• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Ryu Combo Thread

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Here are a few. Tested on Mario, most work at any percent. L = Light, M = medium. ? = needs testing.

L.dtilt > L.dtilt > sideB
L.dtilt > L.dtilt > upB
(?) L.dtilt > L.dtilt > grab
Nair (trip) > grab
L.uptilt > L.uptilt > upB
L.uptilt > usmash
L.jab > Tatsumaki
L.jab > Shoruken
from 0% - 40%: (jump in) nair > L.dtilt/M.dilt
from 0% - 76%: M.utilt > Shoryuken
from 0% - 33%: M.dtilt > Shoryuken
from 0% - 33%: M.dtilt > Hadoken
from 0% - 70%: dthrow > upB
I believe that if you dash grab it should always work.
Nice finds btw.

D

Deleted member

Falling Uair to footstool is guaranteed on tall characters like :4link:/:4dk: at around 30%. You can probably follow up with FF Nair to jab lock, and then choose between strong Ftilt (the shield breaker), Nair, and Hadouken to further jab lock. Once the 3 hits are over follow up with a Dsmash/Fsmash on their getup from that.

EDIT: Haven't gotten the Nair after the footstool yet, but it should work if you can buffer it. I'm not good enough to string it all together, and the focus attack is too slow.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Falling Uair to footstool is guaranteed on tall characters like :4link:/:4dk: at around 30%. You can probably follow up with FF Nair to jab lock, and then choose between strong Ftilt (the shield breaker), Nair, and Hadouken to further jab lock. Once the 3 hits are over follow up with Focus Attack, and then a Dsmash/Fsmash on their knockdown from that.
nicer nice to poor link :'(

I believe that if you dash grab it should always work.
Nice finds btw.
Wouldn't there be better options at most percents though? I guess it depends on the percent or not. at low percent it might be a good option since you still have follow ups

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Shorthop nair to jab combo is a pretty good one I've found.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Strong D-Tilt -> Shoryuken at very close range is great. does 20% and kills.
pretty much everything else I have has already been said.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
D-throw to Up-smash does a solid 22% and I'm 90% sure it's inescapable or close to it from my testing.
actually we were both wrong.
the opponent can DI away you after the down throw. I just tested with another person.
On the other hand if they have no DI or DI inward the upsmash will connect. After 30% the upsmash will not hit regardless of DI.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
This is a mega complicated character with piles and piles of narrow range true combos off of a big number of starters, sourspots and gods.... I think you may want to consider something like the Samus combo thread, it's the only way we kept track of it all and the meta has considerably advanced as a result of it. I suggest a common combo target, I used R.O.B because he has a huge combo window.

80 -140% D-air -> A roundhouse 22% [Kill combo - high end of range] target was R.O.B.

Last edited:

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Mario was the combo target for all of the combos in the OP, so they all were able to work on him.

Dair -> Jab H works on him too, lol

Will check the Samus topic later when I have time~

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
At 25% you can get shorthop Uair into Shoryu, on Marth anyway. No idea who else it would work on, but it does about 23% so it's not a bad option.

uns4fe

Smash Rookie
NNID
M4DSCRUB
At high/mid percents I was able to get U1 -> U1 --> SH dair sweetspot (amazing near edge omg)

Last edited:

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
I haven't personally used it yet against a person, since cpu's input read and always dodge, but you could totally play mind games by cancelling the Focus Attack before the punch in the air. You can buffer where you're moving, either forwards or backwards, you can b-reverse, and you can condition them to think that you're attacking but you buffer instead. It's a great aerial movement shake up and I think it could be really useful.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
At high/mid percents I was able to get U1 -> U1 --> SH dair sweetspot
Yeah U1's gonna be a great combo tool. I think it's frame 1, actually.

I haven't personally used it yet against a person, since cpu's input read and always dodge, but you could totally play mind games by cancelling the Focus Attack before the punch in the air. You can buffer where you're moving, either forwards or backwards, you can b-reverse, and you can condition them to think that you're attacking but you buffer instead. It's a great aerial movement shake up and I think it could be really useful.
Yeah you can just kind of airdash with midair Focus, it's great. Might help his poor recovery.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Down throw into forward air does not seem to be consistent with every character. Characters with a fast neutral A can either over prioritize your fair or they might end up both hitting, which I do not know the term for.

you can land another nair after an approaching nair to add to the combo.
short hop fair can also lead into both F1 and F2.

tdksparda

Smash Rookie
is it just me or can you not hit D1 into D2, only D1 D1 D2? Only tested on two characters, could not get D1 D2 or D1 D1 D2 to work on greninja.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
is it just me or can you not hit D1 into D2, only D1 D1 D2? Only tested on two characters, could not get D1 D2 or D1 D1 D2 to work on greninja.
nope I just tested it. It works fine on Greninja and yes you can D1 into D2

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
At high/mid percents I was able to get U1 -> U1 --> SH dair sweetspot (amazing near edge omg)
omg I can't believe this works. Incredible first post, and thanks for finding this!

It seems to work more at higher percents.

tdksparda

Smash Rookie
nope I just tested it. It works fine on Greninja and yes you can D1 into D2
i've mained ryu for years in sf4 and have played smash 4 for quite a while now maining cap falc, cant believe im finding it so difficult, unless im missing something its just a linking of down A down A(hold), right? Im doing it as fast as possible, it just doesnt combo

Last edited:

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
i've mained ryu for years in sf4 and have played smash 4 for quite a while now maining cap falc, cant believe im finding it so difficult, unless im missing something its just a linking of down A down A(hold), right? Im doing it as fast as possible, it just doesnt combo
Correct
It may be some kind of controller failure, but I really doubt it.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
another misc info
while you are normally getting up from the ledge it seems you can input DP and it can get some nice KO's. Can someone test this just in case i'm wrong.

Last edited:

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
I think OP should list damage percents for combos and at what percentage they kill from various points on the stage

Not_Indigo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Same as username
Sourspot Nair can combo into a ton of stuff when approaching. It can directly combo into any special (didn't test focus attack, but I'd assume it wouldn't combo), or you can do U1, D1, or jab directly after landing and continue with any of those moves' combos. On Bowser, you can even do Nair -> U1 -> U1 -> U1 -> U1 -> U1 -> DP, which does 32 damage. Haven't tested the DI on it, but I'd assume that, like with other similar combos (namely Mario), you can DI out to escape some of the up tilts.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
I think OP should list damage percents for combos and at what percentage they kill from various points on the stage
Will get on that tomorrow. Wanted to get the combos themselves out out the way first before delving deeper into their applications.

That and I am not sure why I am still up with a fever :/

MrMajora

Smash Rookie
Weak hit of Nair to Light Dtilt to Tatsumaki Senpukyaku is a true combo on Mario from like 50%->115% in the lab at least. I assume w/ Rage the %s will be much lower. Ryu's D-tilt is just fantastic.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Here's some cool ones i use!

SHFF Weakhit Nair > L Utilt x2 > H Utilt > Shoryuken (low- mid percents)
SHFF Weakhit Nair > L Dtilt x2 > L Utilt x2 > Shoryuken /Grab /H Utilt (low percents)
FH Fair > FF First hit Uair (before landing) > L Dtilt x2 > H Dtilt > Fireball/Hadoken (kinda low percents)
FH Fair > Weakhit Nair (before landing) > L Utilt x2 > Grab > Dthrow > Bair (Not sure how reliable Dthrow to Bair is though)

(Keep in mind you gotta cancel the attack animations with the next move as soon as possible)

In combos involving L Dtilt and L Utilt you can usually be creative and followup a bit as you wish since there are many possibilities but these are just some ideas.

Last edited:

Scykoh

Smash Cadet
Sorry if this one has already been posted -- wasn't able to spot it.

FA2DC -> FA1DC -> dash -> fair -> double jump -> uair. (starting from 0%, deals 46%)

I should mention getting 2 hits out of the uair is very difficult, typically I find myself just getting 1 hit, which leads to 41% rather than 46%.

Tested on Shiek and C. Falcon and it's a true combo, unsure how DI would effect it.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Mario as target:
5-40% FJ -> Rising F-air sweet -> J -> F-air 28-30%
0-55% D-air -> d-smash 28%
65-165% D-air -> u-smash 25-29% [Kills readily at high %]

Just fiddling around some more yeah it looks very much like the math from the Samus combo thread works for Ryu, built similarly. If I knew then what I knew know I would have used DDD as target because you're inevitably going to find some combos that only work on the heaviest fast-fallers.
It's trivial for instance to do FJ-> Rising F-air sweet -> J -> F-air -> DP on DDD for 38% true combo.

Last edited:

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
The best FA combos I've found so far:
0ish%: "lv.3 FA xx dash, lv.3 FA xx Dash, Hold Utilt xx Manual Shoryuken" - 54%
0ish%: "lv.3 FA xx dash, lv.3 FA xx Dash, Manual Shoryuken" - 52% (Probably more consistent than the combo above)
0ish%: "lv.3 FA xx dash, lv.3 FA xx Dash, (Dash) grab, pummle, Bthrow or Dthrow to SRK) 48%-57% (pretty sure nothing's guaranteed here, but it's an option)
30ish%: "lv.3 FA xx dash, lv.3 FA xx Dash, jump forward manual DP) 50%
50+%: "lv.3 FA xx dash, lv.2 FA xx Dash, Dair" -42%, spikes if done near an edge.
50ish%: "lv.3 FA xx dash, lv.2 FA xx Dash, instant air manual DP) 43% (Can kill Jigglypuff at 45%)

You can also do lv.2 FA into lv.2 FA for the last two combos mentioned. Sourspot Fair is probably more reliable into dair than lv.2 FA though.

Last edited:

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
Rush Hour Smash recently uploaded a video of combos and setups.

Top Bottom