• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rumors Run Rampant! History of SSBB's rumors

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Rumors. You gotta love 'em. They have cause mass amounts of flame and disappointment, but bow are they fun. So, for funzies, I decided to make one big archive for all the rumors. It's nice to remember all the things that made us the cynical *******s we are.

NOTE:This isn't trying to spread any of these. Some have been disproven, but many are still at large. This is just an archive for these. Whether or not you believe these is up to you.
Turn up that ****! It's Sakurai!
This was the very first rumor ever. It stated that on a Radio show in Japan where he said Ice Climbers and Game & Watch were out with Bowser Jr. and Ridley were in, not to mention Y. Link would become Celda Link. The rumor turned out BS when everyone found out the Radio station in question didn't actually exist. The guy who made it also confessed!

Custom Characters?! Or, at least, custom movesets.
This was the second one to surface, but never became big. It said two things: That courses would have destructible terrain, and you could customize a characters moveset. While this rumor has never officially been debunked, we can tell it's probably not true since the moves seem set in stone. Although, there was destructible terrain.

The Prophet speaks!
This was the rumor that made everyone a pessimist. On GameFAQs, someone posted that there would be 36 characters in Brawl (minus transformations), 15 newcomes, and that one franchise from Melee was not to come back (and all 12 SSB characters were confirmed). What sealed the deal is he said there would be a newcomer and a veteran that week. What happened? Pokemon Trainer and Peach were shown in the span of that one week. He then followed up saying that Lucas was coming that week and Ness was out. Strange. Diddy Kong doesn't look like Lucas.

It's SO BIG! 8.5 to be exact.
When your credible, people listen to you. That's exactly the case here. NyaseNya predicted the Sonic update and video 4 days before it happened. Not to bad. He/she later said that Brawl would be 8.5GB, making it the first duel layered Wii game. Sadly, Europe wouldn't get this game till April/May. Bummer. This one, unlike many other, has yet to be confirmed. Sadly, the topic on Smashboards was locked.

SPOILER ALERT! Mother 3 spoilers ahead.
Say what you will about Starmen.net, when it comes to anything Mother/Earthbound related, they're on it like white on rice. That's what happens here. Though the Mother 3 translation blog, they mentioned that there would be major Mother 3 spoilers, and they will try to speed up the project so that people can go into Brawl without the worry of being spoiled ahead of time. This one is still at large and won't be cleared up till we have the game.

Ride the Blue Wave
What is the best way to promote your trolling. Ride on someone else's rumor and let it roll. That's what Blue Wave did. After NyaseNya predicted Sonic, old Blue said the same thing. NyaseNya was right. He was right. It's all good. He later made a post on Nsiders2 saying A LOT of things. Capt. Falcon and AC guy were starters. Dedede was an unlockable. Jiggly and Marth return. Target Test was back. Paper Mario had an assist trophy. Those are only a few of the claims he made. Of course, what started out as an epic troll was ruined when he came out and said it was a lie only a few days after making it. Can't win them all.

So Wait, when IS Brawl coming out in Japan?
It was stated in Coro Coro that Brawl would come out on November 22 IN JAPAN. It doesn't seem like much, but with a credible course, it could probably be true. Not to mention many Japanese retailers also had this as Brawl's date. This rumor has never been confirmed or denied and with the delay never will be.

U Want Some Ubisoft?
So if you don't know, Jeux-France is a pretty big French site that gets a lot of game info and what not. What happened is someone posted on the blog that they got info from a "SSBB insider" that a Ubisoft character is going to be in Brawl. The possible choices were Sam Fisher, Prince (from the Prince of Persia games), Rayman, and Jade from Beyond Good and Evil (which would surely make fanboys happy). At the time, it made sence; Ubisoft was a big supporter of the Wii (and before the shovleware). It's still at large, but is pretty much dead and buried. Sorry Jade.
(Thanks to jedi2448 for pointing this one out)

Animal Crossing gets a rep. It's.......AC Dude?
In a Famitsu interview with the Animal Crossing creater, the topic of Brawl came up. He said that at first, it was just an item or two, but later it turned into a full fledged characters. Yes, the Animal Crossing rep would be a playable character equipped with shovel, ax and net. This one is actually still at large. Many people think it's deconfirmed, but the magazine that was reported was actually from Coro Coro. Facepalm indeed. However, this one has fallen of the face of the earth as far as anyone else is concerned.

Brawl Demo, Comin' Right Up
According to a site (who's name I don't know) it was rumored that there was going to be a demo channel sinilar to what we got with Metroid Prime 3. What sweetens the deal is that someone had a picture with the TV screen saying "Super Smash Brothers Brawl: Demo Version". However, it was latter reviled to be just a cleaver photoshop.

Geno? In my Brawl!
According to Super Mario RPG Legacy, three sources have said that Geno will be confirmed that week, possibly the next day. The site's admin claims not to know how credible the sources are. This one is very much at large. A web page that is suppose to be 1up says Nintendo has told then that tonight will be Geno, but the site isn't 1up. In the end, Geno was not updated that week. So, DEBUNK!

Super Smash Brothers Brawl delayed AGAIN!
The one rumor no one wants to come true. This one is a bit of a two parter. First, an e-mail was sent to Amazon.co.jp saying Brawl was to be delayed again. The e-mail came from a shady source so it was quickly forgotten. BUT, NyaseNya said that Brawl would be delayed again in the US. Many people feel that the person isn't credible, and feel it's fake. Sadly, this is still at large so anything can happen (especially when Nintendo is involved). This will also prove how credible NyaseNya is.
(Credit to ChronoBound for part one)

IDK my BFF Serebii

Smash trolls always take advantage of a good opportunity to make a rumor, regardless if it will have any info or not. That's what one guy on Smash Boards did. While everyone awaited the Coro Coro magazine (hoping to have Brawl info) one new member decided to become the next prophet. You see, Serebii.net added new info on Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon 2 on his site FROM Coro Coro. So, this member said that he had a AIM conversation with Serebii Joe in which Serebii Joe told him new info from Coro Coro. He said it showed Capt. Falcon, Luigi, and Ridley (as Meta-Ridley). It also showed Port Town and Ashely's Mansion as stages. It didn't take long though for this one to be debunked. Many claimed Serebii doesn't have AIM, and he was asleep during the time. What really destroyed this one was that there was no new info in Coro Coro. Serebii also denies it.

Serebii part duex

Pretty standard stuff here. After the AIM incident, Serebii said Lucario would replace Mewtwo. Since it came right after the AIM incident, it could easily be a trolling. It's at large, and there really isn't much else to this so......................yeah.

Klonoa 4 Brawl
Now, we know about the Krystal fiasco right? The Voice Actor for Krystal said she was doing the voice for Krystal in Brawl on her site. That's a similar situation here. Klonoa VA said that she was doing the voice for a big Nintendo title. The Japanese jumped on this and thought Brawl was the big game. It's been a smaller rumor since we only got it from them, but it's an rumor(and interesting one) nevertheless.
(Credit to ChronoBound)

10 Hour Single-Player! More Characters Then Imaginable!
Supposedly , Famitsu had an interview with Sakurai. He talked about some things such as the combo control being easy to use and making Brawl the best it can be, but the big deal is he said the SSE would be 10hrs long, and there were more characters imaginable (they were still programing characters) and there would be more third party characters. A site with the same info was eventually found, but was a Korean site that was still a secondary source. Still at large.
(Credit to Korrekk from Nintendo Database Forum)

Prophets. You Gotta Love 'Em

What's this? Yes, after Dec. 28th update, ANOTHER prophet reared his/her head. This one said he/she knew of a Stage Builder, and also of the Dragoon item (saying there is an item you had to pick up multiple pieces for). The person said that Capt. Falcon, Ness, Sheik(still as a transformation) and Ganondorf would return. Lucario is replacing Mewtwo and Wolf would also be playable. Oh, and the smashboardians should be happy as Final Destination is back (no real surprise though). At the time of posting this, this rumor is relatively new, so it has yet to be debunked.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/chupelo/gamefaqs2.jpg
(image provided by AdmentNESS)

Longest. Rumor. EVAR!
From the depth of GameFAQ spawned ANOTHER rumor. This one was, to put it simply, long as ****. The man claims he is a beta tester for Brawl and says a heck of a lot. He say there will be a lot of goodies, how to unlock Falcon and Lucario (and their Final Smashes) tells of Wolf, Knuckles (yes Knuckles), Takamaru as an assist, Celic and Geno from SE, no Capcom, the stuff you get for betting the SE, some modes, and there will be 44 characters. It's pretty long, and I may have missed a few things. It's believed to be BS since characters like Tamagon are on the list, and it mentions an online ranking system (which is confirmed to be a no show). Of course, this is crazy enough to turn out to be true just for the sake of irony...............
(credit to Sabrewulf238, and many others).

Quit Spewing LIES!

Another leak rears it's ugly head from GameFAQs. The strange part about this one is the poster put in three lies to make people use their head. He says there will be a 4th third party character, SSB will be on the VC Feb 4th, there will be 3 MGS ATs (Gray Fox, Revolver Ocolot, and one other), Blastoise, Zapdos, Combusken, Vaporeon, Luxray, Cacnea, and Magmortar will all be Pokeball pokemon, there will be no more delays, Skull Kid, Professor Oak, Trace, Kiddy Kong and Sothe are ATs, Ditto is a pokeball pokemon (who is very powerful) Luigi's Mansion, Gorons Mountain, and Kaptain K. Rool's Ship as stages, Sakurai will show off the next third party character on the week of the 14th, the 4th third party will blow your mind, 1-2 the levels from SSB and 1-3 of the levels from SSBM will be in SSBB. I normally don't post everything, but I thought I;d see what you guys think the lies are. As of now, it's at large. Some people say this guy has given out leaks before, but it doesn't confirm if this is BS or not.

Leakers Unite
A while back, a character list for SSBB came out featuring 35 characters ( a long shot from what most fans wanted). What was special about this one (if you can even say that about "leaks") is that most of the "leakers" believed it to be the real roster. Naturally, it caused a lot of internetdrama, but was qualm after a while. The roster is out now, but I won't tell you what the deal was as not to spoil it. You either know it, or you will.

(Spoilers ahead. Do not proceed if your dodging them)

Geno Misses The Boat (And Causes A Delay)

Evene after Brawl is released and everything is finalized, we STILL get rumors. Reported from GoNintendo, the source says that Geno was originally going to be in Brawl, but Nintendo couldn't get the rights worked out with Square Enix. In the end, the game was delayed, Geno was scrapped, and life goes on. It's skeptical whether or not this is true. The source is unreliable, but has some backing by what the roster is. Of course, seems more fake then real.

If there is any rumor I missed, please mention it. No matter how small, I'll take it. Also, if there is something I missed or is wrong, let me know.

Update Log
Dec 30 2007: Added "U Want Some Ubisoft"
Jan 4 2008:Added Longest. Rumor. EVAR!
Jan 6 2008:Added Quit Spewing LIES!

Serebii

Serebii Owner
NNID
SerebiiJoe
For the record I haven't said Lucario replaces Mewtwo and anything that people might have construed as it was stated way before the fake aim convo thing happened

Frogla

Smash Ace
For the record I haven't said Lucario replaces Mewtwo and anything that people might have construed as it was stated way before the fake aim convo thing happened
But i did read that you said quote "Lucario is made for Brawl". Do you still stick to that statement?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
More info on the Klonoa rumor? (Links, etc?)
It's in ChronoBound "Ultimate Character list" thread in the Character section. That is all there really is on it. Someone did find a link to the person's blog though in the topic.

Hippochinfat

Smash Ace
The "The original 12 are returning" rumor. Also that AC guy rumor was fake that article was about AC wii and not brawl.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
One of Serebii.net admins posted it and said it came from Serebii

shipoffools

Smash Journeyman
the guy in the e4all video confirming luigi
the one interveiw where the zelda guy said he helped with gannon and sheik
wal-mart talking about a march 28th release

i duno if those count and are what youre looking for but those stick out most in my mind when it comes to rumors

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The "The original 12 are returning" rumor. Also that AC guy rumor was fake that article was about AC wii and not brawl.
The AC rumor is still at alrge and was never disproven. What happened is someone posted the magazine article from Coro Coro but it was just one about AC and the inteview came from famiutsi. So it died rather then being disproven.

Also, the original 12 rumor, I need more info. I think it's the one linked to SSBB at E3 (the Version Red one) but if you can either give me more info or a source I'll add it.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
When your credible, people listen to you. That's exactly the case here. NyaseNya predicted the Sonic update and video 4 days before it happened. Not to bad. He/she later said that Brawl would be 8.5GB, making it the first duel layered Wii game. Sadly, Europe wouldn't get this game till April/May. Bummer. This one, unlike many other, has yet to be confirmed. Sadly, the topic on Smashboards was locked.

That one was debunked. Nya said at one point that he was joking or lying, I don't remember which.

Hippochinfat

Smash Ace
The AC rumor is still at alrge and was never disproven. What happened is someone posted the magazine article from Coro Coro but it was just one about AC and the inteview came from famiutsi. So it died rather then being disproven.

Also, the original 12 rumor, I need more info. I think it's the one linked to SSBB at E3 (the Version Red one) but if you can either give me more info or a source I'll add it.
It was disproven. Somone posted the article with a translation and it turned out the article was all about AC wii and not Brawl. The original 12 returning rumor I think started from loser fanboys.

Tobi-

Smash Ace

That one was debunked. Nya said at one point that he was joking or lying, I don't remember which.
I feel sorry for the people that were so easily influenced. The same with this whole prophet business.

Serebii

Serebii Owner
NNID
SerebiiJoe
**** then...I know what that means...
What do you think it means?

It could mean I cant reveal any info if such info in there is true

It could mean I do not know everything and so cannot answer

It could mean I do not have time to answer

It could mean I spilt some Pepsi in my keyboard and cannot use it

Azura

Smash Cadet
It's good to see an accurate rumor compendium. Nice work, SmashChu.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
Epic fa- I mean MAJOR WIN! Lol no sarcasm here. I love seeing rumors debunked. Don't forget the many Sonic rumors and Hoaxes before he was confirmed for Brawl. Tons on utube.

BlueWave

Smash Apprentice
Nice job detailing all of the rumors from the past, including the ones I foolishly started.

Garuda

Smash Ace
On YouTube, it was mostly just preteens going "o look at meee i can use teh windos movee mayker", blue background and white text, songs that didn't match, frames that you could see that weren't supposed to be there. Basically sums up AMVs in general as well. But to the point.

Nya confessed? I thought it was BlueWave? No idea. Nya was perfectly accurate, but then again, I guess anyone could have predicted that Sonic would be revealed by then, and since he/she had an account here since 2002 and promised on his/her membership (allowed to be reported if wrong about Sonic's unveil), there'd be nothing to lose whatsoever.

BlueWave

Smash Apprentice
On YouTube, it was mostly just preteens going "o look at meee i can use teh windos movee mayker", blue background and white text, songs that didn't match, frames that you could see that weren't supposed to be there. Basically sums up AMVs in general as well. But to the point.

Nya confessed? I thought it was BlueWave? No idea. Nya was perfectly accurate, but then again, I guess anyone could have predicted that Sonic would be revealed by then, and since he/she had an account here since 2002 and promised on his/her membership (allowed to be reported if wrong about Sonic's unveil), there'd be nothing to lose whatsoever.
I did confess, and so did NyaseNya. Check back on his earlier posts.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
I did confess, and so did NyaseNya. Check back on his earlier posts.
Straight from the wave himself.

Actually I was talking more about the most infamous of Sonic hoaxes. Remember the one where they supposedly "sharpened" the blue screen in the background of Zamus's screenshot and "found" a Sonic symbol? It was debunked after a while by Teamrocketspy621. There's one for ya SmashChu.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If Nya confessed, it wasn't on this site according this his posts...I searched though them

Goopygoo

Smash Ace
Looking for our princess in another castle.

Prophets. You Gotta Love 'Em

What's this? Yes, after Dec. 28th update, ANOTHER prophet reared his/her head. This one said he/she knew of a Stage Builder, and also of the Dragoon item (saying there is an item you had to pick up multiple pieces for). The person said that Capt. Falcon, Ness, Sheik(still as a transformation) and Ganondorf would return. Lucario is replacing Mewtwo and Wolf would also be playable. Oh, and the smashboardians should be happy as Final Destination is back (no real surprise though). At the time of posting this, this rumor is relatively new, so it has yet to be debunked.
I could've sworn this one was made back in October.

Top Bottom