• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy Tips and Tricks

Do you think Roy is "Top Tier"

• Absolutely

Votes: 51 56.7%
  • Heck no!

Votes: 39 43.3%

• Total voters

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
roy is not op you just dont know how to fight him yet cuz he is new plus zard is slow roy is pretty fast in run speed.
That side smash.....I use Zard a lot, and Im dying at 100%......zard is normally killed at 120%....

ConsummateK

Smash Cadet
Yeah I find myself using neutral B while edge guarding just to bait an attack to counter. Sooooo satisfying when it hits.

SPAZ494

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4511-0835-8425
The roy character discussion area is probably not the best place to ask if he is op or even really good... I'm not saying he's op but people who main any character are quick to point out "weaknesses" of their character if they are called op or powerful.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
The roy character discussion area is probably not the best place to ask if he is op or even really good... I'm not saying he's op but people who main any character are quick to point out "weaknesses" of their character if they are called op or powerful.
You could also argue that a character's mains are also the people best placed to know their character's weaknesses, though.

Christobelle

Smash Rookie
NNID
Christobel
Wow. People who cry "OP" before a character has even had a chance to actually compete in a Tourney are... Ugh... Nvm. *shakes head in disappoinment* At least give them a chance to compete and develop before making any rash speculations.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Flare Blade needs about a second and a half of charging before it can kill as early as f-smash does. I was referring to a hypothetical move that would start up as quickly as f-smash, with minimal ending lag, and start killing at about 60-70% without needing to be charged. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any such move.
So in short you're looking for Diddy's 1.0.4 Uair.

Neon00

Smash Rookie
Roy? OP? Nah. He's got huge kill potential sure, but that's pretty much his asset. He struggles with projectiles and I personally haven't found many reliable combos for him, mind you I'm not exactly a combo king or anything. He's definitely top tier, but OP is one thing he's not. Issue is, if you take away his kill potential, you pretty much reduce him to what they've reduced Diddy Kong and Greninja to.

I don't mean people who roll away every time they throw out an attack or after certain options, no. That's easy to punish. I mean when an opponent dashes at you, rolls back when they're a few meters away from you, and repeats until they do something else over and over. I'm trying to beat that specific type of rolling habit, but no dice. It's been my bane since 3DS release. The most I've done is catch on to when an opponent will approach with a grab instead if they form enough of a pattern, and they take an fsmash to the face, but that's rare.

I played an opponent who did this a lot yesterday as Dark Pit. As Roy, I couldn't do anything about it. They did it for almost the whole match and nearly timed us out because of it. I felt horrible when I kept getting grabbed on the second stock while they were doing it and I couldn't really do anything about it, until they did two forward throws near the ledge, taunting each time, with the second killing me. I tried to change my tags to "ROLLS LIKE" and "A BAKERY" but they left immediately. I'm still a bit salty/annoyed and would like to know if you guys have any answers or ideas.

:pimp:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Corner them, don't give them enough space to do it. And if they insist on keeping to do it then just scare them by approaching with like a nair, DED, even a dash attack.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Let them do it. They gain nothing but give you free space.

You are a swordsman. Play the match as such.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
The main reason keeping Royfrom top/high tier, would be the aforementioned, lack of AT (hopefully to be remedied) and the fact that he doesn't have a projectile. Other than that, dthrow. Is GODLIKE... With true combos at low percentage and setups later. For example, if your opponent keeps air dodging out of your combos at say... 50% you can then just charge an smash after a dthrow, watch them air dodge, and destroy them with a sweet spot fsmash! Gosh I love Roy...

Liyrex

Smash Apprentice
Daein (Or Albany, NY whatever makes more sense)
NNID
Liyrex
3DS FC
3265-5244-3896
The main reason keeping Royfrom top/high tier, would be the aforementioned, lack of AT (hopefully to be remedied) and the fact that he doesn't have a projectile. Other than that, dthrow. Is GODLIKE... With true combos at low percentage and setups later. For example, if your opponent keeps air dodging out of your combos at say... 50% you can then just charge an smash after a dthrow, watch them air dodge, and destroy them with a sweet spot fsmash! Gosh I love Roy...
Issac is that you? From Schenectady smash?

AfroGamerNinja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FluffyWarlock
So, how does one approach with Roy when the opponent can fight at longer ranges?

Because seriously, that makes me kinda wish that Flare blade would behave like Greninja's Water Shuriken. I mean, the Sword of Seals can attack at ranged distances in his home game, so why Smash has it behave like Ike's Eruption?

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
You can shield during a dash, use that to get in and pressure the camper.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
Roy is able to nullify a lot of projectiles with just his jab and f-tilt. Dashing into Shield works too, but it may not deter them from following behind the safe projectile. Nullifying them with jab and f-tilt will eliminate that safety (they also risk being smacked by the active frames if they follow behind the projectile). Another thing is that usuall after you nullify the projectile you can act fairly quickly since the two animations, essentially, cancel each other. In a special case, F-tilt can over power the projectile and will continue with it's animation. Can be pretty slick.

Of course some projectiles, like lasers, this won't really fly with.

Last edited:

Zeta~

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sycho-Ashura777
3DS FC
5026-4570-3155
I'm having the same issue. Can't stand Mega man players or Villagers. Seriously it's impossible tbh. If I defend myself, I get grabbed into a combo. If I go on offense, I get attacked from afar into hitstuns that make me vulnerable. If I grab, They escape with ease. If I approach, they spam projectiles. I agree on the Sword of seals being ranged. If Roy had custom moves, that would suit his style.

Deviruki

Smash Rookie
NNID
Deviruki.exe
Same here. The only one I'm having issues with though is Link; if I get past his projectiles I get grabbed thanks to that new buff of his...

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
  • 3 stock Roy vs. 1 stock Sheik
  • Sheik won
If it was timed, you had no one to blame. You could have easily done retreating Fair/Bair/Nair and Dash into Shield.

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
  • 3 stock Roy vs. 1 stock Sheik
  • Sheik won
If it was timed, you had no one to blame. You could have easily done retreating Fair/Bair/Nair and Dash into Shield.
I know it was my fault for losing to that..I was just wondering what I couldve done if it wasnt a scenario like that?

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Well to provide an answer to the question. Roy is kind of weak on options that he can use vs Sheik's needles in particular. He doesn't have anything that works that isn't really generic to the rest of the cast.

What Roy CAN do is stay in a range at which the needles aren't as much of a problem. He actually fares pretty well vs Sheik at his maximum range. You can outspace Sheik with a lot of your moves which have great disjoints. So my advice in this matchup is just stay really close without getting so close that Sheik can hurt you, unless you're comboing or something.

Zephil

Smash Ace
Agree with Gawain,

The best option is to space correctly against Sheik and maintain a distance no more than 3-4 characters from her. With this spacing you have available most of your options to punish any mistakes she makes and throwing needles from that distance will be a mistake.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
If you're playing online especially with people where you don't know where they're from, first you should probably stop doing that to assess what it is you are doing wrong. Try to play people locally ideally, or at least closeby, on Smashladder or something. Honestly for Roy you want to see within a close range of your opponent so that they will be at too much risk to use projectiles which you could easily punish. If they catch you at a distance, take advantage of platforms and use your shield to regain ground (easier said than done sometimes, yes).

Roy is a pressure character, you gotta be nicely spaced out so that they can't keep you away with projectiles while also staying at the edge of your range on nair/jab until you create your opening and can go in for a grab or fair or something of the sort which you can convert into other moves that end with your opponent above you or offstage.

Zio~

The Underdog
NNID
Fabri1794
3DS FC
3711-9383-8936
On one hand I can definitely see Roy being nerfed due to all the un-deserved complaining from a lot of players... but on the other, Nintendo would be nerfing a character people PAYED for, and that's just ********.

Then again Nintendo has been ******** for a long time now.
I did read that they take the data from online matches, and since getting kills with Roy is easy as hell, then they probably think Roy needs to be nerf, and I do hope so, I personaly don't like using a character that is overused :)

Top Bottom