• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai and Nomura Interview: Cloud, Newcomer Illustration, and More!

In the latest installment of Famitsu Weekly, there were several creators who were interviewed together. Masahiro Sakurai, and Tetsuya Nomura were paired together. They discussed several topics such as working on Cloud in Smash, the New Challenger Illustration and what they thought of each other.

The interview was translated by Source Gaming, and was released in two parts.

The first part deals exclusively with Cloud in Smash Bros.
Sakurai: But I’ve actually only talked to Mr. Nomura just once, that first time. After that, I was generally free to do whatever I wanted. There was general editorial supervision going on, of course, especially on the graphics side–to get Cloud looking as right as possible was tough. It took some time for us to discover how to present Cloud with a Smash touch.

Nomura: Actually, if you look carefully at Cloud’s clothing, you’ll see it’s not the original version, but a version that comes from the PSP game Dissidia: Final Fantasy.
In the second part, Nomura discusses how he agonized over the New Challenger Illustration. He didn't finish it until very late, and wasn't aware that he could've included characters that weren't in Smash Bros.

Nomura: In my head, I had the image of Cloud and Link clashing swords from the very beginning, but I didn’t have anything else. So, I ended up agonizing over who to include while I was drawing. What I really wanted was to have a lot of characters on both sides, to convey the feel of a face-off, but Cloud was the only character on the Final Fantasy side, which was a problem (laughs). Normally I don’t draw multiple Clouds in one drawing, but just this once, I drew another Cloud in a different outfit.

Since Nomura and Sakurai both develop action games, the interviewer asked if they had any hangups. Nomura and Sakurai stated the following:

Nomura: For me, it’s “as long as it feels good, it’s fine.” To tell you the truth, I’m not very good at action games. I think it’s good to make games for people like me, where they can play without getting frustrated and have fun.
Sakurai: Well, if I had to list them, I could bring up 100 or 200 points, so…(laughs). For now, I’ll say “don’t forget about the beginners.” For the record, I’m actually relatively good at video games (laughs).
For the full interview, check out part one and part two.

Translations like these take time, and the Smash community, as a whole, benefits from them. If you enjoy these translations, please consider donating to the Source Gaming Patreon.

PushDustIn would love to see a Nomura x Sakurai cat game. Follow PushDustIn on Twitter for more information, straight from the source.

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

I like how they referenced the fact that there are two versions of Cloud in the drawing. Despite how good Nomura's artwork his, the artwork on Bayonetta's character page is better. Sorry.

I wonder if anyone will be able to challenge Sakurai himself to a smash match. If he can afford to brag about his playing skills besides his godlike developing skills, then he should prove it.

"For the illustration I ended up extending the deadline until the limit."

Heh. Hehehehehehe. Not letting that one slip me by.

I wonder if anyone will be able to challenge Sakurai himself to a smash match. If he can afford to brag about his playing skills besides his godlike developing skills, then he should prove it.
He said that he was "relatively good"... That's not exactly bragging about his skills, he's pretty much just saying "I don't suck".

Whoa, when the subject of game developers born in 1970 comes up, Sakurai was just PREPARED to give half a dozen names both from japan and the west? Some of the most dedicated gamers couldn't name developers by date of birth. He's really well versed in this industry's history.

Oh man...I love that poster but a poster of the Nintendo cast vs the FF7 cast would of been awesome

Samus vs Barret
Peach vs Aerith
Shiek vs Tifa
Duck Hunt vs Red XIII
Captain Falcon vs Cecil
King Dedede vs Cait Sith
Greninja vs Yufie
Lucina vs Vincent Valentine

And Sephiroth and Ganondorf standing back to back with Biggs and Wedge in the background being crushed.

It's an interesting glance into the worlds of both Sakurai and Nomura in relation to Cloud and other games. I quite enjoyed this article!

Sakurai: "Things have just recently calmed down for me, so first I’m going to take a break and rest."

A very good idea. Making a game on Smash 4's level must have been tasking as hell. I fancy Sakurai is quite drained after making the project, as well as the DLC. A long break will do him wonders.

Like Sakurai, I'm a perfectionist whom likes to make top-notch projects, so I know where he's coming from in that matter. Unfortunately, we perfectionists are not Cryptonians. We all need our time to recuperate.

PushDustin already nailed it, but Sakurai wasn't saying that he is great at Smash just that he is "relatively good at games". Don't get all jumpy about it.

Also, I knew it. Nomura was actually a bit late for Cloud's illustration. While not bad, it seems very lacking compared to what he is actually capable of. Some people at Destructoid assumed that it was a rushed job and it they seem to be half-right at least.

Last edited:
I saw him play once. He isn't God-like but he's probably solid by non-competitive standards. I saw him SD off the edge as Ganondorf (his main). There's a clip on YouTube.

Top Bottom