• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think Shulk being an assist trophy would be more likely then a playable character, primarily due to Xenoblade being a single outing in a pre-mature series. Also before anyone asks, no Xenosaga and Xenogears don't count.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
There's much better, more popular, and more unique playable character choices. Ridley, Mewtwo, Roy, Krom, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Little Mac, K. Rool, Dixie Kong, the Balloon Fighter, Krystal (even if she is devoid of a personality), Takamaru, Sukapon, Lip, Geno, Starfy, Mach Rider (because Wario's bike sucks balls, and real bikes have guns on them!), Saki, Shulk, Samurai Goroh, Zoroark, etc. etc. etc.

Plus quite frankly a significant amount of her fan base seems to just like her because she happens to be a woman.

Also, that picture isn't epic at all. In fact, it looks rather generic. Here is a better, more hype-worthy picture of a character that should be playable! :awesome:

Spire

III
BRoomer
Let's hypothesize for a bit.

What if, just what if there were 30 characters in SSB4? Let's assume that they would like to add 10 new characters. With 20 veterans, who do we choose from? Who differs enough to retain a spot on the roster? Who is important enough to stay?

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
There's much better, more popular, and more unique playable character choices. Ridley, Mewtwo, Roy, Krom, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Little Mac, K. Rool, Dixie Kong, the Balloon Fighter, Krystal (even if she is devoid of a personality), Takamaru, Sukapon, Lip, Geno, Starfy, Mach Rider (because Wario's bike sucks balls, and real bikes have guns on them!), Saki, Shulk, Samurai Goroh, Zoroark, etc. etc. etc.
Obviously Ridley is a most wanted character.. Haha not many argue against it.

But Palutena EASILY fits in among them. (Although your "better" list gets a bit shaky after "k. tool" in terms of chances.

I personally think being a "woman" isn't a big part of her argument. She's kind of a big deal. She's basically Pit's Zelda.

But if you dont like her you can just say so haha

:phone:

Spire

III
BRoomer
Here's the thing. Most Nintendo characters that people en masse identify have already joined Smash Bros. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Yoshi, Wario, Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Samus, Pikachu, Kirby, Fox. Those same people don't know who the Ice Climbers are, who Pit is, or who Ness and Lucas are. They certainly don't know what a Game & Watch is. With SSB4, we won't be seeing the addition of any truly main characters. Sure, highly known supporting characters like Ridley, but it seems we're entering an age where a focus on cross-referencing is taking charge, an age where convergent properties and customization thereof are becoming a norm (and not just in-house stuff). Third party characters would draw more customers than a new Fire Emblem lord, a new Pokémon, another retro character the general public doesn't know, a dead crocodile villain, a girl monkey, a blue fox chick, a starfish, a guy on a bike, a samurai racer, etcetera.

But they won't totally abandon that. Of course we're going to get some new Nintendo characters, but what was on the back of Brawl's box? Oh some pictures of Brawl, yeah well how about SONIC AND SNAKE JOIN THE BRAWL!!!!!!! That's what sold the game to a lot of people. I followed the Dojo every single day, but that one October morning when I woke at 6 in the AM and loaded up the site an-BWAAHH SONIC??? THEY ADDED SONIC??? I don't even care about Sonic, but it blew my mind. Sure, we already knew Snake was gonna be in it, but Sonic came as a huge surprise. It made perfect sense, but it didn't seem like it would ever happen. Everyone I told that day had their minds equally blown. It was like this big deal or something.

So what I'm trying to get at here, is that 3rd Party characters are gonna draw bigger crowds than your favorite forgotten Nintendo characters (they haven't been included yet for a raisin). Seeing as how Ninty is already outsourcing SUPER SMASH BROS. to an out-of-house company probably speaks for their approach to the series at this point. How will you win people over to the Wii U? I remember reading some interview with someone (I don't remember, maybe you did too otherwise you're just gonna have to trust me) where it was stated (and I'm paraphrasing) Super Smash Bros. 4 is going to be the selling point of the Wii U.

How you gonna sell a console with this? Or how about this? You don't. You sell it with MEGA MAN. PAC-MAN. BOMBERMAN. PETER PAN (oh wait they already have Link). Crying blue fox chick, schizophrenic crocodile king, or
CLOUD STRIFE
. Think about it. What characters are as big as Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Pikachu, and Kirby? Well, not many other Nintendo characters. But third parties, sure! Some insane universe where Mario, DK, Link, Samus, Pikachu and Kirby could fight Pac-Man, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, a Chocobo, Boba Fett, and Batman would be a pretty cool thing. We can't imagine it taking place in our own world because copyrights and companies and corporations and creative control and crucifixions exist. But what if?

Nintendo can't achieve that 'what if', but they might be able to score some big name characters from other companies. What if?

Edit: Oh, and if you want to really crush the competition (playstationallstarsbattleroyale) you nab 3rd party characters to better promote your game. It's a race to consume all!

D

Deleted member

You do realize there's good reasons WHY Sakurai is narrowing down third-party possibilities, right?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, it's his game.

He thinks of it as a work of art, and isn't going to add anything he feels are unnecessary to the piece.

Good art doesn't feel cluttered unless that is the intention.

Also, good art doesn't follow what will make a quick buck, since time shows the true value of anything

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
$$$ that won't be made if they overdue it with 3rd parties...

Spire

III
BRoomer
Oh also, Commander Shepherd, the Native American in Assassin's Creed 3, and Death from Darksiders II. I doubt any of those will be in PSASBR, but their games are coming to the Wii U. Cross-promote, money money money!

As totally unrealistic as that is, it's kinda cool—albeit ridiculous.

Everyone take a minute to look at this image: http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/8/928518_67606_back.jpg

Let's see. How do your eyes work? Well you look at the center of the image. You see Snake and Sonic but you want to ignore them. Uhhh some puppy, Groudon, oh hey, there's Mario, Link, Pikachu, and Wario fighting, cool! Snaaaaake. Sooooooonic. Hmm what else... some small pictures of other characters (eyes go back to center of box) SNAKE AND SONIC ARE IN THIS GAME! Your mind is already thinking of everything you know about Snake and Sonic and how they're bringing their **** to Super Smash Bros. Snap crackle pop, game sold.

You see, they cram all the information you want to read roughly into the top half of the box. The bottom is a bunch of **** you will never care about. There are two layers that act like nothing else on the box save a couple header texts, and that's Snake and Sonic. They are larger than any other character, literally overlapping battle images, and well, it's quite obvious the focus of this. The box is designed to sell. The box of course reflects the game, so any character not in the game would not appear on the box (that'd be hilarious).

The point is, they didn't have to make them stand out, but they overshadow every other Nintendo character on the back. They weren't the only newcomers in Brawl though. What about R.O.B.? Why isn't he on the back? How about Wolf? Toon Link? Why can't we see them anywhere? Oh, because they aren't as important.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Oh also, Commander Shepherd, the Native American in Assassin's Creed 3, and Death from Darksiders II. I doubt any of those will be in PSASBR, but their games are coming to the Wii U. Cross-promote, money money money!

Actually Venus of the Desert Bloom has an Assassins Creed thread, since the newest game will be on the Wii U

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai has already stated he won't be overusing 3rd parties in this game, the most I see happening are four. And sure, well-known 3rd parties would probably bring in more money than they would lose (to a point), but even though the likes of Mario, Link, Pikachu, etc. aren't new, they are still the biggest money makers for Smash, and the game won't have a problem selling millions even without heavy reliance on 3rd parties, like PSASBR needs.

And it's pretty obvious that Sakurai cares more about keeping it primarily Nintendo than selling out his roster for more profit.

Spire

III
BRoomer
To be honest, I would prefer to see a Nintendo-only oriented game, with the keenest, best (whatever that means) selections in franchise representation. The perfect arrangement of just Nintendo characters. Maybe do what Soul Calibur 3 did and ax the 3rd party reps for a more wholesome experience.

But with Smash Bros. already having branched into 3rd party territory, the gates are open. I think anything is possible, but not necessarily probable.

Black Mage would be so awesome though.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Everyone take a minute to look at this image: http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/8/928518_67606_back.jpg

Let's see. How do your eyes work? Well you look at the center of the image. You see Snake and Sonic but you want to ignore them. Uhhh some puppy, Groudon, oh hey, there's Mario, Link, Pikachu, and Wario fighting, cool! Snaaaaake. Sooooooonic. Hmm what else... some small pictures of other characters (eyes go back to center of box) SNAKE AND SONIC ARE IN THIS GAME! Your mind is already thinking of everything you know about Snake and Sonic and how they're bringing their **** to Super Smash Bros. Snap crackle pop, game sold.

You see, they cram all the information you want to read roughly into the top half of the box. The bottom is a bunch of **** you will never care about. There are two layers that act like nothing else on the box save a couple header texts, and that's Snake and Sonic. They are larger than any other character, literally overlapping battle images, and well, it's quite obvious the focus of this. The box is designed to sell. The box of course reflects the game, so any character not in the game would not appear on the box (that'd be hilarious).

The point is, they didn't have to make them stand out, but they overshadow every other Nintendo character on the back. They weren't the only newcomers in Brawl though. What about R.O.B.? Why isn't he on the back? How about Wolf? Toon Link? Why can't we see them anywhere? Oh, because they aren't as important.
With this mentality we could've just stopped completely on Smash Bros 64. It had all the Nintendo's most recognisable and best. And from another point you would've wished to see this game become "Popular VG Character DukeOut", because like anyone indeed cares about "Toon Link", or even "R.O.B", or even "your favourite forgotten Nintendo-characters." Heck, why to make this game even be a Nintendo-crossover, despite how IT HAS BROUGHT ALL OF NINTENDO'S FANS TOGETHER IN THIS WHOLE WORLD???

Because cash counts more than anything, right? Here's then something interesting to tell you: that cash will no hold any value whatsoever later on if being exposed to it way too much and thus forgetting all about the effort, care, and heart overall put into any work, as taught by New Super Mario Bros 2's mundane copy-paste theme and flopped "advertisement" mechanic, and today's most of the little kids' cartoon or even teenager show media in your average tv channel has compared to brilliant, polishledly done 90's phenomenal cartoon which we all know as Animaniacs.

The inclusion of Sonic and Snake are just what we think as the "delicious cream" on this so-called cake, that is Nintendo-crossovering goodiness with an unique fighting game mixed in. They just top the cake very well and make it taste even better, finishing it off like a wet dream for your mouth. (or in this case, your sense of gaming). Yet if you pour too much of that cream, it makes the whole cake crash and taste oversaturated and bland.
They're not meant to be there necessarily, but they made the whole thing better. But it doesn't mean we should make a cake made of whole cream (including more 3rd parties) and take away the whole basis that Smash Bros was meant to be: to be a Nintendo-exclusive crossover fighting-game.

[COLLAPSE="And that my friends, ends my Evaluation Time."]
[/COLLAPSE]

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I wanna play Super Monkey Ball 2 with you now Oasis. (-UvU-)b
YOU KNOW, I hear that was the best one but I totally missed out on it. >:

Played so much of the first one. What was that one minigame? Monkey Target? A couple of friends and me used play the game just for that. We got so good. We'd land on those little tiny golden pegs and get like 100 points.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This is somewhat relavent. Does anyone know if the 3DS version of pilotwings is as good as the Super Nintendo game?

I loved the Super Nintendo game back in the day, though I was never able to beat the last instructor

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
YOU KNOW, I hear that was the best one but I totally missed out on it. >:

Played so much of the first one. What was that one minigame? Monkey Target? A couple of friends and me used play the game just for that. We got so good. We'd land on those little tiny golden pegs and get like 100 points.
Awww maan, you just DON'T KNOW, gosh! That game has like so much more minigames than last one. And they're quite improved too. Aww maan, I wish I could buy you a copy so you can get to enjoy the second one. (-l^l-);

Back on topic though. I dunno really Psycho. Pilotwings Resort's something I saw as "Mii-game for a 3DS"...

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO THAT FAR.

I got Banana Blitz hoping for a more... intuitive? Monkey Ball, and that just did not work out. They must have added that stupid JUMP feature because they realized how bad motion controls were for that game. NOT TO MENTION that game was like, a crappy minigame collection foremost. Not even kidding. Most of them were so stupid and with terrible controls that you couldn't even play them anyhow.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU OTHER LOSERS ARE DOING HERE, THIS IS THE MONKEY BALL REVIEW THREAD. YOU MUST HAVE HEARD WRONG.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO THAT FAR.

I got Banana Blitz hoping for a more... intuitive? Monkey Ball, and that just did not work out. They must have added that stupid JUMP feature because they realized how bad motion controls were for that game. NOT TO MENTION that game was like, a crappy minigame collection foremost. Not even kidding. Most of them were so stupid and with terrible controls that you couldn't even play them anyhow.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU OTHER LOSERS ARE DOING HERE, THIS IS THE MONKEY BALL REVIEW THREAD. YOU MUST HAVE HEARD WRONG.
I know man. We'll never get another game like Super Monkey Ball 2 :(

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Such silly spam silently setting seven sets of sentences...sorry, spam is super silly and should be silenced.

Silly spam...

Chaos 5

Smash Rookie
2 things

1 Link's super attack should be the Fierce Deity Mask.

2 If Sonic is in the game then Eggman's wrecking ball should be an assist trophy

D

Deleted member

I doubt realistically we'd get Mega Man.

I still say it's Namco or bust
Not that I think we'll get a Namco rep, but I fail to see why we can't have both a Namco rep and a Capcom rep. Clearly the inclusion of Snake didn't stop Sega from getting a rep.

D

Deleted member

It's not that Namco will PREVENT a Capcom rep, but it's that while both Namco and Capcom are not pushing Sakurai for their characters (idiots....-_-), at least Sakurai has the connections to Namco at this point in time. The opportunity is right there.

D

Deleted member

It's not that Namco will PREVENT a Capcom rep, but it's that while both Namco and Capcom are not pushing Sakurai for their characters (idiots....-_-), at least Sakurai has the connections to Namco at this point in time. The opportunity is right there.
Except that I doubt Sakurai is interested in a Namco Bandai rep. Not once has Sakurai spoken about the potential of a Namco Bandai rep.

D

Deleted member

And yet, the only thing he has said in regards to a Capcom character is that it "isn't out of the realm of possibility" then tried to pull some crap in regards that 3rd Parties have to fit. So it's not like Mega Man is super uber mega giga likely.

Which again, leads me more to beleive that Snake and Sonic will remain the only guests (unless Sakurai decides to include secondary characters from their series). No one is pushing for one, and Sakurai doesn't seem interested in any.
Unlike with Mega Man, Sakurai has shown interest in Sonic prior to his inclusion.

JPW

Smash Ace
Except that I doubt Sakurai is interested in a Namco Bandai rep. Not once has Sakurai spoken about the potential of a Namco Bandai rep.
As i recalled prior to the first Brawl trailer Sakurai never talked about Snake being in it. It was a huge surprise to all. It only got the ball rolling for Sonic speculation he never talked about Sonic being included in fact as i recalled he made it sound like it was only going to be Snake for a very long time.

It was basically the Sonic fans that built up the hype and demands. I think in the end he had to give in.

I really don't see the problem adding 2 more third party reps. To me four 3rd party reps is fine.

I definitely see PacMan as a 3rd party shoein if there was need for one. What made Sonic such a good and reasonable choice wasn't just popularity but also the rivalry that Nintendo and Sega had back in the 90's. Nintendo and Namco pretty much had their share of problems too. Now they're on good terms and we have seen PacMan all around on Nintendo consoles lately and even in Mario Kart Arcades. PacMan is most likely. And i see Namco definitely trying to step in with a character. And Mario vs PacMan means and fits more than Mario vs Heihachi or Mario vs Nightmare or even Mario vs YoshiMitsu.

I'm actually looking forward to when we'll see the first trailer and who will be the first set of newcomers they reveal. I'm really curious how they'll make this one stand out from the E3 2006 one.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
so i've been thinking about the roster size and what Sakurai said about not expecting as many characters added. the roster i created totals at 49 characters without transformations, which increases from brawl by 14. This is more than the jump from Melee to Brawl, but at the same time, something is telling me that only adding 10 characters or less to the roster wouldn't be a great selling point for the 4th Smash Bros installment, even if it is being made more competitive.

i will gladly post my roster in here if anyone is interested in looking at it, because im open to discussing the roster i made. im trying to make it more logical rather than what i would like to see

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
so i've been thinking about the roster size and what Sakurai said about not expecting as many characters added. the roster i created totals at 49 characters without transformations, which increases from brawl by 14. This is more than the jump from Melee to Brawl, but at the same time, something is telling me that only adding 10 characters or less to the roster wouldn't be a great selling point for the 4th Smash Bros installment, even if it is being made more competitive.

i will gladly post my roster in here if anyone is interested in looking at it, because im open to discussing the roster i made. im trying to make it more logical rather than what i would like to see
I don't think ~50 characters excluding transformations is an unreasonable or unrealistic amount, even with Sakurai's recent comments, although I don't think we'll see more than that. My guess would be somewhere between 45-50 (again excluding transformations) so 49 is a good roster amount. And technically it isn't more than the jump from Melee to Brawl, as 15 (or 18 -- depending on how you look at it) characters were added. Granted, the number of character slots only went up by 10, but that's due to the five that were cut. And ten new additions, plus adding popular cut veterans, with no cuts from Brawl would result in 47 characters, which is quite a plausible number of characters.

And sure, if you want some roster suggestions or critique, I'd be happy to share my opinions on yours, for whatever they're worth. ;):p

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

not sure about 5 pokemon, or palutena. im assuming that namco will get a 3rd party rep, but i would also want megaman. i prefer paper mario over bowser jr (sorry N3ON) aaaand thats about it haha

EDIT AGAIN: i replaced Toon Link with Ghirahim because of the similar art style of Skyward Sword and the toon games. part of Toon Link and Twilight Link in brawl was the difference in art styles. There isnt much of a difference between SS and the Toon games, so as much as i love Toon Link, i feel like it wouldnt be a bad idea to replace him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom