• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rougher then the Rest of Them: Knuckles for Smash!

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
The Guardian that's Tougher Then Leather!

Who is Knuckles?

The guardian of Angel Island and the Master Emerald, Knuckles is the last member of his clan. He first appeared in 1994's Sonic the Hedgehog 3, and remains one of the most popular characters in the franchise.
Although introduced as a rival to Sonic, Knuckles' most prominent roles since have been as an ally, often being the power fighter of the main protagonist trio.

Knuckles is clever and knows how to use the environment to fight, but he is gullible and easily-deceived. He also has a short temper and can be enraged easily.
After his debut in 1994, Knuckles has appeared in almost every main-series Sonic game, and has appeared in every Mario & Sonic title to date. He has also appeared in every Smash game since Brawl as a trophy, background element, sticker and Mii Costume.

Why should Knuckles be in Smash?

Knuckles is one of the main characters in the Sonic franchise, and he'd be a great character to add some flavor to the Sonic characters. Alongside Tails, he makes a perfect newcomer for the Sonic franchise; he'd provide a unique power fighter variation of Sonic without being a clone or even very similar to Sonic at all.

Additionally, Knuckles is known for his physical prowess and lacks many of the techniques Sonic does, such as the Homing Attack. Knuckles has appeared in all the most recent Sonic titles, meaning he remains relevant.

What would Knuckles even play like?

General Misc.

Victory Music - Ending of Unknown from M.E.
Victory Pose #1 - Knuckles does an uppercut and smashes the ground.
Victory Pose #2 - Knuckles laughs with his arms crossed.
Victory Pose #3 - Knuckles does a flurry of punches, then poses.

Stats:

Weight Value: 107
Fall Speed: 1.45
Air Speed: 1.0
Jump Height: Same as Sonic's
Dash Speed: 2.1
Walk Speed: 1.32

Standard Attacks:
A - A single punch. When held, enters a flurry of punches, similar to Fox. 3% per hit.
Up-A - A quick punch upward. 4%.
Side-A - A fast thrust punch. 4%.
Down-A - A leg sweep. 3%.

Up-Smash - A powerful uppercut. 7%.
Side-Smash - A strong thrusting punch. 9%.
Down-Smash - A punch to the ground that causes an burst effect.

Up-Aerial - An upward flurry of punches. 7%.
Forward-Aerial - Knuckles slams both of his fists down in front of him, causing 6% and causing a meteor.
Back-Aerial - A flurry of kicks. 8%.
Down-Aerial - A strong kick that acts as a meteor, and causes 9%.

Grab - Knuckles grabs his foe in his large hands.
Pummel - Knuckles punches his foe. 3% per hit.

Up-Throw - Knuckles holds his foe over his head and rapidly bashes them in the stomach. 10%.
Forward-Throw - Knuckles smashes his foes into the ground repeatedly. 7%.
Back-Throw - Knuckles grabs his foe and forcefully tosses them behind him. 8%.
Down-Throw - Knuckles smashes his foe into the ground and rapidly punches his foe. 9%.

Neutral Special - Knuckles charges up and lunges forwards with the Maximum Heat Knuckles Attack. Does 6%-15%, depending on charge.
Up-Special - Knuckles does a powerful uppercut that acts a combo finisher and lets him gain altitude in the air. Does 9%.
Side-Special - Knuckles charges forwards in a glide. Does 10%.
Down-Special - Knuckles uses the Spin Dash; a slower but more powerful version of Sonic's.

Final Smash - Super Knuckles: Knuckles uses the power of the Chaos Emeralds to transform into his Super form. This form renders Knuckles invulnerable to knockback and doubles the power of his attacks.

Alternate Costumes
Red - Default costume.
Blue - Based on the famous "Blue Knuckles" glitch from Sonic 3.
Green - Replaces Knuckles' red fur with green. Based on the initial concept for Knuckles.
Yellow - Based on Super Sonic.
Pink - Based on Super Knuckles.
Purple - Based on Blaze the Cat.

Miscellaneous
Trophy Description: "Known as the rather hot-headed protector of the Master Emerald, this knucklehead is a close friend of Sonic's, though the two butt heads often. Knuckles is gullible, but only because he believes in the goodness of everyone; he often falls for Dr. Eggman's lies. His favorite food is fruit, but he especially likes grapes. He's physically powerful, and he uses his large fists to climb walls and the dread-like spines on his head to glide. How does that even work? Only Knuckles knows."

Alt. Trophy Description: "Although he's not quite as fast as Sonic, Knuckles is a formidable foe all the same, thanks to his high-damage attacks. He's fairly heavy and capable of dishing big damage quickly. His Maximum Heat Knuckles Attack is strong, but leaves him vulnerable when charging. His Power Glide allows him to both attack and recover, while his Uppercut allows him to gain height (and pummel his foes!). His Spin Dash is a tad slower then Sonic's, but is more powerful."

Supporters:
Dastardly Ridleylash Dastardly Ridleylash
AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27
Kirbeh Kirbeh
Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan
@Xeno VII
Knuckles the Knuckles Knuckles the Knuckles
dangeraaron10 dangeraaron10
@GoldenYuiitusin
tatatat0 tatatat0
White Light White Light
Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming
FunAtParties FunAtParties
Fire Emblemier Fire Emblemier
@Tord the Red Leader
Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman
PsychoJosh PsychoJosh
Mythra Mythra

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Oh no.

Jokes aside, let me support Knuckles. That red hothead was always my favorite Sonic character next to Shadow and Eggman. There's a lot they can pull with him, even if they were to have some Sonic Battle attacks in his arsenal.

By the way, I'm excited to play as him in Sonic Mania.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I also support Sanic's star enchilada. It's kind of chilly today...

If I may suggest some colors though, I think these would fit him well.
-A darker red based on Mighty
-Another green based on Vector
-A purple/magenta based on Espio
-A yellow/black based on Charmy
-A lighter red based on Tikal

Unfortunate as it is, if we ever did get Knuckles, we'd likely only get different shades of red similar to how Sonic has been handled.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I support the red echidna that doesn't chuckle and would rather flex his muscles.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Congratulations Dastardly Ridleylash Dastardly Ridleylash

It seems like the whole of Smashboards is right behind you! Knuckles has like 50 support threads and countless socials now!

(in all seriousness, go ahead and add me to support Knuckles. I'd love to see a version of Sonic that's slower but more powerful, along with digging and potentially gliding).

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Good to see that the entirety of the Smashboards community has finally decided on a common character we can all support. Oh excuse me, I meant the Knuckles Boards: Knuckles & Knuckles.

D

Deleted member

I'm more of a Shadow guy, but Knuckles is someone I wouldn't mind seeing in the slightest. He was the one I was hyped for in Project M before it got cancelled.

I guess sign me up in spirit of Knuckles Day & Knuckles.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
*sigh* I hate April Fool's Day.

I like Knuckles, and the meme is fine, but why does SmashBoards always do these ****ty meme jokes on April Fool's?

Maybe I'd like to actually see my Luna Loud avatar.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905

I like Knuckles, and the meme is fine, but why does SmashBoards always do these ****ty meme jokes on April Fool's?

It's the spirit of April Fools; everyone plays a joke on someone for a day. Honestly, KnucklesBoards should just be a theme. :p

Though I honest to god did not expect my thread to be so well-timed. :p

dangeraaron10

Smash Master

It's only for a day, mate. It brought a smile to my face, anyway.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

And now I'm Hyper Knuckles and I'm tying in pink.

This is just awkward after watching a certain Death Battle.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I would honestly 100% support Knuckles being in Smash. All the fanmade movesets from Brawl were pretty good, and I wouldn't mind seeing what Sakurai himself would do with the musclehead.

Then again, that might just be the subliminal messaging talking.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I support Knuckles, & Knuckles too while we're at it.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Shaqboards
Emblemboards
Now Knuckles3&Knucklesboards.
I love this place and support Knuckles fullheartedly

D

Deleted member

All hail Knuckles and Knuckles. Our true lord and savior.

Bandana Dee3

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0379-7875-6874
I fully support
Now time to put all of KNUCKLES' quotes from Sonic Adventure.

• As far back as I can remember, I've been living here on this dark island. Always guarding the Master Emerald from anything that could harm it. I don't know why I was given this job, why it was my fate, destined to be here forever...
  • I'll probably be on this floating island forever, guarding the Master Emerald again. I may not know the whole story behind this, but perhaps it's better that way. I'm at peace once more.
  • He stole my Chaos Emeralds... and Chaos... is still alive...
  • (After Chaos disappears without warning) What's happening to you? Get back here!
  • (After Dr. Eggman has summoned Chaos) Chaos? It's that creature again! The same one I saw on my Island. He was there when the Master Emerald shattered. I'm sure of it. He saved me the trouble of looking for him. Now I'll get him good.
  • Give it your best shot! (Said during battle with Sonic/Tails)
  • I wonder why Sonic is after the Master Emerald... I'd better work fast and get to the bottom of this.
  • (After being transported to the past via a Vision) Where in the world am I? I don't remember being here before, but something about it... is familliar. Hmmm... this is very strange.
  • Alright, put em up! Hand over the Emerald now!
  • It's up to me to find the missing pieces of the Master Emerald... it won't be easy, pieces flew off everywhere. Guess I'd better start looking everywhere I can.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I fully support
Now time to put all of KNUCKLES' quotes from Sonic Adventure.

• As far back as I can remember, I've been living here on this dark island. Always guarding the Master Emerald from anything that could harm it. I don't know why I was given this job, why it was my fate, destined to be here forever...
  • I'll probably be on this floating island forever, guarding the Master Emerald again. I may not know the whole story behind this, but perhaps it's better that way. I'm at peace once more.
  • He stole my Chaos Emeralds... and Chaos... is still alive...
  • (After Chaos disappears without warning) What's happening to you? Get back here!
  • (After Dr. Eggman has summoned Chaos) Chaos? It's that creature again! The same one I saw on my Island. He was there when the Master Emerald shattered. I'm sure of it. He saved me the trouble of looking for him. Now I'll get him good.
  • Give it your best shot! (Said during battle with Sonic/Tails)
  • I wonder why Sonic is after the Master Emerald... I'd better work fast and get to the bottom of this.
  • (After being transported to the past via a Vision) Where in the world am I? I don't remember being here before, but something about it... is familliar. Hmmm... this is very strange.
  • Alright, put em up! Hand over the Emerald now!
  • It's up to me to find the missing pieces of the Master Emerald... it won't be easy, pieces flew off everywhere. Guess I'd better start looking everywhere I can.
But how can you miss the best Knuckles quote of all time?

"Oh no!" :p

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I highly doubt that Knuckles can be playable.

The Prime Directive of Super Smash Bros is to be a Nintendo all-star game. That being said, one would react by saying, "then why do we have third party characters already in the game?" Simple. If Nintendo doesn't own them, third party characters don't even deserve to be in the game, they're just celebrity guest appearances. Keyword GUEST, not a member of the family, and as such, adding a second character from the same third party franchise would throw the game out of balance.

Not only that. Nintendo will not accept any third party character except for the most iconic, memorable, and recognizeable ones. They have stayed true to this so far, and no Sonic character fits those requirements but Sonic himself.

Bandana Dee3

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0379-7875-6874

The Prime Directive of Super Smash Bros is to be a Nintendo all-star game. That being said, one would react by saying, "then why do we have third party characters already in the game?" Simple. If Nintendo doesn't own them, third party characters don't even deserve to be in the game, they're just celebrity guest appearances. Keyword GUEST, not a member of the family, and as such, adding a second character from the same third party franchise would throw the game out of balance.

Not only that. Nintendo will not accept any third party character except for the most iconic, memorable, and recognizeable ones. They have stayed true to this so far, and no Sonic character fits those requirements but Sonic himself.
Honestly Smash Bros lost the name all star NINTENDO game since Cloud and Bayo were announced

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905

There's no "rules" to third-parties that necessitates that only one character per third-party franchise is allowed. Never has, and never will. Also, third-parties have been planned since Melee; so claiming it's "only Nintendo's all-stars" is factually wrong. Not to mention The Pokemon Company.

Which third-party character is more iconic and memorable,:4pacman: or :4bayonetta:? Also, if we're going by iconic status, surely :snake: wouldn't have been cut at all? :p To quote Sakurai himself;

However the biggest reason for the inclusion of Miis was because “anyone can join.” I know that having even a single character be playable in Smash is very important to those fans. I get requests from fans all over the world. With no regard for things like production costs, copyright, and even requests for characters that aren’t in games. Even if it is impossible, that these fans want those characters to be playable in Smash is a real desire.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The "Nintendo All-Star" subtitle was only ever present in the Japanese version of 64. Every subsequent game in the series has been simply called Dairantou Smash Bros. DX/X/for 3DS/for Wii U in Japan, and as already mentioned, third parties were planned since Melee.

Also, how are two of the most famous sidekicks not named Luigi and one of, if not the most famous gaming villains yet to be playable in Smash not "iconic, memorable, and recognizable" enough?

D

Deleted member

If all you're going to do is your usual brand of anti-Sonic rambling, then just stay out of the thread Cliff. No one cares what you have to say on the matter.

Especially in a goddamn SUPPORT THREAD that you went out of your way to make a post about it just because you saw it existed. And before you inevitably go into the other Sonic characters' threads to spout off your fabricated "prime directive" logic some more while conveniently ignoring the Final Fantasy characters' and Mega Man characters' threads despite it applying to them too, read Speculation Rule number 9:

Cyndane said:
9. Detracting is a touchy subject. It is absolutely okay to want or not want a specific character. It is okay to express that opinion. It is not okay to be rude about it. Know that going into a character's support thread and making negative comments will have different consequences than posting it in a general thread or for an unrelated character. If you do this, try to be courteous and polite and open to ideas.
You have no excuse this time.

EDIT: Wow, he's already done this in Tails' and Eggman's threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

If all you're going to do is your usual brand of anti-Sonic rambling, then just stay out of the thread Cliff. No one cares what you have to say on the matter.

Especially in a goddamn SUPPORT THREAD that you went out of your way to make a post about it just because you saw it existed. And before you inevitably go into the other Sonic characters' threads to spout off your fabricated "prime directive" logic some more while conveniently ignoring the Final Fantasy characters' and Mega Man characters' threads despite it applying to them too, read Speculation Rule number 9:

You have no excuse this time.
He ignored Zero's thread as well.

EDIT: Never mind. I see you edited your post.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

He ignored Zero's thread as well.

EDIT: Never mind. I see you edited your post.
Yeah, I didn't know Zero had a thread until looking at the front page since I was going by the main list of threads that hadn't been updated with his yet. :V

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I like Knuckles, and I support a second Sonic rep. Project M made me excited for Knuckles' potential.

If I'm honest though, it's either him or Eggman if a second Sonic rep gets in, and in that case I'm kind of inclined to go with Eggman, simply because he has less similarity to Sonic and offers a bit more variety.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What if he got in as a semi-clone of Sonic?

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
What if he got in as a semi-clone of Sonic?
Then yeah, I'd prefer Eggman.

I'm okay with Knuckles having a few similar attacks or animations to Sonic, since the way they both play in their original games are very similar. But if they don't give Knuckles enough uniqueness then I'd honestly prefer Eggman because there's no way he could play like Sonic. Not to say that Sonic is bad, it's just that I don't like clones.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I dig fists with spikes.
Supported yo.

Top Bottom