• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robin Patch Data Compilation - 1.0.6/1.0.8 Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
When I see Robin players opt for Thoron instead of Arc Thunder (unless they're going for a kill), I assume they don't really know what they're doing with the character.

Happy with wind-jab now though. Robin's rapid-jab was always one of the easiest to DI out of.
Arcthunder is super easy to avoid, Thoron isn't. That's why I used Thoron more. I guess I'll have to train myself to switch to Arcthunder.

Thoron will always have its uses for blasting a roller or an attempted punisher to kingdom come, but Arcthunder always won out on pure KO ability. It just feels a bit more pronounced now since Thoron took a slight hit in knockback.
Wait, so where is the proof that Thoron was nerfed? If Arcthunder KO'd before Thoron before the patch as well, then that video that was posted doesn't actually prove anything. I'd like to see some more evidence that Thoron's knockback was nerfed.

Last edited:

theyellowflash26

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theyellowflash26
3DS FC
3153-5006-0716
Wait, so where is the proof that Thoron was nerfed? If Arcthunder KO'd before Thoron before the patch as well, then that video that was posted doesn't actually prove anything. I'd like to see some more evidence that Thoron's knockback was nerfed.
I was testing last night. And it does seem nerfed. I had my friend who didn't update yet help me out. We tested on Sonic on omega BF from the starter positions. On the older patch Thoron killed at around 140, in the newer patch it kills around 150...On Sonic at least. So I'm not gonna 100% say its true, but it seems to be. I can test more later.

Last edited:

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Interesting. That's done in training mode in both systems, just to be sure? I'm guessing so, but wanting to rule out Rage as a factor before accepting "yup, Thoron got nerfed."

theyellowflash26

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theyellowflash26
3DS FC
3153-5006-0716
Interesting. That's done in training mode in both systems, just to be sure? I'm guessing so, but wanting to rule out Rage as a factor before accepting "yup, Thoron got nerfed."
Yup in training. What we did was, we set the damage % to 100 and kept upping it until thoron killed.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Good to know. Seems like they're trying to reinforce the roles each projectile has; Thunder for super-easy damage racking, Elthunder for doing more damage if you have a spare second to set it up, Arcthunder for combos and KOs, Thoron for blasting through an opponent's own projectiles and catching rolls. Not too happy with the Thoron nerf since the move is already so hard to charge up against competent opponents, but... oh well. Thank you for testing it, YellowFlash.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
Okay, I'm calling B.S. on the wind jab being harder to DI out of. Level 9 CPUs were able to DI out almost every single time I used it.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Okay, I'm calling B.S. on the wind jab being harder to DI out of. Level 9 CPUs were able to DI out almost every single time I used it.
Level 9 CPUs have ungodly reaction times. We can't plausibly expect human opponents to react that perfectly any more than we can expect them to land countering moves on reaction the way computers do.

Last edited:

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
Well I would like to test it out online, but I can't get online because of a glitch involving Mewtwo in 10-Man Smash. Thanks Sakurai, you spend half a year on this patch and you don't even bug check it properly.

Last edited:

Infernox

Smash Rookie
I was testing last night. And it does seem nerfed. I had my friend who didn't update yet help me out. We tested on Sonic on omega BF from the starter positions. On the older patch Thoron killed at around 140, in the newer patch it kills around 150...On Sonic at least. So I'm not gonna 100% say its true, but it seems to be. I can test more later.
I just tested this using the same set-up and there was no discernible difference in knockback. It would kill at 133% at the lowest on both versions (using the extended Thoron). Interestingly enough, the pre-patch version did not kill consistently, but it would deal an extra 3% damage to Sonic.

Kodachi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GhOsT-KoDa
you sure robins air speed is the same raiziek? seem faster but could be patchebo for sure

Malechite

Smash Rookie
Sigh. I was hoping for more. I just wish Robin had slightly faster running speed and a faster down smash, and maybe a little less lag after nosferatu... He wouldn't be significantly better, but it'd still be something.

hdltq

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hazac92
3DS FC
2466-2844-9815
Welp the wind jab is helping me a LOT. And the Arcthunder thing is seriously buffed. Just killed a lucina on for glory with only 72%. Nice!
I also think that his Levin Sword now regenerates faster than before. Could someone check, please? It may just be me...

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Levin Sword regeneration is still 8 seconds. And I think Arcthunder is the same, damage/knockback-wise.

theyellowflash26

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theyellowflash26
3DS FC
3153-5006-0716
I just tested this using the same set-up and there was no discernible difference in knockback. It would kill at 133% at the lowest on both versions (using the extended Thoron). Interestingly enough, the pre-patch version did not kill consistently, but it would deal an extra 3% damage to Sonic.
Hm. Do stale moves exist in training? Because I'm trying it again and I've only gotten it to KO at 133 once. Otherwise its not ko'ing for me. ??

Also yeah we noticed that it would do the 18% to Sonic in the old version. I thought it was a damage nerf until I realized that damage just varies for certain characters.

Last edited:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Oooo, I'm pretty excited about the platform-book buff. Item play is always super fun.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Welp the wind jab is helping me a LOT. And the Arcthunder thing is seriously buffed. Just killed a lucina on for glory with only 72%. Nice!
I also think that his Levin Sword now regenerates faster than before. Could someone check, please? It may just be me...
Already has been checked. (Levin Sword) Same as always. If they changed it they'd also have to change the in-game tooltip, which also still says 8.
you sure robins air speed is the same raiziek? seem faster but could be patchebo for sure
Yes. 100%.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
I've found a video with the last patch and Arcthunder killed Wii Fit Trainer at 140~170%, so it was certainly buffed with this new patch. (Skip to minute 2:33)
https://youtu.be/qwDLkKGcjec
...It still kills at ~140-170. The earliest it kills on that stage in default position with WFT in the new patch is 135. So if it's buffed, it's very small.

Tyrin0561

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tyrinus
Maybe people think Levin Sword cooldown has been altered because; they possibly altered how much using smashes with Bronze Sword reduces the cooldown?

Just a quick thought/comment.

Cactusblah

Smash Apprentice
Several characters are still escaping my wind jab pretty easily. The last hit won't connect.

theyellowflash26

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theyellowflash26
3DS FC
3153-5006-0716
I noticed this too^. Also for me it seems like the books disappearing on platforms is still happening. Cuz I grabbed a book off of the Halberd platform and it disappeared and I grabbed one off the BF platform and it disappeared. I know I grabbed it cuz I heard the sound. I don't get it.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Yeah, I noticed the same thing, but I swear I grabbed one successfully on BF.

Maybe they changed the eject height? I'll re-test later.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
I got more than 1 good wind jab catch at the Tournament on Saturday. I only really missed the last slash if I held them too long and they were just juggled out. Wind Jab still slowly tosses the target out, just not as quickly as it did before. I also did get a few good hits with that last slash as well.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Let's try to keep a calm head guys. Lots of "changes" being thrown around, but a decent amount of those changes are off base (like arcthunder's supposed buff)

The placebo effect is a very real thing, so let's stick to facts (ie anything that has been soft confirmed, like the Wind Jab change)

Last edited:

IsGamer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IsGamer
3DS FC
0490-6907-6386
Let's try to keep a calm head guys. Lots of "changes" being thrown around, but none of them are valid.

The placebo effect is a very real thing, so let's stick to facts (ie anything that has been soft confirmed, ie the Wind Jab change)
I can confirm Arcfire is harder to DI out of, I think I tried enough to confirm it, most of my buddies kinda know how to DI and they struggle to exit out of it more than before.

Thoron did got a small knockback nerf, not 100% noticeable, but it's there.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I really don't think Thoron actually got nerfed. It's been killing at pretty much the same %s as always in practice.

If it did get nerfed, it's so minuscule a nerf that it literally doesn't matter.

Illya-tan

Smash Rookie
i don t know why but i feel nosferatu to lock a lot more than pre patch tested with players and godly lvl 9 computers and they struggle a lot more to get off of it.

not 100% still but seem like it.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
I've noticed something similar regarding Nosferatu, but figured I've just been running into opponents who don't know how to mash out of it. Not something I consider confirmed yet, but it is interesting.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
As for the book-vanishing bit, if the book lands on a platform at the apex of its discard toss, it will disappear even if you pick it up.

You'll be able to tell if the book will do this if you see whether or not it bounces on the platform like it would if it hit the ground. If it doesn't, no book for you.

Can also support the theory that Nos locks on for far longer, especially at high percent.

Last edited:

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Found out that the fire jab nerf is worse than it initially seems. I've had Dr. Mario fall out of it at 110%. That's kind of silly.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Found out that the fire jab nerf is worse than it initially seems. I've had Dr. Mario fall out of it at 110%. That's kind of silly.
I've had several characters use an aerial on me in between jab2 and fire jab.. It is really painful that fire just is so much more unreliable that it used to be.

Tectrix

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tectrix
I've had several characters use an aerial on me in between jab2 and fire jab.. It is really painful that fire just is so much more unreliable that it used to be.
Same, I've basically had to switch to using wind jab entirely, which isn't that bad I suppose since its actually pretty good now, but it is easier to punish. I'd just like to have both jabs be useful, otherwise it kinda defeats the purpose of having two unique jabs. They have tweaked Robin's jab in every single balance patch though, so hopefully they'll fix it with the Lucas patch.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Wind Jab is not universally good. A lot of characters can DI out of even a minimum duration Wind Jab. It's character specific, it's a huge problem, and it needs to be fix in the next patch.

Tectrix

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tectrix
Wind Jab is not universally good. A lot of characters can DI out of even a minimum duration Wind Jab. It's character specific, it's a huge problem, and it needs to be fix in the next patch.
Yeah, but that's true for most multi hit jabs, I honestly think its pretty reliable as far as they go, and I don't think any character can DI out of and punish a direct hit. Still, there are characters who can DI out pretty quick and so it would definitely be preferable to use the fire jab if it didn't suck in 1.0.6.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Most multi-hit jabs don't bring you closer to death for using them. Robin's does. I would want to want to see Wind Jab be tightened up far, FAR more than this.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Most multi-hit jabs don't bring you closer to death for using them. Robin's does. I would want to want to see Wind Jab be tightened up far, FAR more than this.
Honestly, I'd be ok with how wind jab is now. A lot of multihit jabs can be DIed out of, and with the changes they made, it's difficult for many characters to DI out of the wind jab AND punish Robin afterwards.

The problem is that they completely ruined the reliability of the fire jab to make the wind jab slightly more reliable. So now rather than having a fire jab that is extremely reliable and a wind jab that is completely unreliable against 95% of the cast, he now has a fire jab that can be avoided and possibly punished by about 95% of the cast(through different means) and a wind jab that only works decently against about 60% of the cast.

I really really really want them to make the fire jab more consistent again. Jab1 is one of Robin's fastest normale moves, so it's one of his best defensive options against an enemy that's trying to get in on you. Having the fire jab become less reliable hurts him in more ways than one, I feel.

Last edited:

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Well, in a few days we will see if they fixed it. If not... I guess we start writing to Nintendo and letting them know they screwed up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom