• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Rumor] Possible Rayman Leak? UPDATE: Video Uncovered!

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
Daaaamn son.

PLOT TWIST; THE GUY WHO LEAKED THIS IS THE SAME GUY WHO LEAKED THE ESRB LEAK.

Do I care about Rayman? *gigglesnort* Yes.
Do I want him playable? I'd rather have my Roy Boy, Lucas, Snake and Ice Climbers, but hey, Rayman is cool and all.
Do I think there's more DLC? Heck yes.

#TEAMREAL

Kingkool

Smash Apprentice
There is a possible issue even if the leak is true, I am now having the same fear that people had before we saw Pac-man. I really hope he has abilities and attacks based off some combination of the first 3 games and the most recent 2 and not some bull**** toilet plunger raving rabbids attacks. I don't think we can avoid his assist trophy being the rabbids so I hope at least that his moveset represents him well.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
You know, it's curious how some people ask for a character to be in smash, and after a long time, the dream became true...

And finish off don't even use it in friendies...
Well, I suppose they're just satisfied with their characters being represented in the series. That, and maybe too much dedication over one character gives one the mentality that they have been around in the series since forever, thus losing the novelty of being newcomers.

This happened to me and a lot of people with Mega Man, who doesn't help his case due to how his moveset works (the fact that his side tilt makes him go forward automatically throws me off).But I don't exactly have that problem with the rest of the newcomers, since I never really wanted any of the other guys (and if I did, it was just for the sake of bandwagoning, like with Little Mac, Palutena, Robin and Shulk), and I don't even play most of them because either they are, again, kind of awkward to control, or just plain boring to play as (cough Dark Pit cough).

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
There is a possible issue even if the leak is true, I am now having the same fear that people had before we saw Pac-man. I really hope he has abilities and attacks based off some combination of the first 3 games and the most recent 2 and not some bull**** toilet plunger raving rabbids attacks. I don't think we can avoid his assist trophy being the rabbids so I hope at least that his moveset represents him well.
It'll most likely stuff pulled from origins and legends, there's only really one thing which he could pull from rabbids. That being the toilet gun.

Also a murphy assist would be nice, doing the same thing he did in legends

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
all his non specials should really be taken from legends/origins. His specials should be from the 3d games

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Because I was wrong about every leak leading up to this one, I will instantly believe it without question. GET HYPED!!

Kingkool

Smash Apprentice
all his non specials should really be taken from legends/origins. His specials should be from the 3d games
That would probably be the best way this could turn out. I hope he has a tether grab in the form of his lockjaw chain, along with a z-air

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
After the entire roster screenshot ordeal back in the summer, I am more likely to believe credible sources. I must admit that I am REALLY leaning towards believe this is legit. The only thing stopping me is a lack of actual game play footage (ala Bowser Jr/Shulk/Ganondorf) and an official Nintendo announcement.

I do hate how his head is literally floating in the CSS though :/

As well, this does kind of throw away my "Mewtwo is the only character dlc" viewpoint. Now let's open the floodgates for the likes of Dixie Kong, Isaac, Wonder Red, Roy, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Lucas, Mach Rider, Impa, and anyone else with a possibility of entering lol.

ShinigamiSackboy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0877-2539-2737
Real, because Sakurai and the team wanted to put more characters than those but couldn't because of the lack of time. I'll get a Wii U soon, so i'll be waiting for this so i can play my second favorite videogame character ever (first is Pit/Pittoo) I WANT SSBU SO BAAADDD

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Last edited by a moderator:

SmashBros50

Smash Apprentice
The only thing I see fake is on the 3ds screen. All characters with one person in the franchise such as Duck Hunt or Villager, were put in chronological order, Mr game and watch, little Mac, etc. But on the leak it jumps from little Mac to ness, with duck hunt and rob at the bottom, not in chronological order. Still hope to god it's real though.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Calling it now: footage is real, but Rayman is not leaked. What we're seeing is a hacked game(s) with unused character portraits displayed. Rayman was PLANNED but SCRAPPED. That's why the video doesn't go into an actual game - it either crashes or gives you a default character like Master Hand. It also explains why his trophy can already be unlocked and looks a bit different than the portrait.

Luigi-man

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yassinius
3DS FC
5284-1979-1070
This leak seems very legit. Rayman's eyebrows do look a little bit weird though...

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
I think that by now it's pretty real, I don't really care for rayman myself, but this probably means that there's going to be more DLC other than mewtwo

Melonfrog

Smash Apprentice
Just a theory, but maybe the reason we see no gameplay and the video didn't select Rayman is because he might be in early development. Maybe announcer hasn't even been recorded yet, maybe all they have developed so far is his 3D model and renders for the images.
Selecting Rayman might crash the game, who knows.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Guyz...guyzzz...if you look VERY carefully!! Guyz...Mewtwo's tail overlaps Greninja's body and is missing an eye! But ONLY IF YOU LOOK VERY CLOSE!!!

Ryaman's finger also overlaps Sanic's shoes. Like zFOR REALZ! Also I have seen that model before but...guyzzz...i don't know where Isaw it at but I KNOW I SAW IT B4!!!zz

FAKE!!!!!

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's really interesting to see us discussing potential major Smash leaks after release, as opposed to otherwise.

There's like a totally different tone.

I sure hope the Rayman fans are happy, hah! :shades:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Guyz...guyzzz...if you look VERY carefully!! Guyz...Mewtwo's tail overlaps Greninja's body and is missing an eye! But ONLY IF YOU LOOK VERY CLOSE!!!

Ryaman's finger also overlaps Sanic's shoes. Like zFOR REALZ! Also I have seen that model before but...guyzzz...i don't know where Isaw it at but I KNOW I SAW IT B4!!!zz

FAKE!!!!!
Venus solves the case.

Professor Layton solves cases.

Professor Layton is third-party.

Professor Layton confirmed.

Nah I'm happy with this.

While I am as ambivalent towards Rayman as I am Mewtwo, the prospect of future DLC and fans' wishes coming true is enough to satisfy me. I thrive on the happiness of others~

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Calling it now: footage is real, but Rayman is not leaked. What we're seeing is a hacked game(s) with unused character portraits displayed. Rayman was PLANNED but SCRAPPED. That's why the video doesn't go into an actual game - it either crashes or gives you a default character like Master Hand. It also explains why his trophy can already be unlocked and looks a bit different than the portrait.
If these portraits, etc. were actually found in the game's data by hackers, I could believe this theory. Until then, though, I'm definitely leaning on the side of this being a legitimate leak. As has been pointed out before, if you listen closely when he hovers over Rayman, you can hear the buzzer sound effect that happens when you can't select something. This leads me to believe that this is a future update of the game, which adds the support for DLC and such, but not a copy of the game with the characters bought/unlocked/etc. Mewtwo has a trophy that can already be unlocked, but he's still coming as DLC with a different model as well. As for why they're still on the CSS before being bought, Mario Kart 8 does the same thing with its DLC, for both the characters and the tracks (note the three locked future DLC characters in the bottom right):

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
I would have preferred the return of Snake or Simon Belmont, but this is cool. If we had to have someone from the PS1 platformer era, I would have chosen Spyro, but it's alright. Rayman was a respectable choice. But most of all, the writing was just on the wall. I knew he was going to be DLC or something. Not too shocking.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
The video is gone now. Normally I would take this as a sign that it is 100% real and was taken down by Nintendo. But the mysterious thing is that the video was taken down "by the user." Who ever made this video may have taken it down to try to prove its authenticity. That said they may have also taken it down because they were afraid of getting caught by Nintendo. So while it could be one or the other, I am going to say its real. Just because there was actual footage and not a still image that could have simply been edited.

In the description of the video the guy seemed very excited and proud to be bringing us this information, I can't think of why he would decide of his own accord to take it down if there were no consequences
Probably because once it hit front pages of major Nintendo-related websites, it was open to scrutiny from too many people so he panic-deleted it. Or, by deleting it he wants it to look suspicious and basically make people think what you're thinking.

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I'll drink the Kool-aid and join the camp that thinks this "leak" is real. Why do I say that? Because I never believed for a second that Mewtwo was going to be the only DLC character in the game.

Nintendo would be walking away from a potential goldmine if they just made Mewtwo the only DLC character in the game. If other games like Fire Emblem, New Super Mario Bros 2, and Mario Kart 8 all have their own DLC that earns Nintendo extra money beyond someone buying a copy of a game, then why would Smash not get the same treatment?

Especially since DLC characters in fighting games is a common and popular trend.

I found some of the cuts in Smash 4 to be strange. Why did Wolf and Lucas get the axe despite being pretty popular characters in Brawl and far from being clones?

Because I think some characters like those two either did not make it in due to time constraints or were held back for future DLC. Outside of Mewtwo, I'm sure many people(myself included) would gladly pay to have Wolf or Lucas back in the game. If they got the Ice Climbers to work as well, then that's another character that could be added back in.

It's not a bad model for Nintendo, put out a new character every few months and make some extra cash off Smash 4.

As for Rayman being a DLC character, I think that's real as well. I always thought it was odd that Ubisoft, a company that has had some trouble with Nintendo recently would be the third-party to get a trophy in the game.

Rayman had two trophies in the game! Why does a third-party character who is not playable in any form have two trophies in the game? And if the idea was to give third-party characters their own trophies even if they were not playable then were are the trophies from series like Castlevania, Bomberman, Ninja Gaiden, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Adventure Island, Street Fighter, and other third-party franchises that have made an impact on Nintendo platforms in the past?

Rayman seems to have an unusual amount of content for a non-playable third-party character. Of course, the argument could go that plenty of other non-playable franchises have two or more trophies. But those are first-party game or at the very least games that Nintendo has published in the past.

Why would Ubisoft sign on to have Rayman just be a trophy? I think they wanted him to be playable as a future DLC character. It's a win-win for both parties. Nintendo gets a fairly popular third-party character to sell as DLC while Ubisoft makes some money from the deal, and also have a chance to give Rayman some free promotion that might help out sales of their Rayman games.

I think the Rayman DLC is real.

Top Bottom