• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rude pre-set message, a strategy?

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Some people that I have played against have rude things set to their taunts online. Somehow it always seems to affect my playing even when I ignore it.

My question is whether or not they are just being rude, or is it a strategy seeing that many people do not play well when upset, and how many people can relate to this happening?

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
I suppose, honestly, it would depend on the taunt and how you took it. If it was one of my taunts (Vicious Delicious!), you probably wouldn't get too mad because there's nothing to get mad over, save for the fact that I just taunted you. However, if the taunt was a bit more offensive (Call me daddy, *****), not only would that be rude, but you may want to get back at that person for calling you their *****. Ultimately, that factor could change your game--for better or for worse.

Other factors may include the difference in score, the character doing the taunt and/or the taunt itself (Lucas' tripping taunt as opposed to Sonic's "You're too slooooow!"), how many times the opponent has won or lost against you, and just the type of person you are: are you easily offended by online messages or do you simply disregard them knowing that it's just a game?

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Yea i guess it does also depend on how annoying the character's taunt is without the message too. Maybe i am offended too easily...

Unseen_Killa

Smash Apprentice
I think it is very immature to do something like that, but it may affect gameplay for better or worse depending on how you took it. Ofc, there are many immature gamers.

IvoYaridovich

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4355-9654-5728
In my mind, we play this game for fun. You attempt to find someone you can have fun with, so there is absolutely no reason for someone to be overly rude to that person. I've faced 2 people so far that had a very blatant "**** You" as a taunt and used it every time they KOed me. It didn't matter if I was crushing them, or if they were crushing me. That only ruins the fun you may have been having. If I see something like this, I just remove them from my f-list and remember not to have a match with them again. Taunts by nature are hard to ignore, so those with rude and immature ones are almost always noticed.

2 of my taunts are character specific (You're too slow!, Penguin Power!), 1 is very generic (Fly birdy fly!), and 1 basically signals when input lag or a dumb mistake screws me over (Woops (-_-)). Only way I can see mine being offensive is if I'm playing a wingless bird...

Blazer

Smash Ace
I don't find taunts or their messages bad at all. First off, me getting mad about something, is usually a good thing for me, second it doesn't affect the game besides it being a taunt. The only time a taunt should annoy anyone is when it's at a stupid time. A guy I know for example will taunt if I kill him and in the process kill myself. Or if I were to simply jump off the stage to give him a chance. Then, I get angry, but besides something dumb like that, the message that comes with it, doesn't even matter.

mickomoo

Smash Rookie
It is annoying when people have offensive taunts. But I've rarely encountered them. The worse was someone using "***" and some guy who had some very "gay" taunts. It's one match, there's no record, like someone else said, don't play them again. I understand how you feel though. Some people really need to grow up...

orintemple

Smash Lord
If you are using "offensive" taunts to get in your opponents head you are a complete *******, but no doubt a genius. If you are naive enough to be offended by some stupid words that someone put on a taunt in a video game, then they deserve to get an advantage for messing with your head. It part of mindgames. A player with a background in psychology actually does have an advantage of other players (not just with the taunt things, just how minds work in general), whether you like it or not.

If they are just using rude taunts to be rude... then they are just a complete *******...

Also, I agree that this is why we don't have voice chat. Nintendo knows they have more children (or at least children with "virgin ears") playing their games than play Halo or something.

Watery

Smash Rookie
There was a similar topic on this recently and I decided not to post my take on it ,but after seeing another similar thread, I guess it would be best to at least say something.

Especially true on communication services such as Aim, Msn, Trillian, anything on the Internet, we all have to realize that one of the fundamental aspects of communcation is missing, and that is the psychological or simply the emotional aspects of the individual.

When we speak with the people we see everyday, family, friends, peers, and strangers, we don't speak to them in monotone and with no emotion (unless maybe you do, if so, I'm sorry for not representing u in this). We have emotions and when we chat, our voice reflects these emotions.

So when we say "Hi", it can be interpreted in a lot of ways. To our family, it reflects our affinity towards them. To our friends, it expresses our gratitude for them. To peers, it expresses our acknowledgement towards them. And finally to the sun, it shows how we're always grateful that as long as there is a tomorrow, there is hope. =D

So therefore in saying so, when a player on wifi uses a kirby and does a down taunt and for some reason the taunt is something derogatory or mean, what am I suppose to get from that? Kirby, his face being cheerful and absolutely happy, who am I to say he is not? On the other hand, my opponent, his character being completely arbitrary to his choice, was his intention just a literal meaning of the words I see?

The fact is I have no right to assume what my opponent means by his choice of words. However, I do have a right to assume that whatever my opponents choices of words are, its there because its deliberate. There is a reason behind it but unless I know this person, I can't go assume the reason.

But in saying all that I said, yeah, in all seriousness, just do what several people on this thread have already suggested. If someone has a mean taunt and you just can't seem to ignore it, do the smart thing and just play someone else. You'll still have fun and in most cases, a lot more fun. =D

Steck

Smash Journeyman
I think some people are just annoying and like to be rude. It's not so much a strategy. They just like being mean.

I try to keep my taunts on the stupid/funny side. The rudest one is "PWN!", though some 70 year olds might find "For teh motherland!" offensive.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it's a pain when people gotta do that stuff. But it usually just makes me want to kick their #$!@^% more.

The most annoying taunt I use is the typical "You must recover" one for whenever I air-guard/spike/edgehog someone.

IceEmblem

Smash Journeyman
Constantly inside a R.O.B Halloween Costume
Are they just rude jokes or are they like racist and such.
If there rude jokes just get over it, there just doing it for fun.
my tuants are.
"Suck my R.O.B."
"Show me your B**bs"
"take it to the head."
Really it's nothing to get worked up about.

DDM

Smash Journeyman
Mine are:

"You're nothing!" I guess I could see someone getting bent about that.
"Can't touch this"
"Bring it on!!"
"Come get some" I could see where that would be offensive, particularly when it's Wario shaking his hind quarters in your general direction.

nintengod

Smash Apprentice
when i play as sonic, and do YOU'RE TOO SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW every time i knock them back far enough, they seem to do worse progressively
mind games are like 90% of the battle

Fonix

Smash Cadet
I guess being a on the internet for over 13 years now silly things like that don't matter. Now when I was 12 years old, and someone came onto the nintendo webchat saying "SEGA RULES NINTENDO ****ING SUCKS!" yeah I maybe got worked up. Then I realized...that's the internet :p

The only taunt I have that might be construed as offensive is "I'm Rick James *****!" I am going to keep that however because first of all it's a reference to a funny t.v. show. Second of all that's that was just one of the things my roommates and I used to say while playing melee.

Zenonfury

Smash Cadet
Rude taunts should tell you to get better and not allow the person time or reason to do them...o_O i.e...beat them and thats a better taunt i would think..[you winning]

Listerine

Smash Apprentice
I only use one offensive taunt; though not aimed directly at the opponent; but at myself. When I'm about to die.. etc.

@Steck: How is "Pwn" even offensive?

Top Bottom