've gotten one game per console, and with technology advancing as fast as it is, I'm thinking that we won't have more character cuts due to lack of competent hardware, but lack of time, depending on when the game starts.

I think it'd be cool to see a new developer take more feedback from everyone (note I said everyone, not just the competitive community; I've had friends with great ideas who didn't really bother to get into competitive Smash at all) to really make the game a crowd-pleaser.
I understand that Sakurai "knows what he's doing", and in a sense, it's right, but it'd be nice if he was a bit more understanding on some things, like just taking the stage hazards out of what are already decent stages or bringing back some of the smaller elements that made previous Smash iterations more interesting (crouch cancel dash, momentum from dash, Ganondorf/CF retaining double jump after downB, that kinda small stuff).
I know we want the next Smash to be a unique game, but would it not be cool to see the same "basic" gameplay with all of the things that helped make each individual Smash before it great?
I could care less about technical stuff (as much fun as it is) if I feel like I have more control over what my character can do.

But this is all wishful thinking.
It might happen, it might not -- all I know is that Sakurai's done well and I'm sure whoever is next will do a fine job.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
I'm okay with it. I think Sakurai's taken it as far as he can, to be honest. It really seems like he's run out of ideas, based on how half-baked and just plain underwhelming some of the modes are in this one compared to the past.

And unfortunately I think his negative tendencies just become more pronounced with each new version. I would be happy to see the series in new hands. We always 64, Melee, Brawl, and this newest one to go back to (in addition to Project M).

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Shigeru Miyamoto working on the new Star Fox is like bringing home the bacon and frying it in the pan.

Sakurai is a talented and in-tune developer. He has given the community lots of fun leading up to the Smash games and with the Smash games themselves. Sure there are a few disappointments with the 3ds/Wii U versions, but I truly think that he's not at fault. He was pressured to make two games, both of which were rushed due to getting it out on time. Both of which needed content exclusive, including stage roster, to make them separate yet all one game as a whole. There's only so much you can do with massive amounts of content while the pressure is weighing down on your shoulders (literally?).

I have a thing for certain people in charge, who all is involved and what teams worked on projects together. Smash Bros. will always be Smash Bros. It does not need "freshness", just content from the same games that we hadn't seen yet (stages/costumes/etc). We've been getting new stuff each time. This franchise has always gone uphill and I wouldn't trade Sakurai for another. He truly knows how to balance and perfect a game.

He at best needs to be a producer.

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Kinda sad that he'll go

But we'll get near to the next best thing with Hal Labs taking over + a possible Namco collab.

Smash will be fine, but sakurai will always be my favorite developer, hope he finds happiness in what he chooses to do next.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sakurai should be placed second only to Miyamoto in the pantheon of video game gods.
I'd put Sakurai above him. Sure, Miyamoto kick started Nintendo games, and has delivered many great ones going forward. But he makes decisions far more questionable than Sakurai has ever done, most of which are due to his unwillingness to break from old traditions. It's why I'm glad true modern innovators like Sakurai and Aonuma are there at Nintendo too. Miyamoto is far too old fashioned at this point for me to consider him above someone like Sakurai, who you can at least tell is trying to take new approaches.

At least Miyamoto was responsible for how Hyrule Warriors turned out, though.

darthnazgul

Smash Cadet
NNID
darthnzgul
I can't help but feel like this is a bit of a Hideo Kojima moment. He kept saying that each Metal Gear game would be his last as director, but he's kept coming back. Although there have been numerous reasons for his return each time, and who knows if they would apply to Sakurai here.

Personally, I'm absolutely fine with him stepping down if he does. He's devoted so much of his life to the creation of four fantastic games, and I would have been satisfied with just one of them. He can stay on as a producer if he feels the need to, but considering the toll this latest development has supposedly taken on him, then it should be a position with relatively little work.

Fathom778

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPSICANEX2
I can see Sakurai leaving. I mean, he's getting up there in the years. Smash games aren't good for his health. As much as I hate to say it, but I say we'll probably be lucky if we get one more Smash with Sakurai. Do I think he'll be completely leave Smash? No way. I just don't think he'll be Director. I say, appreciate the game we have now, and settle the other stuff later.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
you guys are forgetting that theres a huge gap between smash games.

Smash5 wont be out for 4-6 years at least. I'd be kinda shocked if they even thought about releasing another without a new console to build it on.
By the time that comes, sakurai might change his mind and still be on the team. And quite frankly as long as whoever takes over doesnt try to overhaul the game into his/her image, it'll still be a fun game. By overhaul i mean totally change basic mechanics that havent even changed since n64 or have only been slightly tweaked.

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo won't let Smash die. And Sakurai is not abandoning it. He said that for Melee and Brawl, it really doesn't seem convincing anymore. Besides there's around 4 years between releasing the last game and developing the next game, he can recover in that period.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Sakurai is my fav Game Developer behind Miyamoto himself. Without him, I wouldn't love Nintendo as much as I currently do.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
As much as I love Sakurai, I wanna see someone else try. I feel like he's reached the top of the mountain and created the pinnacle of Smash games. However, someone else climbing the mountain and possibly a new direction/reboot to the series is needed eventually, if not in Smash 5.

Change is good, guys. Nintendo would NEVER do anything to hurt their arguably most prized series, so they aren't giving the directors chair to just anyone. If you think Smash will only work with Sakurai then you must be oblivious to Project M.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Good. Now he can get working on Ice Climbers: Uprising.

In all seriousness though, I'm a little mixed like the rest of you. I say the guy deserves a break. I hope at least that the next director (if there is one) has a different view on story mode cutscenes and actually makes one. In fact, they could go ahead and have one guy direct the console version and another guy make the handheld.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
I don't know about another director, I have a feeling we won't get as much attention to details and the amount of content we always get with another director.

I would always like to see new takes on a series by new people (Like Koizumi with Super Mario Sunshine, even Rare with Donkey Kong was a very radical change) but I'm afraid they'll either stay too safe or change way too much.

the8thark

Smash Lord
At least Miyamoto was responsible for how Hyrule Warriors turned out, though.
So we are blaming Hyrule Warrior's flaws on Miyamoto? The same main flaw that Smash 4 WiiU has. Forcing the player to play overly and unfairly stages to unlock the game's content. And being forced to do it with specific characters that not everyone is good with. It's impossible for anyone not a true expert at either game to enjoy all of the content of both games.

This is happening on more and more WiiU games and it's a worrying trend. I hope StarFox WiiU and Zelda WiiU do not suffer from this flaw also.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So we are blaming Hyrule Warrior's flaws on Miyamoto? The same main flaw that Smash 4 WiiU has. Forcing the player to play overly and unfairly stages to unlock the game's content. And being forced to do it with specific characters that not everyone is good with. It's impossible for anyone not a true expert at either game to enjoy all of the content of both games.

This is happening on more and more WiiU games and it's a worrying trend. I hope StarFox WiiU and Zelda WiiU do not suffer from this flaw also.
Uuuuh, I was complementing him there.

Hyrule Warriors was going to be more like a Zelda game, but Miyamoto was the one who said to make it more like a Warriors game. And I really like the game, so I'm thankful for that.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

I don't really see how beating one guy in crewel smash is that hard, or unlocking all the characters in HW. The weapons in HW aren't content, they're character upgrades.

Folt

Smash Ace
Only one thing I can say to this: Even if we get a new director (which is likely), Ridley will probably not be playable in future Smash games.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I think Sakurai deserves a rest. Faults or not, the core game of Smash 4 is really damn fun, and it does an utterly fantastic job of being so. It's wrong to say he didn't go out on a high note, even IF your favourite character didn't get in. I love the way it plays, the way I can just play with my American friends online and somehow have minimal lag (and trolling, because I love messing with them) and I love the balanced roster. Thank you, based Sakurai. For reals, this time.

As for Ridley... he's a popular request. For all we know, a new director may throw him in to gain the popularity of the fanbase. I wouldn't get my hopes up, however. Ridley's so polarising that for all we know, even the next director may end up feeling the same as Sakurai.

It gives us a large question question mark for the future, though. Will certain characters get changed or cut? Jigglypuff's been safe under Sakurai's eyes, but for another director, she might have just lost relevance and it might be better to include a new Pokémon to replace her.

It's change, but it makes me feel kind of excited. I don't know what's gonna happen, which feels pretty thrilling.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
I'm happy about this news i'm thankful for what sakurai has done but i welcome a new perspective and possibly a better competitive smash game.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
It could be great or it could be awful, but there's one thing I know, without sakurai the roster will suck and the newcomers will be kinda boring

Cheezy23

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cheezy23
I think Sakurai is an awesome game director and developer. But...I think Smash can live on without him. I think, if he wanted, he should go full-time into Kid Icarus. I feel like he must've had an awesome time making that, otherwise Pit/Palutena/Dark Pit wouldn't be in Smash and there wouldn't be those Palutena conversations.

I don't care what he makes, if he makes Smash again, great! But I'd like him to put his stamp on something else too

We'll see, only time will tell.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
I feel a new director would cut many corners regarding content especially.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'll believe it when it happens.

If it does end up happening I'll be legit excited about it though. Cause I want to see what someone else would do with Smash.

Rojo Espada

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rojo_Espada
3DS FC
4313-0371-7210
A part of me doesn't want him to work on the next Smash because Smash 4 was really hard on him. One with that hurt arm of his.

But the other part of me wants him to keep working on it because Sakurai's works have always been great.

I dunno. We'll see what happens.

Top Bottom