• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai becomes a pro...

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Yeah I bet Mew2King knows about as much about the game as he does. Knowledge about the game itself though is one thing. Knowledge about the metagame is a different thing, and Sakurai probably knows nothing about this, so he wouldn't just start out being pro with every character.
For example, based on game knowledge alone and disregarding match-up experience, you wouldn't know how good MK or Snake are or how bad Ganondorf is right away. Otherwise the game would have been much better balanced.
assuming he has knowledge of every hitbox, etc, metagame wouldnt matter. assuming, of course.

@thread - he wouldnt be a pro. knowledge of everything about the game =/= execution skill

MDU

Smash Cadet
I swear Sakurai hates The Legend of Zelda. Look at Bottom Tier.

He'd main Metaknight, its a kirby creation after all.

Also, don't give me **** about Sakurai knowing about character design. How is it possible to justify Snake's up-tilt.

Its not even close to realistic.

Tetsion

Smash Journeyman
MK, you can't tell me that much brokenness is by accident.
just like kirby in smash 64

or wait subspace emissary kirby... or wait.... DDD knowing everything with badges, save the day... chain grab.. voiced by sakurai

or metaknight on a whole other level...

all an accident totally.

Can't handle tournaments without having kirby in there (melee) : )

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
He must have forgot his glasses, and accidentally buffed Jiggs instead of Kirby in Melee.

Jonas

Smash Champion
MK, you can't tell me that much brokenness is by accident.
Only if we assume he just wanted to create a character that looked cool and had cool moves. Judging from DDD's chaingrab and other easy to find, overpowered techniques, I don't think this game was subject to a lot of playtesting (aside from making sure the basic gameplay mechanics work).

Even if he did realize how good Meta Knight is, I think he's the type of guy who would just assume people would "play fair" and not abuse the game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Even if he did realize how good Meta Knight is, I think he's the type of guy who would just assume people would "play fair" and not abuse the game.
So Sakurai is a scrub then?

Jonas

Smash Champion
So Sakurai is a scrub then?
No, he's a video game designer. He doesn't even play the games he make (he said in Iwata Asks that he doesn't make the kind of games he would play himself) and he doesn't care about competitive play. He just tries to make games that appeal to the as many people as possible.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I believe that's in another interview where the subject was him and Hideki Kamiya (creator of Bayonetta).

I have to wonder why he's even working on games like Brawl if they're not his type. From the other stuff I've read about him, he's too concerned about the people who buy the game. I'd love to see a game from him that he likes to play.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I have to wonder why he's even working on games like Brawl if they're not his type. From the other stuff I've read about him, he's too concerned about the people who buy the game. I'd love to see a game from him that he likes to play.
He's just figured out that making succesful games is about including a many people as possible. The first Kirby was made easy and accesible to newcomers because Sakurai thought most people would get tired of video games if they were too hard.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Have you actually played the first Kirby? It was the hardest in the series...almost got NES hard with the secret code. After that, though, I agree.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Hmm no, I've actually only played the first NES Kirby game, now that I think about it, but that's beside the point. Kirby is supposed to be a game series that anyone can pick up and enjoy regardless of gaming skill. I don't think the the first NES Kirby is very hard, not compared to other NES games anyway.

The first game might be really hard (I wouldn't know), so Sakurai apparently thought it was too hard for casual gamers.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
Kirby's Dream Land for the Game Boy was designed to be both easy and short, so people could beat it in one sitting (it didn't have a save battery.)

Top Bottom