• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rolling around at the speed of sound

Boxob.

Smash Lord
I switch to claw when I want to do something that requires quick input, like an autocanceled ganon stomp
Lol.

:093:
I just want to get a general idea of how technically skilled some of you guys are.

I find none of the techniques in Brawl difficult to perform, even Yoshi's Dragonic Reverse (Seriously, worst name for a tech ever) isn't too hard. But I know that others may find that simple things like spinshots or ASC difficult to do.

When I saw the above quote, it made me realize a lot of brawl players weren't conditioned from Melee's crackwhore speeds. Additionally, I lol'd pretty hard.

Lastly, I would like to state that this is meant to be a legitimate topic, and not a spam fest, get this locked, get me infracted, and I'll see that all your steak is taken away.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
I have no technical skill, that's why I play brawl.
Not to mention, I have no time to practice technical skill or a melee disk to practice it on.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I have no technical skill, that's why I play brawl.
Not to mention, I have no time to practice technical skill or a melee disk to practice it on.

I agree with Eggz.

I know I would get my *** handed to me if I play a 1/2 competant Melee player, which is why I avoid the ***-whooping.

That, and May-Lay doesn't have the Sawnik.

I know, I'm a horrible person.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'm pretty good when it comes to technical skill.
Back in Melee I could waveshine, shine infinite against walls, DJCSHFFL Ness' moves, nair to rest with Jiggs, and auto grab the edge using Jiggz sing while running off of the level.

Y'know, that kind of stuff.

Oh, and ledgecancelling attacks were sexy as hell.

Nothing in Brawl is difficult to do since I'm so used to Melee's requirements.
Although since I've been playing Brawl so much, my muscle memory is kinda fading away.

I do have a harder time with some techs in Melee now, but I can still do them.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah, I agree with Puffy. It only took me about a solid 15 minutes of practice to get my SHFFLing back in order. It's funny because I sometimes forget that you can't grab the edge when falling backwards, lol.

Brawl...it's easy mode tech wise :/

Boxob.

Smash Lord
I'm pretty good when it comes to technical skill.
Back in Melee I could waveshine, shine infinite against walls, DJCSHFFL Ness' moves, nair to rest with Jiggs, and auto grab the edge using Jiggz sing while running off of the level.

Y'know, that kind of stuff.

Oh, and ledgecancelling attacks were sexy as hell.

Nothing in Brawl is difficult to do since I'm so used to Melee's requirements.
Although since I've been playing Brawl so much, my muscle memory is kinda fading away.

I do have a harder time with some techs in Melee now, but I can still do them.
Ledge cancel was indeed sexy, took the words write out of my mouth.

I couldn't shine infinite, I could drill shine infinite, though. I never play fox though.

DJC's were so hawt with Yoshi/M2. I never really liked ness. I just like YYGing people. ****'s hilarious.

Puff, did you do a DR as Yoshi in our ditto? It looked like it but I wasn't really paying attention.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I loved playing as Mewtwo. I was even able to do the ledge infinite with him.

And no, I didn't do it. I don't care enough for Yoshi's DR to implement it.

Boxob.

Smash Lord
I loved playing as Mewtwo. I was even able to do the ledge infinite with him.

And no, I didn't do it. I don't care enough for Yoshi's DR to implement it.
As in jump off ledge > UpB back > Repeat? Yoshi's so fun in Melee, I'm actually just comboing level 1 Ganon with him right now lol.

And yeah DR is ghey.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
The only character I hate playing is Pichu, for the simple fact the he hurts himself and I'm so anal about it. It's the only thing I can focus on. "GAH, I JUST USED THUNDAH! NAO I HERT!"

aeghrur

Smash Champion
The only things I know how to do in melee is this:
Marth->Jump, fair, Fsmash, Forward-B.
ZOMG IRPRO!

Boxob.

Smash Lord
The only character I hate playing is Pichu, for the simple fact the he hurts himself and I'm so anal about it. It's the only thing I can focus on. "GAH, I JUST USED THUNDAH! NAO I HERT!"

Short hop + any direction will make it so thunder doesn't actually hit you.

Scrub scrub scrub.

I don't like pichu cause I just kinda suck as him.

Boxob.

Smash Lord
Bah, this is turning into a Melee thread lol. I was only using it a comparison game cause I figured a majority of you could relate to it. Does anyone here actually find it hard to do let's just say, Side b reverse spinshot? Or how about IC's chaingrabs?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Short hop + any direction will make it so thunder doesn't actually hit you.

Scrub scrub scrub.

I don't like pichu cause I just kinda suck as him.

Well, duh I know that. I'm just referring to his electric attacks in general >_>
I just spam Uair and grabs because they both have ridiculous range.

Bah, this is turning into a Melee thread lol. I was only using it a comparison game cause I figured a majority of you could relate to it. Does anyone here actually find it hard to do let's just, Side b reverse spinshot?

Spinshot is too easy, IC's chaingrabs are on the more difficult side though...

Browny

Smash Hater
i cant wave dash, DJC, combo, SH or even L cancel in melee (also never even heard of them until brawl came out)

no wonder melee vets hate brawl for being easy, i had 0 technical skill beforehand, and that huge gap is completely gone when it comes to brawl, only my knowledge of brawl's mechanics saves me :p

Boxob.

Smash Lord
i cant wave dash, DJC, combo, SH or even L cancel in melee (also never even heard of them until brawl came out)

no wonder melee vets hate brawl for being easy, i had 0 technical skill beforehand, and that huge gap is completely gone when it comes to brawl, only my knowledge of brawl's mechanics saves me :p
Honestly, I thought you were a Melee vet, you play so well. ^_^

Good for you though, you aughta try Melee though, it's a lot of fun after you play it for like a week and can full incorporate all the techs.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
D***it Boxob, once you make a Melee thread, they all would be flocking over here, because you know as well as I do they don't give a flying-Steak about Steak/Sonic/Brawl!

:laugh:

I mean

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I was hoping this would be a Sonic sing a long thread. Guess not.

I've mained Falco for three years in Melee.

: O

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Just Keep on Moving Ahead...

I played Melee, knew the techincal stuff, but I didn't really have that much fun with it. I was too competative with it.

"That, and May-Lay doesn't have the Sawnik."

Brawl is more fun to me. But yes, I knows what I does, and I'll make up stuff along the way, thanks to the wholesome power of steak.

RenegadeRaven

Smash Ace
Lol, poor Boxob. Random people are starting to come in here to talk about melee.

Nah, but I don't find Spin shotting hard.
IC chain grabs are d*mn hard though, seriously.

I didn't know melee had anything technical about it until about a year before Brawl came out.
l canceling was probably the only thing I actually tried to apply. I actually didn't care too much about Wavedashing to implement it. It just seemed annoying to have to do consecutively.

So I'd say my tech skill is probably below average. I don't see how anyone can play with the 'claw'. Awkward as hell.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I can combo in Melee but I can't do most of the ATs. I still can wavedash and I can't even Short Hop with Fox LOL.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
if I tried to play Melee now, OMFG it would be so horrible. But I'll probably never play the game anyways. I gots sonic.

Browny

Smash Hater
@ SL

lulz i can play like 50 minutes worth of keyboard songs with my eyes closed (obviously not perfectly :p ), i think my muscle memory is as good as its ever been and im hopelessly addicted to brawl :D

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Cant stick around, have to keep movin' on!

i used to think i was technical in melee but i was about right below the top level of tech skill. i played falco for a while and could do just about everything that he was capable of, although, at my peak, it was still somewhat sloppy.

how ever, my technical limits really didnt matter, since i mained ganon and all you have to do with him is put your fist, palm and toes in people's domes, and make them eat purple stuff. so as far as ganon goes, i could do everything he was capable of, and it could explain why melee seems so easy when I go back to it

im actually really good at game transitions tho...

There was a point where I would intentionally play SC3, MvC2, TK5, SSBM, and DOA3/4 in the same day, just to increase my abillity to transition betweeen them

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
i used to do that too. But at this point in my life, I play significantly less videogames than before, so it dont happen like that no more. I'm down to "casual gamer" now. But Brawl is my only true serious game. At least until SF4 comes out.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Did, just how many people do we really have reading the Sonic boards?

So far I've seen two people who don't post here, and one of them I've never seen until now. XD

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i cant get into any other game just because ive realised that brawl is the only game that doesnt devolve into,

dance and prance around your opponent stalling for openings until you can hit your one setup attack, (which is usually an under 10 frame attack btw) at which point they will take damage equal to 40-100% of their life.

that style of play is now lame and not worth doing in my eyes anymore, the only reason i still bother with melee and SC4 every once in awhile is because it looks sexy and can be flashy

@kinzer
i have seen you being rude to those kinds of people and you need to stop that.
but either way go back to the soonic board main screen, and look and the post count to page view ratio for each thread, its pretty funny sometimes.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Err, I'm not picking on them, but I'm just saying how surprised I am to see the kind of people we get up in here.

I'm not hurting anybody.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
@ SL

lulz i can play like 50 minutes worth of keyboard songs with my eyes closed (obviously not perfectly :p ), i think my muscle memory is as good as its ever been and im hopelessly addicted to brawl :D
I speak about melee specifically.
As for in general, I can still play every note to tail of phantasia on the trumpet without need of a metronome or music sheet.

Edit: OMFG THATS A ROACH! DIE DIE DIE!

infomon

Smash Scientist
Guess what lies ahead, only one way to find out

I played ICs in Melee, I used wavedashing and desyncs, it was good times. I didn't CG in Melee, I just smashed them a bunch during and out of grabs :)

Nevertheless I thought Melee was too technical. Exciting to watch, but too tedious to play; much more time spent developing muscle-memory rather than learning to read and respond to opponents in real matches.

I think Brawl is very technical, and has enough depth to be a lasting game, at least. It's not as stupid-technical as Melee, which I like, although some of the Melee tricks added more depth to the interactions of the game, which it's sad to lose. Oh well. I'm off topic anyway....

IC desyncs and chaingrabs are still ridiculously hard to do in Brawl. Err, let me clarify: they're hard to use well. Most ppl talk about Brawl IC CGs as like "oh, just memorize the chaingrabs". It's not that simple... there's a whole slew of 'em, some are better than others in different situations, most opponents don't know how to properly DI/SDI out of the ones which shouldn't work in practice but tend to anyway (which makes ppl think the CGs are easier than they actually are, in some sense), etc. I still see vids of great ICs messing up chaingrabs, which should tell us something.

Also, IC desyncs are still underappreciated in Brawl. Nana's AI is something that requires a lot of experience before you can fully exercise control. You really have to know how to use the parts of your dashes and pivots, make good use of slightly tilting the control stick in different directions in quick succession, etc.

Sonic's not nearly as technical as ICs, but I maintain that Sonic does have a reasonable amount of technical depth, IF you're willing to bother adding these tools to your moveset. They're not particularly game-breaking, but w/e. I think it's pretty freaking hard to SH FF B-reverse SDSC, but I brought that up somewhere else too... it's useless, but a hard tech nonetheless :) Sonic's more about having lots of options, some of which required a bit of tech (you could liken a B-reverse'd spinshot to a wavedash, I guess). But these techy things aren't used in quick succession anyway, so it's not too bad. Which is good :)

I usually spinshot or B-reverse SD when I attempt them, it's maybe 75/25 in each case. Which is bad; I just need to actually go practice them, I just haven't bothered since I don't use those abilities enough in real matches.

I was hoping this would be a Sonic sing a long thread.
It is....?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
So just Open your Heart, it's going to be alright...

Amirite?

But seriously, free yourself from the unbias, so that we may have fun as a community... who share the same interest (Sonic)

<3 (no homo)

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I was pretty garbage at Melee as far as tournament standards go. I really only started getting technical about a year and a half before Brawl came out. Still, when I started playing Brawl I immediately noticed a difference in how long it took me to learn to do something. Everything in Brawl is a lot easier to master and incorporate into your game, and I'm sure if I tried I could master a bunch of useless junk like the IC chain grab, Pikachu's QAC and stuff like that. But since I only play as Sonic I'm content with just trying to discover new things and work on improving his match-ups.

Top Bottom