• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ruleset changes at Apex 2015

What ruleset changes would you like to see at Apex 2015?

• Total voters

Mr Bushido

Smash Ace
What ruleset changes would you like to see at Apex 2015?

You can choose more than one option in the poll :denzel:

N.B. an eight-minute timer will most definitely not be possible with every setup due to limited amount of available Gamesharks. It could still be used for Top 8 / streamed sets.

edit: i made a mistake in the poll; no timer would be the CURRENT standard and an 8 minute one the CHANGE. ty.

Last edited:

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
You have no Hyrule options. Seems biased, Z!
So out of what you have I prefer counter picks present. Takes more skill at the game to play on multiple stages. The dreamland only thing is making the game stagnate.

Last edited:

Beesy

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised to hear Firo opt for for DL only b/c ness. Maybe he's a masochist. Or maybe he's so good it doesn't matter. I want Hyrule so Ness is more viable.
Jimmyjoe, YES to more stages than fewer. DL only would get so boring.

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
firo has other characters, but ness on hyrule is dumbbbbb slow. you've got pretty good combos on dl.

Beesy

Smash Apprentice
firo has other characters, but ness on hyrule is dumbbbbb slow. you've got pretty good combos on dl.
Of course Firo has other characters. But I want to see more of his ness, and I'd rather play ness on hyrule than DL if I had the choice, so I want to increase odds of seeing his ness by supporting Hyrule wherever possible.

Last edited:

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Of course Firo has other characters. But I want to see more of his ness, and I'd rather play ness on hyrule than DL if I had the choice, so I want to increase odds of seeing his ness by supporting Hyrule wherever possible.
Ness is better on dreamland than hyrule.

Or rather, ness has a better chance of winning on dreamland than hyrule.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I may be biased, but I'd add Hyrule as a counterpick with timers active ;)

I can bring a GS to apex also

Shears

Smash Master
Maybe he's a masochist.
Probably, its not like gingers have souls anyway.

I think a timer is very important. Obviously a GS timer is ideal, but with everyone already having a handheld timer on them, this can be executed very easily. I prefer 5 stocks but I'm certainly ok with 4. I think stage variety is important. Even though I don't like DL, I support it as the neural starting stage with Congo and Peachs as counterpicks. I also think Saffron should be a counterpick.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
I know there are people out there who think that hyrule should be legal because Peru is showing up
thats ****ing dumb
The japanese are going too. Where is the option to coin flip for J version?

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
i find the number of people voting for dreamland only to be very disturbing. timers BY REQUEST makes the most sense. with timers in place 5 stock should b fine

Edit: Also for top 8 streamed if there was a timed match we would need a way to display the time to the stream. I guess we could do GS or maybe like an "unofficial" timer displayed on the stream just so people have an idea of how much time is left, and an "official" timer (cell phone,stop watch ect.) for the players to look at

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
This is America, we play the American version with the American ruleset. You want Hyrule, go to Peru like Karajan and play there. You want Dreamland only and J version, go to Japan like Karajan and play there. You want (stage) freedom, then come to America and play here.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i also think double blinds should be mandated across all sets

but remember what happened at smashacre? initial m2k stranded set was long as hell, as were all his sets pre-evening. when top4 rolled around, the TO instituted a 4stock 8min timer. this was unfair (albeit necessary to ensure a swift end to the tourney) to the other participants, because anyone could have observed this rule and sought to time him out.

this is true of any event, i think, and if you don't mandate it across all sets, you can wind up with two players who do not want a timer and embark on a 40 minute trip to the wilderness. just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't.

same was true of hyrule. take note that extreme m2k/peru level camping on hyrule wasn't employed until fairly recently, despite there being a years-long debate on its legality. i think mandating timers (should they be in the majority) will fix this issue before it has time to become an issue.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
i also think double blinds should be mandated across all sets

but remember what happened at smashacre? initial m2k stranded set was long as hell, as were all his sets pre-evening. when top4 rolled around, the TO instituted a 4stock 8min timer. this was unfair (albeit necessary to ensure a swift end to the tourney) to the other participants, because anyone could have observed this rule and sought to time him out.

this is true of any event, i think, and if you don't mandate it across all sets, you can wind up with two players who do not want a timer and embark on a 40 minute trip to the wilderness. just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't.

same was true of hyrule. take note that extreme m2k/peru level camping on hyrule wasn't employed until fairly recently, despite there being a years-long debate on its legality. i think mandating timers (should they be in the majority) will fix this issue before it has time to become an issue.
i really can't imagine two people wanting a 40 minute match in tourney. it just doesn't make sense. on the other hand having a timer for every match would be logistically pretty difficult and would probably delay sets rather than speed them up as intended

Annex

Smash Ace
Zebes is legit af
If someone modded to just leave the 3 plats+lava it would be the best stage in any smash game

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i don't think it's so much that they want the match to take that long, but if neither one wants a timer and plays keep away...the situation could have been avoided by just necessitating the timer in the first place.

it would be logistically difficult, yes. you'd need there to be a third person for every tourney set with a phone stopwatch/controller plugged ready to pause at the end.

i just think a by-request option for timers has issues.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
i don't think it's so much that they want the match to take that long, but if neither one wants a timer and plays keep away...the situation could have been avoided by just necessitating the timer in the first place.

it would be logistically difficult, yes. you'd need there to be a third person for every tourney set with a phone stopwatch/controller plugged ready to pause at the end.

i just think a by-request option for timers has issues.
i think that the mass majority of player who plan on playing "keep away" would prefer a timer so they wouldnt have to camp for 40 minutes. and anyone who is going up against a campy player would want a timer as well

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Anyone who plays this game obviously doesn't want matches longer than 8 minutes unless they're masochistic

Anyone who is aware of the timer rule is capable of deducing when their next match could go to 8 minutes and request a timer (ie any serious match)

Anyone that can't tell when this is going to happen will not have a risk of a match going over time

Forcing every match to use a timer would delay the tournament by quite a bit

Sedda

Smash Champion
there should be a rule where the people who play on stream have to hold up their port # with their fingers so that the streamer can get the names correctly.

this way we won't have to worry bout commentators messing up

also **** J version

Mr Bushido

Smash Ace
You have no Hyrule options. Seems biased, Z!
So out of what you have I prefer counter picks present. Takes more skill at the game to play on multiple stages. The dreamland only thing is making the game stagnate.
There is always the option to gentleman. No one should have to play on Hyrule unless they agree to.

I am also opposed to PC and Congo being legal due to the stage hazards and (mainly) because low tiers get dominated even more on those stages.

#adreamlandcumtrue

Shears

Smash Master
Timer logistics aren't complicated.

1. Pull out phone
2. Set timer to 8 minutes
3. As game countdown begins start timer
4. Player that is winning pauses game when timer goes off*

*4 will almost never happen

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Timer logistics aren't complicated.

1. Pull out phone
2. Set timer to 8 minutes
3. As game countdown begins start timer
4. Player that is winning pauses game when timer goes off*

*4 will almost never happen
more like
1. pull out phone
2. set timer to 8 minutes
3. restart game after realizing phone goes black after 1 minute of inactivity
4. fumble thru phone settings for 5 minutes to turn off screen saver
5. ask opponent to use their phone cuz u realize your battery is about to die
6. finally start match

yOLORIN

Smash Apprentice
the point is things will never go as smoothly once you start incorporating additional equipment
AGREE
MIGHT as well use in game timer and keep track of stocks (say stock count after each death)

Beesy

Smash Apprentice
I think enforced timers are doable, but it does seem like a lot of unnecessary work. I'm in sympathy with Cobr's point about equality, but I'm sure there are very few people who this would be necessary for. I would hope that timers by request would be easier/faster and not cause so many unforeseen problems. I'm all for 8 minutes, but imagine the problems and complaints when something happens and arguments start. How would it be enforced anyway? Both players who don't time get DQ'd? Maybe it's fine that if neither player wants to go to the trouble of timing then they don't have to, and aren't protected by it.

Generally, I find that identifying the problem is better than blanket sweeps of regulations. Maybe it's not a big deal, and I sure won't be upset if I'm required to time, I'm just trying to further the discussion for the benefit of the tourney.

caneut

Smash Ace
more like
1. pull out phone
2. set timer to 8 minutes
3. restart game after realizing phone goes black after 1 minute of inactivity
4. fumble thru phone settings for 5 minutes to turn off screen saver
5. ask opponent to use their phone cuz u realize your battery is about to die
6. finally start match
1. don't be ********
2. use phone

kys

Smash Ace
As cobr said, timer implementation needs to be uniform. As marbles said, smooth timer implementation is near impossible. For that, timers should not exist.

Congo should remain, because it actually helps the lower tiers, as "THE Z" is horribly misinformed. Keep counterpicks.

I have spoken.

Top Bottom