• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rolling Heists: Grand Theft Auto for Smash!

pikachu9999

Banned via Warnings
So I've recently been playing a lot of GTA, and it hit me that it's one of the biggest video game series of all time, so a Smash character would be a no-brainer. CJ would be the most obvious choice. But I had a few ideas.
---
Carl Johnson (Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas)
A literal icon, CJ is easily the one of the most recognizable characters in the GTA series and in video game history. He is also very unique in the fact that he's the only protagonist to use a jetpack and learn different fighting styles. One thing that would hinder his inclusion would be Young Maylay's (CJ's voice actor) falling out with Rockstar, however.

Trevor Philips (Grand Theft Auto V)
Grand Theft Auto V is the latest game in the ever-popular series, and Trevor is one of the game's protagonists. He's proven to be the most popular of the three, due to his explosive anger and general weirdness. One thing preventing him is that maybe he would be a bit TOO much for Smash, considering he's extremely vulgar.

Claude (Grand Theft Auto III)
Claude is the protagonist of GTA 3, a very important game, since not only is it the first GTA game to be in 3D, it set the standard for open-world games in general, redefining a genre. Plus, since he doesn't speak, there would be no voice actor disputes. The only truly "vulgar" thing about Claude is his "taunt" where he raises his middle finger at a car if it honks at him.

---

Oh, yes. We can't forget about the movesets.

NEUTRAL SPECIAL: SHOOTING
The player fires the selected gun.

SIDE SPECIAL: GRENADE TOSS
The player tosses a grenade forward that explodes on contact.

UP SPECIAL (Claude and Trevor only): SUPER JUMP
GTA is also known for it's insane cheat codes, and one such code is the Super Jump code and the player simply jumps really high into the air. This isn't an attack however, it's purely an evasive/recovery tactic (think of Pit's Power of Flight).

UP SPECIAL (CJ only): JETPACK
CJ flies upwards on his jetpack. The fire from the jetpack can damage opponents.

DOWN SPECIAL: WEAPON SWITCH
The player switches out whatever weapon he was using. They can choose from a pistol, a machine gun or a shotgun. Each gun has ammo, so they must reload once the weapon is out of ammo.

FINAL SMASH (Claude): ROCKET LAUNCHER

Claude whips out a rocket launcher and shoots multiple rockets explode on contact and do big damage.

FINAL SMASH (CJ and Trevor): SHOOTOUT

CJ, with Big Smoke and Ryder or Trevor, with Franklin and Michael, drive up in a car. If it hits an/some opponent(s), all three characters will shoot at them with machine guns and then CJ/Trevor finish it off with a rocket launcher blast.
---
Now, let's address the common things everyone says about these characters:

"But GTA is an M-rated game!"
Since games like Persona, Bayonetta and Metal Gear are also rated M, the rating shouldn't even matter at this point. Also, they could simply make sure the character doesn't swear in Smash, since Bayonetta cursed up a storm in her games.

"But GTA has real guns!"
So does Snake. Joker could count as well, considering that even though it's a model, it's based off of a realistic gun. Hell, everyone wants Doomguy in Smash, why are these guys different?

"But GTA is banned in Japan!"
Incorrect. Mortal Kombat was banned in Japan. GTA was heavily censored in Japan, but it's still available to play there. Capcom even publishes the games in Japan.

"But GTA has never been on a Nintendo console!"
Also incorrect. GTA 1 and 2 are on Game Boy Color, GTA Advance is on Game Boy Advance, and GTA Chinatown Wars is on DS. Fun fact, GTA Advance is the only GTA game to be exclusive to a Nintendo console. Also, GTA 3 and Vice City were planned to be released on GameCube, but were scrapped for unknown reasons. GTA 5 was also rumored to have a Wii U port that also got canned for unknown reasons as well. There had also been another rumor of a cancelled GTA game for Nintendo 64, possibly a port of GTA 1 or 2.

---

I think I said everything that need to be said, so let me know what you think. GTA in Smash or no?

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Would be cool to have it in Smash!
I support.
(I remember playing San Andres as well Vice City long time ago.)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I love the GTA games and while I know this would never happen, support all the way.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Not many will back this, but I do. I'm all for GTA in Smash, nobody can say the inclusion isn't deserved.

Top Bottom