• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robin Patch Data Compilation - 1.0.6/1.0.8 Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
So, how much does this improve Robin?
Know how hard it is to get an Arcfire or Arcthunder to land on someone playing hard to get when in KO range? Know the pain of them dodging your aerials and Fsmash at the last possible second because they came out too late?

Now we have a Frame 4, disjointed move that leads into a reliable multi-Jab, the strongest in the game, for the KO. This is fantastic.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Probably makes up for the end lag of the attack, it's almost humiliating.

SuperDavio

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDavio
3DS FC
1633-4266-1971
It seems to me that the knockback on the second part of the jab combo has been reduced. This is what leads to what we have with wind being buffed and fire being... frankly, nerfed. On a Fox, I cannot connect with the fire jab combo at early percents. He simply hits the ground and shields the fire. This may be due to his weight, but I never remember this issue before.

IsGamer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IsGamer
3DS FC
0490-6907-6386
It seems to me that the knockback on the second part of the jab combo has been reduced. This is what leads to what we have with wind being buffed and fire being... frankly, nerfed. On a Fox, I cannot connect with the fire jab combo at early percents. He simply hits the ground and shields the fire. This may be due to his weight, but I never remember this issue before.
This encourages peope to spam the wind jab more, besides, you MUST save that fire for another beautiful arcfire anyways.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I noticed exactly the same thing, actually, but I thought it might have been placebo.

If we both noticed it independently, then I think it's probably true.

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
Seems like back throw is nerfed from 12% to 11%. (?? Dunno why the 1% nerf)
and Levin Sword now takes 8s to respawn.

Seems to be the only nerfs for now. we actually got nerfs, dammit.

Last edited:

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
B-throw typically does 11% anyway. If you were getting 12% off it, that must have been... there's a 'fresh move bonus' in this game, right? First time you do a move in a match, slight damage increase? Or is that untrue?

In any case, if b-throw is doing 11% that's neither buff nor nerf.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Last edited:

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
So what's the score looking like right now? Am I right in thinking it's...

Speculative List, not being presented as full fact

Nerfs

Fire Jab less likely to connect at lower percents due to changes to Jab 2's knockback.

Can no longer f-tilt while holding a discarded tome/sword due to universal engine changes regarding items and tilts

Buffs

Wind Jab now more likely to fully connect at most percents due to changes to Jab 2's knockback and Wind Jab's speed/knockback.

Levin Sword flashing indicator errors fixed to now display properly on female-Robin.

Tomes easier to catch on platforms (such as Battlefield) as they no longer disappear instantly on contact with said.

EDITED: F-Tilt hitbox more consistent, but can still 'deadzone' in some cases?

EDITED 2, Speculative: Others below are reporting Arcfire's harder to DI out of?

And everything else is unchanged?

Last edited:

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
That looks about right to me. I couldn't find anything else.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
I'm... actually okay with that. Annoyed that the fire jab nerf happened for no good reason, but I can live with it in light of them making a hitbox less error-prone and giving us a way to burn those excess Elwind charges in a productive way. Warning lights now working properly and books being easier to grab on one of our favorite stages.

That's honestly enough to make me satisfied with Robin. Sure, there are two buffs I'd like (Thunder and variants doing more damage, slightly less end-lag on Arcfire)... but I'm at a point where I'm happy with the character. Especially since some of her worst matchups are now tolerable due to them getting nerfs.

"Hey, your character is better now" is a fun thing to wake up to.

IsGamer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IsGamer
3DS FC
0490-6907-6386
I'm... actually okay with that. Annoyed that the fire jab nerf happened for no good reason, but I can live with it in light of them making a hitbox less error-prone and giving us a way to burn those excess Elwind charges in a productive way. Warning lights now working properly and books being easier to grab on one of our favorite stages.

That's honestly enough to make me satisfied with Robin. Sure, there are two buffs I'd like (Thunder and variants doing more damage, slightly less end-lag on Arcfire)... but I'm at a point where I'm happy with the character. Especially since some of her worst matchups are now tolerable due to them getting nerfs.

"Hey, your character is better now" is a fun thing to wake up to.
Arcfire is also less DI-able, just tested it out on some buddies and they found it fairly harder to escape from it.

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
Customs for thunder, arcfire, and nosferatu seems all the same although admittedly I don't remember the range of the windbox of goetia. Haven't tested elwind variants.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Someone in the general patch thread is claiming b-throw's knockback/kill percentage is vastly worse now. I can't test, not at my Wii U right now.

Mind you, they're blowing the claimed nerf way out of proportion. They're saying stuff like how b-throw used to kill Zelda at 90% with very low Rage and now it's 157+? Something tells me this can't be right, I've never seen b-throw kill at 90% unless the opponent helped me with their DI.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Someone in the general patch thread is claiming b-throw's knockback/kill percentage is vastly worse now. I can't test, not at my Wii U right now.

Mind you, they're blowing the claimed nerf way out of proportion. They're saying stuff like how b-throw used to kill Zelda at 90% with very low Rage and now it's 157+? Something tells me this can't be right, I've never seen b-throw kill at 90% unless the opponent helped me with their DI.
I haven't tested the current bthrow enough but as I said in that thread, bthrow was never that good. So you're right in that regard.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Bthrow seems the same on my old 3DS version vs the current version.

Interesting thing with the Arcfire though. I hope it's actually true. Though these things usually are not. My friend was playing Mewtwo and it looked like he was actually escaping Arcfire more easily than usual (due to character properties, of course).

IsGamer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IsGamer
3DS FC
0490-6907-6386
Bthrow seems the same on my old 3DS version vs the current version.

Interesting thing with the Arcfire though. I hope it's actually true. Though these things usually are not. My friend was playing Mewtwo and it looked like he was actually escaping Arcfire more easily than usual (due to character properties, of course).
Yeah... Mewtwo's character properties are so odd that he can escape certain moves if done correctly, it's kinda silly XD.

Blakexd9

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blakexd9
3DS FC
3566-1543-3794
Unfortunately it does look like the Arcfire jab can be shielded, dunno what the deal is. I was having Fox jab me out of it then Falcon was able to shield, don't know if the characters matter for this one

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Unfortunately it does look like the Arcfire jab can be shielded, dunno what the deal is. I was having Fox jab me out of it then Falcon was able to shield, don't know if the characters matter for this one
At what percent? If what we're saying about fire jab at low percent is true than hopefully it's still usable at midpercents.

Blakexd9

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blakexd9
3DS FC
3566-1543-3794
At what percent? If what we're saying about fire jab at low percent is true than hopefully it's still usable at midpercents.
I couldn't tell you what percent it was at, but I'm going to guess that it was low. It needs to be tested

Last edited:

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Is it just me, or can people still slip out of wind jab fairly often? Nowhere near as easily as before, but it does seem to be an issue nonetheless.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Yeah, Mewtwo at least seems to be able to escape the final cut relatively consistently at lower percents.

IsGamer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IsGamer
3DS FC
0490-6907-6386
People should take in count Mewtwo's physics, it allows him to escape quite a lot of situations with a good DI, so it's kinda normal that he does that with his jab and arcfire. I tried it out and I can escape most jabs if done right.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Earlier today I killed a few people on the edge with Arc thunder. I was kind of shocked, but I just assumed that they had bad DI.
I imagine that your opponents were... shall we say, even more shocked.

...Get it? Because you hit them with Arcthunder?

...I'm sorry.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
On a more practical note, I did get to land a wind jab on a 0% damage Fox earlier. He does stay in it, but can wriggle out fairly easily; don't get too greedy on the damage you rack up this way. Expect 14-20% to be the norm, tending toward 16% when your opponent doesn't have much damage on them yet. Not a hard and fast rule, but it's worth bearing in mind this isn't a miracle-move now.

IsGamer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IsGamer
3DS FC
0490-6907-6386
Well yeah a jab is a jab, but compared to before, this wind jab at least allows the last hit (which has good kill potential), unlike before where you whiff the final hit 90% of the times.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
So let me get this straight: Wind jab is now better than Fire jab, and Arcthunder is now better than Thoron?

Jeez, that's gonna take some getting used to.

IsGamer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IsGamer
3DS FC
0490-6907-6386
So let me get this straight: Wind jab is now better than Fire jab, and Arcthunder is now better than Thoron?

It's honestly not hard to do if you use Arcthunder much more than Thoron (and you honestly should), although the wind jab is going to be a bit tricky to get used to, but it's going to be worth.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
It should be noted the Wind Jab's reliability varies by character. Marth escapes it very easily at many percentages, for example. This bears further testing, since I was able to keep a Sheik in it pretty well and scored multiple KOs this way.

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122

When I see Robin players opt for Thoron instead of Arc Thunder (unless they're going for a kill), I assume they don't really know what they're doing with the character.

Happy with wind-jab now though. Robin's rapid-jab was always one of the easiest to DI out of.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
At the risk of wandering off-topic for a patch thread... I would note there are legitimate reasons to go for Thoron. It makes matchups like Samus, Mario, Pikachu, and so on much more tolerable because you can now threaten to 'super through' their projectiles with a much bigger one. All four versions of Thunder are worth using.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Arcthunder has always killed a bit before Thoron, this isn't new. It's also still much harder to land.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Thoron will always have its uses for blasting a roller or an attempted punisher to kingdom come, but Arcthunder always won out on pure KO ability. It just feels a bit more pronounced now since Thoron took a slight hit in knockback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom