• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Roy's headband = Ike's headband > Marth's tiara > Lucina's tiara > Robin's book > Chrom's different colour boots

I don't personally think Marth's overrated. I'd say Roy, but it's more like DLC characters always get overhyped. Well I don't really care about overrated characters anyway. I mostly love to see characters who are unpopular get some more love.

Seriously, am I the only one who plays :4wendy:!? :awesome:

Last edited:
Roy's headband = Ike's headband > Marth's tiara > Lucina's tiara > Robin's book > Chrom's different colour boots

I don't personally think Marth's overrated. I'd say Roy, but it's more like DLC characters always get overhyped. Well I don't really care about overrated characters anyway. I mostly love to see characters who are unpopular get some more love.

Seriously, am I the only one who plays :4wendy:!? :awesome:
There's liek 49.9% Bowser Jr. players, 49.9% Roy koopa players, and the other .1% randomly scatters across the other koopalings.

Speaking of underrated characters...

Heroes can dream.

In terms of FE characters, Marth is the main man, Roy came in all SWAT team after the original creator+team left to continue that juicy **** past 5 and was a major force towards bringing FE overseas, Ike is one of the biggest and most popular heroes of the series, Robin is def the best avatar in the series (FE7 avatar is brown-haired Link in terms of speech and what he wears, Kris/Krissette was a half-chewed pencil eraser, and I hear Kamui is incredibly bland and disappointing after being hyped up as some dragon-prince avatar deal from some close friends who have played through Fates and feel Robin is a strong/good character. I will judge the Kamui situation for myself once Fates comes overseas, but I am much more fond of Robin's design and concepts than Kamui's as it stands). Lucina isn't important to the series or that memorable, she was an extra in SSB as well that wasn't originally meant to be a fighter but is still a nice extra.

I'd say Marth > Roy > Ike > Robin > Lucina for series importance. Oddly debut order.

For stats? Robin > Marth > Ike/Roy > Lucina. Robin breaks every single difficulty of their game with ease, I feel Marth starts off solid and never falls off in 1/11 and is similar but weaker in 3/12, Ike/Roy are good enough but don't meet their true potential or shine until lategame where they tear through everything, and Lucina starts at Lv10 in a point in her game where you've probably found 50 different ways to break the game by then, at a minimum of 3 or 4. I know I did on my first run of Awakening.

For Smash? Marth > Roy in Melee, idk where to rank each for PM but I'd say Marth is overall slightly better there than Roy and Ike has been the best of them imo since 2.1, Marth > Ike in Brawl, Marth >>>>>>>>>>>> Roy in sm4sh (at least until the June update, then Roy was massively buffed and it's been Roy > Marth since then). Sm4sh: Roy = Robin > Ike > Marth = Lucina.

Just my basket of onions, onions may differ between vendors.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
How was Marth massively superior to Roy initially in Smash 4? There's no way the Sm4sH MU for Roy VS Marth could be worse than the Melee MU...just no way.

Troykv

Smash Master
How was Marth massively superior to Roy initially in Smash 4? There's no way the Sm4sH MU for Roy VS Marth could be worse than the Melee MU...just no way.
Well... The new Roy actually doesn't exists in Smash 4 before June Patch xD

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Ahh...I get it.

Well played Mason, well played.

Roy went from being bottom tier trash with nothing but clown car gimmicks to being a viable swordsman with potential. Honestly 1.0.8 was one of the best things to happen in Smash history.

FullOfGore

Smash Rookie
NNID
Scardonian
So would you consider roy to be the best overall swordsman in the game even after all these buffs to the others?

Nelkoy

Smash Cadet
So would you consider roy to be the best overall swordsman in the game even after all these buffs to the others?
A lot of people says that Marth is the best FE character in the game, specially after the last buffs. Maybe I'm underrated him badly, but I'm still thinking that Roy and Ike are better than him. Actually I think Roy is the only one with potential to be hight tier in the future.

About swordsman in general, Robin is quite good too. Probably as good as Roy is. Link and Toon Link are solid options too.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
A lot of people says that Marth is the best FE character in the game, specially after the last buffs. Maybe I'm underrated him badly, but I'm still thinking that Roy and Ike are better than him. Actually I think Roy is the only one with potential to be hight tier in the future.

About swordsman in general, Robin is quite good too. Probably as good as Roy is. Link and Toon Link are solid options too.
Marth surely got better, but he's still a bit far from being the best. He just doesn't combo that well anymore, he isn't that dangerous threat anymore he was in melee, or heck, even brawl.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Still holding onto the dream eh guys.

You guys are adorable.

FYI Roy doesnt combo well past like...40%. I could go on a rant about why Roy is overhyped, but its pointless as ultimately Roy, Marth and Ike do not matter in the metagame. They all lose to Sheik, ZSS and Diddy.

Thats really all you need to know.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Still holding onto the dream eh guys.

You guys are adorable.

FYI Roy doesnt combo well past like...40%. I could go on a rant about why Roy is overhyped, but its pointless as ultimately Roy, Marth and Ike do not matter in the metagame. They all lose to Sheik, ZSS and Diddy.

Thats really all you need to know.
So? 80% of Sm4sh looses against sheik.
ZeRo won with twice nerved Diddy. Olimar was tops. Game&Watch did also actually pretty well.

It isn't about what the character delivers you, it is about what you can do with your character. You will see me probaly playing luigi most of the time, but that doesn't change the fact that I atleast try to master roy, because I like him. As every other thread tries for their favourite character.

This isn't melee, where there are just like 4 viable characters, we have a much thighter gab between each character, we can do good without playing the selected few. Of course Top Tiers have their merits and tools, thats why they are top tier, but you can still do better than your opponent. We aren't in the japanese robotic execution meta, yo.

Anyways, that is atleast my little rant about guys who adore tierlists like rulebooks. If you like a character, try to evolve the metagame for him. If you simply don't play said character, will anything ever change then? Wanna wait for patches?
Because when you face a real player, he can and will beat your shiek, with even middle tiers.

Edit: And I think in a thread about roy... filled with roy players... we should probably know already about the things you just named. It won't crush our dreams,since it doesn't really change, anything at all. *shrug*

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
There is a reason zero hypes some chars but only goes to tourney with certain ones. However, I do agree its important for all of us to push each chars metagame to the future. and i can attest that if you have a connection with a character your desire to push them will be greater.

But seriously Roy is overrated.

I dont think hes won a local yet. Ryu has won several since their release. Just drawing a comparison.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
There is a reason zero hypes some chars but only goes to tourney with certain ones. However, I do agree its important for all of us to push each chars metagame to the future. and i can attest that if you have a connection with a character your desire to push them will be greater.

I dont think hes won a local yet. Ryu has won several since their release. Just drawing a comparison.
Meh, both characters are very hyped, as is lucas. After the 0 death combo, it just exploded.

I never see roy more than he is, I played with him enough after all to know he isn't too strong, but I still can see him do good in the future.
Ryu is the problem of execution, I have yet to loose against a ryu, but his potential is as shulk's potential thanks to Mallc very high, just hard to master.

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
There's liek 49.9% Bowser Jr. players, 49.9% Roy koopa players, and the other .1% randomly scatters across the other koopalings.
I'll agree about Roy Koopa, but the other Koopalings (and Bowser Jr.) have been pretty even as far as I can see.
(Besides an extremely small amount of Wendy)

FullOfGore

Smash Rookie
NNID
Scardonian

I think Tink was better in brawl tbh, his aerials were better and I used them almost extensively, but he's still solid.

Anyway, I can't really understand why people say marth is now the best FE character since he can't land tippers as often as Roy lands his sweetspots nor does he have near Ike levels of range as he used too. Sure tippers can kill pretty damn early but the hitboxes are really picky, and he can't combo as well as he used too either.

And I'm sure people like Sethlon will eventually win a local with Roy. We can hope

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Its not about landing hits.

Its about what happens when Marth and Roy GET HIT.

Which one of them gets comboed harder and is easier to edgeguard. Who has worse disadvantage state?

I will leave it at that.

FullOfGore

Smash Rookie
NNID
Scardonian

Which one of them gets comboed harder and is easier to edgeguard. Who has worse disadvantage state?

I will leave it at that.
Fair point, Roy is pretty slow recovering and has got a pretty small ledge sweet spot to boot. Among other issues.

I saw Roy win singles twice and doubles once within 2-3 days of release. I haven't looked up many Roy sets, either. I need to do that again.

So? 80% of Sm4sh looses against sheik.
ZeRo won with twice nerved Diddy. Olimar was tops. Game&Watch did also actually pretty well.

It isn't about what the character delivers you, it is about what you can do with your character. You will see me probaly playing luigi most of the time, but that doesn't change the fact that I atleast try to master roy, because I like him. As every other thread tries for their favourite character.

This isn't melee, where there are just like 4 viable characters, we have a much thighter gab between each character, we can do good without playing the selected few. Of course Top Tiers have their merits and tools, thats why they are top tier, but you can still do better than your opponent. We aren't in the japanese robotic execution meta, yo.

Anyways, that is atleast my little rant about guys who adore tierlists like rulebooks. If you like a character, try to evolve the metagame for him. If you simply don't play said character, will anything ever change then? Wanna wait for patches?
Because when you face a real player, he can and will beat your shiek, with even middle tiers.

Edit: And I think in a thread about roy... filled with roy players... we should probably know already about the things you just named. It won't crush our dreams,since it doesn't really change, anything at all. *shrug*
I would say give Melee more credit. All top/high/mid tiers did well at EVO and some low tiers (Link, Mario, Yoshi) did well. Samus is the MVP. Triple R is hella good with Kirby and places with him. I've gotten results with 90-100% Roy at all of my events. I knew a legit Pichu who left the scene and focused more on diesel from Melee Hell. Romance in CO co-mains Zelda and Roy and tears through bracket every time. His brother is the best player in CO and almost exclusively uses Luigi in a PR filled with top tier players. One of the best Marths in the world lost to a Link main recently, the MU is near-even imo. S2J's Falcon is so based. Chudat made top 8 at EVO with IC's which literally nobody expected. The future of Melee is top/high/mid/low tiers continuing to impress us all. Not 4 characters. If the future of Melee is truly only Fox/Falco/Sheik/Marth, then the future of sm4sh is just Sheik/Diddy/Rosaluma/ZSS or worse. I have faith in both.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I saw Roy win singles twice and doubles once within 2-3 days of release. I haven't looked up many Roy sets, either. I need to do that again.

I would say give Melee more credit. All top/high/mid tiers did well at EVO and some low tiers (Link, Mario, Yoshi) did well. Samus is the MVP. Triple R is hella good with Kirby and places with him. I've gotten results with 90-100% Roy at all of my events. I knew a legit Pichu who left the scene and focused more on diesel from Melee Hell. Romance in CO co-mains Zelda and Roy and tears through bracket every time. His brother is the best player in CO and almost exclusively uses Luigi in a PR filled with top tier players. One of the best Marths in the world lost to a Link main recently, the MU is near-even imo. S2J's Falcon is so based. Chudat made top 8 at EVO with IC's which literally nobody expected. The future of Melee is top/high/mid/low tiers continuing to impress us all. Not 4 characters. If the future of Melee is truly only Fox/Falco/Sheik/Marth, then the future of sm4sh is just Sheik/Diddy/Rosaluma/ZSS or worse. I have faith in both.
I gotta say... yes. Yes you are right. I overreacted maybe a bit, melee did actually well.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who wants to see a Roy place high in tourney? Lol I saw a good Ryu in Trela just waiting for Roy's chance.

Same smirk when you realize Roy punches people with his sword for a sweet-spot.
Legitimate reason why he's a badass!
That makes me think of Zack Fair's unorthadox fighting style and now I'm happy.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Its funny you showed that. Isai and I met years ago. He came to NJ and the crew I was part of at the time took him to a melee major and we hung out for a little over a week. He was a monster in 64 and Melee. Guess what though?

Even he got hit sometimes.

Sooner or later, everyone gets hit.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of Diddy Kong, or Sheik, or ZSS, or Luigi, or even Marth. Cowards do that and that ain’t you. You’re better than that! Whether Roy's low tier or not, keeping moving forward and never stop believing in yourself!

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
SNES--Fire Emblem  Thracia 776 english translation_May3 2_03_33.png

I don't know how Finn got 12 movement
or for that fact 15...
SNES--Fire Emblem  Thracia 776 english translation_Jul26 5_25_57.png

whoever thought movement should have been a growth rate is a weird dude

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Wow... The Growth is so low (1%-5% depend the unit)... But when you get two or more points... Is awesome! Is like use boots without actually use them xD.
ya finn's is super low 1% (believe tina has the highest at 5% with no Dain scroll), I classed him up and handed him boots just for ****s and giggles
I didn't even use the dain scroll, so I was pretty confused as too why he could move so far
My Leif has 14 movement and monstrous build as well.
I don't think I got unmounted units that silly in movement
my Lara has 17 build though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I guess that's what getting 57 levels do

ConsummateK

Smash Cadet
So has the meta shifted to see Roy as lower tier now? It doesn't matter to me, I'll be sticking with him and pushing him as far as I personally can (which will likely never be against folks where tier is an actual issue) but it's interesting to see the shift from ZeRo saying "I think he might be top tier" to people poo pooing him now.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
So has the meta shifted to see Roy as lower tier now? It doesn't matter to me, I'll be sticking with him and pushing him as far as I personally can (which will likely never be against folks where tier is an actual issue) but it's interesting to see the shift from ZeRo saying "I think he might be top tier" to people poo pooing him now.
I still see a lot of people calling him low to mid high, but Roy does get combo'd REALLY bad. I think it's going to be a situation slightly like Fox, he's a fast faller but is still a very viable character. The thing with this game is that almost every character has little quirks and differences that make them good in different ways, in my opinion.

If Roy can win locals during his release and still does, **** *****es get Roy.

If some characters are bothersome then pick up a secondary to handle those characters. Even highly-regarded characters like Sheik and Falcon do well with them and benefit strongly from them. I use Robin for Sheik, no ZSS testing so far but I think it's about even for Robin and 40-60 for Roy.

When everyone says Robin vs. Sheik sucks for Robin but you don't think so and don't bother looking further into the MU at all

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
I entered my first tourney with Roy yesterday and placed 7th out of 41. It was fun and I ran into some hard MU's. Roy has a problem with Shiek and Fox because of his weight and can go toe to toe with Rosa (two stocked Rosa in tourney and won set 2-0).

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
If Roy can win locals during his release and still does, **** *****es get Roy.

If some characters are bothersome then pick up a secondary to handle those characters. Even highly-regarded characters like Sheik and Falcon do well with them and benefit strongly from them. I use Robin for Sheik, no ZSS testing so far but I think it's about even for Robin and 40-60 for Roy.

When everyone says Robin vs. Sheik sucks for Robin but you don't think so and don't bother looking further into the MU at all
To be fair...
I can win with ganon at some locals...

To be fair...
I can win with ganon at some locals...
And Roy wins more locals than Ganon. Or at least in strong regions from what I've seen. You can win locals at a weak scene much easier, or when the better players are out of town, like an out of state tourney.

Plus Ganon def isn't bad.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

When Roy loses he becomes so upset that he claps waves of fire, then overheats and explodes the TV screen.

I was a bit confused when there was emphasis on buffing Roy in the Direct revealing him, yet his counter went from 1.5x to 1.35x. Now I see why after countering a Falcon Punch and Mac's neutral b near full charge when I knew the player wouldn't go for a full charge in the last 15 minutes. Good... lord.

Top Bottom