• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Nothing crazy. Just talking about sword wielding characters in general. Some think that what we had in Brawl was too much. But I disagree, most seem to share this sentiment as well. What do you think? Too many sword guys in Brawl?
I agree on Xenoblaze's stance on weapon users, it's more on how the character influences the weapon than the other way around.

As for another sword wielding character, I wouldn't mind another sword user, so long as they have an interesting and unique playstyle or moveset, at least one of those two if not both.

EDIT: Had to edit this post for a stupid mistake. Maybe I should get some sleep soon....

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Lol not her actual size, she can project an image of herself ya know.

No one is too big or too small for smash bros. ITS A NON-CANON GAME, almost everything is re-scaled. (trolling or not i just had to answer...)
Trolling? it was a joke :awesome:

" ITS A NON-CANON GAME, almost everything is re-scaled." being more accurate, only pokemon is, and it sucks.

Morbi

Scavenger
You're completley disregarding my point. If Toad was deconfirmed officially it does in fact increase other character's chances
I was eagerly awaiting your response. However, I don't have time for that. So I assume you would continue to say that you were alluding to the priority list the entire time and I just didn't read this quote properly or that it was overt and implied.

I was just going to respond with...

Toad doesn't relate to the priority list, neither do any de-confirmed characters as they are not on the list. So naturally de-confirming a character that was never on the priority list doesn't make a character more likely as their placement doesn't change. I lack the patience necessary for such menial discussions.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
if you said this at serbii you'd be dead XD anyway yeah semi-trolling.... bye.
Nope, my comment was too obvious to be taken as an attempt to troll, you should better relax a bit.
Trolling will be say "k rool have the same priority as bandana dee and toad", which is true, but no body listen... :awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
whelp back from unpacking more things, what I miss in the couple of hours I was absent mates?

then good , you live . . . . . . . for another day . . . . .

Edit: times attempted to post this: 5

Were you here for the swordsman talk? We had swordsman talk. It wasn't overly interesting, but far from the worst topic this thread had.

Not sure what should be the next topic at the moment myself. Perhaps moveset changes to veteran characters. That's actually an interesting thing to go over if you ask me.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Were you hear for the swordsman talk? We had swordsman talk. It wasn't overly interesting, but far from the worst topic this thread had.

Not sure what should be the next topic at the moment myself. Perhaps moveset changes to veteran characters. That's actually an interesting thing to go over if you ask me.
nah I wasn't, but I did look back a couple of pages to see it,
as for new topic . . . . . . . . ummmmm . . . . . . I don't know wario? if not then lets discuss moveset changes

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I have no comment on the previous page, besides that there is no reason to assume we're getting cuts, and even then, if we ARE getting cuts, they will be minimal (and it won't be Snake fyi).

As far as the swordsmen, adding more isn't that big of a deal as long as they are different from the cast. Shulk in particular stands a spectacular chance at this. I COULD see Chrom getting in, but only if they can make him drastically different from Marth and Ike in the way he fights.

I was thinking in regards to Ridley and Smash speculators... There are a lot of double standards. I mean, there are some people who are against Ridley but completely advocate K.Rool. HWHAT? K.Rool is TWICE THE SIZE OF DONKEY KONG!!! Complete double standard right there. Heck, I support them both, and when I hear that argument I can't help but scratch my head. The size argument just doesn't make any sense in any facet.

With this in mind, I'd like to mention that Bowser in NSMB, and even SM3DW is much larger than Mario and his friends. Maybe not gargantuan, but still pretty big. Except, Peach in Smash Bros. is about even with him in height. He's at least twice her size. Who cares if Bowser is big because of magic? Ridley gets cloned because of science. SCIENCE! So I think we can just say that a smaller version of him can be genetically re-created for Smash Bros. Or do the derps of the Smash internets not understand that scenario or is it "non-canon"?

Need I remind people that the characters in the game are toys? Need I remind people that they don't always stay true to the character? Ike is a very fast lord in his game, yet in Smash is fairly slow. Inconsistencies everywhere. As well as double standards. Sheesh.

/rant

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
This is where you pull back the curtain and find out those people don't legitimately think Ridley is too big, they just lack the mental energy needed to imagine him as anything other than a boss. K. Rool, already having been playable thrice, avoids this, and also the "he's too cool for Smash" thing Oasis brings up.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I've noticed that with a lot of 'Ridley's too big' arguments, people mention Brawl.

They only look at his appearance in Brawl where he is massive. They think his Brawl appearance is his cannon size for Smash.

People seem to ignore Melee's opening where he appears smaller.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It's another inconsistency. Ridley was a boss so always a boss. Charizard was a Pokeball Pokémon, so....oh wait. He's playable now. Oops.

There's always a double standard.

@BKupa

That's just it though. That's the double standard. Ridley is huge. K.Rool is huge (and has been successfully resized). However, Ridley cannot be resized, but it's okay for K.Rool. It's ****ing stupid.

Ridley detractors are by far the dumbest group in all of Smash speculation. I'm serious. They stick with one argument, and don't concede any points. They repeat the same garbage, and when they are challenged or proven wrong, they do nothing to change their argument.

****ing stupid.

D

Deleted member

It's not so much that they "ignore" the Melee opening as much as they pretend it's invalid for whatever reason.
Most common two being
1) "Differences in perspective to the camera for Samus and Ridley!"
2) "Brawl is more relevant and thus is the only thing that matters!"

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
nah I wasn't, but I did look back a couple of pages to see it,
as for new topic . . . . . . . . ummmmm . . . . . . I don't know wario? if not then lets discuss moveset changes

Shoulder Dash as his Side B would be cool. Maybe he gets his roll attack. And give him some more wrestler like throws. I do wonder if Lucas should get a new Down B or not, it does have it differences from Ness' version though. Donkey Kong needs his roll too actually.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
It's another inconsistency. Ridley was a boss so always a boss. Charizard was a Pokeball Pokémon, so....oh wait. He's playable now. Oops.

There's always a double standard.
I actually remember bringing that one up in an argument earlier, they pretty much wrote it off as "well Charizard is smaller, so that doesn't work!"

It gets ridiculous some of the excuses they'll use for discrediting Ridley (and other characters for that matter), even if it leads to hypocrisy they'll try to work around it.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
It's not so much that they "ignore" the Melee opening as much as they pretend it's invalid for whatever reason.
Most common two being
1) "Differences in perspective to the camera for Samus and Ridley!"
2) "Brawl is more relevant and thus is the only thing that matters!"
Maybe ignore wasn't the best word, but people do seem to act as if Brawl is the only thing that matters when it comes to the argument.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Looks like Skull Kid has been disconfirmed... I'm glad.

However, it means assist trophies are back. We may see more disconfirmations in the near future.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Skull Kid looks like our first formal de-confirmation for Smash 4 (unless you count the deal with Toad).

That Sakurai is now showing off Assist Trophies now looks like the ball might start rolling in regards to character de-confirmations.

Looks like the Smash Bros. community is going to be met with a terrible fate in the coming months. :awesome:

The big silver lining in regards to Skull Kid's confirmation as an Assist Trophy is that is might mean that Majora's Mask 3D is in development. Keep in mind Sakurai does consult with the Zelda team in regards to the designs for Zelda characters in Smash Bros., so there is a decent chance Sakurai would become privvy to this game being in development.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Skull Kid looks like our first formal de-confirmation for Smash 4 (unless you count the deal with Toad).

That Sakurai is now showing off Assist Trophies now looks like the ball might start rolling in regards to character de-confirmations.

Looks like the Smash Bros. community is going to be met with a terrible fate in the coming months. :awesome:

Balloon Fighter?

Inawordyes

Smash Lord

That he's showing off the Assist Trophies now means that they probably must be close to release time, as generally you would start rolling out these kind of deconfirmations (for playable status) late in the dev cycle. I have a feeling, now that they've been confirmed to be back, we're gonna see a lot more deconfirmations in the coming weeks as more characters are confirmed as AT's, as well as, I'd imagine, a new design for the Assist Trophy item itself.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Balloon Fighter?
Balloon Fighter and Toad would be more "indirect" de-confirmation. The revelations regarding Villager's recovery and Peach's neutral special don't outright de-confirm the Balloon Fighter and Toad, but definitely greatly hurt their chances. Skull Kid though is definitely outright de-confirmed now.

D

Deleted member

Now the real fun begins....
The pure disconfirmations have now arrived.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Well, we got our first assist trophy. What does everyone think of it?

wow, he looks good in hd, but now we all know he is deconfirmed, which to me is a good thing,
and also it looks like assist trophys are back, yay! those were good,
and now fans better be worried, we got our first formal deconfirmination, there will be more to follow . . . . us waddle "bandana" Dee fans. . . . . . . brace yourselves

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ah goody the assist trophy death sentence is back! Like Golden said, the real fun will now finally start. :troll:

Ah well good thing Skull kid was shown after Toon Link was confirmed. Else a lot of people would have probably set themselves up for disappointment by boasting that Masked Link was some sort of shoo in now. :rolleyes:

Also nice to see our first formal disconfirmation instead of all these vague ones. (Balloon Fighter, Ridley etc etc)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm wondering if this game's gonna do add actually anything new compared to Brawl. Seems like these times will be pre-Brawl all over again.
Also this basically tells us that the old Assists are back. Ah well, I haven't done anything to support Starfy anyway.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'm wondering if this game's gonna do add actually anything new. Seems like this will be Brawl all over again.
Wait are you saying the game looks like a rehash of Brawl, or that Brawl didn't add anything new?

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Now the real fun begins....
The pure disconfirmations have now arrived.
Agreed. And I will be waiting for the disconfirmation of Krystal in the darkest corner of Earth just waiting to slowly creep out and say furbait discarded.:troll:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Damn, Morbid... Those stuffed mushrooms weren't enough... You had to have them served on a Majora's Mask plate. :troll:

Seriously, sorry for those who supported Skull Kid. I know that Sakurai was being ambiguous about Ridley and Toad but he definitely wasn't ambiguous about Skull Kid... I wonder what Skull Kid does... maybe make the Moon crash the stage?

Oh! What if this is a stealth announcement for Majora's Mask 3D? :awesome:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm wondering if this game's gonna do add actually anything new compared to Brawl. Seems like these times will be pre-Brawl all over again.
Also this basically tells us that the old Assists are back. Ah well, I haven't done anything to support Starfy anyway.
Now now let's not jump to that kind of conclusion, just because the Assist Trophy item is back doesn't mean all of the same Assist Trophy Characters will be back in their old roles too, after all. The Pokeball item had met it's good share of Pokemon who were removed or swapped out throughout the Smash series. Heck even one of them became a playable character in Brawl after two games of being an assisting Pokeball Pokemon.

Though I guess we can expect a handful of old Assist Trophy characters from Brawl remaining in their old roles, or some might perhaps become stage elements this time around etc. Can't deny that. :T Though I think that there is a chance that at least one or maybe two will become playable this time around....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom