• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Haha no i don't mind people talking about his flaws either, it's just the same cycle of too much negativity over and over again.
all we need is uhm... ... ... ...

"Yu luv mi? i luv mi too!"
Accept Roui as your lord and savior. Give him your love. And he will promise you eternal happiness... for himself
Animu!Roui lolol <3

Also, I completely agree with the above sentiments about the negativity. I personally feel a lot of optimism towards him, and I feel like a lot of his potential hasn't been unlocked yet. Locuan posted some very interesting gfys earlier that make me want to lab with those options to see what we might be able to do.

Not to metion, I think we haven't optimized our combo breaking yet, which is more tough since we're a fast-faller character, but definitely doable, since we have some interesting body hitboxes.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

Soooo looks like ZeRo finally made a 1.1.4. buffs patch for Roy! It's about time! It's good to see that he isn't in the "ROY'S BEST SWORDSMAN AMG" boat anymore and made a rather objective analysis this time.

What do you guys think? Do you agree with him?
Hate to say it, but I agree with him :(

The problem Roy has is just to much endlag on some of his moves and just no SH auto cancel's meaning he can't play a pressure/rushdown character. And also, like ZeRo said, while Roy's grab game is good, if it was improved upon (i.e. more hitsun/combos better at high percents) it would help him just that little bit more.

:135:

~Chomp

Smash Cadet
Sorry for not posting in FOREVER lol. Been spending most of my time on Discord.
I'll just be using here to put up walls of text/tech every once in a while.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yeah comment sections are usually bad, i agree :p buuuuut.

I wish people would stop caring about other people's opinions on Roy. I just see a negativity feedback loop, usually coming from Roys themselves. Or, I see them talking about the negative things other people say about Roy and then they get demotivated. While it sucks that we have no top players YET (emphasis lol) and people are negative, we shouldn't care too much about what random people say. This is the internet and people post whatever they want and it can usually be negative even though they have no idea what they're talking about. People are gonna bash Roy and that's how it will be for a while. And maybe forever? who knows? We just shouldn't care.

Them bashing on him doesn't suddenly make him weaker. Use this to motivate yourself to prove them wrong. People need to stop this cycle of reading bad comments and then hyperfocusing on the negativity to the point that it becomes demotivating. And it's us that has to stop, random people not in our community posting bad comments isn't something we can really do anything about. Our Roy community can at least put a stop to hyperfocusing on the negativity among ourselves, and have our social spaces be a more positive environment for learning Roy lol.

I'm not getting demotivated but it's a bit annoying to see people within the Roy community constantly talking about the negativity that others spread. I'm not mad at anyone but c'mon guys, can it stop already?
I couldn't agree any more with this. How can we even imagine Roy returning to next game if all around him is just negativity or indifference to the character, both from casual and competitive audience? (Mostly in West, anyway)

In whole though, a lot here being demotivated by maining Roy or developing him because the petty hate and like is actually go tournaments (while not being even bottom tier) because the vocal minorities got so damn loud?

For the above, I think it's time that we stopped taking things so granted here regarding the character and his current playability in the game in favor of acceptance from other communities, and now work on him on our stead. We're still possessing an opportunity to develop Roy's meta here headstart from most of the competitive folk, especially if going by how most top-players just use him as a secondary and Roy isn't seemingly gonna be a character keenly explored by most- and if possibly upon finding something good or optimal ways to play him, might pull off names in significant tournament names and gain him new-found awareness.

Personally, I'd be completely fine with him being mid-tier in the game, really. That'd be a significant jump from his poor status to more middle-road one.

Hate to say it, but I agree with him :(

The problem Roy has is just to much endlag on some of his moves and just no SH auto cancel's meaning he can't play a pressure/rushdown character. And also, like ZeRo said, while Roy's grab game is good, if it was improved upon (i.e. more hitsun/combos better at high percents) it would help him just that little bit more.

Does then the weird mix of Roy being "spacing/pressure rushdown" traits affecting his moves break Roy down to undeveloping mess, just like Duck Hunt with their wonky rushdown/turtling playstyle which ultimately ruined the character due the way moves got designed around it?

I again hope this is actually more a opportunity for a niche or a playstyle that we could try uncovering instead of applying him to the methods and playstyles other characters excel at.

Last edited:

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
To be honest, I'm just happy we have Roy in the game at all. As for his viability though, I stand that he's mid tier, but we'll see how he evolves in the meta.

Serew

Smash Apprentice
I couldn't agree any more with this. How can we even imagine Roy returning to next game if all around him is just negativity or indifference to the character, both from casual and competitive audience? (Mostly in West, anyway)

In whole though, a lot here being demotivated by maining Roy or developing him because the petty hate and like is actually go tournaments (while not being even bottom tier) because the vocal minorities got so damn loud?

For the above, I think it's time that we stopped taking things so granted here regarding the character and his current playability in the game in favor of acceptance from other communities, and now work on him on our stead. We're still possessing an opportunity to develop Roy's meta here headstart from most of the competitive folk, especially if going by how most top-players just use him as a secondary and Roy isn't seemingly gonna be a character keenly explored by most- and if possibly upon finding something good or optimal ways to play him, might pull off names in significant tournament names and gain him new-found awareness.

Personally, I'd be completely fine with him being mid-tier in the game, really. That'd be a significant jump from his poor status to more middle-road one.

Does then the weird mix of Roy being "spacing/pressure rushdown" traits affecting his moves break Roy down to undeveloping mess, just like Duck Hunt with their wonky rushdown/turtling playstyle which ultimately ruined the character due the way moves got designed around it?

I again hope this is actually more a opportunity for a niche or a playstyle that we could try uncovering instead of applying him to the methods and playstyles other characters excel at.

Thanks for this. I agree :) I feel like we'll just have to rely on some of the dedicated mains to show them the light haha. I know that there are some working on it and i am doing that myself as well. It's just a bit too bad that most high level Roys (as far as they're high level) aren't really working here with us and are just not really there on smashboards/discord. But yeah, that only means that those that are active have to do it. And i'm sure, even with how little people we have, we can do it :D

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

Wait, what do you mean? I just said what I said cause that's what I feel Roy needs to be top tier. Though tbh, even if his one ever gets to around Toon Link or Pit's level, then I would be happy with him. That is a very nice spot. Not to bad but not OP broken. Also, you should take my word for many things since I'm a pretty big srucb (hell, I've never fought anyone or even played online)

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Thanks for this. I agree :) I feel like we'll just have to rely on some of the dedicated mains to show them the light haha. I know that there are some working on it and i am doing that myself as well. It's just a bit too bad that most high level Roys (as far as they're high level) aren't really working here with us and are just not really there on smashboards/discord. But yeah, that only means that those that are active have to do it. And i'm sure, even with how little people we have, we can do it :D
I think we have the dedicated people here to build the meta, we just have to keep building our fundamentals. Call me a hopeless optimist, but I think we'll get there. :D

I watched ZeRo's analysis recently.

He knows little to nothing about the character and spreads a lot of misconceptions and incorrect info. You can see this in his play as well, so why are Roy mains eating up his opinions without testing things themselves or looking into the character's kit or frame data. He has a strong punish game, a lot off grabs, and a lot that's safe on shield. He doesn't have to commit if he doesn't want to, he really shouldn't fear or lose to shield in neutral. If people utilized him correctly, maybe they'd know this.

Btw he's solo viable. The people who think he's not are ones who don't win tournaments with other characters to begin with, or ones who don't even try to use him at nationals or don't even play at nationals, so I'm not inclined to believe them.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440

He knows little to nothing about the character and spreads a lot of misconceptions and incorrect info. You can see this in his play as well, so why are Roy mains eating up his opinions without testing things themselves or looking into the character's kit or frame data. He has a strong punish game, a lot off grabs, and a lot that's safe on shield. He doesn't have to commit if he doesn't want to, he really shouldn't fear or lose to shield in neutral. If people utilized him correctly, maybe they'd know this.

Btw he's solo viable. The people who think he's not are ones who don't win tournaments with other characters to begin with, or ones who don't even try to use him at nationals or don't even play at nationals, so I'm not inclined to believe them.
About to head off for the evening, so I can't stay and chat now, but glad to see you around again. o/

I think Roy has a lot of untapped potential, and I honestly dunno where he can go results-wise with strong representation. I'll continue to play and build fundamentals, and hopefully I or other strong Roy mains here will be able to show what he can do in the long run lol. That seems like the best option to me.

Last edited:
About to head off for the evening, so I can't stay and chat now, but glad to see you around again. o/

I think Roy has a lot of untapped potential, and I honestly dunno where he can go results-wise with strong representation. I'll continue to play and build fundamentals, and hopefully I or other strong Roy mains here will be able to show what he can do in the long run lol. That seems like the best option to me.
I've been trucking, I'm in a rut lately and disappointed I can't go to something Saturday, but there's a lot of opportunities in the future.

I'm surprised I've been missed, but I'm glad. I'm kind of a **** which is why I'm surprised, especially in my return message.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I'm surprised I've been missed, but I'm glad. I'm kind of a **** which is why I'm surprised, especially in my return message.
Wat, that's not true. And I'm always glad to hear from you as well. And while you're here, LET'S PARTY!!

We need to play each other again sometime. Since I've been going to tourneys and smashfests my Roy's been leveling up... well, veeery slowly, but I'm getting there. I'm just happy that I'm getting more comfortable playing in tourneys as nerves have always been a big problem I need to tackle.

And I was going to write about something that's been on my mind in regards to Roy and competitive Smash but I really should start on this assignment since it's like 2:30 am here... Times like this make me wish I like coffee or energy drinks *le sigh*

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

Oh, I understand. What I meant was while ZeRo isn't the know it all of Smash and never will be, I was just saying while Roy does have a lot of good things going for him, other characters also have what Roy does but better and personal I think that is Roy's problem. He can do these things, but other characters and just do them better. And really, he only just needs so speed (and possible power) buffs here and there and then that becomes obsolete.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
He doesn't have to commit if he doesn't want to, he really shouldn't fear or lose to shield in neutral. If people utilized him correctly, maybe they'd know this.
Most characters have to commit (ZSS for example is a highly committal top tier) to succeed. If he doesn't have to commit at all he's playing in one of the (fairly numerous) match ups in which he is outranges them or they have slow frame data. Yet he still has a highly committal dash to shield (the worst class in the game) and only neutral air as a rising aerial with a semblance of non commitment (nor a dash attack or special move). And actually, he should be fearing shield in neutral, at least in the match ups where he's outranged otherwise as he cannot keep up the attrition of neutral with just his flub/tipper hits when he loses the trade heavily (against almost everyone who can) and can just as easily be outranged (and gets little reward out of of hitting with them), for Roy to combat this he has to commit to getting closer with his sweet spots.

What is your definition of solo viable?
Roy has volatile match ups in this game due to his design and it's your choice to deal with the difficult ones where the risk/reward is in your opponent's favour. Nothing's unwinnable. But that's just a very common factor of most characters in this cast.
If you were referring to how the general Roy player should not be a wuss and not blame their character rather than their skill level, you could've worded it a lot better (and you'd be right).

... but does attendance at a national means you understand a lot about the game??? You have results at nationals and do well regionally?
Otherwise I hope you just aren't plugging your ears with wool, because being unwilling to believe an opinion unless they're pulling national results with the character is daft (and you could be waiting a while for such a thing).

Roy is a very hard character to maximise his abilities with. His potential has not been tapped completely but there are many plain to see issues that the player has to work hard to get around.
To actually push this character involves accepting those faults exist.

Last edited:

Serew

Smash Apprentice
Honestly i've given up on trying to listen to most peoples opinions on Roy. I'll just go my own path using him and then i'll see. The whole good/bad debate is just endless anyways. Better to just find out how far he can go on your own honestly :p i think very positive of the character compared to most i suppose. People spread missinformation and ofc I don't know everything. But i'm basically just doing this from scratch cause MOST opinions at this point are just useless arguements :| (This isn't only from Royboards but from what i've also read at other places) I see some bad points about Roy being accurate, some good ones being accurate. But also some problems just coming from people not being experieced enough and others believing those points. It's a mess because we have no real pro Roy :p We have some Roys with good results but those are mainly fundamentally good (which obviously is most important at Roy) But yeah, I think i'll just try staying away from these endless discussions about his viability at this point. I've stated my opinion enough times haha :p

Now for a fun question: What is your favorite Roy victory screen and taunt? Sliding side taunt is top tier IMO And for victory pose:

I really like the one with his sword behind his back (unsheathed) too though.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Roy is a very hard character to maximise his abilities with. His potential has not been tapped completely but there are many plain to see issues that the player has to work hard to get around.
I don't know about the others, but it seems to me, here and other places, that when Roy comes up in conversation, the immediate fashion is to start going after his flaws. Endlessly, and on repeat. This thread is actually a perfect example, but it doesn't just happen here. I hear it from friends, practice partners, and my smash mentors as well. Endlessly, and on repeat. Again, I can't speak for the others, but for me, I know quite well and accept that Roy has flaws that have to be worked around.

But there's a point at which it clicks over from educating us about the flaws of our character, to just...rubbing our noses in it. Hyper-focusing on the negative until it crushes all positive conversation, and all hope, in using Roy, and that's when it starts becoming unacceptable. This thread in particular, which is supposed to be a sort of safe haven for Roy mains, has spent the past few pages trying to escape that cycle and focus on more positive and productive conversation on Roy (even if some of the topics are a bit goofy lol). But it keeps coming up, endlessly and on repeat, especially from the repeat posters. I kinda just want to talk about something other than Roy's flaws as a character, and what buffs I would dream of Roy having to make him a better character lol.

EDIT: Upon re-read, this post came off quite a bit harsher than I intended it; I'm sorry for that. :( It's just, this topic has been dominating this thread for the past several pages, and time-wise, since before the last patch. I understand and accept Roy's flaws, but I also see that he's an under-developed character. If we want to see him developed, we need to stop worrying so much about his flaws, and start practicing our way around them. Start approaching Roy constructively, instead of destructively. Learning SDI to mitigate combos, using our sourspots for setting up combos and kills, learning match-ups, and having fun. :) That's what I think we should be focusing on.

Now for a fun question: What is your favorite Roy victory screen and taunt? Sliding side taunt is top tier IMO And for victory pose:

I would agree, sliding Boku Wa Makenai is S tier, especially when he seems to twirl in his animation.

I've been trucking, I'm in a rut lately and disappointed I can't go to something Saturday, but there's a lot of opportunities in the future.

Of course we missed you lol. If you're stuck in a rut and not really doing anything this Sunday, maybe competing in the character tournament with the Ganondorfs this Sunday at 3 pm eastern would suit you? Some pretty serious Ganondorf mains have already signed up and more are likely to, so this will definitely be an interesting tournament lol, and we could really use more serious Roys signing up.

Rules Sheet: Click Here
Current Roster (unsorted): Click Here

To explain the way the tournament works, you sign up for a side (Roy or Ganondorf), and you have to play that character in matches lol. Each player will play 4 bo3 sets, and will be matched with opponents from the opposite team based on their win/loss ratio in previous sets (so you'll be matched with players of similar skill as you).

Last edited:
Wat, that's not true. And I'm always glad to hear from you as well. And while you're here, LET'S PARTY!!

We need to play each other again sometime. Since I've been going to tourneys and smashfests my Roy's been leveling up... well, veeery slowly, but I'm getting there. I'm just happy that I'm getting more comfortable playing in tourneys as nerves have always been a big problem I need to tackle.

And I was going to write about something that's been on my mind in regards to Roy and competitive Smash but I really should start on this assignment since it's like 2:30 am here... Times like this make me wish I like coffee or energy drinks *le sigh*
Let me know when you're free and we can set up a time to play.

Oh, I understand. What I meant was while ZeRo isn't the know it all of Smash and never will be, I was just saying while Roy does have a lot of good things going for him, other characters also have what Roy does but better and personal I think that is Roy's problem. He can do these things, but other characters and just do them better. And really, he only just needs so speed (and possible power) buffs here and there and then that becomes obsolete.

I do certainly feel he's outright outclassed by certain characters, but it's not too bad, since he's still potent.

I won't let people keep saying Ike or Marth's one of them, though.

Most characters have to commit (ZSS for example is a highly committal top tier) to succeed. If he doesn't have to commit at all he's playing in one of the (fairly numerous) match ups in which he is outranges them or they have slow frame data. Yet he still has a highly committal dash to shield (the worst class in the game) and only neutral air as a rising aerial with a semblance of non commitment (nor a dash attack or special move). And actually, he should be fearing shield in neutral, at least in the match ups where he's outranged otherwise as he cannot keep up the attrition of neutral with just his flub/tipper hits when he loses the trade heavily (against almost everyone who can) and can just as easily be outranged (and gets little reward out of of hitting with them), for Roy to combat this he has to commit to getting closer with his sweet spots.

What is your definition of solo viable?
Roy has volatile match ups in this game due to his design and it's your choice to deal with the difficult ones where the risk/reward is in your opponent's favour. Nothing's unwinnable. But that's just a very common factor of most characters in this cast.
If you were referring to how the general Roy player should not be a wuss and not blame their character rather than their skill level, you could've worded it a lot better (and you'd be right).

... but does attendance at a national means you understand a lot about the game??? You have results at nationals and do well regionally?
Otherwise I hope you just aren't plugging your ears with wool, because being unwilling to believe an opinion unless they're pulling national results with the character is daft (and you could be waiting a while for such a thing).

He has important faults, certainly, but there's a lot of misconceptions on his faults, and people fall into negativity and give into it.

I believe solo viable means no unwinnables, so I definitely agree on that.
I don't know if most characters are similar, but I highly doubt it unless mid-tier and above are most of the cast.
I feel he has a decent amount of 40/60's, it just requires that push and there's better characters to play is all.
I just feel he's at least mid-tier, a very solid pick, and people often treat him as a bottom of the barrel pick.
He's a potent high-tier, too.

I said he doesn't have to commit if he doesn't truly want to, meaning you can safely poke and use movement until you decide the risk of committing is worth it and scope out your opponent and your options vs. them a bit.
I should have clarified, but I tried to keep things short, and it wouldn't really matter unless someone was curious.
He has exemplary movement and great pokes, a lot of Roy mains try to swing too often or swing at air a lot more often than they should.

I still don't feel he has to truly fear shield. I'll have to get some sets in soon and showcase a lot on how I treat shield, then post them here. Sethlon iirc is good at this, but I'll have to double check.
I'm traveling atm, so it'll be a project I work on when I'm home.

I probably am plugging my ears with wool, but I'm not too ashamed to admit it.
I guess it's just irritability with how quick Roy mains have been to give up on their character for a long time, and a way to poke them into trying to get something done rather than letting them put up a mask or facade where they act like they're working hard but don't have the drive to win and don't actually want to win.

If people get results or travel to try and win nationally, they much more often have that drive to win, so I can respect what they have to say more than people with no conviction who constantly put down their character.
I'm fine waiting on them.
I do great regionally, where I'm generally top 8 and sometimes top 2/3 or 5 in 60-110+ tournaments, though I admit the last time I played nationally was both late 2014 and early 2015, when I was much less skilled and placed very poorly.
Even my regional results aren't something to be too proud of, I need to keep pushing and win a tournament with Roy and play nationally again as soon as I can.
I want to show people some things, motivate some Roy mains, and show those damned Back Room members a thing or two.
Money's my obstacle, but I still have a lot of room to grind and improve without it, and I go to stuff when I can.

I can respect what players like Serew say, because he actually works for it and stays honest to his goals.
He's filtered out the important and unimportant, and I clearly haven't by going into this so much, but it's something I have to work on and I'm pretty far into this already.

Honestly i've given up on trying to listen to most peoples opinions on Roy. I'll just go my own path using him and then i'll see. The whole good/bad debate is just endless anyways. Better to just find out how far he can go on your own honestly :p i think very positive of the character compared to most i suppose. People spread missinformation and ofc I don't know everything. But i'm basically just doing this from scratch cause MOST opinions at this point are just useless arguements :| (This isn't only from Royboards but from what i've also read at other places) I see some bad points about Roy being accurate, some good ones being accurate. But also some problems just coming from people not being experieced enough and others believing those points. It's a mess because we have no real pro Roy :p We have some Roys with good results but those are mainly fundamentally good (which obviously is most important at Roy) But yeah, I think i'll just try staying away from these endless discussions about his viability at this point. I've stated my opinion enough times haha :p

Down taunt is borderline high/top tier, but the other taunts have better frame data.

Personally I like the victory screen in Melee when B's held down most.

I don't know about the others, but it seems to me, here and other places, that when Roy comes up in conversation, the immediate fashion is to start going after his flaws. Endlessly, and on repeat. This thread is actually a perfect example, but it doesn't just happen here. I hear it from friends, practice partners, and my smash mentors as well. Endlessly, and on repeat. Again, I can't speak for the others, but for me, I know quite well and accept that Roy has flaws that have to be worked around.

But there's a point at which it clicks over from educating us about the flaws of our character, to just...rubbing our noses in it. Hyper-focusing on the negative until it crushes all positive conversation, and all hope, in using Roy, and that's when it starts becoming unacceptable. This thread in particular, which is supposed to be a sort of safe haven for Roy mains, has spent the past few pages trying to escape that cycle and focus on more positive and productive conversation on Roy (even if some of the topics are a bit goofy lol). But it keeps coming up, endlessly and on repeat, especially from the repeat posters. I kinda just want to talk about something other than Roy's flaws as a character, and what buffs I would dream of Roy having to make him a better character lol.

EDIT: Upon re-read, this post came off quite a bit harsher than I intended it; I'm sorry for that. :( It's just, this topic has been dominating this thread for the past several pages, and time-wise, since before the last patch. I understand and accept Roy's flaws, but I also see that he's an under-developed character. If we want to see him developed, we need to stop worrying so much about his flaws, and start practicing our way around them. Start approaching Roy constructively, instead of destructively. Learning SDI to mitigate combos, using our sourspots for setting up combos and kills, learning match-ups, and having fun. :) That's what I think we should be focusing on.

I would agree, sliding Boku Wa Makenai is S tier, especially when he seems to twirl in his animation.

Of course we missed you lol. If you're stuck in a rut and not really doing anything this Sunday, maybe competing in the character tournament with the Ganondorfs this Sunday at 3 pm eastern would suit you? Some pretty serious Ganondorf mains have already signed up and more are likely to, so this will definitely be an interesting tournament lol, and we could really use more serious Roys signing up.

Rules Sheet: Click Here
Current Roster (unsorted): Click Here

To explain the way the tournament works, you sign up for a side (Roy or Ganondorf), and you have to play that character in matches lol. Each player will play 4 bo3 sets, and will be matched with opponents from the opposite team based on their win/loss ratio in previous sets (so you'll be matched with players of similar skill as you).
It's the Melee boards all over again.

We need to get the "Roy can't do it because _____" topic the hell out of here, it's probably driven a lot of people away from the social.

Your post didn't come off harsh, you said what needed to be said.

I'm getting so tired of the negativity, I just want to see people having fun and trying to win, but it seems like too much to ask for.

I might discuss my thoughts on FE: Birthright later, I'm overall positive on the game.
I'd rather be goofy and avoid discussion of Roy at all until there's a better time to discuss him than steer things in a negative direction yet again.

I'll probably try to shut down negativity when it pops up, and if people don't listen, I have no qualms hitting that ignore button on anyone to make it easier.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yo we might be hearing about the Roy Amiibo in today's Direct which means we'll finally get to hear English Roy.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I might discuss my thoughts on FE: Birthright later, I'm overall positive on the game.
I got the Special Edition version, and am starting on Conquest (about half way through now). Will do Birthright, then Revelation afterwards. Overall, I'm extremely happy with the gameplay, and I feel like the game balancing is on point. The different map objectives are interesting, though I did go with normal/classic since it was my first playthrough, which was too easy for me (kiiiiinda....rofl-stomping my way through the game lol). I heard Hard/Classic was pretty challenging, though, so I look forward to playing the game again on a harder difficulty setting. The story is kinda meh, though I won't go too in detail on why, I will say this: the way they tell the story makes Corrin seem kinda...not smart lol.

Also, good taste in avatars lol. Silas is awesome. :) Did you know he's the same voice actor for Pit?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Right.

I'm honestly in a different mindset to the average smasher with this. I've been smashing competitively for almost a decade (and if I include my dedication to online 64, even longer), I care more about pushing characters than worrying about what's there.
I'm also not apart of the discords or other regular streams of conversation where such negativity is contagious and dangerous to people not above that.

It's the passion for a character that allows them to grow, and that's what Roy needs - passionate players advancing things at both a practical and mental level (usually the mental comes first). So as I don't really care about the social dynamics people are attached to, if there is mass exodus because people cannot take the heat (and heck, are these people going to tournaments? If they're not I don't really care about their complaints either) I'm the more traditional "good riddance" advocate.
More voices =/= better character, it's always been about individual. Always.

People are afraid of fear or the intangible, people's results in their particular scopes (oft just wifi or playing with friends) were not going to be much different whether or not there was a Roy with great success. Players would shrug off these things if the dynamic was any different (heck if you play Sheik and have any complaints, you see real anger from outsiders but olive vines/understanding from her other mains). I main[ed] and pushed Zero Suit from a very early start point, I enjoyed learning her weaknesses just as much as her strengths, conquering her weaknesses came from the boiling pot of difficulty and loss at tournament level. At the start I thought ZSS was top 5, and there I was in a situation (Sky's house, early 2015) where I was surrounded by essentially all the best players (including Nairo) telling me "she's good but not that good" "roughly top 15", "has a terrible neutral" "can't deal with shields" "such a bad grab" "still has triple jump glitch" - I gave no ****s asides from triple jump/RCO; I have PTSD from Marth in Brawl because to me I love working with characters with great strengths and having to adjust them to the weaknesses they have is glorious - challenge is essential to keeping me interested.
Dreaming of buffs can be just as dangerous, and focusing on it as the anti-negative is.. icky
I at least do it as a reflection of understanding what "works" or is apart of their game plan but is not as rewarding as I would like it to be. Practicality wise I either look for alternatives knowing those aren't as rewarding or be even better at using those things to make the risk less and the reward more consistent as that is likely still essential.
So EnGarde EnGarde , if that was your harsh, I think you'll be fineeeeeee with me.

While negativity is bad, the weaknesses have to always be on your mind. At least to me where having them on my mind means thinking about how to circumvent them. I believe there are things on Roy currently not really worth attempting to circumvent (match up wise only) but that's as a national (sometimes international) competing player.
I'm not going to support people being naive nor ignorant.

----

tl;dr If you need to give an ultimatum to the hang ons that have no interest in providing contribution to this character in any way shape or form (and would probably find more enjoyment playing someone else), so those who remain are in a more stable environment they can advance in, it's time to stop being weak-willed about it.

P.S. Marth went through this transition period in this game~
And I could only imagine how things went with Little Mac.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Just watched Nintendo direct.

It was ****

THE **** NINTENDO?! WHEN THE HELL WILL EUROPE AND AUSTRALIA GE THE ****ING RELEASE DATE FOR FATES?!?!? ARGH!!!

I do certainly feel he's outright outclassed by certain characters, but it's not too bad, since he's still potent.

I won't let people keep saying Ike or Marth's one of them, though.
True true.

I cause a positive is that it's good to understand the negatives of a characters so that you can try to overcome them and play to their strengths.

Serew

Smash Apprentice
Right.

I'm honestly in a different mindset to the average smasher with this. I've been smashing competitively for almost a decade (and if I include my dedication to online 64, even longer), I care more about pushing characters than worrying about what's there.
I'm also not apart of the discords or other regular streams of conversation where such negativity is contagious and dangerous to people not above that.

It's the passion for a character that allows them to grow, and that's what Roy needs - passionate players advancing things at both a practical and mental level (usually the mental comes first). So as I don't really care about the social dynamics people are attached to, if there is mass exodus because people cannot take the heat (and heck, are these people going to tournaments? If they're not I don't really care about their complaints either) I'm the more traditional "good riddance" advocate.

People are afraid of fear or the intangible, people's results in their particular scopes (oft just wifi or playing with friends) were not going to be much different whether or not there was a Roy with great success. Players would shrug off these things if the dynamic was any different (heck if you play Sheik and have any complaints, you see real anger from outsiders but olive vines/understanding from her other mains). I main[ed] and pushed Zero Suit from a very early start point, I enjoyed learning her weaknesses just as much as her strengths, conquering her weaknesses came from the boiling pot of difficulty and loss at tournament level. At the start I thought ZSS was top 5, and there I was in a situation (Sky's house, early 2015) where I was surrounded by essentially all the best players (including Nairo) telling me "she's good but not that good" "roughly top 15", "has a terrible neutral" "can't deal with shields" "such a bad grab" "still has triple jump glitch" - I gave no ****s asides from triple jump/RCO; I have PTSD from Marth in Brawl because to me I love working with characters with great strengths and having to adjust them to the weaknesses they have is glorious - challenge is essential to keeping me interested.
Dreaming of buffs can be just as dangerous, and focusing on it as the anti-negative is.. icky
I at least do it as a reflection of understanding what "works" or is apart of their game plan but is not as rewarding as I would like it to be. Practicality wise I either look for alternatives knowing those aren't as rewarding or be even better at using those things to make the risk less and the reward more consistent as that is likely still essential.
So EnGarde EnGarde , if that was your harsh, I think you'll be fineeeeeee with me.

While negativity is bad, the weaknesses have to always be on your mind. At least to me where having them on my mind means thinking about how to circumvent them. I believe there are things on Roy currently not really worth attempting to circumvent (match up wise only) but that's as a national (sometimes international) competing player.

----

tl;dr If you need to give an ultimatum to the hang ons that have no interest in providing contribution to this character in any way shape or form (and would probably find more enjoyment playing someone else), so those who remain are in a more stable environment they can advance in, it's time to stop being weak-willed about it.

Haha yeah on the whole passionate player thing. I can't say i've seen many honestly :p It's just always "Secondary" or "i like playing him" or "i main him but i'm not sure yet" Been keeping an eye for them though! trying to keep in touch with them :D Too bad some of us can't get as much stream exposure cause either we have less streams or just less popular streams :/

Just watched Nintendo direct.

It was ****

THE **** NINTENDO?! WHEN THE HELL WILL EUROPE AND AUSTRALIA GE THE ****ING RELEASE DATE FOR FATES?!?!? ARGH!!!
20th May? that's what it said in the dutch stream atleast. so whole EU should have it at that point.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
20th May? that's what it said in the dutch stream atleast. so whole EU should have it at that point.

*checks nintendo Aus twitter account*

Oh, so it (well, 21st at least, cause timezones). Must have been said at the start or something. I miss most of the start.

Now the really questions is, Zelda 3ds XL or Fates 3ds XL?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I just hope the Roy Amiibo coming out in 2 weeks we'll be compatible with the games I mentioned before. I want to see Roy speak in English dammit!

Serew

Smash Apprentice
I just hope the Roy Amiibo coming out in 2 weeks we'll be compatible with the games I mentioned before. I want to see Roy speak in English dammit!
18th of march most likely! no confirmed compatibility outside of smash, but we'll see. i just want my boy on my shelf :3

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
18th of march most likely! no confirmed compatibility outside of smash, but we'll see. i just want my boy on my shelf :3
Would suck if that were the case seeing as all the other FE characters are compatible with the games and Roy isn't.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Right.

----

I know I'm not going anywhere lol, my big difference in opinion comes from the fact that, for me, Smash is primarily a social game. It isn't like Mario or FE Fates, a game that you mostly play by yourself and occasionally play with friends. It's a game you mostly play with other people and occasionally play by yourself lol. So, the people that you chat smash with most frequently will influence how you see the game, how you choose to interact with it, and with your friends, and of course, what characters you play as lol. The Discord communities are mostly all super chill, and are active enough that these kinds of conversations come up and blow over fairly quickly. And because of the high level of interaction, you do have more organic ways of finding new tech and whatnot. Like, Serew Serew knew about the crouch thing for a long time, but in showing me how to do this as a joke move, we noticed that it actually gave us a lot of extra slide movement than expected, thus allowing us to find and explore a new movement option. Maybe that movement option is sub-optimal, but now that we know about it, we can explore it. That's where talking and chatting and being productive as friends comes into play. The thing that was notable in this situation of negativity was that it's been pages and pages lol. Anywho, I do see your points about ignoring what other people say, though. Just gotta keep being our awesome selves lol.

---

Continuing the amiibo discussion, I do hope they'll add functionality to Fates, but even if they don't, I'm happy, because I was actually able to pre-order Roy (unlike Marth, Lucina, or Pit smh), so even if he isn't compatible with any other game but Smash, I'll still have the amiibo to sit happily on my shelf lol.

I got the Special Edition version, and am starting on Conquest (about half way through now). Will do Birthright, then Revelation afterwards. Overall, I'm extremely happy with the gameplay, and I feel like the game balancing is on point. The different map objectives are interesting, though I did go with normal/classic since it was my first playthrough, which was too easy for me (kiiiiinda....rofl-stomping my way through the game lol). I heard Hard/Classic was pretty challenging, though, so I look forward to playing the game again on a harder difficulty setting. The story is kinda meh, though I won't go too in detail on why, I will say this: the way they tell the story makes Corrin seem kinda...not smart lol.

Also, good taste in avatars lol. Silas is awesome. :) Did you know he's the same voice actor for Pit?
Never knew since I actually turned the voice acting off immediately after the prologue, it really helped with immersion and overall focus. I'll probably roflstomp as well because I planned my party to immense detail due to Amazon delays, and my preparation for runs and maps has always been on-point. I'll pull a Markyjoe now and then where by all odds I'll break FE by accident and abuse whatever happened.

I heard Birthright focuses more on story and characters, and it's more traditional in the "good rebels vs. bad kingdom, earn empathizers" sense for Fire Emblem.

I have a pretty detailed spoiler-free write-up on Birthright here, it's reeeeeeeally long. It tackles similar ideas and gives perspective on the game from a veteran perspective.

Right.

----

Good stuff, I really enjoyed the read.

I'm going to keep what you've said on Zero Suit in mind whenever Roy comes to mind, and it'll help me push the character.

I really like the mentality on weaknesses vs. negativity and beneficial players vs. non-beneficial players, I'd like to think that way more in the future.

This might have been the push I needed to understand some things a lot better that I've been struggling with grasping.

Hopefully they can get Gilbert Godfried to voice him.

I might be down to play in the Discord tomorrow after work, depends how the day goes. I should have a much more clear head than the time I played friendlies twice on there and played poorly, my mind was on a reaaaaaaaaaaally bad breakup I'm still a bit damaged from and I noticed myself doing some really cringey things in my play when I watched replays.

I can't break up now, can I? :p

I'd love to get more involved and try to make myself more positive, I feel somewhat toxic and I feel it'd help me flush that out of my system a bit.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Never knew since I actually turned the voice acting off immediately after the prologue, it really helped with immersion and overall focus. I'll probably roflstomp as well because I planned my party to immense detail due to Amazon delays, and my preparation for runs and maps has always been on-point. I'll pull a Markyjoe now and then where by all odds I'll break FE by accident and abuse whatever happened.

I heard Birthright focuses more on story and characters, and it's more traditional in the "good rebels vs. bad kingdom, earn empathizers" sense for Fire Emblem.

I have a pretty detailed spoiler-free write-up on Birthright here, it's reeeeeeeally long. It tackles similar ideas and gives perspective on the game from a veteran perspective.

Good stuff, I really enjoyed the read.

I'm going to keep what you've said on Zero Suit in mind whenever Roy comes to mind, and it'll help me push the character.

I really like the mentality on weaknesses vs. negativity and beneficial players vs. non-beneficial players, I'd like to think that way more in the future.

This might have been the push I needed to understand some things a lot better that I've been struggling with grasping.

Hopefully they can get Gilbert Godfried to voice him.

I might be down to play in the Discord tomorrow after work, depends how the day goes. I should have a much more clear head than the time I played friendlies twice on there and played poorly, my mind was on a reaaaaaaaaaaally bad breakup I'm still a bit damaged from and I noticed myself doing some really cringey things in my play when I watched replays.

I can't break up now, can I? :p

I'd love to get more involved and try to make myself more positive, I feel somewhat toxic and I feel it'd help me flush that out of my system a bit.
If you're going to be around, I'd enjoy some matches with you then. I'm an average level player still working on my fundamentals, so the practice would be welcome. :)

If you're going to be around, I'd enjoy some matches with you then. I'm an average level player still working on my fundamentals, so the practice would be welcome. :)
Would you like to play tonight, actually? I'm in a smash mood after watching Jtails, his uploads and chill approach to both life and the game always make my day.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Right.

----

Whoa, that was amazing. Seriously, just, whoa!!!!

I feel inspired! And you know what? **** the negative comments! I'm going to play Roy and learn to deal with them. I'll learn to create a play style that takes advantage of his, well, advantages and learn to null his cons! No more whining. Time to Boy up!

I have a pretty detailed spoiler-free write-up on Birthright here, it's reeeeeeeally long. It tackles similar ideas and gives perspective on the game from a veteran perspective..
After this, it seems good that I still plan to get Fates! Seems like I will really enjoy it, particularly Birthright (since Awakening is my only other Fire Emblem game I've played)

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015

Whoa, that was amazing. Seriously, just, whoa!!!!

I feel inspired! And you know what? **** the negative comments! I'm going to play Roy and learn to deal with them. I'll learn to create a play style that takes advantage of his, well, advantages and learn to null his cons! No more whining. Time to Boy up!

After this, it seems good that I still plan to get Fates! Seems like I will really enjoy it, particularly Birthright (since Awakening is my only other Fire Emblem game I've played)

I cringed. Sorry.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Would you like to play tonight, actually? I'm in a smash mood after watching Jtails, his uploads and chill approach to both life and the game always make my day.
ahhhh that was after midnight my time, and I had gone to bed. </3 Though, I am part hoothoot, so I am still around that late sometimes lol. Lmk when you're back, and we can play today lol. I'll probably get dinner sometime around 6-7, so if I'm gone around then, that'd be why.

Last edited:
ahhhh that was after midnight my time, and I had gone to bed. </3 Though, I am part hoothoot, so I am still around that late sometimes lol. Lmk when you're back, and we can play today lol. I'll probably get dinner sometime around 6-7, so if I'm gone around then, that'd be why.

I'm back. What a day.... I can't get on discord tonight, but I can handle matches through the smashboards inbox.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Isaac, Cloud, and Gohan all have the same hairstyle.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Wow updating the tourney results thread took longer than I imagined (like in total 3 hours), but hey, I don't mind inputting data. Did that for a living a few years ago~

So, to continue...

I originally joined my Smash scene because, well, I love the game and I wanted to take myself further, especially with the character I love to play as (spoilers: it's :4feroy:). Later on, my goal kinda shifted and I wanted compete in tourneys so Roy can get more results, hopefully making people acknowledge him more. Not that it's a bad thing to have such goal (results data is important to have too, and it could help push players), but I think I became too fixated on that. I was starting to worry that Roy needs more results asap... but why was I worrying? Are things a race? A race that Roy's losing? I had to take a step back, and then I realized we have all the time we need to develop Roy's meta and figure out his tier placement. And some things, such as tiers, will naturally change as the meta evolves too.

Results are important. But building a strong community that fosters character growth is important too, probably more so. I don't want to lose sight of my original goal, which is basically just getting out there and have fun playing Smash competitively. Plus being a part of and working for a great community; the social aspect is awesome as well.

I think every character gets **** on, especially on the internet where it's easier to be a jerk. Thing is, when I'm actually at my local, there are some that love it when I bring out Roy (or they just really like to shout "Roy's our boy!"... dunno which one is the truth lol. I swear no one chants for any other character...). And if I could make one person smile when I pull out my ****ty Roy, then I've done my job. Makes my day 100x brighter as well.

Even so, I do find myself asking, "Is it bad if a character is underrepresented and takes longer for their meta to develop? Especially compared to more popular characters that have noticeable players?"

Dunno really... I'm honestly pretty simple minded, which is why I was kinda surprised at myself for worrying too much about everything before.

I cringed. Sorry.
mfw I'm reading Shaya's posts

I kid, I kid. I <3 them all.

I main[ed] and pushed Zero Suit from a very early start point, I enjoyed learning her weaknesses just as much as her strengths, conquering her weaknesses came from the boiling pot of difficulty and loss at tournament level. At the start I thought ZSS was top 5, and there I was in a situation (Sky's house, early 2015) where I was surrounded by essentially all the best players (including Nairo) telling me "she's good but not that good" "roughly top 15", "has a terrible neutral" "can't deal with shields" "such a bad grab" "still has triple jump glitch" - I gave no ****s asides from triple jump/RCO; I have PTSD from Marth in Brawl because to me I love working with characters with great strengths and having to adjust them to the weaknesses they have is glorious - challenge is essential to keeping me interested.
This was actually really inspirational. Can't really say why in particular, maybe the overall story.

Certain challenges help me to keep interested as well. In Roy's case, a few weeks ago I played against a really good Pac-Man. Lost both sets, but I was still proud that I was improving by the second match and kinda figured out how to get past the projectile spam. The Pac-Man player gave me some advice after and asked my thoughts on the match. I was like, "Pac's a pretty fun character to watch". The guy then said something like, "Yeah, fun to watch. Playing against Pac is probably annoying as hell." But I told him that's not the case and I thought it was pretty fun trying to figure out the pattern to the projectile spam (and powershielding, got some good practice in) and how to break through to reach Pac. Everyone was like, "NOOO YOU HAVE THE WRONG MINDSET!!" just as a joke. But honestly, I have the same mindset for other projectile-spammy characters like Link.

I played against a really good Sonic and I thought I would be more flustered facing such character, but I was surprisingly calm. I had fun figuring out how to slow down the match to my pace and what moves work best in such match up. I was even thinking out loud at some points Embarrass lol. There's an aspect to Smash that feels like you're playing a mental puzzle... well, for lack of better term. Sounds kinda weird when I think about it.

tl;dr... ITT walls of text

Anyway, I HAVE FINALLY LEARNED ROY'S ULTIMATE TECH!!

Now I can show off my mad taunting skillz next tourney. :shades:

Last edited:

Serew

Smash Apprentice
character I love to play as (spoilers: it's :4feroy:). Later on, my goal kinda shifted and I wanted compete in tourneys so Roy can get more results, hopefully making people acknowledge him more. Not that it's a bad thing to have such goal (results data is important to have too, and it could help push players), but I think I became too fixated on that. I was starting to worry that Roy needs more results asap... but why was I worrying? Are things a race? A race that Roy's losing? I had to take a step back, and then I realized we have all the time we need to develop Roy's meta and figure out his tier placement. And some things, such as tiers, will naturally change as the meta evolves too.

Results are important. But building a strong community that fosters character growth is important too, probably more so. I don't want to lose sight of my original goal, which is basically just getting out there and have fun playing Smash competitively. Plus being a part of and working for a great community; the social aspect is awesome as well.
Yeah there's no reason to rush haha, honestly i had this kind of problem for a bit too. But trying to develop him as fast as possible only drags you down eventually, making it take longer.

On another note, i got 2/22 in doubles yesterday, again getting my exact seeded placement :p previously was 3/31 at another tournament which i was seeded for as well. This is under the teams of GGWP iStudying and gregs and S1-14 and Pika4life
Today the GGWP team wasn't there so we got seeded for 2nd, pretty cool tbh :D
In singles i got 17/65 where i lost a close set after my sour spot up air to blazer.. well... it didn't connect cause he somehow flew out of my first hit of blazer which would've killed :( (it wasn't reversed or the small hit above us so i have no idea what happened, those send straight up and this one sent in an angle.. couldn't save the replay sadly)
and then in game 3 i just straight up did a greedy blazer and blew the game... woops :p
stuff like that happens though.

I think Roy is good in doubles honestly. We're a team of Yoshi and Roy and we have no straight up gimmicks. (unlike the million clouds that there are now, we faced quite alot and only lost to the only top team who for some reason used cloud now too ._. but they had an advantage anyways with their mains so i didn't care as much.)
We just use combo's to do damage and use our good finishers :p
We play very aggresively which people seem to have trouble with. Only one team (under the usual top 2) has actually done really well against it. People seem to get overwhelmed all the time. I had to play a bit more defensively which did help out in the end :p

Anyways, That's it for now! :D

Top Bottom