• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
because in games where they don't promote they usually have ****ing amazing growths
so getting them a few levels early (which is about getting them last hits, or them duking it out forever with a weak unit) would make them useful early game characters along with the usual utility.
my chad was able to hold his own until chapter 21 with out even being level 20, but then again I'm a normal difficulty scrub

Some examples:
Chad (FE6)

HP |S/M |Skl |Spd |Luk |Def |Res
85% |50% |50% |80% |60% |25% |15%
Julian (FE1)

HP |S/M |Skl |Spd |Luk |Wlvl | Def |Res
80% |70% |50% |50% |80% |0% |30% |0%
so ya despite some bad bases they had some almost guaranteed growths
wow
...I actually never knew about this. But wait, is Chad actually viable in hard mode?

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
Concerning EVO, I really hope people are more open to customs after the tournament. There haven't been any issues yet to my knowledge. If the community works on bans, sets and such I think they can be a good addition to the competitive scene and bring other characters into the light that aren't really good otherwise. *cough*Palutena*cough*

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
wow
...I actually never knew about this. But wait, is Chad actually viable in hard mode?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯, I mean 3 str unit gonna take forever to kill a archer on hard
I mean he's still a thief so he has that use. If I had to use a thief on hard I'd prob go astore just because he has better base defense going for him and chapters after you get him are chalk full of axes. and he's half way to max, so he's a much lower commitment for an early game thief.

FE6 had a pretty good thief situation for someone who loves the class.
I miss the brokenness that was FE5 thieves
That picture is so accurate I can't even. c':
I think recruiting joshua and the early fog chapter where the ones I had the most difficulty with as a kid (I sucked ok). FE8 was my first FE. Love the game to death too, all the villains are so well scripted
If the community works on bans
don't say that willy nilly, cause banning things is already a can of worms.
It never is as simple as "Oh, we can just ban the op stuff" - said the mess that is pokemon competitive
I'm not talking them down, just that mentality.

I personally just opt out of using customs though

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
don't say that willy nilly, cause banning things is already a can of worms.
It never is as simple as "Oh, we can just ban the op stuff" - said the mess that is pokemon competitive
I'm not talking them down, just that mentality.

I personally just opt out of using customs though
True. Competitive Pokemon got really redundant fast, at least under Smogon's rules. I'm just saying that if there's dedicated discussion on the topic, maybe in the future we can have a set list of customs and such. Customs have so much potential to make the game even more diverse than it already is and we shouldn't ignore them or bash on them like some people have been.

EDIT: It should also be something we wait on, because IMO there isn't enough data to know what's truly good and what's not even concerning standard moves. Customs should just not be ignored in the future.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
FE6 had a pretty good thief situation for someone who loves the class.
I miss the brokenness that was FE5 thieves
I like steal Enemy's Weapon in Thraccia and Tellius's game (but still get nerfed because is impossible stole Equiped Weapons in the latter two.)

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
I like steal Enemy's Weapon in Thraccia and Tellius's game (but still get nerfed because is impossible stole Equiped Weapons in the latter two.)
you also couldn't hand garbage to the enemies if I remember correctly.
You don't have a thief that can go thief -> rogue -> dancer -> rogue. and still be able to steal as a dancer.
or give you 3 different thieves that were all useful in their own ways

Troykv

Smash Master
you also couldn't hand garbage to the enemies if I remember correctly.
You don't have a thief that can go thief -> rogue -> dancer -> rogue. and still be able to steal as a dancer.
or give you 3 different thieves that were all useful in their own ways
The Early Game Thief, the Strong Thief, and the Dancer Thief :p

Pleasantly surprised by the character diversity so far at EVO, it's a shame Roy isn't legal though...
For a sec I thought you meant Melee lmao, since it and sm4sh overlapped I dropped the idea of watching sm4sh instantly.

There was a lot of Sheik, Falcon, Puff, Peach, some IC's, Luigi, Samus, Link, Mario, like one Doc, Ganon, and a few Yoshis and Pikachus on stream alone, and I missed a few hours of pools so there was likely more.

Leffen, PPMD (I'm so mad that I've been saying PewPewU and not PPMD yesterday when I worship PPMD, oh well) and Mango seem most likely to take it. This EVO might be even more exciting than 2013's.
Ken's playing x100000000 better than any of his tournaments in years, aMSa's looking really solid, Axe is looking solid, and Azen's doing unbelievably well for someone who practices with Chillin, so I can see at least one of them making top 50 or even 5/8. I can see Armada getting up there but he's def not gonna take it. Who knows? Everything could change in just a day. One of them could have practically no sleep that night or go on tilt the next day, and my least likely picks could get 7 and a half hours and a balanced breakfast. If I had to bet on anyone winning, it'd be Leffen.

If someone uploads all the sm4sh stuff later I might watch it. There's some players I've really been looking forward to, but no Ryu just feels wrong for EVO, and Roy's chances of being seen here are even less than in Melee's. I really want to see Mr. E play, idk if Ryo traveled up there but he better have.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

Hmm, I'm having fun watching Smash 4 EVO so far, and I'm liking the character diversity. Saw a lot of interesting stuff, and definitely learning a lot with custom move combinations. But I only hope that the DLC characters will get custom moves in a future patch. I don't know about you, but I do think the game will feel a bit unpolished if the DLC characters end up with no customs. Something's preventing the DLC fighters from getting them, at least right now. Idk if it's priorities (like Sakurai wanting to get all the characters out first, then add custom moves later), or the devs thinking it's not worth it, or something else entirely. It's not like they will straight up tell us what's going on anyway. Well, we can only hope for the best.

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion

Hmm, I'm having fun watching Smash 4 EVO so far, and I'm liking the character diversity. Saw a lot of interesting stuff, and definitely learning a lot with custom move combinations. But I only hope that the DLC characters will get custom moves in a future patch. I don't know about you, but I do think the game will feel a bit unpolished if the DLC characters end up with no customs. Something's preventing the DLC fighters from getting them, at least right now. Idk if it's priorities (like Sakurai wanting to get all the characters out first, then add custom moves later), or the devs thinking it's not worth it, or something else entirely. It's not like they will straight up tell us what's going on anyway. Well, we can only hope for the best.
What do you mean? Ryu has customs! :awesome:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
What do you mean? Ryu has customs! :awesome:
:4mewtwo: :4lucas: :4feroy: and [insert any future DLC fighters here] are sobbing in a corner. They didn't get the invitation to the customs party, though Ryu's a cheater. =P

Last edited:

Tails2Link

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tails2Link
Wish I could watch the EVO myself but Twitch ain't working on my phone so I'm gonna hope VGBootCamp uploads the fights later on hopefully.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
:4mewtwo: :4lucas: :4feroy: and [insert any future DLC fighters here] are sobbing in a corner. They didn't get the invitation to the customs party, though Ryu's a cheater. =P
tfw :4ness: has customs to the extent that he (almost) can have all of Lucas's specials yet :4lucas: gets nothing.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
I need to get a WiiU stat. This 3ds training is starting to work my nerves, (and fingers), by not having a GC controller.

Also, not surprised at that Evo character presence. I expect to see something different next(maybe a roy here or there).

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I wish there's a way to use like a GC controller on the 3DS... The main reason I don't play Smash 3DS a lot is because it strains my hands too much. I'm sure there's 3DS comfort grips out there that might help though. Maybe I should check them out...

Also, I saw this post in the FB group that's a Roy support pic on the Miiverse stage, and I just have to share it here. It was taken with a camera, so the quality isn't the best, but I traced the post back via the support Roy section on Miiverse:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkP0cJeDQ

Beautiful. And you should check out the artist's other works too as they're just as amazing.

Despite all the crap we see on the Miiverse stage, there are some wonderful artists that pop up.

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Noooooo, I lost my Premium. 6 Months pass so fast...

Anyways, how does it go, royboys? A bit sad that roy didn't made it into the tops?

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Yeah, unfortunately Roy, as well as Ryu and Lucas, was banned. If you're curious, here's a spreadsheet with statistics in regards to character usage: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ehNNiwyVNyyYmCGQMJ358/htmlview?sle=true#gid=0

Keep in mind that data was only taken from the stream. So I'm sure certain characters got some more love, but just went unrecorded as they weren't seen on stream.

I'm addicted
Whoa, I listen to the Digimon soundtrack (from different seasons) now and then. So much nostalgia. These two songs are probably the most memorable for me after all these years:

As for perfect pivots, I think they're an interesting option in general and for Roy jab seems good, and dtilt for spacing (safe poke). Now if only I could pull them off consistently...

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
As for perfect pivots, I think they're an interesting option in general and for Roy jab seems good, and dtilt for spacing (safe poke). Now if only I could pull them off consistently...
I was killed in roy dittos faar to often with an sweet spottet pervect pivot side-tilt.
I sometimes slip, and make smashes instead of tilts, which my enemies are assured of abusing the hell outa it. Have you any tips on NOT smashing all the time?

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
I was killed in roy dittos faar to often with an sweet spottet pervect pivot side-tilt.
I sometimes slip, and make smashes instead of tilts, which my enemies are assured of abusing the hell outa it. Have you any tips on NOT smashing all the time?
stop mashing so hard.
A really good way to break that habit is to learn how to consistently shield drop or use a GC controller as it is less sensitive
Edit: or, or you can set C stick to tilts. also makes PP tilts easier as well

Last edited:

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
Use the C-Stick for tilts/turn off tap jump for up tilts. It's helped me so much in the long run and if you can get used to using the C-Stick, find the timing for smashes, and get down tap jump it's totally worth it.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Use the C-Stick for tilts/turn off tap jump for up tilts. It's helped me so much in the long run and if you can get used to using the C-Stick, find the timing for smashes, and get down tap jump it's totally worth it.
not to mention :GCA:+:GCB: will now generate smash attacks
making it so much easier now, specially for pivot smashes.

D

Deleted member

Eh, I find it hard using the C-stick myself. Maybe it's the controller I'm using?

I need to get a WiiU stat. This 3ds training is starting to work my nerves, (and fingers), by not having a GC controller.

Also, not surprised at that Evo character presence. I expect to see something different next(maybe a roy here or there).
Yes. Get a Wii U asap. Don't be that guy who asks for Smash practice and then is like "3DS only" like some guys on my Facebook friendslist do. Some people still ask me to play on 3DS and I'm trying to come up with kinder ways to say no. The 3DS will limit you severely and it'll limit anyone else on the 3DS version. I would have sold my copy if it wasn't digital since it's not even good for me on fundamental practice now. 3DS days were fun though, with watching the first Shockwave and such, discovering characters and seeing people discover them (the rise of Fox from his initial discredit, the rise of Diddy, the inverse of Luigi, people thinking Robin was top tier, people thinking Duck Hunt and Bowser were gods) along with just having a whole new game, but those days are gone.

The Wii U is your start to reaching the top at this point. Don't let your dreams be dreams.

Have we ever considered using perfect pivot jabs? Roy's PP is pretty short but it covers enough for a surprise jab.
I've used them since day 1. Dtilt is the best out of it. PP shield is good with how Roy's shield during dashing is weird. Probably the only things truly worth PPing on boy.

roy was banned anyways
Melee though, but we don't have prolific players using Roy like when Neo put in work at MLG.

Roy is good enough for modern Melee if you dual main with someone that covers floaties+Sheik+maybe Marth.

I would have watched all of sm4sh this year if Melee didn't already take my entire Friday from dusk to dawn, Saturday from being off work to going to bed, and today after work for a few hours. If someone uploads all of the raw sm4sh streaming elsewhere I'll watch since Twitch archives are booty.

It could have been regular pivot ftilt since those (and fsmash) are easy in comparison to pp'ing them, to the point where there's no point.
You can tilt during walk, tap jump off helps with utilt. You can't smash if your analog stick isn't all the way horizontal or vertical, if it's halfway there you'll always tilt. Try being more sensitive with the analog stick to tilt. Moving it to where you want to tilt before you can tilt during a different action also helps. Cstick on tilt is also useful.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Melee though, but we don't have prolific players using Roy like when Neo put in work at MLG.

Roy is good enough for modern Melee if you dual main with someone that covers floaties+Sheik+maybe Marth.

I would have watched all of sm4sh this year if Melee didn't already take my entire Friday from dusk to dawn, Saturday from being off work to going to bed, and today after work for a few hours. If someone uploads all of the raw sm4sh streaming elsewhere I'll watch since Twitch archives are booty.
roy has potential in melee, but is completely overshadowed by marth
and for good reason. Roy's weaker juggle game (Even if it is easier to set up, roy's dtilt is amazing) just makes him harder to use overall. on top of that roy's sourspots (while hard to hit thanks to how big his sweetspots are) are rather useless and lack hitstun a game well known for having hit stun. meaning that spacing with him does not help set him up and is not as safe on shield thanks to lacking shield stun.

combined with him being a fast faller there is nothing he really brings to the table over marth. as he is easier to combo and even with a better recovery move he still can't recover as far his double jump goes no where too.

also his dair/DA hit boxes were designed by a monkey
his legs are the sweet spot WTH

TLDR: he needs more airspeed in melee, would help both his recovery and air combo game (which he ended up getting in smash 4). His dtilt is still godlike though
Classic controller. Occasionally the Gamepad if the classic controller acts up.
ya classic leaves a little bit to be desired on the C stick, due to it's odd location and how large the joystick is on it. It's still fully doable though

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Hey @ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 wanna play Smash?

3DS only though.

:troll:

I just tell people that I'm not fond of 3DS Smash and that it strains my hands too much (though if you like 3DS Smash, then the more power to ya).

roy has potential in melee, but is completely overshadowed by marth
and for good reason. Roy's weaker juggle game (Even if it is easier to set up, roy's dtilt is amazing) just makes him harder to use overall. on top of that roy's sourspots (while hard to hit thanks to how big his sweetspots are) are rather useless and lack hitstun a game well known for having hit stun. meaning that spacing with him does not help set him up and is not as safe on shield thanks to lacking shield stun.

combined with him being a fast faller there is nothing he really brings to the table over marth. as he is easier to combo and even with a better recovery move he still can't recover as far his double jump goes no where too.

also his dair/DA hit boxes were designed by a monkey
his legs are the sweet spot WTH

TLDR: he needs more airspeed in melee, would help both his recovery and air combo game (which he ended up getting in smash 4). His dtilt is still godlike though

ya classic leaves a little bit to be desired on the C stick, due to it's odd location and how large the joystick is on it. It's still fully doable though
Juggles are better or about as good as than Marth's imo. Being easier to set up still goes a long way.

Much, much better tech chasing. He can use fthrow and dthrow to tech chase a good number of characters to death from 0. Oddly enough it doesn't work on himself quite as well. He easily DI's out of his own dthrow around 40 or 50 but is still vulnerable to fthrow despite being similar to Falcon and Sheik who eat both of his throws a lot harder. Yung also shares this weird trait. Falcon and Sheik straight up die hard from both of his throws. Roy's good grab range and dash speed helps. A good portion of characters can do literally nothing about it if the Roy doesn't drop their tech chases.

Tips can smack straight down and set up stuff, similar to when I got smacked with a Bronze Sword and then Thoron'd for game. I don't know quite how good this can be, I just recently hit the lab on it. It could be useless for all I know, there's still a lot I need to lab on.

Fastfaller = good in a meta where vertical kills and counterpicking stages based on vertical blastzones are prevalent, it makes him less vulnerable when landing, it means quicker aerials, and it's ultimately being on the ground faster which is good for Roy. It does have its tradeoffs, but it's one of the reasons spacies are king, and contrasting with Marth ultimately helps his role.

Marth is objectively better, but I wouldn't count Roy out of being better at some of the top MU's and a handful of other MU's. He can also be a good player counterpick (not necessarily due to lack of matchup knowledge, but to counter how certain players think and function) and solid secondary for some MU's whether it be stage or character-wise. He requires a more niche mindset & role and more technical skill to use than Marth, when Marth is better rounded, which is what I feel it comes down to.

Hey @ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 wanna play Smash?

3DS only though.

:troll:

I just tell people that I'm not fond of 3DS Smash and that it strains my hands too much (though if you like 3DS Smash, then the more power to ya).
Mm me in 3DS for $3.33

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Fastfaller = good in a meta where vertical kills and counterpicking stages based on vertical blastzones are prevalent, it makes him less vulnerable when landing, it means quicker aerials, and it's ultimately being on the ground faster which is good for Roy. It does have its tradeoffs, but it's one of the reasons spacies are king, and contrasting with Marth ultimately helps his role.
I wasn't saying Roy is the worst character, I'm mainly saying it would be a lot of work to get him up to snuff (but then again it is melee, everything is work in that game). also the thing that makes spacies king
is not present, but just to set the facts straight
Juggles are better or about as good as than Marth's imo.
Roy's good grab range and dash speed helps.
  • All of Roy's aerials are weaker than Marth's in both knockback and damage.
  • Roy's dash speed is slower
  • Roy's grab range is shorter.
    • All of Roy's throws deal 1% more damage than Marth's and do slightly more knockback.
    • The knockback increase of Roy's throws hinders his ability to tech chase and chain grab.
marth isn't objectively better, he just is better. Roy is still doable, but you are giving up a lot for Roy over marth, but hey least his counter is better

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ryu got that secret Pit and Megaman treatment, while Roy, Lucas, and Mewtwo were given rival like treatment.

Roy was the first character with customs with his custom up-b hailing from Melee where you change the trajectory that was differentiated even more

Aiming for E Z $ $ $ tomorrow with Roy in Melee (and Falcon for certain MU's that I might not see)

Top Bottom