• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai On Mii Fighters, Dr. Mario, and Duck Hunt

AppleCracker

Smash Apprentice
People ask me why I choose to play Roy over Marth. I tell them... "Sometimes, I just want to watch the world burn..." lol I will admit that I think Roy takes a great amount of skill and spacing to be great with. I mean, look at Sethlon. I don't know what it is about me, but I love characters that burn things i.e. Charizard, Roy, Mario, Bowser...
*steps back*

RADSheikah

Smash Apprentice
I am kind of Curious on the process of getting the third party characters back/in. I am mainly curious about the process for getting :4megaman: and :4sonic:

pants name guy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-7849-1985
As much as I'd like to say so, I doubt it. Young Link was replaced by Toon Link, and it would appear that it's going to stay like that due to Toon Link's visual individuality. He adds more variety to the cast with his cel-shaded appearance. Roy, despite being completely different from Ike, was replaced with him in a way. They share "similar," and I use that term loosely, Neutral B's. Ike would also be considered more fit to return, time restraints aside, due to his uniqueness from Marth. Both have basically been replaced, leaving Dr. Mario as the only one unreplaced, though I consider his absence unmissed, as he is a direct clone of Mario.
Now, also consider that Roy would require a completely a completely new model and fairly largely modified hitboxes due to his differences from Marth. The same goes for Young Link. Dr. Mario simply requires redressing Mario as a Doctor. He needs minimal model edits and no hitbox changes. In addition, Dr. Mario is also very different from Mario in his Down B: Dr. Tornado. This wouldn't even have to be created totally new, as some data can be ported from Luigi's Luigi Cyclone. Heck, you can even reuse voice clips, a property no other clone can claim. After all that's done, its a matter of replacing textures and other minor properties, and you've basically got Dr. Mario. Much easier that Young Link or Roy. Finally, I think Sakurai kind of knew no one liked FLUDD, so he may have selected Dr. Mario because he can be Pre-Brawl Mario.
I actually prefer Doc because of Dr. Tornado and several other small things, plus the fact that Dr. Mario is cooler than Mario by a runway.
You may have noticed that I left out Pichu. This is because I think he's a special case. Pichu, well, no one really liked Pichu, period. End of story. Yes, he has a very vocal fanbase (which I am proud to be part of), but I admit we are a minority. Pichu would have required smaller model edits than Roy and Young Link, similar to Marth is to Lucina, another "model swap." His hitbox changes would have very large, similar to what Roy would have required, but not to the extent of Link and Young Link. All that's left after that is porting Pikachu's moveset and recording new voice clips. His changes are arguably more drastic than the ones Dr. Mario required. And then, no one liked him. He was a joke character. That is probably the most massive reason as to why he failed to return. Had he been done differently in Melee, he might be in Smash 4, either alongside Doc or replacing him. I don't know. Honestly, I like Pichu a lot, but I'd much rather have Doc. He's Pre-Brawl Mario, and I used to play Mario until he got FLUDD, and the community, as a whole, would much rather have Dr. Mario.
I was joking about Roy being replaced with the koopaling

I main Young Link in melee pls don't laugh at me

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm perfectly fine with Young Link "replaced" by Toon Link... they are the same character, only the graphic style changes (though, I'm not fine with the fact that he is a clone but that's another story).
Link (both) in Smash is a generic Link who represents all of them, it's not link from that game or from another.

I think that Sakurai is completely wrong with the Miis.
He removed the personality and individuality of the Miis transforming them into generic customizable characters with Mii faces. Mii is a franchise, he should have represented it in the right way.
What he said is like saying... "we transformed Wii Fit Trainer into a karateka because if she was doing yoga she would have been a failure"; completely wrong logic.
I was hyped about that Find Mii feature that Mii had different magical powers depending on their colors, possibly implemented in Smash. He failed not seeing things like this as potential creative ideas.
I think that Miis should not have been customizable, but they should have been different each other based on the physical characteristics of the Mii used to make the fighter. This way, your "Mii fighter editor" would have been the normal Mii editor, and it would have been more fun to experiment with different Miis how the fighter would have been.
Miis are the modern version of Mr Game & Watch, and they should have been represented like that.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
"Back alley doctor" Oh, Sakurai, you amuse me so.

More like, your friendly neighborhood w33d distributor.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Although Sakurai clarified that adding Duck Hunt was mainly to emulate the feel of their game, the caveat about sales could be something for fans to misconstrue about character speculation. Hoh boy!

MP8

Smash Journeyman
Not that I used the Ice Climbers nor cared for them, I will still sympathize with their mains and reps. Not including them because the 3DS couldn't handle their properties is a real load of crap. Tradition should take preference over equalizing a crappy version (3DS version) of Smash that few care about anymore.

"Back-alley doctor." That's a new one.

Last edited:

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
Cool. Interesting interview. He has some flawed concepts as to what fans want, but it didn't affect Megaman and Little Macs return, and I love Duck Hunt and Dr. Mario.

misterOWAIN33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MR_FA1L
3DS FC
2294-5361-2433
It's kind of surprising that :4drmario:, out of all characters from Melee, ended up returning to the cast. I wonder if the other clones were brought up at some point?
It could be worse...:pichumelee:
And also, now we have Mewtwo, so someone must have brought that up...

WHY thefuk didnt they bring back SOLID SNAKE?!?!?!
I'd like to see Snake too, but he would be nothing like in Brawl/PM. His :GCCD: and :GCD::GCB: wouldn't work as well since the game puts an arrow over an item, kinda ruining the point of those attacks.

WAIT! I forgot :4sheik: :GCR::GCB: Long Live Snake!!!
:snake::snake::snake::snake::snake::snake::snake::snake::snake::snake:

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I always sort of felt that between Dr. Mario, Lucina and Dark Pit, Dr. Mario I feel is the most respectful addition because now you have a choice of Down-B Fludd and Down-B Mario tornado besides the stat changes cause, I get people wanted that to be more of a custom moves thing but I think it's cool to be able to take one of the two online.

Nothing against Dark Pit and Lucina by the way I like them just fine, more so Lucina because well since her power is constant on all parts of her sword, you don't have to be as spacing heavy as Marth so you could afford to play more offensively.

Exzerko

Smash Cadet
I kinda want Roy back but if he ends up never coming back :4lucina: is basically a clone of him so i won't mind playing as her

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
So the clones actually took some time to make? I thought they were just added last minute. Not sure if I'm happy about this though.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I hate Duck Hunt Dog
I came here to say the exact same thing only in a more spiteful manner. Beat me to it.

That character is an abomination and his mere inclusion makes me sick. That is all.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Hence the reason that he cut out Ice Climbers out of the Wii U version because they wouldn't run on the 3DS...

Basically, he lied.
8-player Smash. Oh, and it's basically in constant effect in classic.

I came here to say the exact same thing only in a more spiteful manner. Beat me to it.

That character is an abomination and his mere inclusion makes me sick. That is all.
I remember when people were upset over G&W. And Roy. And MARTH. And ICs. And Young Link. And Pichu. And Dr. Mario. And ROB. And Lucas. (And Ness after Lucas.) And Wolf. And Villager. And WFT. And not Chrom 1 & 2. And Dark Pit.

But they actually have fanbases. People like them. Honestly, you're looking like somebody just out to post hateful comments because you can. If this is some misguided attempt to have the character removed, well, it doesn't exactly work. Sakurai can't hear you. Nor does he care. He'd rather listen to fans.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
I wonder if including Roy too would have been smart, instead of Lucina. I'd much rather have Lucina, but it would've been cool to add Roy, especially if they would consider a new moveset for him.
People just hate Lucina because she isn't Roy, this is a fact!

Sakurai's reasons to bring back Dr. Mario are completely understandable, since even Pichu had its own fanbase, a small one, of course, but it had. I can easily say that people wouldn't be whinning about clones if they brought Roy back.

And am I the only that consider Toon Link a mere redesign for Young Link? I don't support people treating YL and TL as two different beings.

Kos-MosPlushie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kos-MosPlushie
Okay, it makes sense that Dr. Mario isn't Mario. Dr. Mario retains his Melee moveset, it wouldn't make sense for him to use FLUDD. Lucina and Dark Pit? No. There's no reason those two shouldn't have been model swaps.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
8-player Smash. Oh, and it's basically in constant effect in classic.

I remember when people were upset over G&W. And Roy. And MARTH. And ICs. And Young Link. And Pichu. And Dr. Mario. And ROB. And Lucas. (And Ness after Lucas.) And Wolf. And Villager. And WFT. And not Chrom 1 & 2. And Dark Pit.

But they actually have fanbases. People like them. Honestly, you're looking like somebody just out to post hateful comments because you can. If this is some misguided attempt to have the character removed, well, it doesn't exactly work. Sakurai can't hear you. Nor does he care. He'd rather listen to fans.
He could have added ANYONE. But he chose the insignificant ******* dog from duck hunt? I don't care what Sakurai cares about. He ranks just below a tapeworm to me in terms of lower lifeforms. Wii Fit Trainer is another abomination. But not on the same level as the mutt. And i'd hate to see the dog's fan base. Liking Duck Hunt is one thing, but I literally cannot envision anyone who is a fan of the ****ing DOG. Or any parasite that was actually excited for Wii Fit Trainer. Sorry my opinion makes you salty, bro. But it's not changing and I will take every opportunity to bash that damn character.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
People just hate Lucina because she isn't Roy, this is a fact!

Sakurai's reasons to bring back Dr. Mario are completely understandable, since even Pichu had its own fanbase, a small one, of course, but it had. I can easily say that people wouldn't be whinning about clones if they brought Roy back.

And am I the only that consider Toon Link a mere redesign for Young Link? I don't support people treating YL and TL as two different beings.
I wouldn't care if we got either Roy or Lucina. I just want a more diverse character, not a clone.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
He could have added ANYONE. But he chose the insignificant ******* dog from duck hunt? I don't care what Sakurai cares about. He ranks just below a tapeworm to me in terms of lower lifeforms. Wii Fit Trainer is another abomination. But not on the same level as the mutt. And i'd hate to see the dog's fan base. Liking Duck Hunt is one thing, but I literally cannot envision anyone who is a fan of the ****ing DOG. Or any parasite that was actually excited for Wii Fit Trainer. Sorry my opinion makes you salty, bro.
Your wife, Mrs.Pepper, was looking for you.

Don't mean to inSALT you, though.

Kos-MosPlushie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kos-MosPlushie
He could have added ANYONE. But he chose the insignificant ******* dog from duck hunt? I don't care what Sakurai cares about. He ranks just below a tapeworm to me in terms of lower lifeforms. Wii Fit Trainer is another abomination. But not on the same level as the mutt. And i'd hate to see the dog's fan base. Liking Duck Hunt is one thing, but I literally cannot envision anyone who is a fan of the ****ing DOG. Or any parasite that was actually excited for Wii Fit Trainer. Sorry my opinion makes you salty, bro. But it's not changing and I will take every opportunity to bash that damn character.
You rank Sakurai below a tapeworm because of two characters you don't like.

Kay.

HanAmes

Smash Ace
Also sucks that we had to lose some good characters, too...I feel your pain.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
Duck Hunt comes from a game that sold more than TWENTY-EIGHT MILLION COPIES, more units than the whole GameCube install base. Yup, very insignificant. I'm pretty surprised that Sakurai just considered Duck Hunt now for this game and never for the previous ones, even certain fangames cared about Duck Hunt and its infamous but pretty memorable dog.
Wii Fit Trainer also comes from a very successful video game series (don't care if is for casuals or not, it's successful and that's what matters), her inclusion also makes sense.

I'm not salty from your post, but I can assure that you'll always get salty after losing a match for these two characters, it's pratically a cosmic law, if you hate a character, you also hate lose for this character, I hate losing for Marth until nowadays, because this moron is an eternally impossible match for Mario :/

Top Bottom