• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

steak4prez

Smash Cadet
Things Dan said at SmashCon (hopefully ok to share):
Early Access next month, will not include characters #7 and #8
Will include Versus Mode, Practice Mode, and Online Versus
Full release in JANUARY/FEBRUARY
Custom colors will be an in-game feature exclusive to Abyss Versus Mode (which has other customization options too)
Game will only have balance changes during Early Access, no balance changes intended post-release

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Game will only have balance changes during Early Access, no balance changes intended post-release
Dan stated balance changes will occur post release if there are any major problems with balance, or bug fixes.

What platforms is this coming out for again? Steam and Xbox? No Wii U?
As this game is made with Game Maker Studio, GMS doesn't have the tools to export to Wii U. So just Steam and XB1 as of now.

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking of running 3 stocks, and as far as stages go, I wanted to run:

Starters
  • Air Armada (A)
  • Merchant Port (B)
  • Treetop Lodge (B)
Counterpicks
  • The Rock Wall (B)
  • Fire Capitol (B)
Air Armada's Aether form is probably the least intrusive one, and I was considering Aether Merchant Port because of the rotating platforms, but I'm not a fan of the water coming out. Treetop Lodge has that plant, The Rock Wall has walk-offs and Fire Capitol feels too big and cramped at the same time (huge stage, cramped because of wall). I may just roll with all Basics though, with no banning as you said, just to allow for experimentation.
I think it's worth mentioning that I also had to cut down on which form I wanted to run when the game kinda drops frames when too many "particles" show up on screen (Forsburn's smoke, the water pillars from Merchant Port, etc.). It might just be my awful laptop at work, but I'm counting on someone else's to do the job (with an USB of course, I don't plan on giving out the build).

It's all for the sake of experimenting though so if I ever bring my build any other times I will probably adjust things depending on how it goes.
I like how we are looking for a unified rule set (the smash 4 community is having a lot of problems about that). I agree with everything you have but don't think treetop lodge would be a good starter, and would replace it with the rock wall as I see it as a more neutral stage due to a more average size and platforms. Otherwise I agree. A couple other things I think should be considered: order of events (character select before or after stage striking and some smaller details), handling time outs (once timer is added), if gentlemans are acceptable, and if daves stupid rule should apply. Here is my overall rule set proposal: (spoiler so you can scroll on by)

3 Stock

Starters
  • Air armada (B)
  • Merchant port (B)
  • The rock wall (B)
Counter picks
  • Tree top lodge (B)
  • Fire Capitol (B)
Order of events
  • Winner picks character (if first match, both pick)
  • Loser picks character
  • Winner strikes 2 stages (or each strikes one if first match, Rock Paper Scissors may be necessary)
  • Loser picks stage
Gentlemans are fine, but be explicit about it. Dave's stupid rule applies.
This is just my opinion.

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
Custom colors will be an in-game feature exclusive to Abyss Versus Mode (which has other customization options too)
Wow! This is all great news (except for [REDACTED]* fans) online was previously stated as "might not work out for Early access" but yay! It's in. Abyss vs. sounds interesting. Balance changes only during Early access is actually a relief, as it seems to cramp the smash 4 meta and fuels complaints about top tiers. EARLY ACCESS HYPE!

*[REDACTED] is a great name :p

Last edited:

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
I cant seem to find where to go to sign up for a beta key so im just gonna ask here.
It's not an open beta key, it's more closed alpha right now. Read the original post, the details on what to do to apply for playtesting are there somewhere.
I like how we are looking for a unified rule set (the smash 4 community is having a lot of problems about that). I agree with everything you have but don't think treetop lodge would be a good starter, and would replace it with the rock wall as I see it as a more neutral stage due to a more average size and platforms. Otherwise I agree. A couple other things I think should be considered: order of events (character select before or after stage striking and some smaller details), handling time outs (once timer is added), if gentlemans are acceptable, and if daves stupid rule should apply. Here is my overall rule set proposal: (spoiler so you can scroll on by)

3 Stock

Starters
  • Air armada (B)
  • Merchant port (B)
  • The rock wall (B)
Counter picks
  • Tree top lodge (B)
  • Fire Capitol (B)
Order of events
  • Winner picks character (if first match, both pick)
  • Loser picks character
  • Winner strikes 2 stages (or each strikes one if first match, Rock Paper Scissors may be necessary)
  • Loser picks stage
Gentlemans are fine, but be explicit about it. Dave's stupid rule applies.
This is just my opinion.
I think that's good. I would probably ban stages > pick characters though. And this is probably dumb, but what's Dave's stupid rule?

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
I am pretty sure it is that you cant pick a stage you already won on. I am not sure why its called that though.

The only thing I would change from jam1's suggestions is one ban. I just dont like that they could ban all the counterpicks (Admittedly there are only two counterpick stages...).

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
There's too few stages to make a stage list yet.

I'll figure out which stages have the biggest and smallest blastzones either tonight or tomorrow and you all can go from there

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
For the first event I do I'll probably just run every basic stage with no bans so people experiment with it. After that I may do something else, but since the game is still alpha and I'm just allowing them to experiment with it in a tournament format, so being too strict and serious about rules right now isn't too necessary.

Last edited:

Big Papi

Smash Cadet
NNID
BigPapi
@ Puppyfaic Puppyfaic @ jam1garner jam1garner

Bottom of merchant port is perfectly visible. Air armada on the other hand needs to have slightly transparent clouds.

Fire capital should be a counter pick (with timer). No need to ban that.

Reidlos Toof

Foot Dive!
Really no point in me getting early access then if the first secret character won't be included. Only one that made me interested in the game. Looking forward to full release.

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
Hey, do you know how Early Access will work? Do you have to pay for it? And if so, do you get the full game for free when it comes out if you bought early access?

ZaoMonichi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noaharc10
3DS FC
4398-9530-8610
I agree with that Starter / Counterpick list, except I also think that switching RW and TL would be smart too. Starters should basically be the most balanced stages. RW is flat and open with platforms on the sides meaning that it's probably one of the most neutral stages in the game. AA can't work well because of how open it is and how much it sucks for Kragg due to being able to get caught at the bottom of the stage. TL has a great amount of platforms on a small stage, which makes it good for characters who juggle and bad for characters who don't have good landing options.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
There's too few stages to make a stage list yet.

I'll figure out which stages have the biggest and smallest blastzones either tonight or tomorrow and you all can go from there
I have to agree here. I still despise Fire Capitol, though.

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
It's not an open beta key, it's more closed alpha right now. Read the original post, the details on what to do to apply for playtesting are there somewhere.

I think that's good. I would probably ban stages > pick characters though. And this is probably dumb, but what's Dave's stupid rule?
Dave's stupid rule is you can't counter pick to a stage you won on.
I am pretty sure it is that you cant pick a stage you already won on. I am not sure why its called that though.

The only thing I would change from jam1's suggestions is one ban. I just dont like that they could ban all the counterpicks (Admittedly there are only two counterpick stages...).
Yep, that is what dave's stupid rule. There is no specific reason I choose two. Perhaps one would be better. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I agree with that Starter / Counterpick list, except I also think that switching RW and TL would be smart too. Starters should basically be the most balanced stages. RW is flat and open with platforms on the sides meaning that it's probably one of the most neutral stages in the game. AA can't work well because of how open it is and how much it sucks for Kragg due to being able to get caught at the bottom of the stage. TL has a great amount of platforms on a small stage, which makes it good for characters who juggle and bad for characters who don't have good landing options.
You summed up my reasoning very well!

Big Papi

Smash Cadet
NNID
BigPapi
I always jumped to the conclusion that only basic stages would be viable. But aether version of air armada is potentially viable since you need double jump to get to the platforms on basic version. And the trampoline doesn't activate unless you full hop.

Miko

Smash Cadet
I commented a day or so ago but didn't get a response, from the other comments though I gather there's a new build, which I can't find - would anybody be able to help me with this?

Tf4 | Lukas

Smash Rookie
NNID
soldierofhis95
3DS FC
4167-4487-9196
Will there be an update including Absa for playtesters or is there just not much reason for one? I'm just curious as to what's going on and the state of everything right now.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
I commented a day or so ago but didn't get a response, from the other comments though I gather there's a new build, which I can't find - would anybody be able to help me with this?
There is not a new playtester build. There was an update to the june build in early july that added some minor nerfs to Maypul, thats all. You can redownload it from the link you were sent when you were accepted as a playtester. (Assuming you are a playtester? otherwise you are out of luck)

@ Tf4 | Lukas Tf4 | Lukas As for whether or not any more builds will be sent out with Absa in them. I believe in the past Dan has said there wouldnt be more playtester builds sent out after the June one. And there has been no indication of one coming... So saddly, I think No. =,,( About which I am quite sad. Early access is in less than a month though, So I guess Dan is probably focusing much more on getting that ready than working on Absa. Maybe a ways into early access Absa will be added? Thats my hope.

Because I am all about the magic characters, and the lightning characters. So I can not wait to play as Absa.

Last edited:

Miko

Smash Cadet
Ahh, I never got the June build; that's a shame, I thought I gave good feedback for the build before it :( I had exams in June and a placement in July, don't know why that would have affected anything though

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Many people were taken out of the June build. Hell, the June build had the smallest amount of testers I think.
Started around 40 people total for the june build I think. And technically there's an august build with like 3 people who have it right now lol

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
Do we have the exact date for the early access? And do you have to pay for it, or is it free? And if you do have to pay for it, do you get the full game for free when it comes out if you get the early access?

Miko

Smash Cadet
Ahh, I feel a little better if I'm not the only one who was cut! Would like to test it again though if I'm needed, I have a knack for finding bugs :3

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Loved playing the game at Smash Con. I love Absa. Sad to hear shes not gonna be in the early acess build. How much is that gonna cost btw?

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET A BUILD THAT HAS ABSA IN IT? I'LL DO ANYTHING JUST LET ME USE HER MORE. I love her so much. She was the only character I used at Smashcon. She has stolen my heart.
Wait until full release or hope more alpha builds come out before full release. I can't give you any other answer than that.

And cost is not set but expected to range from 15-25 dollars

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Wait until full release or hope more alpha builds come out before full release. I can't give you any other answer than that.

And cost is not set but expected to range from 15-25 dollars
You are killing me. I put in so much work with Absa at smash con. As soon as I get a build with her in it, I'm going to play a bunch of 99 stock matches with her. I am the best Absa in the world!

steak4prez

Smash Cadet
This is a little late but I had a great time meeting the developers if you guys are reading this. (Also I think I was mishearing you guys when asking to sign up for that tournament Saturday evening... sorry if I made that awkward?) Also my friend who I signed up for the newletter says thanks for the Kragg keychain. Are you guys looking at any other conventions/events to bring the game to?

Dan stated balance changes will occur post release if there are any major problems with balance, or bug fixes.
Yeah, I figured people would take that for granted but maybe not, thanks for pointing it out.

Hey, do you know how Early Access will work? Do you have to pay for it? And if so, do you get the full game for free when it comes out if you bought early access?
I have no idea, sorry. I don't think they've said anything about it yet.

Orcane is either broken or I'm the best Orcane player in the world.
Possibly both of these are true? I remember playing you in one of the Bo1 side tourneys they were running, your Orcane play was gross. :) If you remember, my tag was Steak and I played Wrastor. Really sad that our set was only Bo1, playing against you was fun! I would've loved to learn the Wrastor vs. Orcane matchup more.

Also, I hate to be "that guy" correcting your English, but:
Wrastor needs nerfs. Like, just all around.
It looks here like you spelled "buffs" wrong. :upsidedown:

I put in so much work with Absa at smash con. As soon as I get a build with her in it, I'm going to play a bunch of 99 stock matches with her. I am the best Absa in the world!
Were you the guy with the tag "Yen"? If so, it was cool how dedicated you were to learning the character so quick. I really enjoyed playing you too!
If that's not you at all then woops nevermind... I'm sure your Absa game is ridiculous though!

Last edited:

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Possibly both of these are true? I remember playing you in one of the Bo1 side tourneys they were running, your Orcane play was gross. :) If you remember, my tag was Steak and I played Wrastor. Really sad that our set was only Bo1, playing against you was fun! I would've loved to learn the Wrastor vs. Orcane matchup more.
I remember someone with the tag "Steak". I'm glad I didn't have to play more because I REALLY hated the gamecube controller for RoA. Xbone is just so much better. That and the fact that you played Wrastor. I really really ****ing hate that bird.

Last edited:

steak4prez

Smash Cadet
I remember someone with the tag "Steak". I'm glad I didn't have to play more because I REALLY hated the gamecube controller for RoA. Xbone is just so much better. That and the fact that you played Wrastor. I really really ****ing hate that bird.
Haha. What things do you dislike about Wrastor?

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
This is a little late but I had a great time meeting the developers if you guys are reading this. (Also I think I was mishearing you guys when asking to sign up for that tournament Saturday evening... sorry if I made that awkward?) Also my friend who I signed up for the newletter says thanks for the Kragg keychain. Are you guys looking at any other conventions/events to bring the game to?

Yeah, I figured people would take that for granted but maybe not, thanks for pointing it out.

I have no idea, sorry. I don't think they've said anything about it yet.

Also, I hate to be "that guy" correcting your English, but:

It looks here like you spelled "buffs" wrong. :upsidedown:

Were you the guy with the tag "Yen"? If so, it was cool how dedicated you were to learning the character so quick. I really enjoyed playing you too!
If that's not you at all then woops nevermind... I'm sure your Absa game is ridiculous though!
I wasn't Yen but I remember him. I'm a better Absa than him. I picked up on Absa pretty fast. I really wish I couls play her more.

Slyzir

Smash Rookie
I heard the alpha comes out this month? I can't wait anymore! I WANT TO PLAY ROA NOW! Any updates?

Top Bottom