• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy for Smash 3DS/Wii U website

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 269706

Way better. His model is so good in the game, he'll be DLC and Robin' Final Smash will be altered. That's the way it goes.
The fact that he already has a full on character model definitely implies that at some point, there was a chance that he was going to become a fighter of his own. I feel like Robin's final smash would be more fitting if he/she just turned into Grima and wrecked havoc. that's just me though. The only problem is that then there would be 3 blue haired sword fighters...I wouldn't mind. Just hoping that he makes it in someday...

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
In your opinon. Many others disagree. But you're free to have your point of view.
Well that is his opinion, that's why he said it and nobody else did. Do people always need to mention that it's their opinion that they're saying something? I think Rawkstar saying that Chrom would be better implies that the interest would be higher to support this cause if it were Chrom, in my opinion.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I'd like my PM secondary to be back. He is more interesting than Lucina.

Sakurai said he didn't want another blue haired swordsman, so why didn't he look back at his past work and add in a red one lol.

Oh, btw Sakurai, Lucina's blue haired too, so...

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
I'd like my PM secondary to be back. He is more interesting than Lucina.

Sakurai said he didn't want another blue haired swordsman, so why didn't he look back at his past work and add in a red one lol.

Oh, btw Sakurai, Lucina's blue haired too, so...
You think he contradicted himself with the blue hair. He actually agreed with himself with a female. She is not a blue haired swordsman. She is a blue haired swordwoman.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
You think he contradicted himself with the blue hair. He actually agreed with himself with a female. She is not a blue haired swordsman. She is a blue haired swordwoman.
Oh sorry XD. But either way Roy would have been cooler to add than Lucina.

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Now we want our boy Roy, who adds onto the Fire Emblem reps in this game which is up there. I love me FE, but don't we already have similar play styles of Roy already in the game even though they aren't 100% exactly like it was in Melee? So Roy would need to be changed to not feel like a "clone", therefore not being Roy.
I've yet to find a character that plays like Roy, so, no. Marth and Lucina are slow and neither benefits from a marauder-type swordsman skillset. Lucina can handle getting up close but she doesn't necessarily benefit from it. Ike is pretty much the same--in fact, he's best off if he keeps the enemies zoned out because he'll be combo food otherwise. Shulk's style rewards being up close with two-hit attacks (blade and beam hitboxes with the Monado) but his ending lag requires a more spacing-oriented conscience. Roy had a unique sweetspot location and all the mechanics associated with fire, and he would actually suffer if played with too much spacing between him and the opponent. His overall archetype as a swordsman is still unique in the roster as one that moves fast, closes distance, and stays close until a heavy combo finisher (or until knocked away). A lot of what made Roy so satisfying to play was the cashing in on a successful approach, and Marth certainly can't do that as well anymore, and Lucina's options for continued hits are very limited. Ike is one hit and run, really.

In the Roy thread, an interesting idea came up to add a projectile game to him where his sword would actually emit flames across a distance (just like the SoS could do in Binding Blade), which would ultimately set him very apart from the likes of Marth and Lucina.

See:
So, as for a moveset:

Roy's playstyle is heavily centered on high risk, high reward. Most of his stats are pretty tame: he has moderately high speed, lackluster jumping prowess and somewhat light weight (slightly lighter than Mario). However, Roy's main perk relies on his sword. At the tip, it deals averange damage and knockback, but if you are hit by the blade, you are welcomed with brutal ammounts of damage, and enemies hit at the very hilt of the sword will be sent really far away, even at low percentages. Here's the catch, though; if Roy lands a hit with the hilt of the blade, he recieves recoil damage, which becomes more significant with his stronger moves.

Think of Roy as a merge between his gameplay style and that of Pichu's; most of his attacks hurt him, but the hurt the enemy even more.

• :GCB:- Flare Blade: Roy's signature move. Like Eruption, this move involves Roy charging up his blade before releasing a powerful slash. Charge it too much and it will cause a deadly explosion that hits opponents far away and recoil on Roy. Sweetspotted, this attack can become a OHKO, dealing even more damage to his foes and himself.
    • Great Flare Blade: A variant on his original move. The charge on this on takes less time and has additional range. However, the sweetspot is significantly weaker.
    • Solar Blade: Pretty much the opposite of the original move. Instead of causing a double edged explosion, it will heal Roy if he connects the move with a target, at the expense of killing power. A safer option to compliment Roy's risky playstyle. Based on the Sol skill in Fire Emblem.
  • :GCR:- Peril Dance: A revamp on his original side special, Double Edge Dance. Roy still performs a series of slashes that variate by the player's input, like Marth's Dancing Blade. However, this time Roy releases a wave of flames with every slash he performs. Tilting the joystick at a given direction alters the angle of the waves, and Roy can perform up to three slashes. Based on Roy's ranged attack in FE6.
    • Danger Dance: Like Peril Dance, but only produces a wave on the last wave. This wave, however, is larger and slower, being great for stage control.
    • Double Edge Dance: Roy's classic Side B. This version doesn't produce any waves, making it more viable for combos. First two slashes deal considerable damage and set knockback, while the last one deals brutal knockback.
  • :GCU:- Blazer: Another of Roy's signature moves. Roy charges briefly before rising in a spiral of flames caused by his sword. During the charge, he is invulnerable to knockback and opponents touching Roy will be sent upwards before they get trapped in the fiery tornado Roy engulfs himself in. It can be angled in much more directions than Marth's Dolphin Slash, but doesn't recover as much; to compensate, he won't go into helpless mode after using this move (but he won't be able to use the move again in midair)
    • Rapid Blazer: Roy goes further away with this move than with normal Blazer. However, it doesn't trap enemies in and the charge time is higher.
    • Impact Blazer: The KO variation of this move. It doesn't require a charge before the rising, and at the apex of the jump, it causes a small explosion that sends victims flying away after drilling them all the way up (ew). Doesn't go as far as the regular version, and renders Roy helpless.
  • :GCD:- Counter: Roy's trusty Counter. The window of activation is limited, but deals twice the damage of the attack that connects with the counter.
    • Meteor Counter: Sends opponents plummeting into the ground while only countering half the damage it counters.
    • Mirror Counter: Lasts longer and is able to reflect projectiles, but deals the same amount of damage as the countered attack.
  • :GCA:- Limit Breaker: Roy's Final Smash. Based on Roy's Critical Hit animation when wielding the Sword of Seals, Roy leaps into the air and launches a freaking GINORMOUS fire wave into the battlefield, wreaking havoc on everyone (think of Zero's Genmu Zero move in Mega Man X5/Marvel Vs Capcom 3).

Last edited:

FajitaEata

Smash Rookie
I need someone to find that Japanese poll where Roy was ranked really high in popularity. He may be the weakest lord, but Roy wasn't the least liked. TBH I think more people actually disliked Eliwood (generic do-gooder knight with no personality). Roy was the youngest lord, making even his poor stats seem badass in context.
Eliwood and Roy were equally bland, but at least Eliwood had other more interesting lords in his game so that he didn't have to carry the entire plot alone. I am pretty surprised to hear that he's popular in Japan, maybe the dialogue in the Japanese version did the character more justice.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
That's right! Having 5 Fire Emblem characters in this game would be absolutely heinous! Especially when we already have 5 characters from the Mario series (8 if you count Yoshi, Wario and Dr. Mario) and 5 characters from the Zelda series! Roy's a stupid idea!
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina & Luma, Bowser Jr. - that makes 6. 7 with Dr. Mario, and 9 if you decide to include Wario and Yoshi.

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina & Luma, Bowser Jr. - that makes 6. 7 with Dr. Mario, and 9 if you decide to include Wario and Yoshi.
Stop using Mario reps as an excuse, he's Nintendo's mascot, he will always have more reps than any other game.

Comorant

Smash Cadet
If we're getting another Fire Emblem rep, how about someone a little different with more significance to the franchise they represent? Perhaps Hector or Eliwood? They represent the international release of the series which is pretty big. Hector is an Axe user which makes him different enough from the waves of sword characters, while Eliwood could be a Roy spiritual successor. Plus he comes from a much better game than Roy and sucks less overall within his own series.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
There is so many more deserving Lords then Roy. If I could choose any other lord it would be this guy.

A spear moveset would be super neat just saying. Though this will never happen because Sacred Stones isnt relevant, but neither is Binding Blade.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Stop using Mario reps as an excuse, he's Nintendo's mascot, he will always have more reps than any other game.
Mario and Pokémon had equal number of reps in Brawl, Smash 4 is really the first time that Mario has had 4 more reps than any franchise. Just because Mario is the mascot, should it really have as many character reps as Pokémon, Donkey Kong and StarFox have combined?

If so, fine. But then i better not see any DLC characters for Mario. We have enough.

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
I support the addition of an improved Roy that is less of a clone or not a clone at all for DLC or something of the sort... He's our boy! Let me feel special again when I use a swordsman person of some sort. :roypm:

rhysmorgan

Smash Rookie
NNID
rhysm94
"Earthbound was localized and released on the Wii U's Virtual Console because of Miiverse posts."
What? No, people had been campaigning for many, many, many years for a Wii Virtual Console release of EarthBound. Miiverse had absolutely nothing to do with it.
Also, Miiverse is full of mouth-breathing idiots. It's genuinely one of the stupidest places to be. Stupider than 9gag even. If Miiverse had any kind of influence on Smash Bros characters, we'd have Goku in Smash Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom