• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai Says His Work on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Has Come to an End

Ultimate_Over.jpg

It's been 5 years since Super Smash Bros. Ultimate released and over 2 years since Sora was announced. In a tweet yesterday, Masahiro Sakurai stated that his work on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has come to an end.

The tweet translates to the following:
"Sora’s amiibo comes out today! Thank you to everyone who worked on it (this was an amazing accomplishment). The design was always perfect, and the details and the colors look exactly as intended. The pose and sculpting look good as well. Now that all of the fighters have an amiibo, my work on Super Smash Bros Ultimate is basically done. Thank you for everything." [Thanks, Siliconera!].

There's no news of Masahiro Sakurai's next game project, or whether he'll do one. He has been uploading to his YouTube channel.

Author's Note: End of an era for sure. I was starting up my Graduate studies when this game came out. Exciting that all the Smash amiibo are out though (again)! What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments.

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

to me one of the big feeling i have now is , Ultimate , titling should have been exclusive to Japan. While all these 3rd party characters are quite famous , I don't care for any of them.

to me one of the big feeling i have now is , Ultimate , titling should have been exclusive to Japan. While all these 3rd party characters are quite famous , I don't care for any of them.
Don't worry, the next Smash will be called "Super Smash Bros."

Nevermind that it was already used.

If the rumors are true that a fourth new Spirit Board event will be coming up, odds are, that will be the very last one that we'll be getting.

But its not exclusive to japan in japan its called special!
(a much better name tbh)

I honestly think sakurai shouldnt lead smash by himself anymore! I mean His? Opinions on how certain characters/ franchises should be handeld lead to a lot of weird things! I mean i can be biased but even i show a bit more restraint than sakurai (or whoever else was responsible) I think the specific franchises should be handled by the most capable all faccets of the franchise loving people! (originally i wanted to say head honchos but than i rembered eiji aonouma exists)

Also i think the next game really shouldnt be a reboot i mean its fun to speculate about it but there is no reason to have less characters than like 60-70!
Cut out all the fluff and a lot of thirdparties to be sure but cutting im,portant nintendo cast members seems wrong to me!

But its not exclusive to japan in japan its called special! (a much better name tbh)
It's as Ultimate as it gets for famous Japanese characters.
We should have gotten a more accurate title for the rest of the world.
I personally am in favor of a reboot because my favs are very safe & i want some big reworks.

One day we will see the light as to were we've been missing out on Sakurai's work and his greatness in Melee's and all players shall see the truth and shall see the light and will all join to be one's community!

Top Bottom