• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Satisfaction Discussion Thread

What is your opinion of the character choices for Super Smash Bros. 4?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Khao

Smash Lord
Before the leak:
This roster is ****ing awesome, I know there's probably quite a few more characters coming, but the game could honestly be released with just these characters and I'd be all over it.

After the leak:
Some weird choices and missing some of my most wanted characters, but **** that, favorites or not, the sheer amount of unique characters in this game is just outstanding, and far above my expectations, not only that, but there might even be a few characters missing! If was up to me, there'd be a few different choices here and there, but I'm very satisfied.

Kinda want to post thoughts about every newcomer and the cuts, so I'll just post this right away and edit in a moment, cause it may take a while. (or not, dunno how much I'll say about them.)

:4villager: VILLAGER:
I remember back in Brawl days, there were cults praying for an "Animal Crosser" to make it into the game, and it got especially louder after the stage was announced with it's own logo. I guess those people are happy now. As a character, I generally don't care about this guy, I mean, I don't dislike it, but it wasn't in my wishlist or anything like that. But, I then freaking saw him in action, and now I really freaking want to try him out! Some of his moves are stupidly clever and creative and absolutely ****ing hilarious, so now even though I never particularly cared about his inclusion, I'm ****ing glad he made it in, because we got an awesome character who'll probably become an absolute Smash classic in the long run.

:4megaman: MEGA MAN:
Hype has physical form, and it looks like a blue robot. What the heck can I say about this guy? I wanted him since before I even was a Mega Man fan because I always generally liked him, but after playing every single game in the classic and X series something around 2-3 years ago, I had been hoping for his inclusion.

I'm proud to say that I recognized him as soon as his silouette appeared in the distance, before his helmet appeared with the iconic sound effect, and I got excited immediately. And then I saw him up close, and it was the best ****ing 3D recreation of classic Mega Man I've ever seen. I was kinda dissapointed at first that he didn't actually have a fancy weapon-switching system in his moveset, but **** it, he looks extremely fun to use and has some of the most unique standard attacks in the whole Smash Bros universe.

:4wiifit: Wii Fit TRAINER:
I laughed.

Then, I laughed.

I laughed once more.

Then I got sad.

Then I laughed again.

****ing brilliant.

:rosalina: ROSALINA & LUMA:
I wrote a lenghty text about her, but it got erased for whatever reason and I can't CTRL-Z it back, oh well, I pretty much talked about how I didn't particularly want her but was happy that she got in anyway, and how much I love what they did with her moveset. Moving on.

:4littlemac:LITTLE MAC:
****. Yes.
This is one of the only characters I both wanted and expected, so I got really excited while watching his trailer. They managed to turn what most would think would be an extremely generic figher, and made someone that just looks ****ing fun to play as. Leaving his K.O. thingy aside, his moveset, as in taking each move he can do separately, he's not particularly interesting, but it's just his general playstyle that makes him really exciting to me. This guy is both fast and hard-hitting, something you rarely ever see in fighting games period, he's like a ****ing unstoppable machine. I actually got the chance to try this guy at the E3 demo, on 3DS. But I wasted it, played on the Spirit Tracks stage on a 4-player match, and got my ass kicked, couldn't tell what was going on because of the zoomed-out camera. I really want to get a proper look at him soon, because this guy has some serious "I'm ****ing maining him" potential.

:4greninja: GRENINJA:
Pretty much my first thoughts were "Really? Guess it makes sense, neat."

I like Pokémon games, but don't particularly care about which Pokémon makes it in (at least for myself) so I didn't have much thoughts on him. Which is weird, as I chose Froakie in Pokémon X just because I liked this guy's design and was probably my most used Pokémon throughout the whole game. Guess I just don't really care for what things Pokémon gets in Smash as long as they're getting something.

I have to say, and this is starting to become a trend, that even though I didn't care about this guy getting in, his moveset convinced me immediately that he was freaking worth it. Seriously, when it comes to movesets this has been the best batch of newcomers we've ever gotten. And I mean it. Ever.

:4mii: Mii FIGHTERS:
I wanted this.

So ****ing badly.

For real.

Not necesarily because of the Miis themselves (though I kinda wanted to see that too) but because I've been wanting Smash to have customizable characters ever since I first played Soul Calibur 3 on the PS2, and while this is not as extensive as the character creator in that game, I'm still excited about it finally happening when I wasn't expecting it to happen ever.

Every time I see someone throwing **** at the Miis, there's a part of me gets kinda mad. It's like you're not exactly seeing what Miis actually mean. This is not about Smash Bros getting some Mii representation because Miis are a real character that should be fighting alonside some of the biggest gaming icons. This is about Smash finally getting a character creator, and Miis were just the perfect form of doing that. I applaud Sakurai for choosing to add them, they really were some really good news to me.

:4palutena:PALUTENA:
This is the other character that I both wanted and expected. Everyone else has been just one of the two, or none.

I fell in love with Kid Icarus Uprising.

It's seriously one of the best games I've played in recent times, it's fun, has a very "different" style of gameplay, it's hilariously cheesy, it's pretty, just... This game... This ****ing game, oh god.

So yes, I definitely wanted a second Kid Icarus character and thought that Palutena was a ****ing perfect fit and was miles ahead every single other character in the game in how likely I thought they could happen. Just ignoring that she's pretty much the most important character behind Pit, it'd be really easy to make a moveset out of her, and at her very basics, she has something that absolutely no other character (until that point) had in the whole series.

One, she uses a staff. "Long" weapons just haven't happened in Smash before.

Two, she's a magic that also wields a weapon.

Those two things alone would already make her different enough to every else, and she ended up being very similar to how I imagined her, I just ****ing kew she'd have the various powers from Kid Icarus in some way or another, and like I thought, she both uses her staff and magic as main forms of attack. So yes, you have no idea how happy I am that she made it.

:4pacman: PAC-MAN:
Something funny happened with Pac-Man.

I didn't want him. Like, I don't mean "Oh, don't really care if he gets in" like I've said with other characters, I plainly didn't want him to be a playable character.

And I recognized he had a big chance of making it, but I didn't expect him.

But when he was announced, I got ****ing excited. It's ****ing weird, I don't even mean when I saw him, when a guy at that private developer thingy after E3 was posting text info on what Sakurai was talking about mentioned Pac-Man, I just... I was just excited about it somehow, I didn't want him to get in, but after the announcement, it was as if I always did. And then I saw him and holy **** was I confused about my feelings, he's seriously one of the best newcomers we've gotten so far, since then, I've started to see how ****ing awesome it is that we have Mario, Mega Man, Sonic and Pac-Man all together in one place. This is only possible in Smash Bros, and I couldn't be happier that it came true. Bad past Khao. Bad.

:4lucina:LUCINA:
"Holy ****, for real?!" Was my first reaction.

I thought for sure that Fire Emblem was only getting one new character, and that it would be Chrom. I was convinced about it, there was absolutely no doubt in my mind. Fire Emblem would end with Ike, Marth, and Chrom, that'd be it's whole roster.

So this came as a huge main blowing announcement at the time.

.... But then they showed gameplay.

"Oh, that move's from Marth! Neat!"

"And that one too!"

"And that one..."

"And that one..."

"She's a Marth clone, isn't she?"

I'm aware that she is a bonus character who was added as an afterthought and is barely even using any resources, but that just makes it lamer, it's like she's not a real addition to the roster.

I don't hate her or anything, will likely even play as her quite often if she has differences from Marth beyond the sweetspot thing, but this is the first character in the roster to get a completely perfect MEH rating from me.

:4robinm: ROBIN: :4robinf:
Yes. Just yes.

Just like with Lucina, I was shocked, not only are we getting two new FE characters, but none of them is Chrom? Fuuuuuuuuuuuck. Sakurai is ****ing insane. But I like it.

Smash needed this guy. Sword+Magic=Pure awesome. This is another case of "character I don't really care about but really want to play as because of his moveset." I don't even have much to say, Robin looks fun to play as, and he's got a cool concept with the limited weapon deal, I'm really curious to see how exactly will that work out and I can't wait to try him out.

:4shulk:SHULK:
Very excited over this guy. Xenoblade instantly became one of my favorite RPGs ever, so to see some Xenoblade representation in Smash Bros is just amazing. I would have been okay not getting him, I aknowledged he had a pretty big chance to make it, but I didn't really expect him anyway (not like I did with Little Mac and Palutena anyway) but I still hoped they'd add him in, so I'm ****ing happy about it. It also really makes up for the fact that we're getting no Isaac, who's another character I really wanted.

About his moveset, he's looking great, pretty standard as far as normal attacks go save for the extremely insane range, but I can definitely see the different Monado modes becoming a really fun and useful mechanic in both casual and competitive scenarios.

BOWSER Jr:

Like with a few others, this one gets a huge meh as a character. I don't give a **** about him, didn't want him, didn't need it, and honestly, pretty much every moveset idea I've seen has sounded incredibly boring and generic, the brush thingy doesn't really add anything new.

That's why my mind was blown when I saw him mounting the Koopa Clown Car, that's just genius. I doubt I'd play as this guy often, and I wouldn't really mind if he was gone. But if he had to get in, I'm glad it was like this, because it's a fantastic idea.

DARK PIT:

Blah. Good choice as far as clones go, but I don't think he was needed. If he gets an original moveset, cool (even though I'd prefer him as a semi-clone, as weird as that probably sounds) but I don't think we needed both him and Palutena, one Kid Icarus newcomer was enough. Not mad, just don't think he adds anything worthwhile.

:drmario:Dr. MARIO:
Not really a newcomer but...

**** him.

I don't even know what else to say, Dr. Mario shouldn't ever have been a separate character from Mario, because he's literally Mario with a Doctor costume. I don't even mean moveset-wise, he could have a different moveset for all I care, but he'd simply work better as an alternate costume because as a character, that's exactly what he is. Even if he had a new moveset, this is the most boring addition in the entire franchise.

DUCK HUNT:

Oh.

My.

God.

Whoever got this idea.

I love them.

There's not much I can say about him before seeing him in action, but I definitely love the idea, perfect choice for the mandatory retro character

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Wow, your avatar @ kylexv kylexv , long time no-see AATTVVV.

Either way, I actually voted that I don't even like half of the newcomers, because I don't, but I do like to put emphasis on the ones I do like.

I do like:

:4greninja::4megaman::4lucina::4robinm::4littlemac:(and Bowser Jr)

I don't like:

:4palutena::4pacman::4mii::rosalina::4wiifit: (and Dark Pit)

I'm neutral towards:
:4villager::4shulk: (and Duck Hunt Dog)

Even though I do like six of the newcomers I only plan to play three of them since Little Mac, Robin and Mega Man's playstyles don't really fit so well with mine. I like them because they're worthwhile inclusions and will be fun to match up against though. Still, like I said I do like to put emphasis on the ones I do like, so I'm still excited to try Greninja, Lucina and Bowser Jr to see if they're at least alt material.

I feel like the newcomer cast's biggest problem is the lack of a heavy weight character, they're already quite under-represented in Brawl imo, so adding all these low to mid-weight characters but no heavy weight is rather dissapointing, especially since there were great choices in Ridley and K. Rool. Heck, if either Ridley or K. Rool were in I'd have felt that the roster would have been much stronger actually, especially if it was the former.

The cuts are also rather unfortunate. I'm like the one guy in the whole universe who loves that ICs are finally gone, and even as a Mother fan I don't care about Lucas being cut either, but I'm very sad about Wolf and Snake not being here, they were great character inclusions that I think were worth including over almost every newcomer that made it onto the roster. Still, I'd rather have those cut than anyone else on the roster.

As I did anticipate the most exciting thing for me on this roster are the veteran changes though. I'm pumped to play as my old mains in hopes that some are buffed (Jigglypuff, Ike, Captain Falcon) and some are nerfed (Meta Knight.) I know these characters will always be the most important ones to me, because there isn't the same possibility to include as big Nintendo characters anymore, I'm glad I realized this before any newcomer announcements or I'd have been very dissapointed with the roster. I'm also a big fan of cutting transformations, Charizard deserves to be on his own, and I never actually played Zelda or ZSS since I prefered their counterparts, so I might actually get to play them now. So yeah, seeing the old faces but updated has by far been the most exciting thing for me with this game.

All in all I guess I can say I'm satisfied, but in the long run I didn't crave very much either, I just wanted my old favorites back and to be fixed up. On the newcomer front I can't really say I'm satisfied though since Ridley isn't there, and he was really the only character I actively advocated for, so that's a shame, but I'm sure I'll have fun with Greninja, Lucina and Bowser Jr regardless. Keep in mind I'm judging this based on the assumption that there are no more characters, I know that Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie and Chorus Kids are still on the table, and if they are in I'll be more than just satisfied.

Last edited:

Neko-Knight

Smash Cadet
The poll could have narrowed it's options to be more precise. A lot of those options could reflect the same opinions, albeit with a different focus. I voted for "I have a few characters I liked" but "I don't like half the characters" is also accurate.
The good:
:4villager::4palutena::4megaman::4robinm:Villager is a fun choice from a popular series that fits well in the series. I haven't played the KI series but Palutena looks like an interesting character to play as, not to mention being aesthetically pleasing and unique. Megaman is another solid choice and does a good job at referencing his series through the various abilities he can collect. Robin is what secured my preorder as I am a big FE fan and am glad to have an actual FE mage represented in smash.

The okay:
:4greninja::4littlemac::4lucina::rosalina:[Shulk] [Bowser Jr.] I knew a new pokemon would be in the game but I couldn't really place my finger on who it should be. Greninja is an okay fit although I would have prefered Meowth. I haven't played the Punch Out series but Little Mac's playstyle looks refreshing so I support his inclusion. Lucina is a nice character but also a clone. I didn't want Rosalina and feel a lot of her popularity was engineered (Baby Rosalina in MK8, just why?) but her unique moveset keeps her from being actively dislikable. Never played Xenoblade so Shulk is in the same boat as Little Mac. I actually had Bowser Jr. high on my wanted list but the clown car stuff is a disappointment.

The bad:
:4mii::4wiifit::4pacman:[Dark Pit], [Duck Hunt Dog], [Dr Mario], These are just cringe inducing. Super Smash Bro's is supposed to be an allstars game representing the best characters Nintendo has to offer. CHARACTERS. Mii's are not characters, WFT is not a character, Dark Pit and Dr Mario are color swap and alternate outfit, respectively. Duck hunt Dog is a dog... who laughs at you. I could almost accept Pacman for his star power but not in a game for NINTENDO all-stars.

What makes me salty about a lot of the character choices is that many other more worthy series have yet to be supported. No Krystal, Isaac, No new Zelda, Donkey Kong or Metroid rep (using current knowledge). Why take out clones and then add in several new ones?

Adding Robin changed my opinion from "Maybe I'll play my friend's copy" to "I'll buy it for my 3DS" because I already own one. As it stands, SM4SH isn't going to be a system seller (WiiU) for me like the previous installments were. It's a shame to see the makings of a good game marred by a lackluster roster. Ridley, Tetra and Krystal would have made me a supremely happy camper.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Alright. Let's do this thing.

:4palutena:

Those of you whom have been following my recent posts will know that I'm an avid fan of Kid Icarus. The newest installment is, in particular, a potent contender for my all-time favourite game. I fell in love with the rich mythos, the vibrant world, the endearing characters and the unapologetic silliness of the game. Since Smash 4's reveal, I maintained that, after Pit, Palutena was my most wanted character. Regardless of her fighting style, irrespective of her appearance, I knew in my heart of hearts that I wanted to play her.

What else can I say? She's everything I could have wanted in a fighter; the cherry on the top of an already exceedingly wonderful cake. Palutena is my (second) favourite Smash fighter of all time and I am truly honoured and blessed to be able to play as the dear ol' Goddess of Light.

:4greninja:

I was not expecting this. At all. I will be frank and say that I'm not a Pokémon player, but my brother is an longtime fan and I do appreciate the mythos and the universe of the series. To that end, I mentioned out of the blue that I'd like to see Greninja in the game, as he's among my favourite new Pokémon and my favourite starter overall.

And then it actually happened.

My reaction was a simple, "Oh, really? That's cool" at first. As time went by, I let it sink in. Then I watched the E3 demo presentations and my love for the slimy shinobi blossomed forth.

I love quick, agile characters in video games - I favour the rogues and the ninja when I'm selecting my characters; I happen to be a fan of frogs and toads; blue has always been my favourite colour; and I'm a sucker for the strange and peculiar fighters in the roster. All in all, there's no reason why I wouldn't love Greninja, and I'm happy to say he's one of my most anticipated newcomers in the roster!

:4lucina:

My initial reaction upon seeing her in the reveal trailer was one of adulation and awe. I wasn't able to articulate these emotions at the time - I just knew that I was impressed and excited. I also knew that she wasn't going to be the final surprise in the trailer. I was just happy to see her there and pleasantly surprised that she has been chosen to carry on the torch - and, of course, the blade - of her old man!

I won't lie: I was a little bit disappointed when I realised that she is just a Marth clone. And then I thought about it and realised that she isn't "just" a Marth clone: she represents Fire Emblem: Awakening, a game that is incredibly near and dear to my heart, and more than just that, she represents a new opportunity. I've always wanted to play Marth, but seeing the extent to which my brother can play him and the amount of skill and effort it takes to "git gud" as him made me decide to hold it off and perhaps play as him in a future iteration of Smash. Sakurai evidently heard the whispered prayers of I and other Fire Emblem fans, because I now not only have that opportunity, but also the chance to play as a more balanced, open-minded version of that same fighting style. It's a small, humble gesture, but I'm extremely grateful to Sakurai for doing it all the same.

And she's a real cutie, to boot~!

:4littlemac:

This is a character I was expecting to appear and am surprised is only showing up now. Mac himself isn't my favourite character, I have to admit, but I'm a longtime fan of Punch-Out!! and I do have a soft spot for the little guy. He's always excelled when he's pitted as the small but determined underdog against the huge and intimidating champions; as such, I'm a little bit uncertain regarding his apparent strength and speed, wondering if it's too much to bear overall. I think that he's going to be a balanced and fun fighter once I actually get to play as him, though, so I'm eager to see what he can do - he definitely brings something new to the game, and it's going to be all kinds of crazy fun to watch the little guy zip around and lay on some serious smackdown!

:4megaman:

As a youngster, I was always a profound fan of this series. I'd be lying if I said that it was for the Blue Bomber himself, though; really it, was for the great music and cool bosses. Hey, any representation is good representation, though, and I'm not going to begrudge him showing up! He definitely deserves to be in the game and he's a truly iconic figure in video game history - if anything, it'd be a crime not to have him appear! His fighting style is quirky and clever, staying true to his roots whilst showing off a whole lot of love for the rich and vibrant history of the series - I love recognising old moves and skills and, with custom moves still to come, I'm excited to see what other classic nods we'll get to this legendary arsenal! He's not a character I intend to play very much, personally, but we'll see how it goes. He may just end up winning me over.

:4mii:

Yes. All my yes.

I've always wanted to see Miis show up in the roster, ever since we knew we were getting a Smash game on the Wii. I envisaged them as being a sort of "random fighter" option or a fighter that would borrow others' moves for themselves. Sakurai's done something essentially similar to that, but infinitely more refined and succinct.

I think people are being much too harsh on them and don't recognise them for what they are. Mii Fighters are not intended to be amazing newcomers or startling smashers: they're a fun and distinct way of letting people play the sort of character that they want to play and allow everybody to have fun. With Mii Fighter, Sakurai is giving fans the chance to play as everybody. Ever wanted to see how yourself fighting your friends and family - for real? How about Iwata battling Reggie, or Sakurai duking it out with Bill Trinen? You can do that with Mii Fighter and so much more: the addition of customisable moves and costumes just give them an infinity of potential fighting styles and outfits to try out, so you can create whomever and whatever you want.

At the end of the day, Mii Fighters are not the highlight of the game, nor are they intended to be. They're Sakurai's way of giving everybody a chance to have fun and do things their own way. They're cute and clever and I have a whole lot of respect for 'em!

:4pacman:

I was sort of expecting this. Sort of. I figured that, if Namco Bandai is co-developing the game, there's going to be some sort of a representation therein. Pac-Man seemed like the most likely candidate, so it wasn't so much a case of "if" as "when".

When it did happen, I was fast asleep in bed. My brother came up to tell me, "Oh, by the way, Pac-Man is in Smash." Half-asleep and still hyped as all hell from the Palutena reveal earlier that day, I just mumbled that that's cool and went back to sleep.

Upon awakening the next morning, I had a vague recollection that it was important to remember Pac-Man and Smash. I checked up on it just to make sure that I wasn't dreaming or confusing myself - and, lo and behold, Pac-Man is in Smash.

And I'm very, very glad to see it.

:4robinm:

I was expected there to be an Awakening rep in the game and was eagerly awaiting the day when it would be revealed. Like most people, I thought it would be Chrom - unlike a lot of people, I was genuinely hyped for my blue-haired huzbando to show up and wow us with his beautiful skills and impeccable body. My brother had suggested that the Avatar would be an interesting and worthy choice instead. I said that I liked the idea, but that it would be tricky to pull off, since Chrom is such a huge character and the Avatar is inherently a vague and abstract persona.

And then we see Lucina fighting...Captain Falcon?! And Chrom is lying, battered and bruised, at her side! What's going on here? Will Lucina even be able to defeat him?

I knew there was going to be a surprise. I was expecting Chrom, at any given moment, to get up and fight at his daughter's side.

And then we see the wind magic strike the battlefield and a mysterious hooded figure descending.

And the hype is born.

I must be honest here: I thought it was possible that we'd see Robin in the game, but certainly not likely, and not known as Robin and with a female alternative, to boot! In hindsight, I probably should have listened to my brother, himself the most intent and beloved Fire Emblem fan I've ever known. Robin is the perfect representation of the Avatar's role in the story and the moves they possess: a cool, tactical fighter that wields both swords and tomes, the errant saviour when things get tough and the scales are due for a tippin'! S/he also represents just what Fire Emblem is capable of and the potent, elaborate mythos of the series. Blue-haired lord with a sword? How about a white-haired mage knight with a fighting style unlike any we've ever seen in Smash before?

Robin is one of my most highly anticipated and pleasantly shocking newcomers. S/he is exactly what I wasn't expecting and the epitome of a character I never knew I wanted. And even Chrom gets a shout-out in his Final Smash! Bravo, Sakurai, bravo.

:rosalina:

Oh, hey, it's Rainbow Road! And...is that Kirby? Wait, why are we in space? Those stars are really pretty...

And speaking of really pretty, look at who it is!

My actual perspective on Rosalina is, in a nutshell, "I'm happy with that." She's a dark horse alright: a character that appeared as a brief mentor and guardian in a few games, then went on to become a recurring ally. Like it or not, Rosalina is here to stay, and I would defy anybody that says she doesn't have a truly unique and wickedly intriguing fighting style. She's going to take a lot of time and effort to get accustomed to, but I can only see that she's going to be someone to watch and have all kinds of fun with!

*Shulk*

The leak more or less confirmed this one for me, but it was a pleasant surprise nonetheless. I've not played Xenoblade, so I'm not really particularly qualified to mention anything at that, but I like how he looks and I'm intrigued to give him a go.

And that accent! SO ADORABLE~

:4villager:

Definitely one of the most beloved newcomers on my part. I'll be honest: I'd be lying if I said I don't think he's the most deserved of all of the newcomers. Animal Crossing is a weird and wonderful series and a perfect representation of what Smash is all about: taking the unusual and the unorthodox and showing us just what they can do! He's got a wonderfully diverse and hilariously cute moveset and I'm all but gagging to play as the little fella~

:4wiifit:

Then - "Huh? Oh. Okay. That's...ah...cool."

Now - "AWWWW YEAH IT'S TIME TO BREATHE DEEP AND SALUTE THE SUN BABY!"

Last edited:

CaptainQuestion

Smash Cadet
I definitely want to have my say about this somewhere, so this is probably a good place. And since a number of people have done so before, I feel like I should do a character breakdown as well. In other words, this is going to be a big post...

First of all, I was pretty satisfied with the roster and how it was shaping up until the leak popped up (and was confirmed just today, which I already started believing/dreading earlier) and showed us some characters I really can't get excited about. Anyway, I'll get to that later.

Revealed veterans: Nothing to note here, most of them expected with a few less obvious ones, but overall the non-revealed ones are more interesting to talk about (see below).

Officially revealed Newcomers:

:4villager:: Before the trailer, I was skeptical about the possibilities of an Animal Crossing representative (and who could it possibly be?), but the way Villager was handled - both his trailer appearance and moveset/playstyle, - had me completely convinced this was going to be a very fun addition. The alternate costumes only add to the awesomeness.

:4megaman:: I've never played much Megaman, but he was vaguely expected even to me. Though most of the nostalgia is lost on me, I can really appreciate the immense care that went into this guy. Everything about him oozes respect for the original material.

:4wiifit:: Like pretty much everyone else, I was pretty much completely blown away by how unlikely miss Fit's reveal was. But that trailer was pure comedy gold. I really like the quirkiness of the trainer's moves, being based on exercises.

:rosalina:: Again, didn't expect this one, even though I should have seen it coming with how often she appears in the spinoffs nowadays. All in all, Rosalina looks interesting, though a bit complex to use efficiently. Likely won't be using her too often, but mostly a welcome addition.

:4littlemac:: Never been too big on Punch-Out!, but Little Mac was suggested by just about everyone since Brawl's release and his appearance as an AT. He looks a little bit boring in how straightforward his attacks are, but I expected worse.

:4greninja:: I don't generally have preferences when it comes to playable Pokémon (there are so many any specific favourites of mine have no chance at all), so Greninja wasn't too exciting for me, depite me picking him as my starter in X. I suppose his underhanded ninja ways might prove interesting, but all in all, the best thing about Greninja to me was that he made certain other Pokémon less likely (such as Zoroark, which I don't see the appeal of when we have Lucario).
[Side note: why are most playable Pokémon humanoid? There are so many interesting bodytypes to pick from - fish, birds, quadrupeds... it bothers me.]

:4mii:: Once again an idea that is done better than I expected. It's a bit of a shame that it looks like quite a bit of time went into these that could have gone to actual Nintendo characters, but this IS a character creator, in a sense. Not too bad all things considered, especially with all the Mii Plaza hats.

:4palutena:: I'm still not convinced Kid Icarus should get so much representation, but I say let Sakurai have this one. After playing Uprising, I could not call Palutena a terrible idea. She has too much personality for that. My problem with her is the moveset, which if not horribly overpowered, seems just too diverse for any single character to have. I mean, yeah... she's a goddess, but...
Plus, her default moves contain a counter, a reflect, and a teleport move. Fitting for a goddess of light, yes, but a little unoriginal. Feels dull.

:4pacman:: I was very much against Pacman, as I could only imagine him to be boring, but he looks all right. A pleasant surprise. I like the Namco shoutouts, and his retro design is much more pleasing to the eye than Ghostly Adventures Pacman, because that one is the stuff of nightmares.

:4robinm:: This character right here is exactly what Fire Emblem needed - a mage. I didn't think Robin would be that mage, however, but with the way he plays, he/she is literally an embodiment of the series and its mechanics. Excellent execution, and several times better than Chrom could ever have been.

:4lucina:: This character is what Fire Emblem didn't need. Or deserve. Lucina should have stayed an alt in my opinion. The Fire Emblem series really shouldn't be getting 4 characters, clone or not, simply because the most recent title was more popular. I like the character, but the gameplay differences are too small to make me like this clone (I was never fond of Roy, but he'd be a better fit for this if they really must have a Marth clone).

Shulk: Aha, Shulk. I was opposed to this character for a long time - he looked like another anime-ish swordfighter, as if he would be a surrogate for having a Square Enix character. I mean, look at his overly complicated design. Then the leak happened, and I found Shulk, to me, was one of the least objectionable characters involved. Today's reveal cemented the leak as being real, but I was already convinced of its legitimacy, so if anything, Shulk looks a lot better to me now.
Especially when compared to the next few (unrevealed) characters.

UNREVEALED Newcomers

Dark Pit: While I could say because of Uprising that Palutena was not a bad idea, I can't say the same for this guy. Whether he's actually a clone of Pit or has an original moveset, Dark Pit should really not have been more than an alt (maybe with new voice clips). He makes Lucina seem like Robin in terms of originality, AND gives Kid Icarus an ill-deserved third character.

Dr. Mario: Of all the characters they could have resurrected from Melee... Well, ok, Young Link and Pichu would be worse. Still, why bring back Dr. Mario and not a more original clone if you really must put in another clone? Wolf and Lucas come to mind, and both are from series that are now pretty low on reps if they aren't in. Certainly not from the Mario series, which now has a whopping 7 characters with the inclusion of...

Bowser Jr.: Never been a big fan of him or the Koopalings. He feels a little too similar to Bowser himself, like a Diet Bowser... but then I saw how he's apparently going to fight.
This is much worse than being a clone of Bowser. It looks bizarre and makes zero sense, considering the Clown Car can fly. Why doesn't he fly permanently in battle? Why does he even need to recover, or double jump?

Duck Hunt Dog: I can not picture Duck Hunt Dog being interesting, whatever they do with him. He barely has personality and I have great difficulty picturing his moveset. This is, for all intents and purposes, a joke character of the purest kind. You might say he's certainly more iconic than the likes of Takamaru, Sable or Mike Jones when it comes to retro characters, but Duck Hunt Dog really isn't that iconic either, he seems more like a sort of meme that stuck with people. I remain fiercely opposed to the idea, but now it seems I'll have to deal with it.

Unrevealed Veterans not pictured in the leak

Ice Climbers: I don't feel strongly about them, but they've become a sort of staple of Smash Bros. It would be a shame to see them get cut.
Wolf: I don't really like Starfox, and I like Falco better as a character, but there's no denying Wolf is less of a clone than he is. I also don't hate Starfox enough to want them to lose a character, and Krystal ( a popular fan choice) seems to not be an option judging by the leaked pictures.
Lucas: If my avatar didn't tip you off, I'll just tell you outright: I'm going to really miss Lucas. Yes, he was sort of a (semi)clone, but I've always liked him, and after having played Mother 3, I really liked him and his series. Which is why it would be terrible to have the Mother series at 1 character, especially considering Kid Icarus' 3. Replacing Lucas with Jeff (another popular suggestion) would also be a problem, as it would focus representation entirely on EarthBound.
Mewtwo: I have never understood the fuss about Mewtwo. Yeah, he's cool I suppose, but his role is filled by Lucario (no, I know he's not a clone), and specifically Gen. 1 already has (had) quite a few playable 'mons. Him being villainous (or is he misunderstood?) isn't enough for me to think otherwise.
And his fanbase is more than a little annoying.
Roy: We have Lucina now, and there are 4 Fire Emblem characters. Roy should stay well away at this point.

Phew, glad I could sort of vent all of that somewhere. I'm not expecting anyone to really read all of this, but at least now I had a chance to look back on the roster (it's sort of therapeutic, in a sense) and see the positives outweigh the negatives overall... as long as those supposed additional characters not shown in the leak aren't godawful, that is. I have faith in Sakurai to turn it around again, even if I have to give up on some of my favourite picks.
(maybe next time, Professor Layton)
(though probably not since your series is basically done now)
(maybe in SSB10 you'll be an unexpected retro character)

Daniee

Smash Cadet
These were my most wanted newcomers from when the games were first revealed:

Little Mac
Dixie Kong
New Pokémon from Gen V or VI (I like too many of them to have had any strong requests though I was leaning towards Victini)
Robin
Knuckles
Shulk
Bowser Jr.
Dark Samus

So yeah, I would say I did pretty well. I think all of the newcomers are good choices (there's a few I personally don't care much for but I get why they're here). I'm looking forward to playing the ones in the above list plus Lucina, the Mii Brawler, and Greninja.

I'm really going to miss Wolf and Ice Climbers, though. :(
If they could be added through DLC then the roster would be pretty much perfect for me.

CaptainQuestion

Smash Cadet
These were my most wanted newcomers from when the games were first revealed:

Little Mac
Dixie Kong
New Pokémon from Gen V or VI (I like too many of them to have had any strong requests though I was leaning towards Victini)
Robin
Knuckles
Shulk
Bowser Jr.
Dark Samus

So yeah, I would say I did pretty well. I think all of the newcomers are good choices (there's a few I personally don't care much for but I get why they're here). I'm looking forward to playing the ones in the above list plus Lucina, the Mii Brawler, and Greninja.

I'm really going to miss Wolf and Ice Climbers, though. :(
If they could be added through DLC then the roster would be pretty much perfect for me.
Even now that this leak is true, Wolf and Ice Climbers could still be in you know. There are apparently about five more characters that weren't shown in the leaked roster, those could include Wolf, Ice Climbers, Dixie Kong...
I myself am still hoping for Lucas, obviously.
...I wouldn't keep hoping for Knuckles though, if I were you. I don't see any more Sonic characters happening (and besides, Tails would probably be a more likely second character).

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider
After stewing for awhile, I've decided that the roster isn't too bad. The only leaked newcomers I hate are Duck Hunt Dog and Dr Mario. I seem to be the only one not to hate Dark Pit and don't mind him, completely neutral to Bowser Jr, and actually wanted Shulk in. I'm still not completely happy with the roster, but the newcomers I do like make up for that. Not to mention all the characters I mained previously are still around.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
If the leaked roster is the final one: Six out of ten.
If the 4/5 rumoured characters also get in: Nine out of ten.
If Isaac gets in: tenouddaten :-P

Cpt.

Smash Lord

What you see above is the roster for Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 3DS (but there could always be more).

This is a thread to post your thoughts on the newcomers, the cut characters from Super Smash Bros., and any returning veterans that surprised you. Keep in mind, this is NOT a thread to complain about the roster. Just simply post your thoughts.​
Robin surprised me. It was a pleasant surprise though since ze looks very unique. Lucina surprised the hell out of me since I was sure she'd just be a costume.

I was hoping that junior was going to be put in since we didn't get any new Mario reps last game. Plus he deserves a spot more than Rosalina, so I was not surprised to see him get in.

Little Mac and Greninja shocked me, nuff said. So so happy when I saw them (of course I was hoping for Mewtwo in that trailer).

If that is the complete roster I'd give it a 6.5/10

Good inclusions:​

Jr. : He has been in soooo many Mario games by now and was an amazing character in Sunshine. Easily can be called a nintendo All-Star and very worthy of a spot in smash. I'm not crazy about the clown car, but hey Jr is in and that is all that matters. 10/10

Palutena: Smash needs more girl character, but that is not the reason Palutena deserves to be in. I haven't played KI, but I know that she is the main protagonist in Kid Ikarus (even though Pit really is). She is the goddess. Pit is just an underling. Nuff said. 10/10

Robin: I haven't played much of any FE game, but Robin is very unqiue looking and when it comes to FE reps, that is super important. After I saw the trailer I knew Sakurai had made the right choice here. 9/10

Little Mac: I know that everyone wanted to see this guy so I am very glad Sakurai looked to the people when choosing new smash characters (gives me hope for Mewtwo and Ridley) :) He should have been in Smash 64 if you ask me. 10/10

Greninja: As I have said before Greninja is the only good choice from gen 6 (excluding Megas). If we could represent the series well and we needed to chose a poke from each gen, then Sakurai made the right choice, but then again where are gens 2,3,5? We should have gotten Mewtwo, but I am confident that we still will. 8/10

Shulk: Awesome pick. He definitely deserved a spot based on the way his game was received. But I don't know much about him so 8/10

Pac-Man: One of the most famous video game characters ever. Maybe the most if we take away Mario. If there is 3rd party in Smash, then Pac-Man must be a character. 10/10

Mega Man: Although 3rd party Mega Man contributed so much to nintendo and for that he is a nintendo All-Star. 10/10

Meh inclusions:​

Rosalina: She is a good choice. Will definitely be unique and fun to use, but there are better Mario reps to put in before her. 7/10

Duck Hunt: Yeah, idk. I ould have liked Takamaru since he was in that Wii U game, but hey I don't think there is an unoriginal retro yet so he'll be good I'm sure. 7/10

Villager: I don't really care. He will be unique at least. 6/10

Mii: Only because Reggie 5-10/10

Bad inclusions:​

Lucina: She is Marth. She has his moves. She looks like him. She has his clothes. Literally HIS CLOTHES. SHE IS MARTH!!!! Gee how come they didn't make Female and Male Wii Fit different characters???? Oh I don't know maybe because that is pointless and a waste of a slot!!! I mean we have alternate costumes for crying out loud!!! Sometimes Sakurai....sometimes..... 1/10

Dark Pit???: May end up being a cool character, but will likely be a clone in which case look at Lucina. Hopefully Dit won't be a clone, in which case, I'd rate higher, but 1-6/10

Bad Cuts:

Wolf: He is not a clone. He is not a semi-clone. I don't know why they would cut him, especially since they lack villains. It makes no sense. 0/10

Snake: Yeah I mean 3rd party rights so 4/10

Meh Cuts:

Squirtle: I like squirtle, but waaaay too many gen 1 pokes. 6/10

Ivysaur ^^^^ 6/10

Bad ignores:

Dark Samus: Oh hey gouiz Ridleh is 2 big hehe! OK, OK. EVEN. EVEN if that was the case (which it is not!) Dark Samus would be the perfect choice for a rep. A non-clone super evil bad guy that is the perfect size for Smash. Metroid has no good reps? WHAT!? WHAT!? What is this AT BS that Damus gets after Mother Brain and Metroid are ATs. No kidding Metroid has no good reps if you are going to ignore all of them -_- DARK SAMUS!!!!! 0/10

Ridley: The main Metroid villain. That is all. -infinite/10

Mewtwo: Should have never been cut. The only reason is that Charizard is our gen 1 rep. 2/10

K. Rool: DK deserves more reps. He is really the next most logical rep. 0/10

King Boo: Come on guys Luigi needs a villain too! 3/10

Krystal: New Star Fox game. Promotionals? 5/10

Impa: Link, Ganondorf, Zelda, then who else could we put in? I know! Link and Zelda again! Yay! NO! F*CKIN NO!!! PUT IN OTHER ZELDA CHARACTERS!!! THERE ARE WAAAAAY TOO MANY GOOD ONES. 0/10

Pokey Minch: For another Mother rep + was in more than one mother game -_- only 2 characters were in multiple Mother games!!!! 0/10

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Confirmed Newcomers
:4villager:: I've only ever played one Animal Crossing game, the one for Wii, so when I saw Villager revealed I wasn't sure what to think. As time went on, he started to grow on me. After I used Villager during Smash Fest @ Best Buy, I loved his character. His unique playstyle is really to my liking. So I really like Villager and I'm gonna pick up a copy of New Leaf eventually. 8/10
:4megaman:
: This one was my favorite of E3 2013. I love Mega Man, and his moveset is really different and cool looking. Also that final smash during the Invitational was so hype. 9/10
: I, along with everyone else, didn't see this one coming. I originally thought this was the dumbest idea for a character ever. But after seeing gameplay, the Trainer became tolerable. 4/10
:rosalina:
: I wasn't expecting her as the new Mario rep. She looks pretty cool, but with a learning curve that is going to take a lot of getting used to. 6/10
: This was a fairly obvious newcomer choice. And after playing as him I have to say, he is really good. His ground game is great, but his air game really is bad. Giga Mac is boss, too. 8/10
: Greninja is easiky my favorite newcomer. Pokémon X was my first Pokémon game, and Froakie was my starter. To see, my first Pokémon playable gave me so much joy. He is also an amazing character to play as. Move over Mewtwo, you just got :4greninja:'d. Best. Newcomer. 10/10
: I just want to know, why all the hate? The Miis look really cool and they are so customizable. It's amazing and I'm glad that they're in. 9/10
: Everyone saw this coming. It was just that obvious. But seeing her didn't hype me up all that much. Also, for some reason, I always forget she's playable. Also the fact that she has 12 different specials while others have variations is not to my liking. Great trailer, though. 6/10
: My favorite of E3 2014. I don't even know what to say. Pac-Man is just so super special awesome. Thank you Namco for working on this game. Move over Lloyd. You just got :4pacman:'d. 9.5/10
: Easily the WORST newcomer of this game. The fact that she got in over Roy or Chrom is horrible. If there's gonna be a Marth clone, it should have been Roy. I would be fine if she was a costume, but a full on character. No, just no. I never liked her that muchin Awakening, and I don't like her in Smash. 0/10
:4robinm::4robinf:
: Robin was an unexpected newcomer, and an great one. I like the way he fights, and his Final Smash has Chrom. Yay. Definitely a lot better than Clonecina. 9/10
:substitute:
(Shulk): I have mixed feelings about him. On one hand, he's cool and looks like an interesting newcomer. On the other hand, it all but confirmed the leak, which seriously makes me worry about Lucas's chances. 7/10

Leak Newcomers
Bowser Jr./Koopalings: Bowser Jr is one of my favorite Mario characters. And playing as Lemmy, Larry, Iggy, or Roy sounds pretty cool. But I don't want 6 Mario reps. And having him instead of Lucas or Wolf makes me hate the idea of them playable.
Duck Hunt Dog: I would freaking hate the stupid Duck Hunt Dog in Smash. He's a dog who just laughs at you. Oh yeah, he definitely deserves a spot over Lucas, or Wolf, or any good newcomer (sarcasm). If the leak is true, than this stupid weiner dog will be the Taro Yamada of Smash 4.
Dark Pit: He is the only one that I like in the leak. I'll be happy if he gets in. But I'll take all of that back if he ends up being a complete clone like Clonecina.
Dr. Mario: Mewtwo, Roy, Young Link, Pichu are all better choices than Dr. Mario. Basically everything I said about Lucina applies here too. Plus, I don't want 7 Mario reps over more deserving characters like Lucas, Wolf, and the Ice Climbers

Possibly Cut Veteran
:snake:: I saw this coming ever since Mega Man was announced. Meh, I never like Snake that much, and I won't miss him.
:popo:: Them being possibly cut sucks, because I was literalky just starting to like the Ice Climbers.
:wolf:: Duck Hunt Dog, get out of Wolf's spot. The fact that Wolf could be cut and the **** Hunt Dog is in instead of him is just horrible.
:lucas:: If Lucas, is cut, I am going to blame Shulk. Why Shulk? Because Shulk could have been the confirmation that the leak which said he's cut is real. Lucas was one of my mains in Brawl, and I PK Love using him. If he is cut, I will be like tnis::confused::confused::c:c:c:urg::urg::(:(:(:sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
(that's how sad I will be)
:squirtle::pt::ivysaur:: I don't care how popular Charizard is. He was the worst of the 3 in Brawl. Squirtle and Ivysaur were great, and seeing them cut will be sad.

Overall the roster is pretty good. There are a lot of great newcomers, but others are just bad (Clonecina, **** Hunt Dog)

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I remember people used to say that this was considered realistic because:

- no cuts
- bring back Mewtwo and Roy
- Ridley and King K. Rool were the only villains worth adding
- Takamaru was the only retro character worth adding
- Palutena was the only female character worth adding
- Punch-Out!! and Xenoblade Chronicles were the only franchises deserving of playable characters
- no more Mario characters
- only 8 newcomers
- no surprises

Instead, the actual realistic roster:

- cuts Ice Climbers, Wolf, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucas, and Snake
- adds Greninja instead of Mewtwo
- adds Robin and Lucina instead of Roy
- adds two more Mario characters, Rosalina and Bowser Jr.
- adds seven female characters, including Villagers, Wii Fit Trainers, Mii Fighters, and Robins
- adds two Kid Icarus characters Palutena and Dark Pit
- brings back Dr. Mario instead of Mewtwo and Roy
- adds Duck Hunt Dog instead of Takamaru
- Animal Crossing, Wii Fit, Punch-Out!!, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Duck Hunt get playable characters
- 15 newcomers
- lots of surprises

The only newcomers they have in common are Little Mac, Palutena, Shulk, Mega Man, and Pac-Man.

I'm very happy with the final roster. It's got a mix of popular characters and unexpected characters. It's exciting. It's not boring like that roster up there.

Cpt.

Smash Lord

I remember people used to say that this was considered realistic because:

- no cuts
- bring back Mewtwo and Roy
- Ridley and King K. Rool were the only villains worth adding
- Takamaru was the only retro character worth adding
- Palutena was the only female character worth adding
- Punch-Out!! and Xenoblade Chronicles were the only franchises deserving of playable characters
- no more Mario characters
- only 8 newcomers
- no surprises

Instead, the actual realistic roster:

- cuts Ice Climbers, Wolf, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucas, and Snake
- adds Greninja instead of Mewtwo
- adds Robin and Lucina instead of Roy
- adds two more Mario characters, Rosalina and Bowser Jr.
- adds seven female characters, including Villagers, Wii Fit Trainers, Mii Fighters, and Robins
- adds two Kid Icarus characters Palutena and Dark Pit
- brings back Dr. Mario instead of Mewtwo and Roy
- adds Duck Hunt Dog instead of Takamaru
- Animal Crossing, Wii Fit, Punch-Out!!, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Duck Hunt get playable characters
- 15 newcomers
- lots of surprises

The only newcomers they have in common are Little Mac, Palutena, Shulk, Mega Man, and Pac-Man.

I'm very happy with the final roster. It's got a mix of popular characters and unexpected characters. It's exciting. It's not boring like that roster up there.
That top roster isn't boring. Unrealisitc because no new Mario/Zelda/Pokemon characters, but not boring.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That top roster isn't boring. Unrealisitc because no new Mario/Zelda/Pokemon characters, but not boring.
It's absolutely nothing but popular characters. As if popularity was the only thing that matters. Sakurai himself said that he finds a roster with nothing but popular characters are not exciting or interesting. If popularity (and visible fighting abilities) was the only thing that mattered, we wouldn't have gotten nearly half of the characters in Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, and SSB4. We wouldn't have gotten Captain Falcon, Ness, Jigglypuff, or even the Ice Climbers in the first place.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Newcomers:
:4villager::I really like this character from an aesthetic standpoint and a gameplay standpoint. His appearance and overall flavor to his moves is perfect and represents Animal Crossing perfecting. Animal Crossing may seem cute and innocent on the outside, but it gets really creepy and scary if you look under the surface. Just like the villager.
:4megaman:: It's MEGAMAN! What I find exceptionally hilarious is that his moveset shares a heavy amount of similarities to his appearance in Super Smash Flash 2. His crash bomb, bird-robot thing, and his Knuckle move behave exactly the same in both games. Onto the character himself, I'm very happy he is in. He fits perfectly into Smash bros, I'm just worried that he might be good. However I'm sure there is going to be one guy who just destroys everyone as Mega Man in a tournament.
: Initially, I was a bit upset that they added such a silly character. However she grew on me, and she fits (huehue) perfectly in Smash Bros. She seems to have a unique gameplay style of being heavily combo oriented, while having decent projectiles. I can easily see her as one of the most played characters in comeptitive.
: Little Mac is awesome. He is a perfect candidate for Smash and deserves to be in the game. He is pretty unique that his aerials are horrible, but his ground game is so good. Depending on the Meta, he can be the weakest character or the strongest character. Also for those who don't know, his K.O. punch isn't actually a 1 Hit K.O. The enemy needs to be around 50% to actually die I believe from it.
: Greninja is a pretty cool addition. He (She? It?) is probably the most "Ninja" character in the game, even beating out Sheik. He has Ninja Stars and substitutions! You better believe it! Anyway, I'm happy with his inclusion as well.
: I like the Mii Fighters, they have customization and seem like they have a lot of unique stuff with them. Specifically Gunner. I hope that them, and customizations are legal in tournaments, because that would be such a missed opportunity.
: I played Kid Icarus: Uprising and I thought she was a fun character. Her playstyle seems to be so wild with the customization options. I believe that customization is going to be the thing that sets SSB4 apart from Melee or Brawl, and turn it into something new. So I hope the community embraces it.
: A really awesome inclusion. Mega-Man, Sonic, Mario, and Pac-Man in the same game? If you told me this back in 2004 I would never believe you, and smack you for being dumb. But oh boy this is awesome. Pac-Man himself seems to be a quirky character, with abnormal special moves and attacks. Seems like a really cool character to play as.
: Easily my least favorite inclusion. She is just Marth, but for babies. She will see little to no competitive play because of this. Why would you want to play a weaker version of Marth with a lower skill ceiling? Hopefully Dark Pit doesn't fall into this trap and will actually be unique.
:4robinm::4robinf:
: My favorite inclusion to balance out my least favorite. Robin is my 2nd most wanted character in the game only under Bandana Dee, and it is honestly pretty close. I'm going to for sure main Robin. I don't find Palutena or Zelda very mage-y. However Robin is the definition of Mage, and I can't wait to play them. I hope they have appearance customization so I can play as my Robin.

:substitute:(Shulk): I have never played Xenoblade, and I know nothing of Shulk. He seems like a cool and unique character, but I'm probably not maining him anytime soon.
Veteran Cuts:
:wolf:
:I'm sad that he is probably getting cut, because he is Luigi levels of Clone. Which is not even clone at all. However I did not main him, along with the other cut characters. So I guess I'm not completely sad.
:popo:: I'm honestly pretty mad because they were such a unique character and it sucks they got cut. Good night sweet Prince.
:pt::ivysaur::squirtle:
: Everyone seems to forget about you guys...you guys were cool and unique, but you will always be with us in Project: M. Well, except for the Trainer I guess.
:lucas:
: Lucas was cool, he had unique neutrals. It's pretty sad he is going.
:snake:
: Good bye Snake, you are awesome and will be missed. You were such a cool character, the one that nobody ever expected. I will miss you.

Last edited:

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Roster sucks. That I have to admit. But I AM excited for Bowser. He's the only one though. :/

Cpt.

Smash Lord
It's absolutely nothing but popular characters. As if popularity was the only thing that matters. Sakurai himself said that he finds a roster with nothing but popular characters are not exciting or interesting. If popularity (and visible fighting abilities) was the only thing that mattered, we wouldn't have gotten nearly half of the characters in Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, and SSB4. We wouldn't have gotten Captain Falcon, Ness, Jigglypuff, or even the Ice Climbers in the first place.
You do realize that is just an opinion right? Even though they are popular characters, I don't find them boring.

Popularity matters a lot more than you know, especially in a game made up of Nintendo All-Stars. Jigglypuff shouldn't be in Smash IMO because she isn't important enough to pokemon or nintendo. Cpt. Falcon was very popular in the days of 64 and Ness was fairly popular in Japan which is why they were added.

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
Nick's SSB4 Roster 8.0 V.4.png
, the actual realistic roster cuts Squirtle,:squirtle: Ivysaur,:ivysaur: Lucas,:lucas: and Snake :snake:, bring back Mewtwo.:mewtwopm: adds two more Mario characters, Rosalina:rosalina: and Bowser Jr adds two Kid Icarus characters Palutena:4palutena: and Dark Pit:evil::4pit: Animal Crossing, Wii Fit, Punch-Out!!, And Xenoblade Chronicles get playable characters

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
The ONLY characters who really deserved to be playable besides the 3rd Parties so far are the Villager and Little Mac. Every other character is Fanservice.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
Aside from Dark Pit, Doctor Mario's return, and the lackthereof Lip, I'm overall pretty content with the roster.
A lot of characters that really look fun to play is in there, I know I'll be playing a lot of Villager, myself.
I also like the inclusion of the Duck Hunt Dog, though I have always been a fan of the obscure characters.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
The only one that bothers me is Dr. Mario. I love using Dr. Mario in Melee, I don't think he should have returned, but as for now, it looks to be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom