• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robo Burner: The Guide

SuperDoodleMan

Smash Ace
Rob's up B special is so cool, and there's so much to know, I simply had to put it all in one place.

Here's a brief showing of what the Robo Burner can do in battle.

I. Basic Movement

Upon first pressing up B, ROB gains a small amount of thrust automatically, then you are put in control. Press either up or B (or both, heck) to continue thrusting, though the initial burst gets you more height, AND overrides falling momentum. You can start or stop thrusting anytime repeatedly while the Burner is active, allowing you to control your verticality with ease, if not exactly speed. Horizontal control is also less responsive, but the top speed is faster than running.

II. Aerials

Aside from having tremendous overall distance, you can perform aerials during the Robo Burner, even while moving up. You can't fastfall while the Burner by itself is active, but you can if you start an aerial. I'll repeat that, because it's one of the coolest things in the world. If you do an aerial during the Robo Burner, you can fastfall OR gain upward momentum, for the duration of that aerial. Sadly, if you fastfall, you can't thrust afterward without starting the Burner again.

Furthermore, you can use Z on the gamecube controller to do those aerials. While the Burner is active, you can't air dodge or throw an item if you're holding one, but that means you can attack while holding that throwing item (most likely a Gyro).

III. Maximum Thrust

Since the initial thrust is the best part, you can gain even more distance by doing a f-air (ROB's shortest aerial) ASAP and then up B'ing again. With a full tank, ROB can do TEN Burning f-airs. He can go from the bottom to the top of the biggest creatable stage, and about twice as far horizontally. It's very hard to do without accidentally wasting fuel, but it shows he's got more than enough recovery available, if you don't use too much fuel for attacking.

While not quite as efficient, tapping B rapidly gets almost as much vertical distance, and is much much easier. Holding B or up wastes fuel, so avoid that if you can help it.

The Robo Burner has about (probably exactly) two seconds of use in it. Recharge it by standing on anything, a full recharge takes about a second and a half.

IV. Other neat things

1) You can turn around with it, and it won't affect your horizontal momentum beyond having to angle the control stick behind you (setting the C-stick to specials might avoid even that much). Works even with no fuel.

2) Robo Burner doesn't consume your second jump. You may accidentally use it in pushing up, but that's your problem. You can turn off tap jump or set the C-stick to special to avoid this entirely.

3) You can grab edges from both sides, moving up or down, unless you're doing an aerial. You can hold down on the stick (plus special, to keep rising) to continue past the edge without doing an aerial. Or, conversely, if your second jump would take you past an edge and you'd rather grab onto it, you can use the Burner and grab it on the way up, even if you have no fuel.

4) When the Burner is active, you bounce off walls.

V. Wavebouncing

ROB is normally very slow to change direction in the air, but with a wavebouncing Robo Burner, he can achieve top speed in the opposite direction almost immediately, facing either direction! Directions given are assuming first moving left, then moving right.

The easiest is forward to forward. Just up B either straight up or left, then tap right quickly (and hold it to keep moving that way).

Next easiest is backward to backward. Up B straight up or right, then tap left, but don't hold it, unless you WANT to slow down. Best to change directions and hold right.

Notably harder is backward to forward. You must up B to the left, which turns you around, then tap right which turns you around again.

For forward to backward, which allows something vaguely resembling a wall of pain, you first up B to the right, then tap the control stick to the left, and ideally resume holding right very quickly.

Any suggestions? If someone wants to organize this better, feel free, I know it looks a little shoddy. The info is the important thing.

joenopride

Smash Journeyman
Thats everything I've noticed and more. I've been wondering if the bouncing feature could be utilized somehow, but I haven't found anything useful yet.

I'm really looking forward to your video SDM!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
One thing you should add because I don't think people are completely clear on this: when ROB does an aerial during his up-B, it completely cancels it (assuming you aren't holding up or B down) and brings him back to neutral, at which point he can do anything, air dodge, B move, 2nd jump if he hasn't using it, etc.

SuperDoodleMan

Smash Ace
I've changed my mind, the video will just be showing clips from fights about the stuff which will be explained fully here.

aka bump

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Wow, never really realized that you can attack while holding a gyro if you're Robo Burning. Nice info.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
I mean... nice vid.. but i was disapointed at the lack of Hover'd Dair KO's, and Hovered Fair KOs...

other than that you know your vids are pure sex mr doodle man.

Sarijy

Smash Apprentice
I really love the back airs and how you changed directions on norfair taunting that charizard I think it was. I have to learn to do that.
Overall GREAT video, game me a few ideas.

soloSHADOWROB

Smash Journeyman
Im still not sure how to turn around while still having my forward momentum.
Please help SDM!!!!!! lol

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Not sure if you guys know this but I'v made rob my second so i might be here from time to time anyway, you know you cant do a dair when you are holding the giro right. you can if you hit z (drop item) then dair you will drop the giro then catch it and do a dair at the same time. Also you can catch people in a up tilt and so that they have to smash di out of it and force there way through to get out.

Top Bottom