• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Do you have any idea how little American television culture will affect the roster?

Again, people know a character =/= people want a character.

The demographic that grew up with DHD is quickly leaving the gaming scene. If Sakurai really wanted to hit a chord with those who grew up with him, he'd be included by now. He definitely would've been included over Ice Climbers and Pit. He's more iconic than either of them.

lol
I never said it would affect the roster, I said having the character would generate hype. I would say Duck Hunt Dog is very unlikely and Takamaru has a better chance. However, between the two, more people would be excited by and recognize Duck Hunt Dog.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Again, DHD would be recognized immediately, yes, but would people be excited to play as him? I think not.

Especially see as he is the most ANNOYING video game character ever.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Naturally, people would throw up in disgust case Takamaru got in over Duck Hunt Dog.

I mean, who gives a **** about a badass samurai with tons of potential? A silly laughing dog is much more interesting to play as!

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Again, DHD would be recognized immediately, yes, but would people be excited to play as him? I think not.

Especially see as he is the most ANNOYING video game character ever.
And the fact that he's a dog that everyone wants to kill.....

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I never said it would affect the roster, I said having the character would generate hype. I would say Duck Hunt Dog is very unlikely and Takamaru has a better chance. However, between the two, more people would be excited by and recognize Duck Hunt Dog.
I'd agree that more people would recognize DHD, but that doesn't mean more people would be be excited by him.

Just because a character is more well known doesn't mean they are more popular or would generate more hype. That's like the fourth time I've said that today. For example, during the Brawl trailer, who do you think more people knew, Pit or Wario? Wario. Yet when polled, more people were hyped by Pit and wanted to play as him.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well that's a good attribute for him, he is able to hitstun people with many of his attacks, he's weak, but he can literally pummel an opponent to death if not dealt with. That totally would define him very well.
*facepalm*
People want to KILL HIM, not KILLED BY HIM. :laugh:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Samurai's already done in Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, etc.

Smash is notorious for giving you characters like ROB, Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, etc. Crazy characters that are not necessarily the idle vision of a hero or a warrior.

DHD fits more the crazy Smash personality then a serious Samurai character no one has heard of before. I mean we can probably go find a FE character to fit that role.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Smash is notorious for giving you characters like ROB, Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, etc. Crazy characters that are not necessarily the idle vision of a hero or a warrior.

DHD fits more the crazy Smash personality then a serious Samurai character no one has heard of before. I mean we can probably go find a FE character to fit that role.
Fine, remove the Zelda, Fire Emblem, Metroid, and Solid Snake characters then. :troll:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

I mean we can probably go find a FE character to fit that role.
Have you played any of those games?

I don't remember seeing samurais on Street Fighter nor Fire Emblem... Mortal Kombat has ninja-like characters, but ninja =/= samurai.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If we don't need a samurai because other game series already have one then we definitely don't need a dog considering we already have three canines.

...:facepalm:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
More importantly, Brawl went the extra mile and tried to make characters like Mario and Bowser look serious and less cartoony.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace

The fact that you think fire emblem has samurais... It's freaking fantasy medieval style characters man, even the nomads can't really be classified as samurais. No the closest we have to samurais is sword masters who aren't that close.

More importantly, Brawl went the extra mile and tried to make characters like Mario and Bowser look serious and less cartoony.
And yet they broke the serious atmosphere by adding this thing
image.jpg

Actually I take that back, that thing is frightening as balls

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
There really should just be a Duck Hunt stage. Ducks flying around everywhere that the player can hit before a targeting reticle shoots them. Every time the players kill-steals the duck and the reticle misses, the dog pops up and laughs. While the dog's up, he's in the way of the action until he goes away or until players knock him off the stage. That way, everyone gets to beat the crap outta the dog, everyone wins.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
For people who try to use the "no one has ever heard of *insert character here" argument. Need i remind you of Ice Climbers, Ness (Smash 64), Lucas, Pit (before Uprising), and Marth. (Melee days)

volbound1700

Smash Master
For people who try to use the "no one has ever heard of *insert character here" argument. Need i remind you of Ice Climbers, Ness (Smash 64), Lucas, Pit (before Uprising), and Marth. (Melee days)
Earthbound was a popular game on SNES, sorry Ness was known. Agree on the rest although I had heard of Ice Climbers before Smash but wasn't too familiar with their game.

Samurai is basically the Japanese version of a Knight. Sure they had different armor, equipment, etc. but they are similar. Marth and Roy have Samurai characteristics to them as do many other FE characters (Lyn ring a bell?). Although not claded in Samurai armor.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Samurai is basically the Japanese version of a Knight. Sure they had different armor, equipment, etc. but they are similar. Marth and Roy have Samurai characteristics to them as do many other FE characters (Lyn ring a bell?). Although not claded in Samurai armor.
The only similarity Marth/Roy share with Takamaru is that they all happen to wield swords. As has been pointed out many times before, not all sword users(or even swords) function exactly the same.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Marth and Roy have Samurai characteristics to them.
I cringed when I read that. Do your research. Fire Emblem is based on medieval EUROPE. There is absolutely NOTHING japanese in those games, (except the language. :troll:)

D

Deleted member

The thing is, Sakurai is going to include a retro character. He already said as much. That designates at least one spot on the roster for a new retro character. Out of the remaining retro characters, Sakurai also said this character would be capable of having a series revival, like Kid Icarus. Most retro characters, like Bubbles, Excitebiker, Urban Champion, even Balloon Fighter are much more arcade-styled games than plot-based or adventure-ish games, and give very little to work with, expansion-wise. Really the only two notable series left that could theoretically fleshed out are Nazo no Murasamejo and Mach Rider (and StarTropics, but that isn't going to happen, so I don't count it). Those series also have two characters among the few retro characters left not rejected by Sakurai at one point, which does give them an edge over other retros.

Now, from those two, Takamaru has a noticeable amount of popularity (for a retro) - which apparently was a factor in Pit's inclusion, and has made several reappearances as of late, including a major one with Nintendo Land, as his series was put on par with series such as Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. Sure, it might not be that significant for another series to have this distinction, most times cameos or minor appearances (like Takamaru's other recent appearances) don't really amount to much, but as retros have very little to go on anyway, things like this are a big deal for them.

Also, it's not just that Takamaru has positive factors for his inclusion, it's also that his retro competition really doesn't have that much. Mach Rider's series could be expanded upon, but he really doesn't have too much popularity, and hasn't received too much attention from Nintendo lately. However, he is probably the second most likely retro character, but really the chances of him making it in over Takamaru are fairly slim. Balloon Fighter is the other retro who gets brought up occasionally, and his games have been highlighted recently by Nintendo, but his series is fairly static and not open to too much expansion, and he was previously turned down by Sakurai. Ofc Sakurai could change his opinion, it's been over a decade, but as there is no evidence of such, BF still caries that negative stigma.

Considering Sakurai also said Takamaru could very well show up in Smash in the future, a statement more positive than most retros get, it stands to reason that due to a mix of positive factors in Takamaru's favour, and really nothing that benefits his competition to any great extent, he's the obvious most likely retro choice. Is he the only choice? No, there is a chance another character could get in over him, but considering who's in the running, and considering Sakurai, I wouldn't say it's too likely.
I doubt that popularity is going to be a factor for inclusion for retros this time around. Sure Takamaru might be the most demands for a retro, but considering that he's still relatively uncommonly requested by people in general, that doesn't say much (this goes for Japan as well in where they're even less requested). Not that this hurts Takamaru, but it isn't a factor against other retros as well.

I'm not sure why we can't have two retro characters this time around. We've gotten two retros back in Melee and Brawl and it can easily happen again (and not because of a "pattern"). Sure Mach Rider is less likely than Takamaru, but he does have the advantage of Sakurai's bias. I also think that Mach Rider is going to be the series that Sakurai is looking at reviving considering that Takamaru's series will most likely receive a revival with Platinum Games (who has expressed interest in making a new game). Unlike Takamaru, Mach Rider as a character has also not been revived, so he's even more of a clean slate than Takamaru. I'd say that Takamaru is extremely likely to get in and Mach Rider has a good shot as well.
N3ON said:
People in your generation haven't been the main demographic in a long time. Secondly, and again, just because people KNOW a character doesn't mean people WANT a character. It's Pac-Man all over again, except some people actually want Pac-Man. If all DHD has going for him is nostalgia, that's not a positive. If people really wanted DHD, no matter how old they are, he would have a noticeable amount of requests. He has very few, including people from your generation.

How well known he is yet how little he is requested should be a testament to how many people actually want him.
While Duck Hunt Dog doesn't have a shot in hell, it won't be due to a lack of requests. Same argument could apply to R.O.B as well as he was barely requested, yet got in.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Volbound, you do not know what you are talking about.

Quit while your ahead.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Little delayed there ol' chap.
Details aren't important. :troll:

Anyways, what do you think will be our WTF character? Chrono asked the question earlier but it was late at night so no one responded. I'm asking again for him. :p

D

Deleted member

Details aren't important. :troll:

Anyways, what do you think will be our WTF character? Chrono asked the question earlier but it was late at night so no one responded. I'm asking again for him. :p
While most of us sees Takamaru as obvious, I do think Sakurai will consider him a surprise addition. I also see Mach Rider as another potential surprise addition and if we get a surprise third-party, it'll be either Layton or in the very off-chance Geno.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Doesn't Roy draw his sword in reverse grip, then flips it to standard? Or am I wrong? I'm no expert in this kind of thing, but there must be a term for this? I'm not sure if Medieval Europe was big on reverse techniques and whatnot, but when I hear reverse draws and such, it's usually with Japanese sword arts. For example, would a draw like this (0:15-0:21) be comparable to Roy's draw? I'm really sure when it comes to these things lol.

Anyway, I do have a couple WTF characters in mind, but really, I hope we'll get a character that no one expected (or at least a character that had little awareness. Always a fun surprise).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom