• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roadtrip: US (anyone ever done it?)

B0r3d*m Alien

BRoomer
BRoomer
Trying to contact my alien associates so they can
Hey I'm trying to plan a roadtrip for this Summer.
I'm not sure how to start...so I figured that out of thousands of people here, one or two may have done a road trip in the US.

Here's what I know:

I'm starting from Connecticut
I'd like to see New Orleans, the Grand Canyon, and Texas
The destination is California then back to Connecticut

Things I'd like to figure out:
Minimizing the price-->
Gas Prices
Shelter (willing to sleep in the van, just don't know if it's safe)
Food

If you have any information and advice please post
kthxbai

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Hey, BA! MAke sure you check the topic in the BRoom about Baha. It relates to roadtripping.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
The hugest roadtrip I ever took was from Louisiana to California via eighteen-wheeler. Cool trip to say the least.

By the way, those locations are very far from one another. You better have ALOT of cash to blow if you want to take that trip. Keep in mind you need food, shelter, gas, time-passers (if you are traveling with friends prepare to talk about total crap), etc.

What's your budget? I will see if I can work out a solution.

B0r3d*m Alien

BRoomer
BRoomer
well see I know nothing about it than what I mentioned in the first post.

The destination is subject to change.

Oh yeah, currently there are 4 people (including me) that will be on this roadtrip.

The point was to see more of the US because my friend and I were tired of the assumptions "Northeasters" made about the west without having actually been there.

I think the grandcanyon can be the last stop if necessary, though my dream would be California. But I don't care.

So keep in mind the cost would split 4 ways.

A few questions to you kenny,
Did you just sleep in a motel or something?
Did you bring any food/snacks along?
About how much would you say you spent on gas..wait nvm 18 wheeler O_O

For the trip I'm thinking we'd go to the destination one route and take another route home.

I'd say what my budget would be but I really don't know what we're looking at and how many days. Perhaps under 800 dollars? You think that'll get me to the Grand Canyon?

I'm really a noob when it comes to this -_-

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
My friends and I did a trip like that. We left from around San Fransisco, CA and drove all the way to Orlando, Florida and back. On the way back, we made some special stops in Arkansas and Oklahoma. I'll never forget the trip back from Tulsa, OK to Bakersfield, CA - that was a long drive. Did it in one day, too :)

Driving on I-10 at about 80-85, we covered the distance in three days, so figure about 1,000 miles per day without stopping. Subtract time where you have planned stops (like the Grand Canyon). That'll give you an estimate as to how many days you're going to need. Make sure to have your itinerary ready beforehand so you can make time for everything you want to do.

To estimate gas, just check the estimated total miles at two or three map sites (like msn.com, mapquest.com, maps.com, etc) from your house to your final location and back (make sure to include any different routes taken on the way back), average them, divide by the estimated mileage your car gets at high speeds, then multiply by current gas prices per gallon. Generally speaking, gas gets cheaper the closer you get to the center of the US, but it's better to calculate high and end up paying low than it is to calculate low and end up paying high. So figure it based on $2.80 or something. After that, divide that amount by the total passengers. When you're actually doing the driving, it's easier to just have one person pay at one pump, another pay at the next pump, etc.

You can sleep in the van, but I wouldn't recommend doing it on the side of the road. I'd suggest KOA campgrounds. They're cheap and all over the US. Check out their website for locations.

We brought lots of non-perishable snacks like chips, cookies, etc. But that's not very healthy. I might suggest bringing an ice chest and buying ice each morning along with perishables for that day. Don't know how much room you have in your car though.

Peeze

Smash Master
The hugest roadtrip I ever took was from Louisiana to California via eighteen-wheeler.
Truckers think I'm cute too.

The longest roadtrip I've ever made was from Fl to Ny on New Years eve, in a van. We filled up twice(or three times i think), about 40 bucks each time, so depending on the type of Van, you'l l probly fill up eight or nine times each way, so plan to take like $250 for gas, although gas in Cali and Nevada is more expensive, than in NO or something else..

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Truckers think I'm cute too.

The longest roadtrip I've ever made was from Fl to Ny on New Years eve, in a van. We filled up twice(or three times i think), about 40 bucks each time, so depending on the type of Van, you'l l probly fill up eight or nine times each way, so plan to take like $250 for gas, although gas in Cali and Nevada is more expensive, than in NO or something else..
Really? That's disturbing.

@B0r3d*m Alien: There were 7 people (2 Rooms). I would say about $60 a room per night...

It really is worth your time to call ahead and book a room. This way you know you have a place to stay and you know how much money you need.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
My friends and I drove from where I am now, to San Diego last summer. It's only six hours. We ended up all hating each other for pretty much three weeks after that trip.

Make sure you're all VERY good friends. If two of you even just 'kind of' get along, things'll get really annoying, really fast.

EEvisu

Smash Lord
I walked from NY to NJ once, twas an Epic trip I tell you!

Good Luck w/ ur's >.>

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
You're coming to California, eh? Well, you owe it to yourself to at least check out the Casto District San Francisco.

Here's a good tip for road trips. Eat the best food you can. I know it's expensive, but saving away dimes and pennies is a burden. Go all out. You may want to bring some Pepto Bismol if you decide to do this. ;)

I'm planning on going on a road trip with some friends around Easter Break. It's the annual Mexico Missions trip and we're, all to cheap to buy plane tickets. Sweet.

B0r3d*m Alien

BRoomer
BRoomer
Update!! (that was quick o_o)

I'm thinking going from CT to NO to the Grand Canyon.

Mapquest estimates about 22 hrs from CT to NO (1419.41)
and about 24 hours from NO to Grand Canyon (1576.22).

Then straight back would be Grand Canyon to CT would be 38 hours (2995.63 miles).

So 84 hours on the road (5516.85 miles)

I'm thinking of renting a homie van/mystery machine van which I'm guessing gets about 23 miles to the gallon. So after some calculations I get 167.90 dollars for gas for each person.

So that's that for gas.

For shelter I've searched for hostels and they're not too expensive. They range from 16 to 25 dollars, in my opinion that's not too bad compared to the hostels from my other travels.
What bothers me is whether I'll arrive at the hostel early or late. I guess I need to make a day to day plan like advised by someone before.
I did a few more calculations and if everything were perfect I'd spend around 300 dollars (rounded up). So the total now is 468.

And food...I don't know. I don't know how long I can keep food in a cooler before I decide to actually buy food. Food has always been a problem on my trips or at least the most expensive thing. I always try to keep the price down by buying my own food and cooking it...just don't know how long it'd last.

468 + food (?) + amount for car rental + misc. = roadtrip price

I was told that to rent a car I have to be 25+ for most places.

I'm not sure what website I can search to get more information.
Anyone?

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
In CA, you have to be 25 to rent a car, and even then, you can't take it out of state. Er, I don't know how it works in other states, or if that's even true anymore, as that was a few years back.

Or maybe you can't take minors out of state unless you're 25. I don't know. Call up Enterprise or something. I think Toyota also rents out cars (in which case you'll get something that has great mileage).

Top Bottom