• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Troykv

Smash Master
IS has taste again. This is good news. Ordering solely for that cover, everything else is a bonus. I'm guessing when making the art book, they saw that they made games other than just FE11/13 and suddenly remembered a lot. Hopefully this means good things coming.

I did a lot of research on sales, general fan reaction, polls, and reviews when justifying Roy for Smash 4, and from that:
  • FE7 sold incredibly well both in Japan and internationally. It was a risky first step in introducing Fire Emblem to international audiences, and some emphasis on helping international fans identify with Eliwood was made in 7 with Roy's introduction in Melee and Marth/Roy's similarities to him.
  • FE4 was one of the best-selling Fire Emblems. While it always was trumped by fellow SNES release New Mystery Emblem in sales, Intelligent Systems claimed FE4 was their best Fire Emblem title by far. It took huge steps in design and was an incredibly accomplished title compared to the first three games. It introduced a lot of quality to the series and advancement of the basics that made Fire Emblem truly stand out, and it's a nostalgic favorite pick for many fans of the series. It may be the most praised Fire Emblem by classic fans.

Jugdral and Elibe are some of the most rich and staple continents of the series, naturally excellent picks for the cover of an art book alongside Archanea. Eliwood and Sigurd are the best candidates to represent those two, and they have legacies beyond first glance. Both of them have sons who lead successful revolutions against impossible odds in stories that expand beyond their own after their time, both of them have palettes in Smash (Eliwood on Roy, Sigurd on Ike; in a way, Marth/Roy/Ike are on the cover; edit: oh hey Ike's on now), and both of them are the main characters of some of the most risky yet successful titles. They expand into much more than most will give them credit for. True Fire Emblem fans who are willing to throw in 3500 yen and up to around 800 in shipping will easily recognize and admire these characters and their inclusion at first glance.

This is a Japanese art book with no word on a translated/international release, and we can't forget that FE4 is a much bigger piece of Japan's history of the series than ours.

Truuuu, Sheik can't do anything if you get out of her easier kill range. Then she has to fish for fairs/dsmash rather than just fish for down throw, and becomes Roy without a sword.

Getting lucky with your own dsmash too also helps a lot.

Chrom and Lucina aren't necessarily large pieces of the history of the series compared to what we have so far, neither is Awakening. Ylisse is simply a one game deal that rides off Archanea's legacy in the far future, we'd more likely see Chrom/Lucina already if Awakening had a sequel (and thank god it doesn't) or significant generation split like Genealogy of the Holy War. Their popularity is easy to milk, that's all they have going for them. Kamui is even less significant than them. A game can sell and do well, but Marth/Eliwood/Sigurd/Ike are much more important heroes who hail from continents with rich lore and multiple games that have shaped the history of the series itself during its golden era. I hate the idea people spread around where Awakening and whatever other new FE stuff should be the definitive heads of the series when they have yet to prove themselves. Sales, being new, and popularity only matter if they act alongside other things that matter for the history of the series.

Marth/Ike/Chrom-only slapped on anything big for FE is Smash 4 pre-release speculation all over again, and I hated those times.

Awakening may have introduced many to Fire Emblem while selling well, but it failed to tie-in with a later title, it alienated and caused concern for many classic fans of the series, and the excuse "Awakening saved the series" fails to sell me when the series has been "saved" multiple times, Jugdral and Elibe being two good examples of this.

I can see a modern lord on the cover coming, but people are giving that sort of thing way too much credit, and a modern lord plus Marth+Ike robbing the cover of several of Fire Emblem's greatest heroes hopefully disgusts whoever's making the artbook as much as it disgusts me.

Nothing personal meant, I just don't see them screwing up like this and appealing to Fire Emblem's lowest common denominator (smash+awakening only) on a 25th anniversary book that's roughly 40 big ones that only dedicated fans will buy.
I understand why Marth/Sigurd/Eliwood/Ike are in the cover art, in fact, I like see them in the cover, I think that they are probably the best options to show the Fire Emblem's Story with only some few pictures ...

I'm just... incredible surprised, because the last times that I saw something apparenty focused in celebrate "series story" it was focused in these newer things (and Marth)... Ugh.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I may use Roy tomorrow in tourney, unsure. If so, I'll link the videos in the critique thread when they're posted.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I may use Roy tomorrow in tourney, unsure. If so, I'll link the videos in the critique thread when they're posted.
Good luck! And if you do decide to use Roy, may TEH PH1R3 be with you. :157::4feroy::157:

Edit: Oh wow, did I just became I mod right now? I better get cracking at cleaning things up soon. And if you guys have any more suggestions or feedback, feel free to tell me. With all of our help, we can make the boards more organized and an engaging place!

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Good luck! And if you do decide to use Roy, may TEH PH1R3 be with you. :157::4feroy::157:
Congrats on mod! ^_^

I'm actually typing out the new MU thread posts now, should I post the first one now, so you can sticky the directory? I'll probably have 3 threads ready by the end of the evening: the directory (already done), the first MU discussion thread (Mario), and the Player-Finder thread. Obviously the mario one won't need to be stickied lol.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
EnGarde EnGarde Yeah, you can go ahead and post the main directory thread. Once you finish the Mario thread, you can post it. No rush.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
EnGarde EnGarde Yeah, you can go ahead and post the main directory thread. Once you finish the Mario thread, you can post it. No rush.
Okay, I posted the directory thread, feedback appreciated, if anything needs to be changed or whatnot. ^_^

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Okay, I posted the directory thread, feedback appreciated, if anything needs to be changed or whatnot. ^_^
I was wondering... when we have a big list of character MU threads, I think it would be cool to make graphics linking to the character's respective thread. For example, the Falco MU thread has something similar. I'd love to try my hands at making them (plus the more photoshop practice I get, the better lol). I'm thinking of having the character + their home stage in the background (maybe their emblem too). Just something I thought of if you'd like some visualization rather than linking the threads by text.

Other than the suggestion, everything looks fine to me!

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Gratz on mod power lol.

I've been using Roy like a week so idk how well I'll make out lol. Still dorf has some terrible mus.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I was wondering... when we have a big list of character MU threads, I think it would be cool to make graphics linking to the character's respective thread. For example, the Falco MU thread has something similar. I'd love to try my hands at making them (plus the more photoshop practice I get, the better lol). I'm thinking of having the character + their home stage in the background (maybe their emblem too). Just something I thought of if you'd like some visualization rather than linking the threads by text.

It'd be nice if Smashboards did it like Dustloop and have a matchup subforum for each character subforum.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
It'd be nice if Smashboards did it like Dustloop and have a matchup subforum for each character subforum.
Looking it up... yeah, it's pretty cool how they structure the MU discussions. It would make things easier to access and look less cluttered if we do something similar. I wonder if a suggestion like that was ever brought up to the character boards here... I do think what we're doing now (having a main directory thread + individual character treads linking to it) is more organized than what we had at least haha.

Btw... if I may ask, who's the dude in your avatar? I think I came across a similar character before, but I can't quite remember the name.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Finished the new Player Finder Thread (link). Went for the low-hanging fruit for the thread title lol, based on how people greet newcomers here by posting the "Together, We Ride" song. I would appreciate it if people would fill out their information there, if they get the chance. :)

Having nice art to link each MU thread would be pretty awesome, lol. I have some photoshopping skills myself, but if you or someone else was willing to do something like that, I'm sure what you do would be better than what I could make lol, as I'm not really an artist.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Looking it up... yeah, it's pretty cool how they structure the MU discussions. It would make things easier to access and look less cluttered if we do something similar. I wonder if a suggestion like that was ever brought up to the character boards here... I do think what we're doing now (having a main directory thread + individual character treads linking to it) is more organized than what we had at least haha.

Btw... if I may ask, who's the dude in your avatar? I think I came across a similar character before, but I can't quite remember the name.
Kimahri from Final Fantasy X.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Pulled out Roy for losers finals and did better than my dorf vs Sheik, lost and got 3rd. If you want details check the dorf social lol, I'm too tired to copypaste on my gpad and I already exited the page smh.

No vids sadly.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Pulled out Roy for losers finals and did better than my dorf vs Sheik, lost and got 3rd. If you want details check the dorf social lol, I'm too tired to copypaste on my gpad and I already exited the page smh.

No vids sadly.
Gratz nontheless.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Kimahri from Final Fantasy X.
Yup, that's the guy. I'm not the biggest FF fan (played some of the classic games), but I love many of the character designs. Especially this guy:

He looks like an interesting character to draw. Would draw or paint him for a school assignment, but we're only allowed original characters (species included).

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I'm still in the middle of my first playthrough of Undertale, so I have to be careful looking up music playlists for fear of spoilers, but I found this recently, which is a pretty good remix. Hope you guys don't mind me sharing. ^_^

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
EnGarde EnGarde since discord is now going to be used primarily, there's going to be a discord group thread made I presume? I don't mind helping unless you already have something cooked up. If you have time, can you PM me the link so I could join?

SOOOO

I'm currently making a little graphic which will be added to the OP of the Video thread. I was going to get some snapshots since I need like 5 more. But then I thought, "Why not ask people if they'd like to add some of their snapshots? I'm probably not the only one that has Roy snapshots I'd like to showcase". So, if you have any snapshots that feature Roy and would like to contribute, feel free to send me the snapshots or post them here.

Here's a sneak peek WIP of the graphic

It's fine if no one is interested in contributing. I'll just get back to taking more snapshots~

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
EnGarde EnGarde since discord is now going to be used primarily, there's going to be a discord group thread made I presume? I don't mind helping unless you already have something cooked up. If you have time, can you PM me the link so I could join?

SOOOO

I'm currently making a little graphic which will be added to the OP of the Video thread. I was going to get some snapshots since I need like 5 more. But then I thought, "Why not ask people if they'd like to add some of their snapshots? I'm probably not the only one that has Roy snapshots I'd like to showcase". So, if you have any snapshots that feature Roy and would like to contribute, feel free to send me the snapshots or post them here.

It's fine if no one is interested in contributing. I'll just get back to taking more snapshots~
Sorry for not responding sooner...got into a creative kick and kinda made a chat bot for the Roy discord lol. So when you join, type

!nutella commands

in the channel, and Nutella will tell you what commands it can answer to. ^_^ Sending you a link now.

I'll send some snaps I've got after I sleep lol. Mine are okay, nothing special, but hopefully helpful!

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Here's something interesting. There was a fall live stream for the new FE TCG and many upcoming cards were showcased. A really cool Roy artwork was shown.

Also, Micaiah as well. Paging Troykv Troykv , thought you might like it.

Radiant Dawn and Binding Blade are getting some cards... We're getting cards featuring FE6 characters...

OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY

I wasn't really sure if the Elibe games would get a series, so it's great news to hear. Hopefully FE7 will follow suit (tbh I'd be surprised if it didn't).

RisingSunfish

Smash Rookie
Not sure if I'm happier about Elibe cards making their appearance and Roy looking awesome or Micaiah actually getting classy artwork!

Troykv

Smash Master
Here's something interesting. There was a fall live stream for the new FE TCG and many upcoming cards were showcased. A really cool Roy artwork was shown.

Also, Micaiah as well. Paging Troykv Troykv , thought you might like it.

Radiant Dawn and Binding Blade are getting some cards... We're getting cards featuring FE6 characters...

OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY

I wasn't really sure if the Elibe games would get a series, so it's great news to hear. Hopefully FE7 will follow suit (tbh I'd be surprised if it didn't).
I already see them in some websites (I shared the blog's link and the Micaiah's art in the thread and the Twitter)

But still I'm really happy with this new. The Ike's inclussion gove me some hope in see Roy and Micaiah... And they are finally... I'm exciting with the final versions.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman

SOOOO

I'd be down to contribute! I've been meaning to get into snapshotting and I have some cool ideas already.

RisingSunfish

Smash Rookie
I hope this isn't beating some kind of dead horse here, but I'm curious to hear your perspective on this. I'm debating something regarding the future DLC amiibo with someone who claims that Roy is "hugely popular" among Smash fans, and apparently head-and-shoulders above Lucas. Is this true at all? I know he's maligned in FE fandom but I'm not too familiar with how Smash fans see him these days.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
I hope this isn't beating some kind of dead horse here, but I'm curious to hear your perspective on this. I'm debating something regarding the future DLC amiibo with someone who claims that Roy is "hugely popular" among Smash fans, and apparently head-and-shoulders above Lucas. Is this true at all? I know he's maligned in FE fandom but I'm not too familiar with how Smash fans see him these days.
people like to play roy, I can tell you that much. More so then lucas

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Oh yeah, Roy's always been very popular. More than Lucas though? I dunno about hard numbers, but I could probably find some past DLC character polls tomorrow when I'm not half asleep lol.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
So uh... ho do you all feel about Cloud being in Smash? I was really hoping for Inklings or my long-shot ballot picks, but I'm down with him. Might give me some inspiration to finally get into FF like I've been meaning to. Out of respect for people who haven't seen the direct yet though, can we keep this kind of stuff in spoilers for a while? I hate ruining surprises for people.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
So uh... ho do you all feel about Cloud being in Smash? I was really hoping for Inklings or my long-shot ballot picks, but I'm down with him. Might give me some inspiration to finally get into FF like I've been meaning to. Out of respect for people who haven't seen the direct yet though, can we keep this kind of stuff in spoilers for a while? I hate ruining surprises for people.
I didn't see him coming myself, but in retrospect, he totally makes sense. Final Fantasy is a very popular franchise, and he's probably the most famous character from that franchise; the most easily recognizeable. I'll probably play with him a bit, especially with all the DLC hype, but I doubt I'm going to play him super seriously.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
he looks like ike, but with different specials, also why spoiler it's like a minute trailer with a 2 minutes of filler. Nintendo got that popular anime crap on lock apparently

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
What's with the spoilers? The news is everywhere, even right on the front page. But since you requested...

It looks like he could be a close-range swordsman for the most part, and if he feels similar to Roy I'm going to really love Cloud. Eager to know how his Limit Break mechanic exactly works. I have no idea if he's a ballot pick but he is a good choice from FF since he's so iconic. And I remember seeing a lot of running gag threads on gamefaqs wanting Cloud (and Sora too) and I was always like, "Wouldn't that be something if he gets in?" Also, it feels kinda surreal because

The FFVII fanboy got beaten up after by Ike in that one Brawl Taunts. But now Cloud got in and avenged the fanboy by Omnislash'ing Ike into oblivion.

I watched the direct live at the mall on my phone, although with no sound lol. Almost burst out laughing at one part since it froze at a time when Reggie made the most hilarious facial expression. But later when I got home I should Cloud's trailer to my sister. And she's like, "Yo this guy looks like Inuyasha with that big ass sword and shockwaves" lmao.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
God damnit. Stop taunting me Nintendo! Now I gotta reevaluate my mains again...
Dont tell me, since Roy release he has been my boy, I think I barely played ANYTHING else in the last months. But Cloud may easily become my new secondary, especially if he's not too slow.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Having a little trouble getting responses for this week's MU discussion. There was some interesting discussion last week, on Mario, which was nice, but we haven't gotten a single response yet for this week's MU discussion, on ZSS. I'll post a response myself and update the OP of the thread when I'm setting up next week's discussion (in a vacuum of requests, I'll just pick Sheik, I think, but if you guys have a pressing MU to be discussed, lmk), just like I did with the Mario discussion last week.

If you guys have any thoughts on the ZSS MU, feel free to respond in this week's MU thread lol. (Link).

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
whats up guys. I've never played Fire Emblem before(fingers crossed for the holidays),but i find this Roy fellow very interesting to play. maining mac made me enjoy how much i like being in someones face. heard about this guy,tried him out,and loving his kill potential. hope I can learn some future tips/tricks about him here!

Maligned would imply that more than a small vocal minority hates the character. It's mainly stat-obsessed western novice fans with little FE experience and knowledge, ones who prefer very novice-friendly lords. He is a lot more well-liked among veteran players, the Japanese, and other types of casual players, who largely trump that minority together many times over.

I run into more Roy mains than Lucas mains, and I seem to see Roy at least more in regional groups, discussion groups, tournament sets, on reddit icons and discussion, from youtubers I follow, and he's even got The Royvolution which is a pretty nice group. I'm really not sure how they realistically stack up, though. Lucas could possibly trump him overall, since what I'm seeing is only a small portion of the Smash community, but I would place money on Roy having more Smash popularity currently. Pre Roy DLC would be a different story.

I believe their amiibo situation is entirely unrelated to popularity, how iconic characters are, etc. It seems more along the lines of Nintendo liking amiibo waves and wanting to keep them going strong, Roy releasing in-game at the same time as Lucas, and trying to keep Roy/Ryu/Lucas together. After all, all three of them were shown at displays with their figures. It would make sense if they wanted to keep the next wave of DLC fighters together as amiibo when they happen, too.

Top Bottom