• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ryu always faces the opponent in 1v1 now? That's not good...

SS2000

Smash Apprentice
Did any other Ryu players feel like this new "mechanic" with Ryu could really mess up their play style if it doesn't have a means of being turned off? I find myself turning away during one on one fights quite often for many things from back air setups to "accidentally" jabbing the wrong way right on front of another just to reverse-input-shoryuken them right as they try to take advantage of me being open from behind. The second I saw that backwards walk I couldn't help but think, "please let there be a way to turn that off".

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Yeah, it's a neat little touch but losing RAR bair hurts.

Hoping they at least adjust it.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
This probably means ryu can cross up shields better from the airand continue to shield pressure even when landing which is really good.

But losing that that bair ra r suxs,at least in smash four ry u point of view

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
I knew I wasn't the only one who felt this may be a problem.

But I have a feeling that someone on the team has taken note and plans to do something about it.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Losing RAR Bair is bad but he gains a lot more from being able to use tilts while backwalking and having significantly better ground speed. He can basically shimmy in this game, he'll actually play like Ryu does in Street Fighter.

Last edited:

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
Gonna need a lot of time in the lab, but anything unorthodox is appealing to me. I'm pretty excited to try it out.

D

Deleted member

Maybe his attacks while facing forward in that stance will be buffed. That stance sounds like more of a burden than anything. I don't see why they'd do it after he was well done in Smash 4.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Losing RAR Bair is bad but he gains a lot more from being able to use tilts while backwalking and having significantly better ground speed. He can basically shimmy in this game, he'll actually play like Ryu does in Street Fighter.
Which is not good because Smash isn't and shouldn't be Street Fighter. Why would I want to play with traditional fighting game mechanics in a series specifically designed to be more dynamic and more accessible?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Which is not good because Smash isn't and shouldn't be Street Fighter. Why would I want to play with traditional fighting game mechanics in a series specifically designed to be more dynamic and more accessible?
I mean, he's designed with command specials in mind and this is a natural direction to take. If he's actually gonna play the whiff punish game 1v1 with this and the buffed up walkspeed I don't see how this is...bad exactly?

Last edited:

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering about this too. I appreciate the detail, but I don't think it's a good idea in Smash. It basically means you can never back-air your opponent, and you're likely to either:

1. Get crossed up incredibly easily because the game doesn't auto-adjust you in time to the opponent.
2. Make cross-ups on Ryu essentially impossible because the game auto-adjusts immediately.

It's nice to add the detail, but he was already adapted pretty much perfectly in Wii U as a Smash character to work within the Smash gameplay.

What we really need is to be able to jump out of tatsu.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Apparently he does autocorrect on crossup almost immediately like in SF from what I heard.

That's actually silly LOL I love it.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Apparently he does autocorrect on crossup almost immediately like in SF from what I heard.

yeah all it takes is landing one medium kick space d correctly preferably of an opponent that is lying face down trying to wake up.if blocked incorrectly the opponent is eating a combo or another set up

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman

If it's like SF then it's gonna be really annoying. One of the best things about Smash is that you can aim your attacks anywhere you want, meaning you can predict a crossup and place a smash attack behind yourself or turn around and do whatever as they land. If you can't even smash attack in the other direction it's gonna basically make Ryu super exploitable.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
If it's like SF then it's gonna be really annoying. One of the best things about Smash is that you can aim your attacks anywhere you want, meaning you can predict a crossup and place a smash attack behind yourself or turn around and do whatever as they land. If you can't even smash attack in the other direction it's gonna basically make Ryu super exploitable.
Huh? I'm missing what you're saying. If Ryu gets crossed up or crosses up himself he immediately turns around, so I don't see the issue?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
This could potentially make him one of the most powerful characters in the game.

And I imagine that since TAC still exist, then you can RAR Bair. Ryu would just instantly turn around when he lands.

Last edited:

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Huh? I'm missing what you're saying. If Ryu gets crossed up or crosses up himself he immediately turns around, so I don't see the issue?
Have you played SF before? In Street fighter you can be crossed up and hit from behind, it's a fundamental offensive tactic you have to watch out for. If it is indeed like Street Fighter as you said, then this is a character weakness that can be exploited like in Street Fighter.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Except not really. This could potentially give him much easier punishes after he blocks something.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
He still has RAR Bair apparently.
Have you played SF before? In Street fighter you can be crossed up and hit from behind, it's a fundamental offensive tactic you have to watch out for. If it is indeed like Street Fighter as you said, then this is a character weakness that can be exploited like in Street Fighter.
I play SF yeah, but the threat of crossups in those games was because of how blocking works, which was directional instead of a button. In SF, if you get crossed up, your character immediately turns around, and that's what happens here, just without actually worrying about blocking the right way or anything. This makes him borderline busted if anything.

Last edited:

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
I play SF yeah, but the threat of crossups in those games was because of how blocking works, which was directional instead of a button. In SF, if you get crossed up, your character immediately turns around, and that's what happens here, just without actually worrying about blocking the right way or anything. This makes him borderline busted if anything.
I haven't seen how it works in the new port, maybe shield stun isn't enough to lock you in one direction as the opponent lands, but omni-directional blocking doesn't entirely solve the problem because of tomahawk grabs. It also depends like I said before on if you can still do things like smashes in the opposite direction, utilts in the opposite direction, etc pre-emptively.

And if it's not a defensive problem for Ryu, then it's an offensive problem for other characters which was the other number 2 possible issue.

I haven't played it to see how it works in function, but in theory it creates some problems when implemented in Smash.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Oh I get what you mean now. I imagine you can still attack the other side regardless, but I haven't seen any confirmation on that. Also you can tech grabs in this game so empty jump grab iiisn't quite as good, depending on the tech window.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Command specials add very little to his character, though, and didn't belong in Smash in the first place.
Why are you playing Ryu or even care about his inclusion in the game?

Sakurai has said many many times that his goal is to have an accurate representation of how characters play and feel from their original games. He tries to be as close to the source as possible. There are exceptions where movelists have to be created, but in cases where moves already exists he simply ports them over.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
Ryu has a ton of fighting game mechanics from fighting games specific to him already, and is known to be one of the more unaccessible characters. You could simply not play Ryu if you want to have your "dynamic" experience.

Command specials add very little to his character, though, and didn't belong in Smash in the first place.
This is completely false.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Sakurai has said many many times that his goal is to have an accurate representation of how characters play and feel from their original games. He tries to be as close to the source as possible. There are exceptions where movelists have to be created, but in cases where moves already exists he simply ports them over.
Yeah, and then we end up with nonsense like the current Tekken scene being ruled by an Akuma player who's "miraculously made the leap from Street Fighter" by playing the exact same character in the exact same way.

Crossovers should showcase how the characters work and display their identity within the rules of the game they're in, not just port over those of the game that they came from.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
But Akuma DOES do that. His moves function similarly, but have different effects, stun states and combo opportunities.

Did you not know that Akuma in SFIV was an oki monster with safe OS's. Stuff that he abused in that engine is not present in the Tekken engine.

Ryu feels damn good in Smash 4 and they added a minor tweak to make him feel more true to his series.

I really do not see how it could impact him negatively at all.

Unless you are arguing that you fear it could make him beast mode top tier and....well I agree.

I think this change has the potential to make him a huge threat at high level and crap on weaker characters.

But we shall see.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
I don't think this is a bad change. Certainly we'll have to adjust our playstyle (that is not a bad thing), but also I think this makes our tilts godlike? Ryu's tilts are already his bread n butter, and now we can more easily keep the pressure up when people are jumping all over the place.

Losing RAR Bair is a hit, but gaining tilt utility might cancel that out.

famedoro

Smash Rookie
guys, maybe i'm stupid or i missed the e3 part when they show this thing but: how the run will work? I mean, you walk either ways facing opponent but with run? He starts running backwards? He will simply dash back one time like street fighter? Or this is the way he can turn the back to his opponent? If this is the case, then the RAR is possible

-Tornado-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
I_Beat_You
Ryu can still RAR Bair in 1v1
Here's some addtional footage of him in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umn4wVrafPM&feature=youtu.be - From the video, a lot of Ryu's moves seem to be the same, but Fair's damage has went from 15% > 12%, while the back hit of Fair is still 9%

https://twitter.com/mr_gvo/status/1006972579737952256?s=09 - And a tweet about his backdash

https://twitter.com/DreNullCharles/status/1006951158722846720?s=19 - Another tweet of info
https://twitter.com/DreNullCharles/status/1006967428956475393?s=19 - And another

Take these with a grain of salt I supposed, especially since being a beta, these are liable to change (applies more to things like damage, FAF, DI angles, etc. rather than mechanics themselves)

https://twitter.com/fals1fy/status/1006713350678462464?s=21 - False believes Ryu is much more mobile as well

On another note, Ryu's Hadoukens now seem to resemble their look in Super Turbo now

Attachments

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ryu can still RAR Bair in 1v1
Here's some addtional footage of him in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umn4wVrafPM&feature=youtu.be - From the video, a lot of Ryu's moves seem to be the same, but Fair's damage has went from 15% > 12%, while the back hit of Fair is still 9%

https://twitter.com/mr_gvo/status/1006972579737952256?s=09 - And a tweet about his backdash

https://twitter.com/DreNullCharles/status/1006951158722846720?s=19 - Another tweet of info
https://twitter.com/DreNullCharles/status/1006967428956475393?s=19 - And another

Take these with a grain of salt I supposed, especially since being a beta, these are liable to change (applies more to things like damage, FAF, DI angles, etc. rather than mechanics themselves)

https://twitter.com/fals1fy/status/1006713350678462464?s=21 - False believes Ryu is much more mobile as well

On another note, Ryu's Hadoukens now seem to resemble their look in Super Turbo now
Yooooooo

Ryu is broken

-Tornado-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
I_Beat_You
Last edited:

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Wow ry u will doing true combos in the air now and one way to prevent that pressure is air dodging in the correct direction like going behind him probably

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
The more I read about Ryu the more I come to the conclusion that he is a broken monstrosity. At this rate Nintendo will just nerf him into oblivion.

Mister M

Smash Apprentice
I hope Ryu could take it. Despite his gamelan being cut up by competent zoning, killing at 70% was what made him arguably top 10.

It also put the fear of God in opponents; it's what made him fun to play.

Will just have to wait till the game is here

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
He has a real neutral now. Being able to run in with a confirm into a kill is HUGE!!! Unless he gets nerfs or has some horrendous matches he will be stronger in this game.

Flon

Smash Cadet
Ryu looks incredible. The auto-turn actually could mean a lot.

Doesn't it mean you can just pressure opponents and it'll correct your position when they decide to roll backwards? It'll also make it more obvious when opponents are trying to cross you up from the air.

Unless it isn't that fast, of course.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ryu has already been shown to auto correct when an opponent crosses him up or gets behind him. This change is truly for the better. Yes it will be awkward for those of you who have little experience with traditional fighters. I am sure his motion commands were weird for you at first too right? But you will get used to this just as you got used to his motions.

Alot of you want RAR bair because you want an easy catch all neutral button because that is what Smash meta gravitates too. But the ground game has been buffed TREMENDOUSLY in this game. And Bair was overrated anyway. It just saw alot of use because Ryu lacked a cohesive neutral.

A REAL NEUTRAL!!!

No more FISHING!!!

Someone whiffs a button JUST RUN AT THEM WITH D-TILT AND GET YOUR CONVERSION!!!

But ya'll worried about Bair?

Please stop. (Plus he can still RAR bair. It's confirmed.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom