• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

roll cancelled dash grabbing

Player-3

Smash Hero
original credit to http://smashboards.com/threads/roll-cancel-dash-grab-is-this-something-old.371744/#post-17728484

https://gfycat.com/CreativeBitesizedHen

essentially cancelling your roll into a dash grab

cannot be done without dashing first (so not a viable OoS option unless theres some interaction with strong shield knockbacks but havent tested that yet)

can also be done pivoting http://gfycat.com/HomelySevereBinturong

little macs isn't very different than his normal dash grabbing/pivot grabbing but it is definitely faster than pivot grabbing

the other (notable) characters i've tried are charizard and luigi, luigi's pivot is VERY useful as it stops his sliding completely and boosts him forward a little bit and charizards increases his grab range a pretty decent amount

as far as i know can be done with everyone including link, who gains nothing at all from this because his grab is the same no matter what lol

seems to be useless for many characters

id make more gifs of the luigi one but that **** is a pain in my ass so somebody more technically inclined can do it

reflex made a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWNDB6nUj4g (WATCH THIS BECAUSE IM REALLY BAD AT EXPLAINING IT LOL)

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Interesting. I wonder if this helps Robin's abysmal grab range?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Wario gets a decent boost from this. Not sure of any other characters, though.

F2P_KING

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2509-3516-9772
I can do it most of the time on little mac but when I play pac-man it feels like I'm not doing it at all. That might be because of his grab and his roll. Can someone test it out on pacman and see if they have better results?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If you don't see your shield come up, but you see the "spark" around your character from the beginning of the roll, and you still do a Dash Grab, you're doing it correctly.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Interesting. I wonder if this helps Robin's abysmal grab range?
My mistake; just tested it again and Robin gets a decent boost.

Speaking of which, the characters whose Roll-Cancel Grabs appear longer than their Dash Grabs are as follows:

Wario
Little Mac
Zelda
Wii Fit Trainer
Robin

Last edited:

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
That is too much handwork for me, it maybe useful but I won't be using it. I think smash is the only fighter I know that has so many control techniques and it discourages at times from even going competitive because of it.

Artero

Smash Enthousiast
NNID
Artero
Very interesting! Will be sure to try it out, thanks for the heads-up.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
That is too much handwork for me, it maybe useful but I won't be using it. I think smash is the only fighter I know that has so many control techniques and it discourages at times from even going competitive because of it.
It is literally just the same inputs for a Dash Grab at a specific timing, and it only matter for a handful of characters. If you don't want to go competitive because of something like this, you're probably too lazy to get good enough to compete even if you did learn it. :/

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
It is literally just the same inputs for a Dash Grab at a specific timing, and it only matter for a handful of characters. If you don't want to go competitive because of something like this, you're probably too lazy to get good enough to compete even if you did learn it. :/
Not lazy about anything, I've compete in project M and in Street Fighter and plenty of other games. Some of the inputs in smash ware down on the hands more than any other fighting game I play. I am not just talking about this new tech in this topic but Smash in general.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
This isn't Melee, though. Other than the wear-and-tear the 3DS itself does, it doesn't seem like there is much more than timing to work on so far.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I think we have two threads on this, now, but this one was more informative. Thanks for pointing this out to me!

I mostly use Ike & DK, so I don't know if this will be useful to me or not. It bears investigation!

KAB1

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand exactly how to do this. When I press forward + shield and then attack I just roll. Any advice?

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I don't understand exactly how to do this. When I press forward + shield and then attack I just roll. Any advice?
Keep in mind, when you do it, it may just seem like a regular dash grab, however, if you see a little spark from where your character started the dash grab, you did it right. It may be hard to see, so keep your eyes peeled. This technique seems ok.

Sadly it doesn't give any advantage to Greninja.

Last edited:

KAB1

Smash Apprentice
When I pivot it I can see the spark, but otherwise no luck. Oh well.

Edit: Wait I think I got it; nice!

Last edited:

Touchebag

Smash Cadet
roll into my rosalumas dash attack heheh
Speaking of Rosalina. If you do this with Luma attached the Luma will still do his part of the dash attack (3%) while Rosalina grabs. Basically a free pummel every time you grab.

Nasreth

Smash Cadet
Isn't that just a dash into shieldgrab? I've been doing this since I got the game because I'm too lazy to use my L trigger and I'd rather R trigger + attack to grab anyways. I didn't realzie it was giving me an advantage over L grabbing.

Last edited:

Touchebag

Smash Cadet
Isn't that just a dash into shieldgrab? I've been doing this since I got the game because I'm too lazy to use my L trigger and I'd rather R trigger + attack to grab anyways. I didn't realzie it was giving me an advantage over L grabbing.
Kind of. It's a dash attack into a shield grab. Gives it a little extra range and it counts as a standing grab so you do not suffer the lag of a dash grab if you miss.

EDIT: I really need to start testing things before posting stuff here.

Last edited:

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
A bit late to the conversation (given that I just registered... ^^"), but an alternative input that makes it easier to demonstrate is dash->R->L. Be sure that you treat /starting/ the dash as an input, as you're making use of the fact that the shield doesn't come out until /after/ the 'start dash' animation finishes. To me, it's a bit more reliable, since it can't whiff into a dash attack as easily, and I'm very much used to trigger-grabs (I use Z even for shield grabs-- er, L*). In the Wii U version, I'm sure a similar input of dash->L->Z will do, so it's not some 3ds-specific gimmick input, either.

Also, while testing this as Robin, I noticed that you can't seem to pass someone stationary whilst trying to use this to pivot-grab them... which might limit the usefulness of the pivot part for her... Additionally, I believe that the dash->R input followed by the dash attack is, itself, granted extra range-- which might make for a nice mixup. I'm curious as to what other attacks might be possible with this RCD (R-cancel-dash?), particularly with c-sticks... honestly, though, while I rather sucked with wavedashing, this feels pretty similar as a mobility tech in some ways (I mean, Luigi makes notable use of it, even...)

Oh, and hellu-- new to the forums. Long time fan, but never had much to say about Brawl, and got too little chance to play PM. ^^

Top Bottom