• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ryu's smash attacks...

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
Okay I have a serious question about his smash attacks in question and what you guys use them for...

Do you save them so you can use them as a kill move? or as a damage racker? and which smashes do you use for this purpose?

I see that people tend to use his dsmash as a combo ender after nair and other small situations like punishing.

I see his Up smash used instead of shoryu, so his shoryu can be used as a kill move for later.

His Fsmash I rarely have a use for at times unless it's just to throw it out there or to pivot smash attack while running.

Seriously why use fsmash as a punish move? You're better off practicing his run up True Shoryuken instead.

Hell... even when i start landing tilts and I want damage, I'll use the true shoryu instead of up smash just for extra percent and to guarantee a combo.

I'm really starting to realize how useless his smashes are. I don't find a purpose in them really... You want damage out of shield? up tilt out of shield is faster then up smash out of shield and if you want to kill somebody out of shield, UP B out of shield kills faster then up smash out of shield.

"Rants more" but yeah you get my drift. When, Where, and Why use his smash attacks? and don't say to save his kill moves because he can refresh his kill moves with up tilts, dtilts and grabs pummels and even Fairs. "Never and I repeat never rely on his fair to kill"

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Fsmash - use it when you read your opponents rolls, can be comboed into from a Sourspot Nair at certain percents.
DSmash - An excellent 5 Frame punish and a great combo ender from SourSpot Nair. Not a kill move so theres no point in using this at 110%+ Imo since you're giving them more rage
Usmash - Great combo ender for Weak Utilts if you want Damage more than KB, enemy jump ins, decent KB on sheild, 10 Frames iirc.

Usmash is a good kill move, especially for stages with for low ceilings, and if you just can't get the SRK read or if the opponent is being too safe to avoid being hit by Utilt. Damage is good and because of how fast it comes out a decent OoS punish if done right.

Dsmash being 5 Frames and having a pretty good range is amazing for punishing after being hit in shield, because you can drop shield without shield drop frames. Combos well from Nair and that's pretty much it. Won't KO till much later so it's only good for damage and punishes.

FSmash a great Kill move especially near the ledge, where the opponent has limited options to avoid it. Damage is decent but due to it being 15 frames, which isn't terrible for the distance it covers, means you really need to plan when to use this as it's very unsafe on shield. A good way to land it is, as you said, Pivot Fsmash but running away and then immediately doing Fsmah if they dash after you, during the first few frames of dash they can't shield or anything to defend themselves.

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
Fsmash - use it when you read your opponents rolls, can be comboed into from a Sourspot Nair at certain percents.
DSmash - An excellent 5 Frame punish and a great combo ender from SourSpot Nair. Not a kill move so theres no point in using this at 110%+ Imo since you're giving them more rage
Usmash - Great combo ender for Weak Utilts if you want Damage more than KB, enemy jump ins, decent KB on sheild, 10 Frames iirc.

Usmash is a good kill move, especially for stages with for low ceilings, and if you just can't get the SRK read or if the opponent is being too safe to avoid being hit by Utilt. Damage is good and because of how fast it comes out a decent OoS punish if done right.

Dsmash being 5 Frames and having a pretty good range is amazing for punishing after being hit in shield, because you can drop shield without shield drop frames. Combos well from Nair and that's pretty much it. Won't KO till much later so it's only good for damage and punishes.

FSmash a great Kill move especially near the ledge, where the opponent has limited options to avoid it. Damage is decent but due to it being 15 frames, which isn't terrible for the distance it covers, means you really need to plan when to use this as it's very unsafe on shield. A good way to land it is, as you said, Pivot Fsmash but running away and then immediately doing Fsmah if they dash after you, during the first few frames of dash they can't shield or anything to defend themselves.

If I want to read a roll I'd rather walk up tilt punish which is more rewarding and keeps them close.

I just started realizing up tilts into upsmash is a true combo at certain percents.

You'll have an easier time landing shoryu or up tilt then up smash. "My opinion" UNLESS they are above and you're in the running animation and you either have dash attack, grab, shoryu or up smash... From those 3 options which would you believe is better? True Shoryu or Up Smash... Seems that's a call up to you, but your not sweet spotting neither of those.

Only time i see myself using fsmash is when i'm in the run animation and i'm turning into pivot fsmash.

Dsmash I feel is his most useful smash attack. Good Range, Good damage, And quick to punish a lot of moves out there...

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
dsmash is also good at edge guarding, destroys little mac, probably can hit rosa, hits people hanging on the ledge. best smash move tho i think.

fsmash is a big commitment but it has the potential of killing sooner than srk off a jab reset, and stages like duck hunt where the stage is closer to the blast zone on teh sides, and i believe someone said it combos out of sourspot nair at some point. it can also punish air dodges into the ground.. i dunno. it can kill earlier than SRK, it's just situational. and you got DDD who dies way later off the top than the side, fox would die much earlier to fsmash than shoryuken, stuff like that.

upsmash must be good for something besides just being the most dmg if charged fully. maybe anti air? one nice thing is the jump cancel upsmash slides way further out of your initial dash frames than the cstick or manual A+up version (w/o tap). i like sour spot fair into upsmash, it's like 27 dmg and it true combos pretty much everyone.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
If I want to read a roll I'd rather walk up tilt punish which is more rewarding and keeps them close.

I just started realizing up tilts into upsmash is a true combo at certain percents.

You'll have an easier time landing shoryu or up tilt then up smash. "My opinion" UNLESS they are above and you're in the running animation and you either have dash attack, grab, shoryu or up smash... From those 3 options which would you believe is better? True Shoryu or Up Smash... Seems that's a call up to you, but your not sweet spotting neither of those.

Only time i see myself using fsmash is when i'm in the run animation and i'm turning into pivot fsmash.

Dsmash I feel is his most useful smash attack. Good Range, Good damage, And quick to punish a lot of moves out there...
Ryu's walk speed isn't the greatest and you cannot do it out of a run. Sure you might catch samus's roll but thats really about it. on top of that you can get them off ledge and set up a ledge guard. So on top of knowing where they will roll you will need to watch our for a get up attack, which a Spaced Fsmash will beat. if you want to do it then fine it's just not optimal.

For Usmash you didn't post in OP that it could combo and you only mentioned that it was used instead of SRK to keep it fresh, Also it's just as easy to land the Usmash if you know the percents on which it works not hard at all to be honest. not to mention you whiff a SRK, true or not, you're getting punished unless you're using light T.srk to bait, based on the way your scenarios are presented isn't the case, Usmash is his safer Smashes, nice shield Kb not too long of a recovery. Also sweetspotting a Usmash isn't that hard, an even if you just connect they are stuck in the air which Ryu can use to juggle them getting more percent.

Like I said before Fsmash moves Ryu forward. This creates a deadzone but as long as you know what you're doing the range is either as good or better then C.Falcons, faster too.

And yes I am aware Dsmash is a good punish that is why I told you that when I made my post.

Basically it comes down to if you dont see a purpose fine, the ones that do see a purpose will keep using it and updating each other for what could work.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
D-smash in footsies and as a punish. U-smash might be a good counter poke vs chars with very good literal air pokes like Diddy's fair. F-smash...uhhhh

**** it

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
D-smash in footsies and as a punish. U-smash might be a good counter poke vs chars with very good literal air pokes like Diddy's fair. F-smash...uhhhh

**** it

I wish Ryu could use specials out of his dsmash like his SF 2 days where you could low forward trip into Hadouken.

DD_

Smash Journeyman
Getting that Fsmash off on a roll read to win the match is so satisfying though. Everyone expects the shoryu so give them the Donkey kick instead :D

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
The thing I like about Usmash is how Ryu crouches before the strike. This makes it sort of auto-spaced against aerial foes and AA'ing. It's a Kill Move against some characters, but not against others. At %'s where Shory won't sweetspot after U1, Usmash is a better choise.

Fsmash is a good smash. Not great, but definitely good. Decent start-up, above decent KB, good range, and pretty low cooldown meaning you'll rarely get hard-punished.
It's one of you best Kill Moves at mid/high %'s after you've landed a FA by the ledge. (semi-charged)

I don't find myself using Dsmash that much. Sometimes as a quick desperation-move to rack some good damage.
In 2on2 however, this move is VERY good. Its low KB combined with great damage makes it a deadly Team Combo Tool.
And its low start-up is only icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Top Bottom