• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina and Gimping

Great_Shell

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2595-0705-3507
Does anyone know any reliable methods to gimp with Rose? I've had limited success with Luma way out in the air but she's easy to avoid. Am I just ******** or missing something?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Depends on the character.

For characters with bad recovery, star bits can be enough for a gimp.
For others putting Luma just at the edge and spamming Dtilt can do it.

For others I throw Luma out there and try to intercept them when they try to avoid her. Sourspot Dair and Fair are good for gimps on this sort.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I've been trying to spike with down air, but it's surprisingly difficult to time and/or space. Most of the time I get horizontal hit.

No idea what the best Luma edgeguard tactic is. Simply sending it out at stage level doesn't seem to work too well since the opponent can just go under it, or if they're high enough it's a complete nonissue. I don't know if you can set Luma high up and expect it to stay there.

Great_Shell

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2595-0705-3507
I've been trying to spike with down air, but it's surprisingly difficult to time and/or space. Most of the time I get horizontal hit.

No idea what the best Luma edgeguard tactic is. Simply sending it out at stage level doesn't seem to work too well since the opponent can just go under it, or if they're high enough it's a complete nonissue. I don't know if you can set Luma high up and expect it to stay there.

Yup every time, so now I just save my neutralB until the end, Rosa isn't too common apparently, I've yet to face another Rose player in my 12 hours of online play so it's easy to surprise them. Luma matches you altitude so it's always a stage level since she doesn't mirror jumps when sent out.

manju

Smash Rookie
I find the best way to get off stage kills is to just go off stage and use aerials. For example if the opponent is below the ledge, I like to run off and Dair/Bair. The Luma hit of Dair is a kill move which sends them out horizontally (Rosalina's hit can spike as well). Since you're so close to the blast zone when you're off stage, if your opponent has a decent percentage you'll probably take the stock. Rosalina's recovery is good enough to where she can get away with this; she can easily get out 3 aerials before having to return to the stage/ledge.

I don't think sending out Luma with neutral B is ever a good option. If the opponent is not in special fall from their Up-B, they can just air dodge and now you're in a bad position until you can get Luma back. If they are in special fall away from the stage, there's obviously no problem. In a setting with custom moves, Rosalina's Falco Starbit (which I can't begin to describe how much I love) can be used when your opponent is at a medium height off stage as potentially free damage which, unlike Luma Shot, can't be punished. I haven't been able to fully explore the potential of the Falcobit for edge-guarding but I imagine it probably makes characters with bad recoveries like Marth cry.

Basically, you can pursue off stage due to Rosalina's good recovery and don't need to try any subpar Luma shenanigans.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Yup every time, so now I just save my neutralB until the end, Rosa isn't too common apparently, I've yet to face another Rose player in my 12 hours of online play so it's easy to surprise them. Luma matches you altitude so it's always a stage level since she doesn't mirror jumps when sent out.
I've encountered one Rosalina so far, and it was a character switch after I beat their I-don't-even-remember-what. That was an interesting match, especially when the RNG gave us the same Luma colors so it was really hard to tell which one was which.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice

The spike is all the way at the end of the ring in the dead center, it's pretty hard but it's good move to hit with even without the spike.

Luma bits are your friends, these can gimp plenty of characters simply by making them mess up their recovery without too much risky business, as well as d-tilts and d-airs from Luma

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353
Against certain characters that like to recover horizontally like Ike, sometimes lil macs etc..I like to run off the edge and then double jump nair back on stage. The ending part of the hitbox send them in a good trajectory that can be the death of them, or setup for another gimp attempt with dair.

I like dair w/o luma to gimp. with the soft hit you can interrupt the opponents double jump if you read them correctly. I don't recommend using fair when going below the ledge..it can be difficult (especially with the 3ds stick-_-) to angle a proper recovery after that move finished.

I feel rosa can have a solid gimp game, as she can hang out there for a good amount of time before having to recover thanks to the distance on her up b, as well as her floatiness, we just have to be smart about it.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Did a fun thing earlier, against Ness, when hes forced to up b, jump out and press down b for profit, i added a footstool to it because why not :D

Great_Shell

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2595-0705-3507
Yes! I finally got a spike earlier today, so satisfying to pull off. Thanks for the tips so far guys I've been trying out all of this stuff and it's been fun to venture outside the stage.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
The spike is all the way at the end of the ring in the dead center, it's pretty hard but it's good move to hit with even without the spike.
It's closer towards the middle of the ring's descent. The end of the ring's descent has a very weak hitbox that doesn't spike, which is also ideal for gimping as iggy mentioned.

Last edited:

Torn_Smash

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1203-9336-3774
Against certain characters that like to recover horizontally like Ike, sometimes lil macs etc..I like to run off the edge and then double jump nair back on stage. The ending part of the hitbox send them in a good trajectory that can be the death of them, or setup for another gimp attempt with dair.

I like dair w/o luma to gimp. with the soft hit you can interrupt the opponents double jump if you read them correctly. I don't recommend using fair when going below the ledge..it can be difficult (especially with the 3ds stick-_-) to angle a proper recovery after that move finished.

I feel rosa can have a solid gimp game, as she can hang out there for a good amount of time before having to recover thanks to the distance on her up b, as well as her floatiness, we just have to be smart about it.
I agree that Nair is actually one of her best edgeguarding aerials, it lasts for so long and has a good range around Rosa, also if you have your Luma with you, then Luma will hit in front of Rosa at the beginning of the Nair with powerful knockback and it will usually result in a KO at 90% or above if you are edgeguarding. And even if you miss that, the rest of the Nair can hit them and screw up their recover, so I've been finding Nair to be very effective for that purpose. It's not really as good in the neutral game though

SSNC Luck

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-4300-0348
I agree that Nair is actually one of her best edgeguarding aerials, it lasts for so long and has a good range around Rosa, also if you have your Luma with you, then Luma will hit in front of Rosa at the beginning of the Nair with powerful knockback and it will usually result in a KO at 90% or above if you are edgeguarding. And even if you miss that, the rest of the Nair can hit them and screw up their recover, so I've been finding Nair to be very effective for that purpose. It's not really as good in the neutral game though
Pretty much my thoughts exactly on Nair, it is awful in neutral game, I want it to be a get off me move in neutral but it's not even close to that.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
I've had the most success going off stage and meeting them with an aerial. All are pretty reliable bar UpAir which only works if they're in the air near the ceiling of the stage. All the others work wonders.

Top Bottom