• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ryu nair safe on shield?

TZK

Smash Rookie
Ryu nair does 8 damage (hard nair) and using the new shield stun formula it comes to +6.57 (~7) advantage. His landing lag on the move is about 6 frames, so he still stays slightly positive or neutral. If Ryu goes for the fastest option which light jab or weak dtilt (2 frames) we should be able to beat any OoS options from the opponents.

However while playing online and stuff I do get shield grabbed at times. I also don't see lot of Ryu's landing with nairs onto opponents shield. So am I wrong with any of this?

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
it's too inconsistent and you might be grabbed. not a fan of it in tournaments. Just space with bairs... atleast that's hella safe on shield.. because of shield push back.

Last edited:

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Nair does 6 frames of shield stun (floor(6.57)) so it is neutral on OoS. However, this is only if you land frame perfect. If you don't land right after hitting the opponents shield, it is negative on shield.

TZK

Smash Rookie
Nair does 6 frames of shield stun (floor(6.57)) so it is neutral on OoS. However, this is only if you land frame perfect. If you don't land right after hitting the opponents shield, it is negative on shield.
Completely agree. But grab comes out frame 5 for most chars, so if we basically hit the shield with nair before landing rather than falling with it, we should have less than -5 frames, which means Ryu dtilt will beat their grab. So basically approaching with nair on shield is a risky option but can work out (on paper at least).

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
It can work. But you gotta be hella close and condition your opponent to shield. If they notice you like to go for this, its not hard for them to slap you out of the air.

But it does work, especially vs tether grabbers.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
It also matters how close you are to the ground/how late you are, when you Nair their shield.
The later, the better, most often.

Last edited:

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
I know at least one player who jumps at the height where Ryu can get one neutral air to cover his approach, then another right on landing. It's not completely safe against 6 frame grabs, but it can be pretty difficult to deal with.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
I know at least one player who jumps at the height where Ryu can get one neutral air to cover his approach, then another right on landing. It's not completely safe against 6 frame grabs, but it can be pretty difficult to deal with.
That's a SH. If they shield the second nair, then it can be hard to punish.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
You're sure it's just a short hop? Not anything slightly more, it just plain works out of a short hop?

Top Bottom