• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rushdown Ness vs Reserved Ness

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Hi, I've decided to attempt to play Brawl competitively again and I was wondering what would be more effective? a Ness who rushed a opponent down and shot out Fairs and dgrab Fair combos or a Ness who waited patiently and basically turtled.

I've always rushed people down with Bairs and Fairs and PK Jump'd them if I was spaced evenly enough, and Bthrow'd them once they were 90+ and/or Nair > Fair. I've tried that Fair fstool Dair thing too, and it seems fairly viable enough to incorporate into a Rushdown Ness.

:dizzy: Any opinions or suggestions? I've pretty much forgotten most of his strategies and I have no idea where to start again @_@.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
PK JUMP?!?!?!? LIKE ACTUAL PK JUMP?!?!?!?

You, my friend.... You have got something going.

Bthrow opponents only at around 120%. Earlier can be DI'd and momentum canceled....

Use all of ness' moves. they all have great potential. utilt (if you can) at early percents. Fair isn't as broken as it seems... but you can use it lots if you want... just remember that it is best used when retreating or if the opponent is hit by a part of it early on. It isn't particularly great for just charging in.

with PKjump, have you been using it like I do? at or above the SH height? if so, you can get fair/nair/bair/uair out and all will hit a grounded opponent or an aerial opponent in some cases. Just time it so it goes out at the exact time you reach your SH height for bair if you are aiming to be behind them, because bair lands with it's hitbox and goes into landing lag instantly afterwards.

dtilt is too pro if you can react/read well. use it in two shot bursts followed by an immediate followup (grab, dashgrab, nair, fair, jab combo, shield etc.)

PSImagnet is also very good... but not against some characters and in some situations. Learn when and where to use psimag, and you will be able to recover all needed percents at will AND get some tricky situations to play out on your side.

FH aerials nearly as much as you SH them... It allows for more options (bair>bair, delaying attacks to time them perfectly, etc.) and can keep you from getting grabbed or pwned by random stuff...

Use uthrow a lot.... it is awesome. use dthrow little, unless your opponent can get comboed easily from your dthrow (not many can). Fthrow for getting people offstage.... the bthrow for kills is obvious.

Dash attack is great for punishing if you can space it perfectly. It pops your opponent up to set up for juggles and other stuff. It can also push your opponent outward fairly far if you hit with only the first two shots (so you can use it for edgeguarding some terrible characters).

ftilt can give you an unexpected kill... never forget it. it can also punish some stuff that you can't reach or hit quickly with dash attack or other things. overall, good and well ranged, but slightly laggy. don't miss and you are good.

dsmash is quick and has a high amount of kill potential. use it in turnaround stuff to catch opponents offguard.

usmash... you can use it if you want... I like it less than dsmash.

jab is mainly for jab lock or if you wanna punish something like a spotdodge or something that you need speed for.

be a pro with PKT... I bet you are though

Space everything perfectly

Have fun! Rep dat ness!

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Eagleye, your posts are always an eyesore. XD

It really depends on the opponent. Like REALLY depends. Learn both rushdown and reserved Ness gameplay, and learn to adapt and know which style works best againt your opponent and his character.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
dthrow > pkt can be against some characters...

Dajayman

Dthrow needs to mixed up, because dthrow to pkt/fair/uair/usmash/regrab are all legit. It all really depends on your opponent: how they DI the throw, if they dj after the throw, if they airdodge or try and aerial counter, etc.

But dthrow stops being useful after like 50%, then it's best to fthrow or uthrow for that 10% damage.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
11 unless they are weakened by overuse, dajay. xD

But I agree with tha dthrow stuff... I still get the pkt on unsuspecting people. Switch up and dash toward em once they catch on, with your shield up, and you get a free nair.

Dajayman

Fthrow is 11%, uthrow is 10%. I just said 10% because I generally use fthrow a lot so it's usually 10% while uthrow will always be 10% as well since I use it less.

And free nair? Why would you use nair when you can just space yourself to get a free regrab? Start the dthrow stuff all over again or just fthrow/uthrow them away for the extra damage.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Regardless of opponent (or your own main), restricting yourself to one style of play is shooting yourself in the foot. Adapt to your opponent and play in whatever manner throws them off the most, if they start adjusting then mix it up again, even if this is all in just one round. Honestly this is the most important thing to learn playing any game competitively. Knowing your character is something that will come easily with experience, knowing how to read all of your opponents is something you need to actively work towards, and makes the difference between a decent player and a great player.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
learn both, and mix it up during the match. A good player will always adapt. If you see that the opponent is pretty rushy, start playing playing defensive and smart, throwing out pkts and pkfs. No one play style is great( unless you're metaknight and you aircamp all day -.-) learn any and every style there is, and switch between them as necessary.

BSP

Smash Legend
Yeah man, don't charge into the match with one playstyle lodged into your mind. Think mid-match: How you opponent is playing and what you can do to beat what they're doing. Ness has a pretty versatile moveset, so just figure out what move works for each situation.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Use adaptation. Never rush in there expecting to win, because that's not how you're going to win. There is nothing wrong with being aggressive, but be patient as well. I don't mean camping or sitting back and running the time, either. When you play patient, you can see what your opponent is doing. Adaptation is key.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
Also, if you're playing for the win, always keep in mind that if you are winning YOU DON'T NEED TO APPROACH.

however some people take this the wrong way. not approaching does not mean that you stay back and do nothing. It means you wait for them to do something, and counter them instead. If you keep running and don't rack damage on the opponent, you will die sooner or later and you won't have the lead anymore.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
IT's all about countering your opponents play style. If he can't handle pressure go aggro. If he's impatient play defensively. If you're good you'll see your self going from offensive to defensive multiple times in one match because you're adjusting to your opponents play style/reading them

Just my 2 cents

RESET Vao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RESET_Imp
Be reserved, then rush in every opening. You're probably fine to just rush a Ganon down though. Lol.

Top Bottom