• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina's grab release followups

Shao-tan

Smash Cadet
After watching Rain's play on the japanese tournament, I noticed he did a grab release setup on Wario as seen here. I got curious about it, so I tried grab release setups against every character in the game. Although I tested against level 9 CPUs, which tend to mash jump and air dodge out of combos, I still can't be 100% sure about everything, some things can only be tested against human opponents, please have that in mind.

Well, unfortunately, most characters actually don't get hit by grab release setups, the only ones I found something meaningful are:

Wario, Megaman: Fair, Uair, Upsmash (only Luma hits), dash Upsmash (not sure about this one, maybe you can escape). I'm not sure if Megaman can rush coil out of it, but I'm fairly sure that the game treats grab release animation as something other than hitstun, so it's most likely possible.

Fox, Greninja, Sheik: Dash attack. Not sure why you'd pick this option, but it's possible so I'm dumping it here anyway. You have to do it instantly, as seen on this thread. Maybe, just maybe you can hit Sheik with a dash Upsmash because her animation is fairly longer, but I don't think I can confirm this with a CPU opponent.

Last edited:

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Yea, i´ve been using upsmash since release, and sometimes it works sometimes not. Do we know how airrelease is triggered in this iteration of smash because that could help getting more reliable punishes from grabreleases.

Chaos Paladin

Smash Journeyman
I've been able to consistently get downthrow to fair instead of grab release to fair. It works better at lower percents though, and I think it can be vectored out of by certain characters. It may be more reliable than grab release though. I can even follow up with a second fair sometimes.

EDIT: Here's a video with more info about that type of grab release: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szd9f7i1Qo8

As Smasher89 said, it looks like you can follow up with an upsmash too which is probably a better option in most cases since it's a kill move.

Has anyone found if it works on anyone other than Wario?

Last edited:

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Dthrow fair is unreliable since it can be jumped out of, but i guess that might open them up for something else, havent figured out which option is best in that situation though.

LUpsmash also depends on the direction luma is facing and spacing hes currently on, on lower % it kinda can lead to rosalina upair though for a smoth little string.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
When you have Luma out a little distance away from you and facing you, Luma can Ftilt them out of a ground grab release (Easiest if you grab them and pummel while she's coming back towards you).

Torn_Smash

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1203-9336-3774
I've been finding that on lower percents you can down throw --> Utilt, is this guaranteed or can you jump out of it?

Smasher89

Smash Lord
I've been finding that on lower percents you can down throw --> Utilt, is this guaranteed or can you jump out of it?
Ive been doing the same with fthrow luma uptilt (when luma is in the awaystance), often sets up for a rosa upair/fair or luma pressure

Mienaikage

Smash Cadet
At very low percentages, if you grab and do 2 or 3 taps with the wand followed by uThrow you can follow up with uTilt if Luma is next to you. Training mode says 5 hit combo.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
When you have Luma out a little distance away from you and facing you, Luma can Ftilt them out of a ground grab release (Easiest if you grab them and pummel while she's coming back towards you).

So I've been messing with this more and it is MUCH more useful than I had thought.Anytime you are desynched and have done at least one roll, it seems Luma will immediately get in position to do a follow up Ftilt off of a grounded grab release.
It's hard to test by myself if it's guaranteed, but I've also had Dsmash work from this.

I need to mess with the air release, but we may be able to air release into a Usmash as well.

SykesLoZ

Smash Rookie
NNID
SykesLoZ
3DS FC
4768-8051-9312
Maybe I am just lucky, but it seems if you are able to boostgrab successfully, you can pummel until release and jab with luma's jab combo for a good bit of damage.

Mienaikage

Smash Cadet
If you can get a video that would be great. I've managed to desync Rosalina from Luma, but Luma won't do anything while Rosalina is still performing an action it seems.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The Luma does desync itself whenever Rosalina recovers any damage. I've noticed this myself, as it always stopped each time something like auto-healing equipment activates.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
If Luma is desynced and a couple steps ahead of you, which characters do you have enough frame advantage on to do an attack out of grab release?

SykesLoZ

Smash Rookie
NNID
SykesLoZ
3DS FC
4768-8051-9312
I don't have the means to record gameplay otherwise I would try to figure this out myself. But I have been able to do it on nearly all the larger characters and a lot of the smaller characters as long as they aren't expecting it.

Top Bottom