• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB OFFICIAL MATCHUP DISCUSSION: Samus

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Either be close to Samus or far away from her. Don't be in her Zair range.

I'll add more in a bit, I have to go to drumline practice.

Mag!c

Smash Apprentice
As someone who plays Samus a bit, I might actually be able to contribute!

Samus' Z-Air is a huge pain in the butt. It's long, it's nasty, and it can make approaching a bit of a pain. The missiles are fairly good, and the Charge Shot is nasty when charged all the way up. The main thing is that ROB should live forever in this matchup, unless you walk into a D-Air while offstage, and even then you have decent chances for a recovery until you get above a certain percentage. Something to take advantage of is that Samus has a very low falling speed and doesn't have any great answers when you're below her. Knocking her into the air and using U-Airs can get some nice damage going, and KOing should be much easier on our end, with F-Smash, N-Air, B-Air, and U-Throw. Edgeguarding Samus is around medium difficulty, but if you stay on the stage and use the laser/gyro to force her back/lower, and then drop down for the kill, it shouldn't be too difficult. Just watch out for the aformentioned D-Air- survivability plays a big part in this matchup. I would place this matchup at 60-40, ROB, due to the difficulty involved in KOing ROB.

I am not sure about reach and priority, but I am pretty sure they are in ROB's favor.

If this post information proves to be false, please don't hurt me.

Azuzu

Smash Cadet
I should be able to get a bunch of games in with Hive this weekend to add more later. The matchup takes some getting used to, as I've only played against samus a few times but zair is like the perfect anti rob move. I get hit by it sooo many times every match it gets a bit ridiculous. Her dtilt can actually kill you pretty early if you let her mindgame you into it, which isn't always as hard as you'd like because how incredibly hard it is to get passed zair/homing spam.

Also, watch out for her "planking" game. She can shoot her zair through many stages at your feet that will catch you off guard.

This is probably robs favor, but matchup experience is necessary as doing the same tilt/camp routine has some major complications.

buenob

Smash Lord
dsmash invincibility?? am i missing something?
--
anyways, samus is a bag-o-tricks for sure... spacing with zairs, and as soon as you think you're through them, BAM angled up forward smash for the KO... the first time I played against a good samus i got wrecked, second game I won by a coin flip (thankfully) and then then game 3 i won fairly handily... as with any character that actually out-ranges rob, we can't just sit where we feel comfortable, we have to specifically get into our opponents weak-spot, which isn't necessarily where we do the best

another thing I find is that if you play too defensively, samus can approach with her dair which auto cancels, and leads into much shennanigans...

samus is a character that is just kind of hard to approach (much like rob) so like us, can greatly abuse a %/stock lead....

other than those two moves, she's a projectile game, which rob can completely counter with the top, so i guess just don't stand in tipper zair range (she has options and we don't) and don't stand directly underneath her doing nothing (lolz, but it happens if you're being pressured) and that pretty much eliminates the tricks... once those are gone, rob as a character just has more and better options in any situation, so it isnt that difficult to get an advantage and keep it for the entire match...

oh, and people were saying that we should be able to ko her pretty easily... i find that not to be the case... she's heavy! man... easily lives up to 200% if she DI's properly and avoids the fsmash... because she's a character that generally recovers higher (floaty) landing edge-guarding nair/bairs is difficult... and that pesky dair makes it very risky to actually approach her off the edge, combined with the tether recovery and crazy fast up-b she's got enough options to hit the ledge easily... though i find once she's there, she doesn't have much

Top Bottom