• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rougher then the Rest of Them: Knuckles for Smash!

D

Deleted member

His newcomer trailer should say Super Smash Bros. and Knuckles.
This is how his trailer goes.

-this trailer follows Smash Wii U/3DS conventions-

-flaming Smash logo-
-a cartridge for Smash appears-
-it descends-
-....into a familiar Lock-On cartridge....-

-a click is heard as the (unseen) console turns on-
-we go to a TV (the same one in Duck Hunt's trailer)-
-we're greeting with a nostalgic screen-

-But instead of the trigger to get to Blue Sphere, we're instead given the option to "Bring Knuckles to Smash?"-
-A button is pressed, and we're "sucked" into the TV, which then cuts to a match between Mario, Luigi, and Sonic-
-As the two plumbers approach Sonic, Knuckles bursts from the ground underneath ala Sonic 3's opening and cuts them off-
-cue the rest of the trailer like any other trailer as "Knuckles Breaks Out!"-
-at the end when it gets to the Smash Bros. logo, "& Knuckles" is comically added underneath it to reference the meme-

I figure if Knuckles is to be included, they'd have to make reference to that (somewhat) significant piece of gaming history. :V

Some Beedrill

Smash Apprentice
This is how his trailer goes.

-this trailer follows Smash Wii U/3DS conventions-

-flaming Smash logo-
-a cartridge for Smash appears-
-it descends-
-....into a familiar Lock-On cartridge....-

-a click is heard as the (unseen) console turns on-
-we go to a TV (the same one in Duck Hunt's trailer)-
-we're greeting with a nostalgic screen-

-But instead of the trigger to get to Blue Sphere, we're instead given the option to "Bring Knuckles to Smash?"-
-A button is pressed, and we're "sucked" into the TV, which then cuts to a match between Mario, Luigi, and Sonic-
-As the two plumbers approach Sonic, Knuckles bursts from the ground underneath ala Sonic 3's opening and cuts them off-
-cue the rest of the trailer like any other trailer as "Knuckles Breaks Out!"-
-at the end when it gets to the Smash Bros. logo, "& Knuckles" is comically added underneath it to reference the meme-

I figure if Knuckles is to be included, they'd have to make reference to that (somewhat) significant piece of gaming history. :V

Knuckles: Oh no, I'm in Smash Bros.
Silver: IT'S NO USE!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think a second Sonic character is extremely likely. I can't really explain why, but if I'd had to, it's about the fact Sonic is pretty much Nintendo exclusive at the moment. SEGA feels more part of Nintendo than it ever was. Lot's of focus around new Sonic games in Directs and presentations... I think that if I'd had to choose for a second Sonic character, I'd also choose Knuckles.

UserKev

Smash Champion
To me, Knuckles is the most sensible next rep of Sonic. His character just generally scream "Smash" and could work as a noticeable rival to DK, not just Sonic. I'm easily all for Knuckles, not because of his strong rivalry appeal. I really would like to play as a slower, heavier and buff Sonic, if that's what you call it. Knuckles has such move set potential that separates from Sonic's, its exciting. He's a ground base fighter.

That's badass.

D

Deleted member

I'm surprised some of these Sonic threads weren't revived after Sonic Mania. Huh...
I played Sonic Mania and I absolutely love it. While I wish there were more new zones, the game is just amazing and full of new ideas while retaining what made the original games so awesome to play.

But while playing Mania, I had a bit of a revelation that Knuckles is my favorite Sonic character. I always thought he was a really cool character and I loved his playstyle; he wasn't as fast as Sonic and he doesn't jump as high as him, but he made up for it with his gliding ability, helping out with exploring the levels. I played Sonic and Tails first, but I had more fun with Knuckles.

So, consider me a supporter! I wish he was in PM... I was hyped for him the most.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
While I don't mind the idea of Knuckles being a Sonic semi-clone I do hope that they give him a more original moveset in case he does get in.

I suppose he can keep the yellow spring up+B or the down+B spindash, but I'd like everything else to be new and reflect that he's the powerhouse of Sonic's friends. I'd like to see some attacks from Sonic Battle like picking up huge boulders from the ground and chucking them.

D

Deleted member

>Tfw this thread hasn't been active for nearly 2 months & Knuckles
oh no
Anyway, while I'd rather have Tails or Eggman first, Super Smash Bros. & Knuckles doesn't sound half bad. I also think he's more likely than them (Or at least more than Eggman, I can see Tails getting in before Knuckles does) because he's much more of a fighter than both of them, so count me in. & Knuckles
But if Unknown from ME doesn't play in his newcomer trailer then I ****ing quit Smash

Last edited by a moderator:

Quillion

Smash Hero
But is there any good reason that there should be more than one character per third-party franchise?

Two per third-party company is fine, but per franchise? I don't see it. Knuckles isn't a good idea, and neither are similar choices like Proto Man, Ken, Jeanne, or Terra.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I remember making an old roster using the beta screen for Melee's roster, that had only a small few members on it. Or maybe it was from an earlier testing build people could play.

Anyway, Knuckles was one of the characters. I've also made a full out moveset some time back, before Brawl even. I also made one for Rouge, which was rather different in comparison.

D

Deleted member

But is there any good reason that there should be more than one character per third-party franchise?

Two per third-party company is fine, but per franchise? I don't see it. Knuckles isn't a good idea, and neither are similar choices like Proto Man, Ken, Jeanne, or Terra.
1. Going to a support thread just to discredit a character comes off as rude and disrespectful to the supporters. You don't see me going to the Sora support thread saying "lol hes disney not happening lol"
2. Is there a good reason as to why there shouldn't be? Seriously, it's a fan rule that's just bound to be broken, just like "only one 3rd party per company".
3. Sonic is one of the most famous franchises in gaming, and has very close ties to Nintendo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
1. Going to a support thread just to discredit a character comes off as rude and disrespectful to the supporters. You don't see me going to the Sora support thread saying "lol hes disney not happening lol"
2. Is there a good reason as to why there shouldn't be? Seriously, it's a fan rule that's just bound to be broken, just like "only one 3rd party per company".
3. Sonic is one of the most famous franchises in gaming, and has very close ties to Nintendo.
To be fair, he isn't being rude or disrespectful. He's just voicing his opinion in a reasonable manner.

I'd like more reasons to why it's a bad idea, though. I mean, I agree with the idea too, but only because I view 3rd party franchises as a guest franchise and don't think it should get special treatment.

Never thought the fanrule meant much(although ironically even 3rd party is tied to another company instead of just one. Bayonetta is literally the only time we got 2 third parties per company. It's just partially tied to Platinum Games. Ryu and MegaMan are owned by different versions of Capcom, Capcom USA and Capcom Co. LTD, who actually have to be licensed separately. Bayonetta and Sonic are both licensed to Sega. Bayonetta is also partially owned by Nintendo).

Anyway, I'm not sure having close ties to Nintendo will mean much. Sakurai isn't trying to play favorites. He didn't randomly add Pac-Man because Namco-Bandai helped developed the game, he added him because they finally gave him ideas he liked that implemented him in an interesting way. Miyamoto wanted Pac-Man in since Brawl, but didn't make it.

That said, Sonic does feel most likely to break this silly fan rule, but only because it had multiple iconic characters. A big issue is which character has the same gaming impact as Sonic and really made a huge difference. Knuckles and Tails introduced new things to the series, but didn't do as much. IMO, Shadow seems like he really broke the mold. Mostly due to creating the e10+ rating, which matters a lot. Anyway, there's a lot of neat good choices. Knuckles, Tails, Eggman, Shadow(for the most 4 that are popular, respectively. Not in any particular order).

D

Deleted member

Never thought the fanrule meant much(although ironically even 3rd party is tied to another company instead of just one. Bayonetta is literally the only time we got 2 third parties per company. It's just partially tied to Platinum Games. Ryu and MegaMan are owned by different versions of Capcom, Capcom USA and Capcom Co. LTD, who actually have to be licensed separately. Bayonetta and Sonic are both licensed to Sega. Bayonetta is also partially owned by Nintendo).
Touche. That's very specific, but fair enough.
That said, Sonic does feel most likely to break this silly fan rule, but only because it had multiple iconic characters. A big issue is which character has the same gaming impact as Sonic and really made a huge difference. Knuckles and Tails introduced new things to the series, but didn't do as much. IMO, Shadow seems like he really broke the mold. Mostly due to creating the e10+ rating, which matters a lot. Anyway, there's a lot of neat good choices. Knuckles, Tails, Eggman, Shadow(for the most 4 that are popular, respectively. Not in any particular order).
I feel that Tails is the most likely, but who knows? Nintendo kinda hopped on to the meme train, so we might see Knuckles (who is an officially recognized Sonic meme).
I'd like to see Eggman myself, but I'd be okay with Tails, Knuckles, or to an extent Shadow.

Quillion

Smash Hero
but only because I view 3rd party franchises as a guest franchise and don't think it should get special treatment.
See, that's the thing. There shouldn't be any third party franchise that gets special treatment because there's a big chance the developers could go overboard with it.

And the "one per third party franchise" rule may be unwritten, but it doesn't mean it shouldn't be followed.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
See, that's the thing. There shouldn't be any third party franchise that gets special treatment because there's a big chance the developers could go overboard with it.

And the "one per third party franchise" rule may be unwritten, but it doesn't mean it shouldn't be followed.
It doesn't mean it should be followed either. It's likely not even a rule as much as a guideline to consider.

Also, part of the issue is that people are solely looking at it as reps as well. While true, if a 3rd party franchise has a character who is iconic enough, the character alone is fine for that reason. It's not special treatment in that case because they're not looking at making the franchise bigger, but looking at another iconic character to choose.

Reps aren't everything. They are a factor, but it's nothing more than a guideline, and even then, we don't really know if Sakurai even remotely follows one like that. There can easily be other factors that have nothing to do with that(like Sega only wanting Sonic in, or would charge too much for any other character. Keep in mind they keep focusing on "only playable Sonic" extremely often, so it's quite possible).

Adding another character for the sake of it is silly of course. Adding another icon on their own merits is not. The Sonic series in this case has multiple major icons, more than just Sonic. So those all are notable enough to get in as is. Other franchises have some similarities 3rd party-wise. Street Fighter has more than one major icon beyond Ryu, Final Fantasy has at least Black Mage as well. I'm not sure Zero of MegaMan is nearly iconic enough to be on his level so much as very popular among gamers. Pac-Man has the 4 main Ghosts, obviously, who are also very iconic. I think that's the only good examples among the current franchises, though.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Adding another character for the sake of it is silly of course. Adding another icon on their own merits is not. The Sonic series in this case has multiple major icons, more than just Sonic. So those all are notable enough to get in as is. Other franchises have some similarities 3rd party-wise. Street Fighter has more than one major icon beyond Ryu, Final Fantasy has at least Black Mage as well. I'm not sure Zero of MegaMan is nearly iconic enough to be on his level so much as very popular among gamers. Pac-Man has the 4 main Ghosts, obviously, who are also very iconic. I think that's the only good examples among the current franchises, though.
I personally thought breaking the "one per company rule" was a good idea, but one per franchise should still be a limit. There are other companies that need a chance.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I personally thought breaking the "one per company rule" was a good idea, but one per franchise should still be a limit. There are other companies that need a chance.
Not like either have ever been some actual rule. Heck, Sakurai has mentioned nothing of the sort either way. People are just applying things they think exist.

Fanrules can be safely ignored since they're nothing more than predictions, ones that are often not as realistic as we once thought.

I don't see an issue as long as the character fits what is supposed to matter anyway, stuff like being iconic, unique, and can add to the game's balance.

rlwrgh

Smash Apprentice
He makes the most sense as an addition from sonic. As far as moves easiest in my opinion simi clone. Same up b b could be a punch almost like falcon punch. I also think based on sorce material he needs wall clinging/ jumping in his kit.

D

Deleted member

There are other companies that need a chance.
That's not how it works.
Not only aren't guests picked based on company, but someone like Knuckles (since this is his thread) getting in doesn't mean some other unrelated guest won't in direct consequence.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I went looking for the Knuckles thread to see if it was Called "Super Smash Bros. for Switch... & Knuckles". I know overused meme.. I'll shut up about that now.

Anyway since I'm here gotta say out of all the sonic characters I'd want to see in smash Knuckles is far above most of them. The only other character from Sonic I'd want to see would be Dr Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik. Shadow can stay an assist trophy.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Knuckles would be awesome hopefully he'll be better than the discount Mii Brawler costume Knuckles we got.

fusroyay20

Smash Rookie
This is serious!

As much as I want Shadow and Silver, this is good too. I now apologize for Knuckles Forces.

D

Deleted member

This is serious!

As much as I want Shadow and Silver, this is good too. I now apologize for Knuckles Forces.
At first I was like, "why is Mephiles there...?"
Then I remembered who voiced him.

Clever.

GoldTrainRider

Smash Cadet
Would seem like a welcome member to the crew seeing as Sonic only has 1 rep. He may be overshadowed by tails, however.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Count me in as a supoorter. I'll lake any Sonic rep so long as they aren't in Sonic's Shadow and become a clone

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
I'd much rather have Eggman, but I do like Knuckles a lot and would infinitely prefer him to Tails or Shadow (or *shudders* Amy).

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Imagine we get a knuckles trailer reveal and it ends with the Smash bros logo on the screen with "& Knuckles"

Writes itself

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
In some ways, I think Knux could be more plausible than Tails. He's more of a fighter, and his strength would be in contrast to Sonic's speed, which would be a fun battle. He's in my top...4 most wanted.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I also fully support, he'd rather flex his muscles.

EDIT: Man I was kind of hoping Knux to be playable, but I guess being an assist is better than nothing...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well sadly the Assist Trophy roll probably means he won't be in Ultimate unless that theory of them promoting Assists to playable characters via DLC ends up holding water to it.

But there's always next time! Consider me a Knuckles supporter.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I didn't care of Knuckles until I saw his assist trophy gameplay. I like how they animated him and how his punch combo comes directly from Sonic Advance.
Now I want Knuckles in Smash, too bad that I realized it just the moment when it was disconfirmed.

Anyway, he, just like Krystal and maybe someone else, seems to be more developed than most assist trophies... maybe they planned to have him as playable and changed their mind at some point... who knows.

The only thing that I don't like of his AT moveset is that he has an homing attack... sure he may have had it in a couple of games (I think mostly spin-offs such as Sonic Dash), but for some reason I think it doesn't fit the character too much.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Well sadly the Assist Trophy roll probably means he won't be in Ultimate unless that theory of them promoting Assists to playable characters via DLC ends up holding water to it.

But there's always next time! Consider me a Knuckles supporter.
Where did the theory come from?

D

Deleted member

Where did the theory come from?
It's hard to pinpoint a concrete "base" source honestly. It's something a lot of people have been saying and I'm sure quite a few of them came up with it on their own. Personally it's not a theory I put too much credit in. Doesn't seem like something the developers would do and the only reason I can see for why people are saying it is out of a sense of vain hope for characters like Waluigi. The theory itself doesn't actually seem to any proof behind it.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I know he's deconfirmed, and to be honest I'm just happy to see him as an assist trophy. That said, he's my most-wanted Sonic rep under Eggman and Metal Sonic. I LOVE Knuckles. S3K is my favorite Sonic game. Knuckles as a character is fun, funny, and entertaining. He's always associated with great music, too, which means Unknown From ME in Smash and that is truly a golden timeline.

I don't see his chances positively at all at this point even with DLC but can I dream? Yes. Yes I can.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
This was most likely brought up in the thread but does it bother anyone that the Knuckles assist trophy uses a homing attack?

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
No don’t bug me at all. Think the idea of him popping out of the ground and giving a homing attack could work in an actual Sonic game. Beside he does use the homing attack in a game or two

It's hard to pinpoint a concrete "base" source honestly. It's something a lot of people have been saying and I'm sure quite a few of them came up with it on their own. Personally it's not a theory I put too much credit in. Doesn't seem like something the developers would do and the only reason I can see for why people are saying it is out of a sense of vain hope for characters like Waluigi. The theory itself doesn't actually seem to any proof behind it.
While that would be cool to see a lot of them get the promotion... I agree.

it just doesn’t work, how would someone with the dlc, and some not with the dlc, playing together in for fun workout? The characters the player has bought the dlc for can’t pop out of the AT

Top Bottom