• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai On Wii Fit Trainer, Villager and The Order of Character Announcements

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
In an interview with Japanese magazine Nintendo Dream, Super Smash Bros series director Mashahiro Sakurai spoke up about Animal Crossing's Villager and the surprising addition of the Wii Fit Trainer to the Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS roster. He also talked about deciding the order in which characters were announced.

Below is the quote from the interview translated by the good people at Nintendo Everything.

Wii Fit Trainer and Villager

NintendoDream: Not only guest characters were shocking, but Wii Fit Trainer as well. It was a character no one saw coming, right?

Sakurai: Yes, that’s right. Zero, none… (laughs)

(everyone laughs)

Sakuai: For Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it was discussed that non-combatant-like characters wouldn’t be added, but this time an important aspect of the concept was “if that character is included, could interesting things be done and could that fighter express individual traits?” When making this game, it was necessary to think very seriously “how to create new fun things”. I was able to think in my head the way how Wii Fit Trainer and Villager would operate so therefore they were included. Games must be completed properly, and in order to have fun gameplay for you and your opponent, each character has to have individuality. The present Smash Bros. was done by giving importance to that.

NintendoDream: By the way, did you realize Trainer as something to put into a Smash game at the time of the release of Wii Fit?

Sakurai: No, that’s not the case. I don’t think about new characters etc. if I don’t have to for making a new Smash Bros. game.

- - -​

NintendoDream also asked Sakurai if he was the one who chose the order in which characters were announced.

Sakurai: Yes. Although I received consultation on events and such, the schedule of what gets announced and when all was decided beforehand. That is so things like deadlines for the movies were arranged accordingly.

---​

Previously, Sakurai talked to NintendoDream about Bowser Jr almost being cut from the roster and the inclusion of Duck Hunt, Dr. Mario and the Mii Fighters.

TewnLeenk is a writer for Smashboards and plays a pretty mean Wii Fit Trainer. Follow and chat with him on Twitter @TewnLeenk.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I assume Smashboards is going to show news relating to ALL of the newcomers. That'd be nice.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
So how long until someone ask Sakurai about collecting custom moves and why they are such a pain in the rear to obtain?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Wii Fit Trainer looks like a "You must be this tall to Smash sign" standing next to Villager.

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
It sounds like he's sick and tired of doing Smash Bros, from a lot of the articles I've read. He mentions he doesn't think up new Smash characters when he doesn't have to, but from personal experience with game developers I can say that we're always thinking up what to do with a game if we enjoy making it.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Im still kinda surprised that he decided to put Villager in (when he said years ago that he was "too innocent" to be in the violent world of Smash), but Im glad he changed his mind; because Villager actually is the closest thing to Satan in the game.

How ironic.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
It sounds like he's sick and tired of doing Smash Bros, from a lot of the articles I've read. He mentions he doesn't think up new Smash characters when he doesn't have to, but from personal experience with game developers I can say that we're always thinking up what to do with a game if we enjoy making it.
He just doesn't like making sequels it is the reason he stopped making Kirby games after Kirby Air Ride and tries to make all the Smash games play differently.

Prism

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jesset202
3DS FC
0576-5008-6643
Agreed. I'm fine with Sakurai being done with Smash. Let people who actually want to make it make it.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Excuse me, but I'd give Dr. Mario a pass for being Pre-Brawl Mario. Plus, the Doc is awesome.
Lucina, in her defense, deals equal damage across the entire sword, essentially making her a better Marth.
Dark Pit... I got nothin'.

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
I don't get why certain characters shouldn't be in Smash. So what if they're cute? That's what brings novelty, seeing all sorts of Nintendo characters in one area. I mean Kirby made it in, look at him. Wii Fit Trainer, Ice Climbers, and Duck Hunt aren't technically fighting material either.

Dark Emperor Hardin

Smash Cadet
Excuse me, but I'd give Dr. Mario a pass for being Pre-Brawl Mario. Plus, the Doc is awesome.
Lucina, in her defense, deals equal damage across the entire sword, essentially making her a better Marth.
Dark Pit... I got nothin'.
I'll have to disagree on "better Marth" since Marth can potentially deal more damage and kill exactly 40% faster with a tipper uncharged forward smash. And based on the shortness of his sword in this iteration, tipping is really easy.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
:4ganondorf: - Don't forget this guy who is still just a slower and stronger Captain Falcon for 14 years. Not much individuality there either
:4tlink: - and this guy that can a have many different items from the games this design in them WW, ST etc. And just over all have some different attack animations from Adult Link. Like in PM they gave him new Fsmash, A combo that represents WW a lot better.

Besides obvious clones, these 2 stick out the most in the "why aren't they more unique / have more individuality" department...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Still holding out hope for him bringing up Rosalina and talking about her inclusion a bit.

Warlockkobra

Smash Cadet
NNID
RockKrock
3DS FC
5026-5232-2611
at least they aren't clones...
love to play trolley with them

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I wonder what made him consider Rosalina, aside from the fact that she's one of the only main Mario characters who's not a cardboard box.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Maybe he can go over some of the characters that were considered but never implemented? Or perhaps those that were highly requested, but were not added as playable?

Maybe he can just talk about Mewtwo?

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
If there isn't the Gematsu leak. The expection of Wii Fit trainer is really zero....
Still holding out hope for him bringing up Rosalina and talking about her inclusion a bit.
I don't know what kind of issue will they talk about Rosalina. I'm curious to know if Sakurai nearly cut Bowser jr is it because that Rosalina is a Mario Smash newcomer and he realized that Mario series has too much characters?
Or did he prefer Rosalina in Smash than Bowser jr first?

Last edited:

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
I'm waiting for the question "Why was dark pit chosen?" just to see if Sakurai becomes speechless. Lol

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
:4ganondorf: - Don't forget this guy who is still just a slower and stronger Captain Falcon for 14 years. Not much individuality there either
:4tlink: - and this guy that can a have many different items from the games this design in them WW, ST etc. And just over all have some different attack animations from Adult Link. Like in PM they gave him new Fsmash, A combo that represents WW a lot better.

Besides obvious clones, these 2 stick out the most in the "why aren't they more unique / have more individuality" department...
That's pretty much my thoughts as well. Sometimes, I really wonder if he secretly dislike or is quite lazy in thought with the Zelda series.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I don't understand why Sakurai thought it was a good idea to release the Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt trailer after the 3DS version was released.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
So basically Sakurai pulled a Death Battle analysis on characters that didn't visually seem to fit as a fighter. Makes sense TBH.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
I'm waiting for the question "Why was dark pit chosen?" just to see if Sakurai becomes speechless. Lol
Sakurai already talked about Dark Pit:4darkpit: when inquired about Dr. Mario:4drmario:. They were originally envisioned to be "variations" of already existing characters (think of the Koopalings or Alph:4alph:), but decided to tweak them slightly as a service to the fans who would associate with these characters differently than who they were slapped on to as palette swaps (:4mario:,:4marth:,:4pit:). Sakurai has shared that the initial roster for the game was finalized in May of 2012, long ago. Doc wasn't on it. Dark Pit wasn't on it. Lucina was not on it.:4lucina: But you know what? Neither was Chrom or Ridley or Dixie or whomever, and no amount of clones will ever change that. As I have argued for a long time, their presence on the roster is an extra gift, and it did not take any other character's development time for them to be included.

Last edited:

Seal

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai has shared that the initial roster for the game was finalized in May of 2012, long ago. Doc wasn't on it. Dark Pit wasn't on it. Lucina was not on it. But you know what? Neither was Chrom or Ridley or Dixie or whomever, and no amount of clones will ever change that. As I have argued for a long time, their presence on the roster is an extra gift, and it did not take any other character's development time for them to be included.
So true. Better clones than nothing at all.

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
[/quote][="the101 post: 18310838, member: 255439IA"]Sakurai already talked about Dark Pit:4darkpit: when inquired about Dr. Mario:4drmario:. They were originally envisioned to be "variations" of already existing characters (think of the Koopalings or Alph:4alph:), but decided to tweak them slightly as a service to the fans who would associate with these characters differently than who they were slapped on to as palette swaps (:4mario:,:4marth:,:4pit:). Sakurai has shared that the initial roster for the game was finalized in May of 2012, long ago. Doc wasn't on it. Dark Pit wasn't on it. Lucina was not on it.:4lucina: But you know what? Neither was Chrom or Ridley or Dixie or whomever, and no amount of clones will ever change that. As I have argued for a long time, their presence on the roster is an extra gift, and it did not take any other character's development time for them to be included.[/quote]
Beileve It or not I like clones especially since it's an extra but I just mentioned it since I didn't know what he would say about him specifically. I even main :4darkpit:

(I have no clue why this post looks so bad lol)

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's really a shame we almost never get information about what didnt make it in, at least not until the game it finally does make it in. He could actually see what generates lots of fan demand.... not that it means a modicum of a deal to him.

Even if we don't get it, I'd like to know what he had planned.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
That's pretty much my thoughts as well. Sometimes, I really wonder if he secretly dislike or is quite lazy in thought with the Zelda series.
He definitely loves the Zelda series considering the Kirby games have references to the series, not just the green hat on Sword Kirby either, Kirby Superstar added the sword laser from Zelda, it even works the same way only available when you're at full health. Meta Knight has that too in the DS remake.

Top Bottom