• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina and Luma "desyncs" AT

Deep2

Smash Apprentice
So I've been toying around with Rosalina and have found that you can semi-desync the Luna, by jumping and doing side B. Now what this does is make the Luma stand still and do Side B, while Rosalina is moving. The cool thing about this though is that it doesn't SEPERATE Rosalina and Luma.

Rosalina and Luma's Neutral B is the Luma shot. This shoots out the Luma and makes him "seperate" for as long as you keep putting out attacks. When the Luma is done putting out attacks, it goes back to you, but in a position directly in front of you.

"Desyncing" them with Side B is different, because they're not really desynced in a sense or seperate, the game still treats them as if they're together and therefore, the game will make Luma move really quickly back towards Rosalina EVEN IF Luma's doing any sort of attack, the momentum can be equivalent to a DACUS or even more. You can use this in combos. If they get hit with the second side B, you can make Luma do things that can combo into grabs. For example. DTilt combos into Grab, then you can DThrow into a FAir. See the gfycat(and sorry for the quality).

Combos can be done diagonally as well for example, Luma UAir into Rosalina Dair. I've only been experimenting for a little bit but I feel this technique can be really promising, and people can become really creative with this.

I think we should call this the Luma-pault. Like the old Nana-pault for Ice Climbers, the difference is it is nowhere near as difficult to perform.

Last edited:

Deep2

Smash Apprentice
Your gfycat isn't loading properly for some reason.
I'm not sure why either, I'm reuploading the gfycat.
Something else that I forgot to mention is that it can be safe, because you can either go for the second side B and the desync combo, or you can do a DTilt. Short Hop Side B combos into DTilt if you get a hit confirm on the star bits. So if you see them shielding, just use your aerial control to space yourself probably and land and do a dtilt for some more shield damage/to see if you can shield poke.

Oh and for some of the more heavy/awkward characters, you can use an FTilt instead. If you FTilt you can turn around and grab them just in time before their hitstun ends.

Another thing, this is the equivalent of pressing neutral B to tell your Luma to come back, after the neutral B animation finishes you can command your Luma to do any tilt or smash attack, all while flying extremely quickly through the entire stage. It's very possible during this to combo something like a Luma DSmash into a Rosalina DAir, FAir, BAir, or Grab.

Last edited:

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
So if I understand this correctly, it makes the game think the Luma is with you, when it actually isn't? If so, this is really interesting, and I'd love to see some pro Rosaluma players utilise this.

Weavile's Wrath

Smash Apprentice
This bumps up Rosalina's viability quite a bit. Since this is probably a glitch, it could be patched by Mash Potato Samurai. But hopefully he lets it stick around as part of Rosalina's metagame, like Melee Ness's yoyo glitch.

Deep2

Smash Apprentice
So if I understand this correctly, it makes the game think the Luma is with you, when it actually isn't? If so, this is really interesting, and I'd love to see some pro Rosaluma players utilise this.
Yeah I guess you could say that, however I found something far more interesting already. REAL desyncs. I'm going to be uploading some Gfycats in a second but I'll explain how it works now.

So, Smash4 has a lot of Auto Canceling moves. These include Rosalina's moveset. So, what you do, is step by step:

1. Shorthop
2. IMMEDIATELY DAir.
3. Wait for the DAir animation to end, right before touching the ground, input the aerial you want Luma to perform. Your aerial auto-cancels, Luma does his aerial thinking you did it too, you can input any other move, or jump.

Luma's FAir is extremely good desynced because it goes through the stage and can even go behind players, it has lots of range and is very strong. Luma's Fair can combo into Rosalina's UAir or FAir or RAR BAir.

A few examples:

Luma UAir, Rosalina FTilt desync(I do not believe Rosalina's UAir autocancels in this clip)

Luma FAir, Rosalina Turnaround FTilt

Last edited:

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I guess you could say that, however I found something far more interesting already. REAL desyncs. I'm going to be uploading some Gfycats in a second but I'll explain how it works now.

So, Smash4 has a lot of Auto Canceling moves. These include Rosalina's moveset. So, what you do, is step by step:

1. Shorthop
2. IMMEDIATELY DAir.
3. Wait for the DAir animation to end, right before touching the ground, input the aerial you want Luma to perform. Your aerial auto-cancels, Luma does his aerial thinking you did it too, you can input any other move, or jump.

Luma's FAir is extremely good desynced because it goes through the stage and can even go behind players, it has lots of range and is very strong. Luma's Fair can combo into Rosalina's UAir or FAir or RAR BAir.

A few examples:

Luma UAir, Rosalina FTilt desync(I do not believe Rosalina's UAir autocancels in this clip)

Luma FAir, Rosalina Turnaround FTilt
Whoa, that's really cool! Is it at all possible to combine this with the semi-desynch for longer combos?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I took the liberty of posting about this to the Rosalina subforum. Hope you don't mind.

A good find I'm excited to try out in...

*checks calendar*

...3 weeks. Joy.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Stop making me overly excited for playing as Rosalina. :p

These are amazing finds though.

iruchii

Smash Apprentice
That's really interesting, good job! By playing against Rosalina a lot, I feel like she has a ton of potential and any strong advanced technique could easily push her over the edge.

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
With the whole SH - Dair - Aerial you want Luma to do before you hit the ground desync combo how exactly would you pull this off against an actual competent opponent? I mean couldn't they just hit you during SH-Dair part?

I can clearly see how they're out of sync with each other, but I fail to see how you would be able to put that near specific set of inputs (besides Luma's aerial) to practical real match use. I guess I just need to see it utilized seamlessly within a match against someone who fights back, someone who isn't stupid.

Same applies to the partial desync. The combo in your first examples looks great, but then you remember it's an unmoving CPU she's using it on. It's clear it has a use, I just want to see how it can work in a real match. Again it comes down to being able to utilize in a real match setting.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
ive done 1 side b oos to get some good stuff from it before reading this tread, i got smashes and grabs from it, but the second lumashot makes it way cooler and looks much better, thanks for sharing :D
ill share a little good thing, upthrow or dthrow has guarandied nair after btw, luma seems to mostly hit from one of those throws at low %

Last edited:

Deep2

Smash Apprentice
With the whole SH - Dair - Aerial you want Luma to do before you hit the ground desync combo how exactly would you pull this off against an actual competent opponent? I mean couldn't they just hit you during SH-Dair part?

I can clearly see how they're out of sync with each other, but I fail to see how you would be able to put that near specific set of inputs (besides Luma's aerial) to practical real match use. I guess I just need to see it utilized seamlessly within a match against someone who fights back, someone who isn't stupid.

Same applies to the partial desync. The combo in your first examples looks great, but then you remember it's an unmoving CPU she's using it on. It's clear it has a use, I just want to see how it can work in a real match. Again it comes down to being able to utilize in a real match setting.
They're difficult to use but still useful. I do not know about the Side B "combo" since I haven't tried it, but FAir desyncs and BAir desyncs work great because they have such extreme range that you can zone them out with it.

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
Yeah I mean it's one thing to see it performed in a controlled setting regardless of how it's being applied, but another entirely to experience/play it for yourself. That's generally when everything "clicks" and you go oh now I see what they were talking about. This is pretty cool.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
Less than a month until the experimenting can be done... Hype to see what they can produce

Smasher89

Smash Lord
you dont need to dair, its a landlagdesynch so you can easily just do an aerial just before landing. Im defenitly going to practice this with fastfalling later, feels like a nice aggressive option.

Last edited:

Deep2

Smash Apprentice
you dont need to dair, its a landlagdesynch so you can easily just do an aerial just before landing. Im defenitly going to practice this with fastfalling later, feels like a nice aggressive option.
Her only aerial that she can perform without landing beforehand in a shorthop is dair, it is possible to do it without doing a DAir however it becomes much much more difficult to time. It is a landlag desync, so really you don't need to dair or anything, you can even airdodge then perform your move.

Last edited:
Top Bottom