• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice
Ever considered joining the Fire Nation to be used while we wage war with (wwwww) the Air Armada?
I was born outside the kindom. My parents both have the ability to control smoke. I assumed I wasn't allowed in the Fire Nation by the Council or my family. But since you're offering...

EDIT: So I was just working out at the gym (Forsburn is my coach and he's really nice. I really don't think it was him who murdered the king. Chances are it's the council.) and doing some serious weightlifting. Zetterburn, you know how hungry one can get after excersizing and I was starving. When I got home the power was out! That meant no stove to cook dinner. I was being a jerk and whining to my parents. They got some wood and made a fire to cook some food, but just then the police came in and arrested my parents for using fire! They have to spend 5 years in jail and it's all thanks to my big mouth. I need to join the force and train so maybe then we can work together to set things right in both of our nations. Successful or not, I'd still like to help the Firelands gain Aetherian dominance and help the Council become uncorrupted. Please let me know if I can train with you guys as soon as possible. Thanks.

Yo, Dan! I think this sounds like a good storyline. Zetterburn, an amazing warrior of the Firelands training a kid who has smoke powers. I understand if you already have a storyline and don't want to change, but a man can dream.

Last edited:

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice
Firelands*
Okay. I have proof that it is also called the Fire Nation. Go to the secret character page and in the first paragraph near the bottom, the Firelands are referenced as the Fire Nation. Also, I believe the elements are from Avatar, which does have a Fire Nation.

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
Okay. I have proof that it is also called the Fire Nation. Go to the secret character page and in the first paragraph near the bottom, the Firelands are referenced as the Fire Nation. Also, I believe the elements are from Avatar, which does have a Fire Nation.
I asked Dan in this very thread. It is a typo on the character pages. It's the firelands with fire Capitol as its Capitol city.

Edit: here is the quote:
The Capitol is the center of the Firelands. Fire Nation is uhhhhhhhh..... a typo? :D

Also check out the latest Mind over Meta article which is about Rivals!
https://www.reddit.com/r/RivalsOfAe...nd_over_meta_33_rivals_of_aether_includes_an/

Last edited:

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
That response was faster than Jimmy Johns, and they're freaky fast.
I just get notifications for everything RoA. This thread, the subreddit, and most twitch/YouTube channels. Soon though, I will have to stop once there is too much content.

jojr123

Smash Cadet
NNID
jojr123
I had an idea for the stage select screen. Instead of having it as it is (Which is fine of course) But my idea makes it a little less a replica of the smash select screen. You should have a map of the region of Aether, and have red dots that when you hover over them show the stage. That way we can get immersed in the area and story more.
Openlink, this was my idea and you know it. Give credit where it is due. Harumph.

Tf4 | Lukas

Smash Rookie
NNID
soldierofhis95
3DS FC
4167-4487-9196
I'm having some problems getting my 360 Rock Candy controller to work with RoA on Windows 10 and can't play it.. :( Somebody send help! LOL

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
so are we still getting the steam playtester build before the end of this month?
It's not exactly a "Playtester Build"; it's Early Access. It's open to the general public, not just a select few.

Wobz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WobzGames
What will the price of the game be on Steam?
I know RoA is comng to xbone so i wasnt sure if it would be $60 or something less expensive like $20

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
What will the price of the game be on Steam?
I know RoA is comng to xbone so i wasnt sure if it would be $60 or something less expensive like $20
Most likely 15-20

Last edited:

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Hosted a small RoA tournament at our Columbus weekly today with the June-Jully build. Not a ton of people wanted to spend the one dollar to enter (If I do it again I might make it free and just have like a... 5 for the person who gets first or something.) I didnt enter, as a few people thought that was unfair... (But if I do it again I will. As it turns out I am not even the best in Columbus... Maypul-Kragg match up is dumb... Lost a best of five set against the winner right after grand finals.) I recorded most of the matches, I havent checked how they turned out yet, but If they look good I will post them somewhere. If not... maybe I will just make a few gifs of cool stuff? IDK.

EDIT: Probably not actually... The frame rate on the videos is... crazy variable... and Usually low. (Like.. 2.) Maybe If a part where its got a good frame rate matches up with a part thats cool, Ill make a gif, but dont get your hopes up. I will see if i can figure out better recording in the future, its possible though my computer just cant handle it.

Anyway. It went well. 5 person double elimination bracket. Thought about doing round robin, but I only had the one set up. Counter picks were Fire Capital and Maypuls stage. (If I had to do it again maybe I would switch Fire cap for Air armada.) One salty PM guy who didnt want me to explain how the game worked and SD like... a bunch going for the ledge, then forfeited his losers match. Everyone else had a good time. Grand finals was pretty exciting. about as many people as were in the tournament were watching excitedly. I guess here is the bracket on challonge... if anyone cares?

http://challonge.com/Rivalsofdonatos

No big names or anything really. The weekly is in a Donatos... and I am not creative with my naming.. sorry.

In case you care about character placings. 1st was Maypul, 2nd was (mostly) Zetterburn. Third was Mostly Forsburn, and Forth was Orcane. I wouldnt read too much into that though because the placings also approximately followed both PM placings and amount of time with RoA.

Last edited:

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
Hosted a small RoA tournament at our Columbus weekly today with the June-Jully build. Not a ton of people wanted to spend the one dollar to enter (If I do it again I might make it free and just have like a... 5 for the person who gets first or something.) I didnt enter, as a few people thought that was unfair... (But if I do it again I will. As it turns out I am not even the best in Columbus... Maypul-Kragg match up is dumb... Lost a best of five set against the winner right after grand finals.) I recorded most of the matches, I havent checked how they turned out yet, but If they look good I will post them somewhere. If not... maybe I will just make a few gifs of cool stuff? IDK.

EDIT: Probably not actually... The frame rate on the videos is... crazy variable... and Usually low. (Like.. 2.) Maybe If a part where its got a good frame rate matches up with a part thats cool, Ill make a gif, but dont get your hopes up. I will see if i can figure out better recording in the future, its possible though my computer just cant handle it.

Anyway. It went well. 5 person double elimination bracket. Thought about doing round robin, but I only had the one set up. Counter picks were Fire Capital and Maypuls stage. (If I had to do it again maybe I would switch Fire cap for Air armada.) One salty PM guy who didnt want me to explain how the game worked and SD like... a bunch going for the ledge, then forfeited his losers match. Everyone else had a good time. Grand finals was pretty exciting. about as many people as were in the tournament were watching excitedly. I guess here is the bracket on challonge... if anyone cares?

http://challonge.com/Rivalsofdonatos

No big names or anything really. The weekly is in a Donatos... and I am not creative with my naming.. sorry.

In case you care about character placings. 1st was Maypul, 2nd was (mostly) Zetterburn. Third was Mostly Forsburn, and Forth was Orcane. I wouldnt read too much into that though because the placings also approximately followed both PM placings and amount of time with RoA.
I like the trend of Rivals of [City Name] it just rolls of the tongue.

ZaoMonichi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noaharc10
3DS FC
4398-9530-8610
To be fair, I am a Kragg main, and I mostly destroy everyone I play with locally. The only local person to beat me solidly was also playing Kragg... So from personal experience Kragg is definitely great at my level of skill. Which I would say is somewhere in the lower edges of mid, or upper parts of... bad. I am not winning any PM tournaments, or even really placing well. What I worry about is in the top level play that we havent seen yet. (And I hope will exist) Once players better than an "okay" smash player start really mastering the game. It just seems like Kragg with his slower speed and difficulty dealing with people on their parry game might have a lot of trouble. I will be the first to admit though these are not particularly well founded fears, and are definitely just speculation. I could be wrong.

One thing I will add about good ol' Kragg is that his edge guard game is insanely strong. Its kind of crazy.

As for the grab discussion. It is definitely way too late in development to add grabs, and even adding one character with 4 grab directions would be really hard, because then you need 4 new animations for all the other characters in the game, thats like 32 new animations for one move on character 8. I dont disagree that it would be cool, I just dont think it would be practical.
I agree with this fully. Kragg needs an aerial version of down-b and he'll be great. Right now he is limited in terms of landing options besides his side-b, but even that can be trouble-some. I've found a way to get around parrying with his side-b, but I'll talk about that more in a video I'm planning on doing on Kragg really soon. Think ESAM-esque just kinda talk about the character type video.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Why not just "Rivals of Aether" and not try to split up communities until some of them are highly developed?
Because it would be a facebook group for getting together local people to play, organizing local events and interacting with people in the local scene. Not discussing the game in general or organizing large events. Columbus has a group for melee and PM and smash 4 already, and it is mostly used for organizing last minute smashfests, car pools to bigger events and posting things like local power rankings. It just doesnt seem like stuff that everyone needs to see. Right now I sometimes post things in the PM group, but I dont really feel comfortable with that... not that anyone has complained yet, but I am sure someone would if I posted alot. Really I just want a place I can invite people over to play rivals with me without annoying lots of PM people who arent interested. I dont have alot of people in the local scenes phone numbers...

This isnt really that relevant until the early access starts, but I stand by the logic of having a group for people in the area looking to play the game. But I suppose I see your point that if there isnt already a Rivals of Aether facebook group I could be the one to make it, I suppose I am as qualified as anyone short of maybe you and Dan.

theopenlink22

Smash Cadet
I am pumped up! Me and Jojr123 are soon hosting a fairly good sized local Smash 4 tournament! It will be pretty official, with a good sized amount of players. This is a great opportunity to have a small Rivals of Aether tournament, or a plain Rivals of Aether side attractions where people can play each other casually. PM me if you want more information, and I will release more when it gets more organized, but an updated version of ROA would be cool to have at the tournament. Tell me what you think!

jojr123

Smash Cadet
NNID
jojr123
Theopenlink. This is only an idea. I have prior commitments that I need to work on before I start this. Please do not bring me into things I don't need to be brought into. Harrumph.

theopenlink22

Smash Cadet
Theopenlink. This is only an idea. I have prior commitments that I need to work on before I start this. Please do not bring me into things I don't need to be brought into. Harrumph.
It is not just an idea, I don't know why you are angry...

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
idk if this has been addressed, but there is a glitch with Fors in the July build to which his smoke doesn't show up when he does his Neutral B

4nace

Smash Ace
Hey Guys,

Yup Smoke issue will be addressed :).

Back from PAX. Will have an August developer update very soon (as you can tell, it will be a bit late). We will also be revealing our Early Access Launch date quite soon. You can expect Early Access before September is over! I am crunching on so many things this week that I don't have a ton of time to update everyone.

I can say that PAX went incredibly well. It was awesome meeting so many fans and having some top smashers / streamers play. GIMR, TK Breezy, Shofu and even Leffen stopped by to play a few rounds. I slept for 12 hours straight post-PAX but I didn't come down with the PAX plague for development is full steam ahead (you get ittttt???). Trevor was doing some awesome work on menus while I was away and I can't wait for you guys to see what we have in store later this month.

Thanks,
Dan

4nace

Smash Ace
Top Bottom