• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

...!'s picks for Brawl (I'm sorry, I can no longer resist) - UPDATED FOR FEB. 2nd!

applejack

Smash Journeyman
I'd like the OoT/TP versions of those characters, But I would like WW Gannondorf over OoT Gannondorf. Game Consistency is not something that Smash considers necessary. Peach is mostly from Mario 2, while Mario is based heavily on 64 and "traditional sidescroller" appearances, while Luigi's fireball seems partially based on the fireball from the first Gameboy game. Even Link, while his look is definately mostly OoT, many of his movements are more based on Zelda 2 on the NES. WW is, so far, my favorite (as I'm sure you realize) Gannondorf, while OoT has my favorite Link.

You are allowed to have differing visions of characters from the same series.
It looks like you've done some research for this and I applaud you for that. I too prefer OoT/TP Zelda and Link and as I'm sure you realize prefer OoT's ganon to WW's.

Besides this little Ganon debate I think you have a very good list. Although I still want more Fire Emblem characters. all in all good job.:bigthumbu

So we agree to disagree.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I personally hope Link, Zelda, and Gannondorf will be tweaked to represent their role in Twilight Princess (assuming Zelda and Gannondorf have an important enough position). I am sure Link will keep most of his moves, but since Twilight Princess is adding new twists to old designs (Gale Boomerang that generates wind and another use for iron boots).

If not, the Wind Waker Gannondorf model would be awesome. He is epic in age, he should have recession and a bit of a beer gut.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The OoT ganon is awesome. You are not alone. He has the armor, the overly large sword, the evil glare, and magic to boot. And I would not be disappointed if this model made the cut. He looks scary. But I just love how age changed the character. Now he is balding, fat, and seems a little more wise. Plus I have to agree with Dotdotdot that the battle with the big G at the end of windwaker was one of the best boss battles of all time. Crazy sword action.

But of course I think Twilight Princess is going to try to top that battle and I have high hopes for Gannondorf, who is a very interesting and iconic villain.

icymatt

Smash Lord
Well, if they're using the current designs of Link, Mario, and Wario, it's likely that Ganondorf would appear in his most recent design, which if he ain't in TP, would be the Windwaker one. However he'd pull moves from all his appearances.

applejack

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry I just can't get the the scene where Zelda rides out on her horse running from ganon, and then ganon comes on his big black horse with the black armor and throws Link to the ground, then sprints after Zelda. I don't know how ganon will be in TP, or even if he's the main villain(I don't trust Midna personally, something about cat-things), but I think OoT's ganon was his best form yet.
Ocarina fans unite! It is three in favor of WW and one OoT.

and interesting picture Lord_Deathborne, I never thought of that level like that before.

applejack

Smash Journeyman
Isn't that ganon the same as the one in OoT? and I wish the fight against ganon at the end of WW had been like that.
and Lord_Deathborne that is still one of the most disturbing things I have ever seen, thanks for letting me see that.

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman
Yes, it's the OoT Ganondorf, only fighting zweihander style. I imagine it would be similar to playing as Nightmare (from SC3). Basically, give him the sword you see in his win pose and go with that.

Smooth_One

Smash Ace
Just to ruffle things up, I'd like to say I'm with Jack on the Ganon thing, but it's pretty close. Mostly it's just OoT Ganon's appearance, but nearly everything else about him I think WW Ganon is better.
WW Ganon is wiser.
He is more fierce.
He is more skilled in combat.

However, I do like OoT's final battle more. There is no AI to worry about (like Zelda in WW, who Jack says shot him lol) and it has three phases: Link vs. Ganny, Link Escaping the Castle, and Link Vs. Ganon.

But, having no storyline and no importance on the character below their movesets, OoT Ganon is the better Ganon to have in a Smash game.

The only thing OoT Ganon has going for him is his appearance, really. He's just so tall and imposing and...awesome. OoT is fat, balding, and uses two swords opposed to one really big one (Sorry. Duel-wielding only works with guns.)
That being said, I don't think any of this really matter because they'll use TP Ganon anyway. They use the most up-to-date version of each character (physically, not move-wise), so I think he'll be the one in Brawl, if he isn't cut in the first place (which I also doubt).

I can't wait for Twilight Princess. ^_^ I'd wish it could hold me off 'til Brawl, but I know I'll just beat it in a week, two maximum. Just like Kingdom Hearts 2. =/
Just two more months...Just two more months...T_T

G'night y'all.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
What would the lawyer do though to fight? I guess he could whack people with his briefcase but I don't know enough about the game to actually visualise specials or attacks.

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
Excellent. I don't fault you for putting Geno so low (although it is, of course, a mistake :p). A great list, and unlike a lot of them we're starting to get, it was a very interesting read as well.

I need to play Phoenix Wright...
Fearless leader!!!!! Shame.

Sensai

Smash Master
Wow...those pictures just weird me out. I never did like McGee, and for this reason.

He's just odd...just like Tim Burton.

Sick, twisted freaks.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Starfox Adventures did not suck it was the best starfox game on the gamecube
That's not saying much.

I do not doubt you had fun while you played it, but for me personally, the combination of Tricky following you around annoying the hell out of you, the uninspired combat, the constant fetch quests, the wrist-destroying minigames, the fact that it was easy (and not in the good way), and the fact that I can't remember two things that happened between the first landing and the final fight with Scales (which was boring and too easy). Oh! And Fox fighting with a staff really doesn't make much sense, and Krystal should have been playable during more than the tutorial level.

Don't get me wrong, there are good parts. I thouraly enjoyed the dinosaur's VAs, what with every different specie coming from a different British isle. It had some fantastic graphics (Some of the best on Gamecube, Fox has never looked better before or since), and Krystal was an inspired inclusion to the Starfox Family.

Basically, it tried to be Zelda (Which could have actually been REALLY cool) and failed, and poisoned fan's minds against Starfox. It succeeded more in resembling the 3D Rare Donkey Kong games, which I am not personally a fan of (which you DO seem to be a fan of, so I suppose that explains that.).

All of that is, of course, rank opinion, but then again, so is your post. So, huh...

bbb

Smash Champion
Now now. We don't need any of that in this thread.

Now quit dividing by Zero and talk about my list sommore.
My appologies, but seriously just google image search for the most part, I must admit I'd never seen that Ballon Fighter pic before but oh well.

On the whole list thing, I think the inclusion of OUENDAN! is enough to receive a ceremonial crown of internets, but I'm disturbed by your lack of Tom Nook, but I have come to termd with the fact that almost no one likes good ol' mister Nook as much as I do. Oh well :ohwell:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Then you should probably play the game before you pass judgement.
Thats why I was asking for input and trying to start conversation in this thread.

I always wondered what punctuation the dot stood for in your name, but judging by your catty response I would guess its a period.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thats why I was asking for input and trying to start conversation in this thread.

I always wondered what punctuation the dot stood for in your name, but judging by your catty response I would guess its a period.
Sorry about that. I sounded much more condecending then I meant to sound.

Basically, Phoenix's moveset would revolve around a hypothetical style of fighting based on the in-game sprites and situations contained in the three (soon to be 4) Gyakuten Saiban (AKA Phoenix Wright) games.

Phoenix Wright is a Law simulator, with a twist. You play as a defense attorney in a legal bizarro land where the suspects are guilty until proven innocent, and the court system requires an answer in three days or the defendant's goose is cooked. Phoenix gets by with a fair amount of luck, pluck, and help from his buddies, including a family of spirit mediums, an incompetent Detective, His no-goodnik "best friend", and his rival, the Prosecutor Miles Edgeworth.

The court sequence (the meat of the game) involves a long scene where Phoenix and the prosecutor must present their evidence and debate possibilities, until such a point where you (the player) must start finding contradictions in witnesses testimony, and presenting evidence to help your case. sounds boring, huh?

Well, thats where the twist comes in. Everything in Phoenix Wright-land is crazy upside down. Sure it seems normal on top, but delve into the games and you'll see the subtle zaniness just under the surface (and sometimes right there on top). During the various debates between Prosecutor and Defense attourney, when one side makes a point, there is a sound like a sword strike, the music swell as Phoenix begins to uncover the truth, and the characters wince and clutch their vital points, as if hit by a devastating blow. Phoenix's ever-present vocabulary of gestures are the weapons he wields:

The point, the smug face, the desk slam, and the evidence presentation. variations on These, plus his many other in-game gestures would probably form the makeup of his A-moves, as well as be perhaps suggest the looks of his B moves.

Speaking of special moves...

Translation: TAKE THAT!

Forgive the japanese, I couldn't find the USA version sprites of these speech bubbles. This bubble is used when presenting a piece of evidence. The move that goes with it could involve throwing or wielding pieces of evidence to battle with. They are quite varied and crazy.

Translation: HOLD IT!

This bubble is used during the witness cross-examination process. When you want to delve deeper into something a witness has said, you use the "Hold it" button. For Smash, I was thinking of a counter-based move. You hit the bubble, Phoenix counters.

Translation: OBJECTION!

Ahhhh. Yes. Objection is used to uncover a contradiction contained in a witness's testimony. I think it would work as a direct-attack move, either as throwing the actual speech bubble foreward, or as an "auto-combo" attack, similar to Marth or Roy. It could be anything actually.

Finally:

Psyche-locks

This is a feature from PW2 and on. You have to "unlock" the truth, by breaking the psyche locks on a person's heart. I was thinking this would make a neato Super attack.

With that, I leave you. That is the basic overview of Phoenix, and my idea of his moveset.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Agreed. Phoenix would make a great character. It's a shame that if Capcom's sending anybody over, it's probably going to be Mega Man. We can always hope, though...

Sensai

Smash Master
I like Megaman...personally, I'd be happy to see either Phoenix OR Megaman get in there, but MM is their main man.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
I seem to have hit the limit of pictures you can have in one post, So I shall continiue my list here. A little time has passed, we've all grown older and wiser, And I think it's time to reveal some more characters who would be cool to be in Brawl, quite a few of which (Well, more like all of which)have no chance to be in, sadly.

This is a list of 3rd party selections that I would like to entitle:

WHAT? WHAT THE **** ARE YOU THINKING!?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Carmen Sandiego

-Carmen Sandiego is the villaness of the popular Edutainment video games bearing her name. She got her start in computer games, and eventually moved over to consoles (including the Gamecube). She also became a TV icon when a game show based on her games turned out to be a huge success, spawning several others, and a saturday morning cartoon. Carmen was a child prodigy, a veritable genius at Math, Geography, and nearly every other thing she set out to learn. When she grew up, she turned to a life of crime, using her genius to steal famous landmarks and treasures from around the world, and hiding them behind traps gaurded by her multitudes of henchmen. Her Nemeses are the fine agents of A.C.M.E, which the player is ostenibly a member of. Cannonically speaking, I don't know if she has ever actually been caught (sure, you can catch her in the games, but thats just a good ending. It seems more satisfying if she gets away after you win back the relic she stole.).
Symbol: Her Pimp hat
Would I bet money on her: No
Why?: Let me count the ways! 1. She's an emerican game character, 2. She's only really had one game on the Gamecube (a not very good one at that), 3. She's more famous for her TV shows.
Stage: One of the many lairs seen in her many games.

Dan Hibiki

-Dan Hibiki is a practitioner and founder of the "Saikyo" style of Martial Arts. This style, while stylish, is almost completely useless in a real battle. Despite this, Dan took his school around, teaching it through correspondence courses, and eventually taking on a student (and promptly losing her). His real mission in life is to take on Sagat, who killed his father. Eventually, Sagat and Dan fight, with Sagat letting Dan win just so he would get off of his back. Dan is a perrenial joke character belonging to Capcom, first appearing in the Street Fighter Alpha series, and then appearing in most, if not all of the games in the Capcom 'Vs.' series.
Symbol: Street Fighter Alpha symbol
Would I bet money on him?: No
Why?: See the "why" for Phoenix Wright.
Stage and/or BGM: Basically, the stage that would be considered "his" in Street Fighter.

Ace Harding

-Ace Harding is the hero of the NES text-and-graphical adventure, Deja Vu, by Kemco. His story involves him trying to earn back his lost memory, while fighting off the effects of a mysterious poison that is slowly killing him. In the end, he has to unravel a murder plot that he has been framed for. I don't really know how he would work, but he sure would give me a fanboy-gasm.
Symbol: A bullet? A gun?
Would I bet money on him?: No
Why?: Sakurai said No guns. Also, he's a character from a minor forgotten NES game, which started of on the Macintosh.
Stage and/or BGM: The city streets would be awesome! as would the *****in' soundtrack, played by an actual Jazz band.

Amaterasu

-ANOTHER Capcom character? What can I say? Capcom is one of the most consistently awesome companies you can name. Anyway, Amaterasu is the goddess of the sun, who has come to Earth in the form of Shiranui, a white wolf, and has brought with her the powers of the Celestial Brush in the game Okami. Her mission is to defeat the monster Orochi and restore peace to Nippon. Along the way, we find out that Orochi is not the only creature menacing Nippon, and eventually, with the help of the diminutive Issun, she must go up against the king of demons, Yami. This character would probably have the most potential of any character on this list, seeing that she fights using her celestial brush powers, plus three different weapons (Celestial Mirror, Jewels, and Sword) to draw from.
Symbol: A Rising Sun.
Bet money?: Nope
Why?: See Phoenix and Dan. Also, both she and Shiranui are characters from actual Japanese Mythology, as well as Issun, and basically everyone else in the game Okami. Oh, also, never been on a Nintendo Console. PS2 only. No chance. (but I would expect a Wii sequel, this game is just begging for it)
Stage/BGM: I think Shinshu field would make a good stage, through fighting in Yamato Ark would be neat as well.

-----------------------------

Just a little extra conversation fodder. Have fun.

bbb

Smash Champion
For Dan Hibiki, you sir WIN!!!

Edit: His stage should be the swing set he fought at in SFAlpa III.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I have to say you come up with some of the coolest ideas. Carmen Sandiego is such a ridicously hot and interesting character. Seeing her fight Mario will probably never happen. I mean how could she teach geography while performing Smash attacks. But I have to say, she would make of the best third party characters.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
UPDATE BUMP!!!

New stuff in the Original Post. Movesets for a few of the characters, as well as notes and asides.

Also. One new character for your consideration. Technically falls under Nintendo Second Party:

----------------------

ALEXANDRA ROIVAS

-From the game "Eternal Darkness." Alex is the latest in the line of owners of a mysterious book, called the Tome of Eternal Darkness, which tells the stories of the various owners of the book over the years, as well as their untimely demises. Alex must foil a plot set in motion by the three Elder Gods, and save the world from the Darkness. She uses Melee weapons and some guns (though mostly melee weapons, those are the more useful items. Really, Snake uses guns more) and uses a system of Magick (yes, with a 'k') to fight her battles, and at the end of the game, must use an enchanted Gladius to defeat the avatar of the elder gods, Pius Agustus.
Symbol: The Tome
Status: Plucky heroine/Crazy mo-fo (depending on her sanity level)
Would I bet money on her?: No, again.
Why: A girl from a moderately popular Survival-horror game? Only Second-party on a technicality? American made character? Shall I go on?
Stage: Either the mansion you spend 95 percent of the game in, or the Final stage you fight Pius in. Final stage would be best.

AND NOW, A MOVESET:

I just played through Eternal Darkness again. I love that game.

Heres a moveset. Unfortunately, She doesn't use actual "Elemental" spells in her game. What she does is use runes to construct spells. There are only three spells in her in-game arsenal that are actually "Attack" spells (And one of those is technically a "Defense" spell). Still, that is more than enough to construct a moveset.

Alexandra Roivas
--------------------

Note on spells: In the game she could have her spells set on three different kinds of "circles of power." These circles consisted of three points (Weakest) Five Points (Medium) and seven points (Strongest). My idea is to make each move a charge attack. The spell can begin, and if you let go of the button, it will let off the weak version. If you let it off as the fifth rune appears, you get the Medium version, and so on. It takes about half of Samus's Charge shot to get the Mid level spell, and a full samus charge to get the seventh. The exception is the "Change alignment" move. If Alex is hit before he is done charging, the spell cannot be cast. Alex cannot hold the charge of a move by Rolling out of it.
--------------------

A moves. I such at A-moves, so if someone would like to do a set for me, that would be much appreciated. Remember, she uses a Gladius (Ancient Roman sword). Thats about it, other than that, go crazy, and take the game to heart (It has a funky "Finishing move" system, similar to Onimusha).

---------------------

B moves:

----

Down B: Change Alignment.
When Alex uses this move, she randomly changes to one of four alignments, Ch'tturga(Red), Xellototh (Green), Ulyouth (Blue), and Mantorok (Purple). These changes offer no stat enhancements except in the "Enchant Weapon" spell, and afford different Super moves and spell effects in some moves. Mantorok is very rare, as it is a bit stronger than the others. it takes about as long as the switch between Zelda and Sheik to use.

----

Up B: Damage Field.
Sets up a barrier around Alex that will protect her from harm. The barrier only lasts about 5 seconds. Only one barrier can be out at a time. Alex can walk through the damage field, but enemies cannot without harming themselves. the 5 and 7 point spells have "Floors" that Alex or a trapped enemy could stand on, thus making this a viable recovery move (IF a little sucky).

Three-Point version: A small barrier will appear around Alex. It will do no damage, but will have a very small amount of knockback, like Falco's blaster Knockback. Alignment changes the color and nothing else. Barrier only protects Alex on two sides. The Barrier can be blown away by a strong attack (Though an attack cannot hit the shield and hit Alex in the same swing, though it can hit alex's teammate, or another one of the attacker's enemies)

Five-point Version: A larger barrier appears. It does small damage (1 or two per hit) but has very small knockback. The Barrier is much stronger, and can stand more large attacks before it breaks. Alignment changes the color. The move has a "Cieling" and as thus, opponents can stand on it, though it will do them more harm then good.

Seven point version: This barrier is much large than the Five-point one. it does slightly more damage, and is several character-widths in width, so it would be possible to actually "trap" an opponent inside (Which is technically possible for the 3 and 5 point versions too, though more difficult). Has a cieling. Mantorok Rune causes the barrier to cause a "Poison" state, similar to Lips' stick.

----

Foreward B: Magick attack
A direct attack from alex. It materializes as a stream of electrical energy emanating from Alex's Hand, travelling across the ground (At the rate a Pikachu thundershock putters along), and striking an enemy. The enemy must, of course, be touching the ground. Also, it doesn't just stocp there. If there are enemies standing behind the first enemy, it will pass through the first enemy (While striking them) and go after the second one. If no enemies are standing on the ground, the spell will fizzle. the move never has more knockback than Ness's PK thunder.

3-point: Somewhat mid-range attack. Think Mario Fireball. something that it is safe to spam.
5-point: Stronger. Mid-charge samus Charge-shot strong.
7-pont: A little stronger than a fully charged Charge shot from Samus. Mantorok alignment will poison them for a little while.

----

Neutral B: Enchant weapon
Enchants Alex's Gladius with her alignment's power. Always lasts about the time it takes a hammer or star to run out. Note that this spell can only be charged to three, but must be charged rune-by-rune, for a Falcon-punch alotment of time.

Chtturga: Strength boost. Attacks do more damage.
Xellototh: Constitution boost. Makes Alex heavier, so enemies can't knock her away as easily. Does not effect her jumping like a Metal box would.
Ulyouth: Magic boost. Makes Alex's B-moves stronger.
Mantorok: No stat boost. Attacks cause poison status.

----

Taunt: She drops her weapon, falls to the floor, and says, "This CAN'T be happening!"

----

Super: Summon Ancient
Summons an Ancient Elder God to reight down their own brand of butt-kicking on the field.

Ch'tturga: A giant Lobster-monster. Rains damaging red lightening bolts on the field. Alex's pecentage is healed slightly.
Xellototh: A large creature with four arms. sort of like a green alien face-hugger with a huge eye in the middle. Her lightening homes in on the opponents heads, does does not do as much damage. It does have a higher knockback.
Ulyouth: A giant Jellyfish creature. He fires one lightening bold, and it travels from one end of the stage to the other, pushing and damaging the opponents.
Mantorock: A giant mass of purple goo with a mouth. He appears at the bottom of the screen and fires poisonous, damaging gas clouds.
There you go.

Stay Frosty!

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Don't all rights to Eternal Darkness belong Nintendo, much like all rights to the Geist and Golden Sun series are Nintendo's as well. Hey, more power to Alexia, altough I must disagree with you about her inlusion. She's cool and all, but if one character from Eternal Darkness had to make it in, I would choose.......

PIOUS FOR BRAWL!

Weird thing is that when I first played Eternal Darkness, I didn't care for it that much. About a year or two later, I picked it up and found myself hooked on it :p

Stay Frosty!
Frosty?

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Don't all rights to Eternal Darkness belong Nintendo, much like all rights to the Geist and Golden Sun series are Nintendo's as well. Hey, more power to Alexia, altough I must disagree with you about her inlusion. She's cool and all, but if one character from Eternal Darkness had to make it in, I would choose.......
PIOUS FOR BRAWL!
Well, We all deserve our own opinions, and yes, Nintendo DOES own the rights to ED, but, as the game is by Silicon Knights, I figured that she was still Second Party, like Ness and Kirby.

But one thing to remember. Mario and Link had to get in before they could include Bowser and Ganondorf. I think the generally accepted practice is to include heroes before villans and sidekicks.

Though Pious IS cool. I'd love to see them both, but I suppor Alex more. I've got a soft spot for the wimminfolk.

Weird thing is that when I first played Eternal Darkness, I didn't care for it that much. About a year or two later, I picked it up and found myself hooked on it :p
I suppose it's just one of those games. It subscribes to Resident Evil tank-syndrome (which I love and other people can't stand) and has some pretty comically bad voice acting in some places (I love the Brother Luther chapter, both for the intreague, and for the way Luther pronounces "Irony."), and it's a game that makes you think is some places, has somewhat inferior graphics when compared to some other games of it's time, and
does not end happily.
It's such a cool game, but it's certainly not everyone's cuppa tea.

Yes, Frosty. As in frozen condensation. What's your point?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Well, We all deserve our own opinions, and yes, Nintendo DOES own the rights to ED, but, as the game is by Silicon Knights, I figured that she was still Second Party, like Ness and Kirby.

But one thing to remember. Mario and Link had to get in before they could include Bowser and Ganondorf. I think the generally accepted practice is to include heroes before villans and sidekicks.
I guess you're right. Wheter it is Alexia, Pious, hell, even Micheal Edwards, I would love an ED character in Brawl, or anyother type of rep

I suppose it's just one of those games. It subscribes to Resident Evil tank-syndrome (which I love and other people can't stand) and has some pretty comically bad voice acting in some places (I love the Brother Luther chapter, both for the intreague, and for the way Luther pronounces "Irony."), and it's a game that makes you think is some places, has somewhat inferior graphics when compared to some other games of it's time, and
does not end happily.
It's such a cool game, but it's certainly not everyone's cuppa tea.
I love RE, but you are right, I went on IMDB's Silent hill message board and there is CRAZY amount of RE hate there

Yes, Frosty. As in frozen condensation. What's your point?
I just never heard it used in that way before. The most I use the word frosty is at Wendy's with the words "Hi, I'd like a chocolate..." before it.

Top Bottom